"Clap for that you stupid bastards"

Auburnfan91

Joe Biden - March 7, 2016 Al Dhafra airbase.                                                                                                                              

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine being upset about this, but not about a current sitting president calling dead soldiers losers. FOH. Wave your whataboutism flag, I’ll help you hoist it. 

Biden is likely trying to appeal to his audience, by giving them a ribbing a la:

I work with a Marine that has seen some s***. I call him many worse things than a “stupid bastard” and he reciprocates. 

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Biden is likely trying to appeal to his audience, by giving them a ribbing

I’m sorry but no. I can’t get on board with that attempt of justification. It was a stupid statement by someone that should know better. Let’s not justify an inappropriate statement just because we hate the other so much. This was inappropriate just like Trump’s “loser” comment. 

leave it to a trump culter to only post half the truth. why am i not surprised?

Biden Team Confirms Biden Told Troops To “Clap For That, You Stupid Bastards”

Founder Jacob Palmieri Our Founder

962-1.png

According to an exclusive from The Daily Beast Joe Biden’s team has confirmed the comments made in the recently resurfaced video of Joe Biden talking to U.S Troops.

EXCLUSIVE: Joe Biden’s campaign has confirmed the accuracy of a recently resurfaced video showing him jokingly calling military troops “stupid bastards” and “a dull bunch,” but said that they were made in jest https://t.co/j8OveTsRL1

— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) September 25, 2020

The Daily Beast:

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s campaign has confirmed the accuracy of a recently resurfaced video showing him jokingly calling military troops “stupid bastards” and “a dull bunch” during a trip overseas, but said that they were made in jest as a way to garner greater applause for a female service member’s commitment to the country.

“Vice President Biden was jokingly encouraging the audience to clap for an airwoman on the stage, and a number of service members can be seen laughing and smiling at the comment. Seconds before, he praised them for ‘the incredible sacrifices [they] make for our country,’” Biden campaign spokesperson Andrew Bates told The Daily Beast exclusively in a statement.

“He thanked them for their patriotism and courage throughout, and closed his remarks by saying, ‘you’re the finest generation of warriors the world has ever, ever known’—receiving an enthusiastic ovation,” Bates said.

Biden made the utterance during a speech in Abu Dhabi on March 7, 2016 while he was serving under former President Barack Obama. He said: “I’ve been in and out of the Balkans 25 times; in and out of Iraq 26 times; in and out of Afghanistan about 10 or 12 times. And I have one regret every time I’m with you all—and I mean this sincerely—is the folks back home can’t see you; can’t see you in place. Don’t get to fly on the mission with you. Don’t understand—they appreciate, but they don’t fully understand the incredible sacrifices you make for our country,” according to the official transcript, which was archived in the White House’s Office of the Vice President.

Maybe Biden shouldn’t have pushed that Atlantic hoax!
Video from 2016 has resurfaced showing Joe Biden telling U.S Troops abroad to “Clap for that, you stupid bastards”.

Joe Biden to our troops: “Clap for that, you stupid bastards” pic.twitter.com/9sqYPhkh3S

2 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

I’m sorry but no. I can’t get on board with that attempt of justification. It was a stupid statement by someone that should know better. Let’s not justify an inappropriate statement just because we hate the other so much. This was inappropriate just like Trump’s “loser” comment. 

“Vice President Biden was jokingly encouraging the audience to clap for an airwoman on the stage, and a number of service members can be seen laughing and smiling at the comment. Seconds before, he praised them for ‘the incredible sacrifices [they] make for our country,’” Biden campaign spokesperson Andrew Bates told The Daily Beast exclusively in a statement.

“He thanked them for their patriotism and courage throughout, and closed his remarks by saying, ‘you’re the finest generation of warriors the world has ever, ever known’—receiving an enthusiastic ovation,” Bates said.

Biden made the utterance during a speech in Abu Dhabi on March 7, 2016 while he was serving under former President Barack Obama. He said: “I’ve been in and out of the Balkans 25 times; in and out of Iraq 26 times; in and out of Afghanistan about 10 or 12 times. And I have one regret every time I’m with you all—and I mean this sincerely—is the folks back home can’t see you; can’t see you in place. Don’t get to fly on the mission with you. Don’t understand—they appreciate, but they don’t fully understand the incredible sacrifices you make for our country,” according to the official transcript, which was archived in the White House’s Office of the Vice President.

this is what we call military humor  and if you have never served you would probably never understand. and it is quite a stretch to compare military humor with calling our war dead losers. but jey keep trying!

leave it to trumpers to post only part of the story. especially the praise part which when all read together it clearly shows biden was joking.

