Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Kentucky

JMR

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Kentucky
  • RunInRed featured this topic

Probably stating the obvious but I'm surprised no shout outs for the WRs ... Seth Williams, obviously, but I also thought Stove and Schwartz played well.

Also, @JMR what's your take on the RB situation.  Were you surprised we didn't see MAR?  Personally, I love Shivers but don't see him being the feature back we need - which is why I was very surprised to see him named the starter.

Britt is also a man among boys out there.

Lastly, you're higher on the DL than I am ... no rush or really backfield penetration all game.

• Like 2

Great observations as usual, Coach!  One thing that struck me was how good a team UK is this year -- their OL is pretty stout & QB Wilson was doing pretty good until his unforced fumble.  I believe they are going to be big factor in deciding the SEC East this year.   

3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Probably stating the obvious but I'm surprised no shout outs for the WRs ... Seth Williams, obviously, but I also thought Stove and Schwartz played well.

Also, @JMR what's your take on the RB situation.  Were you surprised we didn't see MAR?  Personally, I love Shivers but don't see him being the feature back we need - which is why I was very surprised to see him named the starter.

Lastly, you're higher on the DL than I am ... no rush or really backfield penetration all game.

I was (obviously) impressed with Seth on the fifty-fifty balls, but thought he might have had a couple he didn't get.  I'm high on Schwartz, Stove, and even young Capers, but Bo seems to get fixated on Seth at times. Hopefully that will work itself out. 

I thought our DL started out way too tentative. Whether that was due to UK's OL being good, inexperience, butterflies, or what, I don't know. But I thought the guys I mentioned came on quite a bit later in the game. Kentucky's OL actually began to wear down (IMO). And the DL play after UK had a first down inside the two was actually pretty stout. That doesn't apply to everybody, of course, but those I thought didn't exactly distinguish themselves shall remain nameless until they've had chance to redeem themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

About the running backs:  I agree about Shivers. Love the kid, but he's not built to be a feature back. Don't know what the deal was with MAR. Hopefully we will get to see him one day. The guy I'm excited about is Bigsby.  His timing was a little off, but he's much quicker and faster than I thought. If he is the worker he's reported to be, we will see a ton of him before the season is over.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Shivers is out there for his tenacity and his leadership. He deserves to play every game, but that is a role they are going to have to divide among guys, for sure. I think we could have seen more out of Worm if he hadn't hurt his ankle. Dude is fast!

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

41 minutes ago, JMR said:

About the running backs:  I agree about Shivers. Love the kid, but he's not built to be a feature back. Don't know what the deal was with MAR. Hopefully we will get to see him one day. The guy I'm excited about is Bigsby.  His timing was a little off, but he's much quicker and faster than I thought. If he is the worker he's reported to be, we will see a ton of him before the season is over.

@Barnacle

Really liked the analysis and would like to eloborate on using the running backs as check downs which is good but I would also like to see the backs used in the screen game as an extension of our running game by getting the backs outside the box.

19 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Thank you! He can play a big role in the offense, but he just can't be the "guy" with his size

Right, need Tank to emerge as our guy. If he woulda read blocks better vs UK he would have more yardage. Game will slow down for him. Use worm like mccalebb, he's just a speed bump in pass protection and DJ can get you that 3rd and short. 

I just like having a dominant RB. 

thanks coach! your insight is something i have really enjoyed and i also realize it takes away from your personal time so i know you do it at some cost. to me that just makes it more special and is in the spirit of the auburn family. thanks again and war eagle!

As always, thank you JMR!

I liked Seth Williams’ play as well, however I hope Seth tones down his actions after the catch.  I was surprised some of those were not flagged.  Don’t stop, just tone it down a tad so no flags are thrown.  

• Like 3

Good stuff, thanks!

Football can be paradoxical - I thoroughly agree with you that Mark Stoops teams are virtually always fundamentally sound. His record as a head coach now is also 44-45. 

I feel like the lack of backs and TEs in the passing game is more to do with a skeletal gameplan than Chad just not having them. I think between the new OLmen and everything else, they just didn't want to do too much 

but checkdowns definitely wouldve been nice 

• Like 1

Thanks JMR for your expert insights. Like you, I noticed Bo continuing to throw off his back foot. You'd think a year of off-season would have corrected this, Still, I was glad to see that he was working more from he pocket.

And Seth is THE MAN! Shrove got some catches, but like to see Mr Speed Schwarz get the ball more often.

Alas, what happened to the TEs? All this conversation during off-season about Morris using the TEs more in the passing game. Is this on Bo r Morris? I dunno. Waiting! Let's do it!

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

Appreciate the encouragement for the OL!  

Even listening on the radio, I sensed maybe KY was getting tired in 4th, your comments about how we got better later in the game were very interesting.  KY was a tough, experienced opponent, but maybe we outnumbered them?

Finally, I love Chad Morris, but do we need a QB coach that can take Bo to the point where he doesn't have to "focus" on his footwork?   ;D

@McLoofus I hear you.

That RB situation is going to be interesting to watch. Hope Shivers' injury won't slow him down against Georgia. He and Tank are the only backs I'm interested in seeing at this point. Also, so much hype about MAR, yet we don't see him?

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

As always, thank you JMR!

I liked Seth Williams’ play as well, however I hope Seth tones down his actions after the catch.  I was surprised some of those were not flagged.  Don’t stop, just tone it down a tad so no flags are thrown.  

I don't get the showboating. :no:  Well, I suppose I do, but its so counter-productive. 

He's good enough for his highlights to speak for themselves. If he just acted like "oh well, just another day at the office" he'd become famous as hell!  Too bad he's not allowed to have a manager. ;D

Edited by homersapien

35 minutes ago, AURex said:

Thanks JMR for your expert insights. Like you, I noticed Bo continuing to throw off his back foot. You'd think a year of off-season would have corrected this, Still, I was glad to see that he was working more from he pocket.

And Seth is THE MAN! Shrove got some catches, but like to see Mr Speed Schwarz get the ball more often.

Alas, what happened to the TEs? All this conversation during off-season about Morris using the TEs more in the passing game. Is this on Bo r Morris? I dunno. Waiting! Let's do it!

Taking about TE’s I would love to see what would happen if they got the ball to that big Pegues kid and got him loose in the secondary.   It would be fun to see a DB try to get that 300 lbs on the ground!

• Like 1