Biggest surprise Saturday?

Tigerpro2a

I would like to know who or what was your biggest positive surprise on Saturday. There are several guys that surprised me, but to me Jaylon Simpson balled out. I was very happy to see his play. McCreary is gonna McCreary and we know that...but Simp looked very good in coverage and tackling in run support.

I think by mid season our DBS are going to be a great group. I am more worried about Safeties at this point than I am Corners. Smoke has to be good with his mind and not get behind because his speed is not elite. Sherwood is a freak period. So give me your thoughts.

Just want to take this opportunity to say I’m super proud of jaylin. Dude was doubted by everybody. I remember the UGA people were big about saying he’ll never make it, he’ll transfer, that he’d get eaten alive Bc of where he played HS ball. This would be a great game for him breakout.

Also agree on all your points on this one. Smoke has a lot of skills but you’re spot on on the speed IMO. Playing smart  and his ball hawk mentality is the key to his success IMO.

Give me a big surprise was how crisp we look considering there was no spring camp. Penalties weren't to atrocious. Weren't many missed assignments

16 minutes ago, shabby said:

Give me a big surprise was how crisp we look considering there was no spring camp. Penalties weren't to atrocious. Weren't many missed assignments

Good point. One of the cleaner opening games we have played under CGM and that is great considering no spring. 

We lost Brown and Davidson but I’m excited to see Wooden and  Newkirk grow this season. Our pass protection was also a lot better than I expected too. If these guys gel we have a chance to have some really exciting offensive games, IMO 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

We lost Brown and Davidson but I’m excited to see Wooden and  Newkirk grow this season. Our pass protection was also a lot better than I expected too. If these guys gel we have a chance to have some really exciting offensive games, IMO 

I thought Newkirk played extremely well. I do not think he will ever be Derrick Brown good, obviously, but I see him being a force this year. I could see him getting 3 more sacks. 

49 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I would like to know who or what was your biggest positive surprise on Saturday. There are several guys that surprised me, but to me Jaylon Simpson balled out. I was very happy to see his play. McCreary is gonna McCreary and we know that...but Simp looked very good in coverage and tackling in run support.

I think by mid season our DBS are going to be a great group. I am more worried about Safeties at this point than I am Corners. Smoke has to be good with his mind and not get behind because his speed is not elite. Sherwood is a freak period. So give me your thoughts.

I thought I saw Simpson limping off the field as if he had a hammy pull.  I would assume all is fine?

I actually thought Simpson would be great coming out of HS. Usually I am wrong haha. 
good surprise: stove... I know, crazy. I have doubted him for too long and he is just really good. 
bad surprise: the LBs other than Britt really struggled in the first half. KY has their way with us over and over - 41 plays in the first half. They played better in the second half. 

16 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I actually thought Simpson would be great coming out of HS. Usually I am wrong haha. 
good surprise: stove... I know, crazy. I have doubted him for too long and he is just really good. 
bad surprise: the LBs other than Britt really struggled in the first half. KY has their way with us over and over - 41 plays in the first half. They played better in the second half. 

Yea they had some bad run fits a few times. I thought the group as a whole played much much better 2nd half. All 3 of them had pretty good ganes once they settled in. Did anyone ever see a 4th LB? I saw Sherwood play up close a few times lined up similar to a LB but I do not remember seeing any 4th LB.

Just now, augolf1716 said:

I don't remember us running a speed sweep!!!! Shocked if true

We didn't run a single one. I honestly expected it to be one of the first 2-3 plays....that shows even more that Chad Morris is in control

Biggest surprise? My 6 month old being awake and not crying for the entirety of the game.

Ahhh....she is a true tiger already. It warms my heart. 

On topic...seeing an athletic big man on kickoffs. What a sight to behold!

Bro Hamm is aggressive. He attacks his guy and as the play moves away from him he seeks other people to hit. That’s an AU O-lineman! So happy for him. 

Have to agree about Simpson. I wasn't worried- he beat out real football players for the job- but DAMN he was good.

Biggest surprise was what I perceived to be a lot of mistakes from the LBs and safeties. Nothing atrocious but more than I expected.

Thought we'd see MAR. And TEs more active in the passing game. But as the game unfolded and given how our schedule is laid out it makes sense.

I can’t pick just one, but I’ve narrowed it to three:

1. The secondary didn’t miss a beat. Mccreary did so well that we only heard his name mentioned on that INT. Tutt played one of the best games I’ve seen him play. The safeties kept big plays to a minimum. Simpson is going to be a baller. Guys, we have two lockdown corners!

2. Gus has completely let go. I expected to see some standard Gus plays mixed with a better route tree and more balance. The typical Gus plays were nowhere to be found. For now at least, it looks like Chad has complete control. 

3. Shivers was freakin electric before he tweaked his leg. If he can stay healthy, he can be a beast of a running back. Part of me wonders if the low number of rush attempts and shivers staying out in the second half was to make sure he was healthy for next week. 

First , KY is good - on both sides of the line. 

I am not knowledgeable enough to be "surprised", but I am very encouraged by our performance in pretty much all aspects - but especially in our 2nd half defense.  Steele is a treasure.

First: The bad run fits by our LBs in the first quarter and a half

Second: The lack of push from the OL in the run game

Third: Bo still throwing off his back foot

Fourth: The lack of pass rush from our buck

Fifth: The number of receivers running wide open on different plays

Sixth: The play from our CB/NB was really good

Seventh: The quickness of the defense.

Eighth: The lack of trepidation in the 2nd half.

Nineth: The pass blocking was pretty good

Tenth: The number of numbers where I said who's that?

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Tackling.  Given no spring and a weird summer camp, our tackling was largely on point.

Honorable mention: medium range passing game.

Saw some missed tackles, but 2nd half was true to form the Steele defense we’ve been mostly used to. 

Newkirk’s sack was probably my favorite defensive play of the game (we won’t count the BS that was called on the pick 6). Sheer athleticism. 

I can’t wait for Big Kat to be in at 100%. 

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Third: Bo still throwing off his back foot

Fourth: The lack of pass rush from our buck

For your 3rd: Are you lumping in his completion for first down that was off the back foot where ultimately UK was called offside? That looked like peak awareness on his part to recognize a free play. 

And your 4th: Big Kat, had he not been injured, and Hall gotten thrown out, our play at Buck had the potential to be better. Do you agree? I think we ultimately did fine without both, but wouldn’t prefer it to have to come to that. 

I really liked our secondary play. They played a clean game up until under what—5 minutes?—before a pass interference was called. Iggy, as good as he is, would have gotten us flagged for a PI long before then. 

Archived