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

this is what we call military humor  and if you have never served you would probably never understand. and it is quite a stretch to compare military humor with calling our war dead losers. but jey keep trying!

So I guess this is case in point “know the whole story”. Kinda like believing everything you read on the internet. Like choosing to believe someone said something when there are some that said it happened and some that said it didn’t. 

And I’m fully aware of military humor.

1 hour ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

So I guess this is case in point “know the whole story”. Kinda like believing everything you read on the internet. Like choosing to believe someone said something when there are some that said it happened and some that said it didn’t. 

And I’m fully aware of military humor.

i never said it did not happen. but it looks bad because the whole speech was not published. and why would bidens folks  not denie it if it was harmful? i will assume you were not trying to be dishonest leaving the clarifying parts out. and lets not forget biden had a son that served as well. good grief.

2 hours ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

I mean, you can hear it in his voice that it wasn’t malicious, but okay. 

19 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I mean, you can hear it in his voice that it wasn’t malicious, but okay. 

“You could hear in Trump’s voice that he was upset to learn that RBG passed away”

You wouldn’t believe that BS would you?
These are professional BSers we are talking about. So no I wouldn’t believe what I hear even if he had a Bible in his hand.(jab intended at POTUS)

This is Biden being folksy like the “he’s going to put you back in chains” comment.  It’s just stupid, but that is who he is.  Not very Presidential to say the least.  I wonder if he has changed?

Biden was clearly joking. It doesn't mean that he does or does not respect the people he was speaking to. He was also not being politically correct. People who get bent out of shape over the comment are being petty except for the issue of the double standard that exists. We all know what would happen if Trump said the same thing.

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is Biden being folksy like the “he’s going to put you back in chains” comment.  It’s just stupid, but that is who he is.  Not very Presidential to say the least.  I wonder if he has changed?

The "chains" comment was not folksy at all. It was dead serious that Romney wanted to re-enslave blacks nationwide.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I served 20 years and am familiar with military humor. Nobody likes to be called a stupid bastard even in jest.  He may have been attempting to establish some rapport with people he assumes use foul language regularly like he does (big f***ing deal to an open mike). It clearly fell flat since the troops had NO respect for him as VP. And specifically for you fitty, he shouldn't have called them bastards, most of their parents could read. 

It was certainly a joke. It was funny ( to me). It was not a good idea. The PROBLEM IS::::::If the other guy, you know the orange man said it ,the loony left would be loosing their ******* minds. 

I knew someone would post this talking point without checking first:

Also, if it’s Friday, you’re going to get some news dumps or oppo dumps. And sure enough, there was one. A four year old video of Vice President Biden, while in office, referring to our troops as “stupid bastards.” 

It’s weird that this would be something other than a ginned up controversy because in March, 2016, I was the deputy online editor of The Weekly Standard and if there were serious allegations that a sitting VP—especially a Democrat—called our troops, and meant it, “stupid bastards” I would have heard about it. It’s catnip for the rightwing zeitgeist. 

But do you want to know something? It wasn’t. Because it was a nothingburger. 

This video is making the rounds on the pro-Trump right, not just on social media, but in outlets that pretend they’re not pro-Trump.

I watched this three year old video of the speech from a different angle and none of it made sense to me. It never took off, and there’s good reason: the context, which neither clip shows. 

Ask yourself this, why would Jill Biden, whose stepson is a veteran, clap at her husband calling the military “stupid bastards?” It makes no sense. Why would military service members clap or even smirk? 

Well, here’s the context of Biden’s remarks, given at a base in the UAE on March 7, 2016:

Thank you.  (Applause.)  Hello!  (Applause.)  It’s great to see you all.  Jill and I are really honored to be here.  I’ve been doing this job for a while, and everywhere I go I see warriors like all of you before me and behind me here.  Excuse my back, folks.

I’ve been in and out of the Balkans 25 times; in and out of Iraq 26 times; in and out of Afghanistan about 10 or 12 times.  And I have one regret every time I’m with you all -- and I mean this sincerely -- is the folks back home can't see you; can't see you in place.  Don't get to fly on the mission with you.  Don't understand -- they appreciate, but they don't fully understand the incredible sacrifices you make for our country. 

And I want you to know notwithstanding what you may here about me, I have incredibly good judgment.  One, I married Jill.  And two, I appointed Johnson to the academy.  I just want you to know that.  Clap for that, you stupid bastards.  (Applause.)  Come on, man.

Man, you are a dull bunch.  Must be slow here, man.  I don't know.  

