Biggest surprise Saturday?

Tigerpro2a

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

For your 3rd: Are you lumping in his completion for first down that was off the back foot where ultimately UK was called offside? That looked like peak awareness on his part to recognize a free play. 

No, he did that a few other times, especially when he started drifting.

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And your 4th: Big Kat, had he not been injured, and Hall gotten thrown out, our play at Buck had the potential to be better. Do you agree?

Yes. But even before Hall left there was little pressure coming from the position.

7 hours ago, fishepa said:

I thought I saw Simpson limping off the field as if he had a hammy pull.  I would assume all is fine?

That did happen, with just a couple of minutes left in the game. I've heard no news about how severe it is.

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Did anyone ever see a 4th LB?

Cam Riley was in on a lot of special team plays but I didn't see a fourth LB at the position.

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The number of numbers where I said who's that?

They shouldn't let them swap numbers! Some changes weren't even on the printed roster.

My biggest surprise: The number of plays J.J. Pegues was in for. That was a happy surprise to be certain.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My biggest surprise: The number of plays J.J. Pegues was in for. That was a happy surprise to be certain.

I think 89 WAS the big surprise.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Feel like I saw his name a lot just reading the jersey. He seemed to be involved in almost every play in some capacity. Will he ultimately be our 2020 version of Ladarious Phillips (RIP)?

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Fifth: The number of receivers running wide open on different plays

That's the kind of all-22 awareness I don't possess. And I'm damned glad to hear this from someone who does.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

First: The bad run fits by our LBs in the first quarter and a half

Second: The lack of push from the OL in the run game

Third: Bo still throwing off his back foot

Fourth: The lack of pass rush from our buck

Fifth: The number of receivers running wide open on different plays

Sixth: The play from our CB/NB was really good

Seventh: The quickness of the defense.

Eighth: The lack of trepidation in the 2nd half.

Nineth: The pass blocking was pretty good

Tenth: The number of numbers where I said who's that?

Dude - you left nothing for the rest of us!

Haha,

1. The OL and run game (push) was very concerning knowing we play thUGA next.

2. How incredibly quick the D tightened up by making adjustments.  They were not the same team after  QTR1 .   I was very, very impressed with tackling after QTR1 and how they adjusted.  Wow.

You guys starting your season ok down there?

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Feel like I saw his name a lot just reading the jersey. He seemed to be involved in almost every play in some capacity. Will he ultimately be our 2020 version of Ladarious Phillips (RIP)?

That's a sensitive question to answer. Suffice it to say that I think there's more legitimacy to the fascination around our current freakishly athletic big man/freakishly big athletic man. Out of respect to Mr. Phillips, let's chalk it up to fit and opportunity given the current parameters of our team.  

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Fourth: The lack of pass rush from our buck

I wouldn’t worry about this too much at this point. Pass rush needs to be a factor when a quarterback is throwing down the field. UK didn’t do a lot of downfield passing. Most of Wilson’s passes were behind the line of scrimmage or within a few yards of it. Eddie Gran had him getting the ball out quick on most passing plays. Since they weren’t calling a lot of deeper pass plays, UK schematically neutralized our pass rush. I wouldn’t read too much into it at this point.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yes. But even before Hall left there was little pressure coming from the position.

I was thinking the same but time will tell. You know it is bad when we have to play an injured player in the second half because he is our best choice. Hopefully hall will have a great game this week. 

The fact that we can throw into the endzone on third downs. Big development. Passing game is only going to get better. 

Surprised the defense stunk first half but love the second half adjustments. 

I was pretty happy with most of the play. But the one biggest surprise for me was so little involvement of the TEs in the passing game. I mean, we've been hearing/reading about this since Morris was anointed at OC.  The TEs will be tearing up defenses in the passing game! And how great out TEs are.

Was CCM holding back to keep UGA from preparing for the Great TE Attack? Gimme TEs 60 yards down the middle!!!!

23 minutes ago, AURex said:

I was pretty happy with most of the play. But the one biggest surprise for me was so little involvement of the TEs in the passing game. I mean, we've been hearing/reading about this since Morris was anointed at OC.  The TEs will be tearing up defenses in the passing game! And how great out TEs are.

Was CCM holding back to keep UGA from preparing for the Great TE Attack? Gimme TEs 60 yards down the middle!!!!

Remember, most non-screen passing plays don’t scheme a throw to a particular player or position. The goal is to get people open, go through reads, and get the ball to the first option you come to in your reads. The tight ends were running better routes and were getting open. But so were the receivers, and they were usually open further down the field. So, they were more involved, but Bo just had better places to throw the football. 

11 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Bo Nix for Ray Guy award. 

I used to get excited thinking Gus was going for it on 4th down. Then I got mad because I knew the pooch punt was coming. Now it makes me happy because it's highly effective and I'm glad that our coach is the one who regularly takes advantage of it. (Helps that we've had QBs execute it so well.)

For me it was the utilization of the entire field from the pass game. It was seeing checkdowns AVAILABLE.

I also loved how Jordan Rogers pointed this out early in the game and showed a clip from last year with all our WRs running streaks and a RB sitting there blocking literally nobody who could've been a check down option for Bo while he was running for his life. Damn I hope Chad does for Gus what he did for Dabo. CGM just needs to let Chad do his thing and maybe Gus will start to level up. Lol sorry for the slight tangent

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

For me it was the utilization of the entire field from the pass game. It was seeing checkdowns AVAILABLE.

I also loved how Jordan Rogers pointed this out early in the game and showed a clip from last year with all our WRs running streaks and a RB sitting there blocking literally nobody who could've been a check down option for Bo while he was running for his life. Damn I hope Chad does for Gus what he did for Dabo. CGM just needs to let Chad do his thing and maybe Gus will start to level up. Lol sorry for the slight tangent

Dude, it's going to be part of the conversation until this season is over at least. It has to be. As a few have said, we have to see what happens when this offense faces some real adversity. If we still see Chad running the offense during and after, then the conversation will change. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, it's going to be part of the conversation until this season is over at least. It has to be. As a few have said, we have to see what happens when this offense faces some real adversity. If we still see Chad running the offense during and after, then the conversation will change. 

Yeah I think rational folks are all kind of still in wait and see mode. It's a lot easier for Gus to loosen his grip against the Kentucky's of the world. This week may provide some more clarity but as you said this will be a season long "will he or won't he neuter Chad this week"? 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I used to get excited thinking Gus was going for it on 4th down. Then I got mad because I knew the pooch punt was coming. Now it makes me happy because it's highly effective and I'm glad that our coach is the one who regularly takes advantage of it. (Helps that we've had QBs execute it so well.)

Do you think that play is always a pooch punt or if Nix sees something he can audible out of it?

2 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Do you think that play is always a pooch punt or if Nix sees something he can audible out of it?

There is most assuredly a play built off of it

24 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Definitely take Bird's word for it and not mine, but I assume that's a factor. Honestly I won't be surprised if we never actually run a play out of it, though, lol.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Yeah I think rational folks are all kind of still in wait and see mode. It's a lot easier for Gus to loosen his grip against the Kentucky's of the world. This week may provide some more clarity but as you said this will be a season long "will he or won't he neuter Chad this week"? 

Most of the “experts” had UK beating us and PFF ranked their secondary as #1 in the nation. Now I may not agree but I definitely don’t think Gus was just letting Chad do a trial run. 

Archived