WAY too Early Pegues Discussion

AUFriction

We've had good blocking H-backs/TEs in the Gus Malzahn(/Chizik) Era. Here's a couple difficult-ish questions... Rank the following HB/TE/FB players that primarily worked in blocking roles: Eric Smith, Jay Brandon Fulse, DaDa Phillips (RIP), Jay Prosch, and Chandler Cox. (If I'm leaving someone important out, feel free to include them as well.) Now here's the more complicated question. Given his performance in 1 week, how do you think Pegues will compare to these folks?

Personally, I'd go:

Prosch, Smith, Cox, Phillips, Fulse, and I think Pegues will beat all of them. 

Smith (just because he was utilized in the pass game)

Prosch (by far best fullback)

Cox

Fulse

Philips

Pegues' in-line blocking is already better than any on your list. If you can go back and watch some of the combo blocks he and Deal were executing. Devastating. We'll have to wait and see as far as receiving and running, but I have a good suspicion he'll excell at both. The future is bright with him albeit extremely early to really say.

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

They said it like "Pe-Geese" on the broadcast if I'm not mistaken

That sounds painful. 

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Anybody else want to see him run the ball on short yardage situations?

Goal line wildcat

8 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Goal line wildcat

Put Nix under center, Deal at TE, Peggues FB, which ever RB you want and go old school on short yardage.  No more running 3-4yards to get 1.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

They said it like "Pe-Geese" on the broadcast if I'm not mistaken

Did anybody catch how Andy pronounced it? I trust him more than 2 guys in sportcoats and shorts.

Of the previous lead blockers, Prosch was a freaking road grater!!!   One of the best I’ve ever seen anywhere!

JJ has a very unique skill set!  He can do a lot of things really well!  I hope Chad and co. get really creative with him!   He’s a guy you can leave on the field in numerous formations and situations.  His combination of size and athleticism is a matchup nightmare for just about anybody.  

49 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Put Nix under center, Deal at TE, Peggues FB, which ever RB you want and go old school on short yardage.  No more running 3-4yards to get 1.

Then, on the very next play you can line up 4 wide, or even 5 wide with the same personnel.  Lots of opportunities for mismatches!

3 hours ago, wde1968 said:

LUTZ????

I thought about adding him as well, but he wasn't used as much as a blocker as he was a pass catcher. In fact, smith and fannin played more in plays where we needed a RB or HB blocking. Same thing as CJ Uzomah. He was technically a TE/HB/FB, but Fulse was used more as a blocker than he was. 

1 hour ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Did anybody catch how Andy pronounced it? I trust him more than 2 guys in sportcoats and shorts.

I think it is pronounced like you are saying the words "peg" and "ease" next to each other.

Prosch seemed to me to be the best at just going down hill and knocking someone out. Also pretty solid at pass blocking from what I remember. The way they were able to move Pegues around though...guy is a ballerina relatively speaking 

On 10/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, Win4AU said:

You realize that when running out of the I formation, the RB is running 3-4 yards in a specific direction, rather than taking the snap and being able to go any direction depending upon who won up front? I'm not saying that running it out of the I is an invalid short yardage choice, just that there is something to this thing about running Wildcat in short yardage situations.

Archived