Look, in full disclosure, Lieutenant Johnson, she came to see me in 2008 and I appointed her -- back in the days of the Senate.  And I had the great privilege of nominating her to the Air Force Academy.  And I’m so proud to see how here career has advanced.

I also want to thank very much, Brigadier General Orcutt for welcoming me and my family here today.  And we know you all -- the temp ops here is pretty high, and you got better things to do than come and see Jill and me.  But we never pass up an opportunity wherever we are around the world to try to see our warriors.

Yeah, so what do you know, the Trump campaign and its toadies are going to promote a false narrative for President Deferment? Of course.

I did something I rarely do, which is perform a random act of journalism, as opposed to punditry, and here’s what Andrew Bates, Rapid Response Director for the Biden campaign had to say:

Vice President Biden was jokingly encouraging the audience to clap for an airwoman on the stage, and a number of service members can be seen laughing and smiling at the comment. Seconds before, he praised them for 'the incredible sacrifices [they] make for our country." He thanked them for their patriotism and courage throughout, and closed his remarks by saying, 'you’re the finest generation of warriors the world has ever, ever known' - receiving an enthusiastic ovation.

https://overtime.thebulwark.com/p/did-joe-biden-really-call-our-troops

Y’all are as predictable as a sundial. 

31 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I knew someone would post this talking point without checking first:

Y’all are as predictable as a sundial. 

What needs fact checking? Are you saying he didn't say it?

22 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

<_<

You’re not dense, Grumps. Don’t act like i am either. 

I apologize. I misread your post. I thought it said "fact-checking" and it said "checking first."

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

I served 20 years and am familiar with military humor. Nobody likes to be called a stupid bastard even in jest.  He may have been attempting to establish some rapport with people he assumes use foul language regularly like he does (big f***ing deal to an open mike). It clearly fell flat since the troops had NO respect for him as VP. And specifically for you fitty, he shouldn't have called them bastards, most of their parents could read. 

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

i can't help what you feel buddy. he praised them several times and the joke is older than i am. the fact you never heard it or act like it makes your opinion suspect as usual. i cannot help it if you like that wanker who throws the military under the bus regularly. biden knows how it works he had a son serve. you will say anything to deny a fair point there snowflake. it is your m.o. all you do is fly by's taking personal shots as a general rule or asking people to leave the forum. and the fact you love that piece of trash invalidates every single thing you say in my eyes................

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i can't help what you feel buddy. he praised them several times and the joke is older than i am. the fact you never heard it or act like it makes your opinion suspect as usual. i cannot help it if you like that wanker who throws the military under the bus regularly. biden knows how it works he had a son serve. you will say anything to deny a fair point there snowflake. it is your m.o. all you do is fly by's taking personal shots as a general rule or asking people to leave the forum. and the fact you love that piece of trash invalidates every single thing you say in my eyes................

I don't feel anything buddy. Is the old joke the one where he says clap you stupid bastard? Not really funny. Sorry I don't know how old you are. Trump loves the military and has supported them solidly. I don't love that piece of trash. I voted for him because I liked his campaign promises many of which he has kept. And Hillary, well, should be in prison for her email server, leaving people to die, selling the office.  That was only for you because of your response that was, well, leaveworthy.  And you couldn't be more wrong about personal shots. I take shots at issues and responses to those issues.  I will say I RARELY take personal shots because I don't remember doing it but you may be able to find one.  And I could not possibly care less if you think every single thing I say is invalid because I chose the candidate that you did not choose.

4 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

I don't feel anything buddy. Is the old joke the one where he says clap you stupid bastard? Not really funny. Sorry I don't know how old you are. Trump loves the military and has supported them solidly. I don't love that piece of trash. I voted for him because I liked his campaign promises many of which he has kept. And Hillary, well, should be in prison for her email server, leaving people to die, selling the office.  That was only for you because of your response that was, well, leaveworthy.  And you couldn't be more wrong about personal shots. I take shots at issues and responses to those issues.  I will say I RARELY take personal shots because I don't remember doing it but you may be able to find one.  And I could not possibly care less if you think every single thing I say is invalid because I chose the candidate that you did not choose.

I got accused of taking personal shots for having a different opinion as well on here. Welcome to the club, I’m sure there will be more to join. lol 

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

dude you are lying right now. you just told me to leave the forums a few days back and what was sad you did not understand what i was saying so i had to draw you a picture. you voted for trump you own him.

3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I got accused of taking personal shots for having a different opinion as well on here. Welcome to the club, I’m sure there will be more to join. lol 

I've been in the club for 4  years. It's a blast! Enjoy fellas!

Archived