Fire Gus!

AUFriction

Original post.  Fans and probably some boosters have been calling for Gus to be fired since 2015.  If what I understand is correct boosters are giving Gus the rest of the Bo Nix era to have a big season.  If there isnt one than there will be a change.  Also, I do not know who but the boosters will swing for the fences.  Other than Bill Clark, John Franklin, Josh Huepel or mario Cristobal there isnt a sitting HC I am too interested in.   Now, what do, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, John Franklin*, and Lincoln Riley all have in common?

* James Franklin at Vandy

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The unknown is better than the certainty of mediocrity.  True, we could flop the next hire, but we could also find our Saban, Dabo, or Myer. Fear should not weigh into the decision to move on from one that has proven to be incapable of consistency. For what we offer, Auburn deserves better. Period.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

The unknown is better than the certainty of mediocrity.  True, we could flop the next hire, but we could also find our Saban, Dabo, or Myer. Fear should not weigh into the decision to move on from one that has proven to be incapable of consistency. For what we offer, Auburn deserves better. Period.

The "but it could get worse" crowd drives my insane. Imagine where we'd be if we let that mentality guide every decision. Probably in a cave hitting each other with sticks. Not only is it chicken***t, but it's completely illogical.

I guess it just goes back to change is scary.

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

How is Les Miles on the hot seat? lol

3-9 last year and 0-3 this year with a 15 point loss to Coastal Carolina and absolutely murdered by Oklahoma State and Baylor.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The "but it could get worse" crowd drives my insane. Imagine where we'd be if we let that mentality guide every decision. Probably in a cave hitting each other with sticks. Not only is it chicken***t, but it's completely illogical.

I guess it just goes back to change is scary.

Could I interest you in a cozy, virtual cave with state of the art, high speed VR clubs?

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Could I interest you in a cozy, virtual cave with state of the art, high speed VR clubs?

Ermagerd yass. I need the all the pain and violence but none of the bruises. Can't have the boss asking questions. 

12 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Original post.  Fans and probably some boosters have been calling for Gus to be fired since 2020.  If what I understand is correct boosters are giving Gus the rest of the Bo Nix era to have a big season.  If there isnt one than there will be a change.  Also, I do not know who but the boosters will swing for the fences.  Other than Bill Clark, John Franklin, Josh Huepel or mario Cristobal there isnt a sitting HC I am too interested in.   Now, what do, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, John Franklin*, and Lincoln Riley all have in common?

* James Franklin at Vandy

Mario Cristobal (HC - Oregon, former Bama OL coach, 21-6 as HC at Oregon, which includes a loss in the 2017 Las Vegas bowl after taking over for Taggart. PAC12 champion last year).

• Years prior: 2017: 7-6, 2016: 4-8, 2015: 9-4
  • Recruiting: 2021: 3rd, 2020: 11th,  2019: 7th, 2018: 13th
  • In 2 seasons: 25 all-conference selections, 8 draft picks, 5 All-Americans, 3 National Award winners
  • One of 11 current FBS coaches to win 20+ games over the first 2 seasons leading a P5 program
  • 50 years old

Luke Fickell (HC- Cincinnati, former DC @ Ohio State, 29-13 at Cincy after taking over for Tubbervile, including a conference division title last year. 25-5 since the start of the 2018 season, his 2nd year.)

• Years prior: 2016: 4-8, 2015: 7-6, 2014: 9-4
  • Recruiting: 2021: 45th, 2020: 41st, 2019: 79th, 2018: 49th, 2017: 63rd
  • Back-to-back 11-win seasons and consecutive bowl victories. 
  • 14 NFL draft picks as DC or Co-DC at Ohio State
  • 2018 AAC Coach of the Year
  • 47 years old

Billy Napier (HC- Louisiana, former Bama WR coach, Arizona State OC/QB Coach, 21-10 in 3 seasons at Louisiana, including 2 conference division titles in his first 2 years)

• Years prior: 2017: 5-7, 2016: 6-7, 2015: 4-8, 2014: 9-7
  • Recruiting: 2021: 88th, 2020: 82nd, 2019: 76th, 2018: 105th
  • 2019 Sun Belt Coach of the Year
  • 3 Picks in the 2020 NFL Draft, including Robert Hunt at 39th overall to the Dolphins and Kevin Dotson at 135th overall to the Steelers
  • 2019 - 37.9 Points per game (10th), 19.7 opponent points per game (18th)
  • 41 years old

59 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Mario Cristobal (HC - Oregon, former Bama OL coach, 21-6 as HC at Oregon, which includes a loss in the 2017 Las Vegas bowl after taking over for Taggart. PAC12 champion last year).

• Years prior: 2017: 7-6, 2016: 4-8, 2015: 9-4
  • Recruiting: 2021: 3rd, 2020: 11th,  2019: 7th, 2018: 13th
  • In 2 seasons: 25 all-conference selections, 8 draft picks, 5 All-Americans, 3 National Award winners
  • One of 11 current FBS coaches to win 20+ games over the first 2 seasons leading a P5 program
  • 50 years old

Luke Fickell (HC- Cincinnati, former DC @ Ohio State, 29-13 at Cincy after taking over for Tubbervile, including a conference division title last year. 25-5 since the start of the 2018 season, his 2nd year.)

• Years prior: 2016: 4-8, 2015: 7-6, 2014: 9-4
  • Recruiting: 2021: 45th, 2020: 41st, 2019: 79th, 2018: 49th, 2017: 63rd
  • Back-to-back 11-win seasons and consecutive bowl victories. 
  • 14 NFL draft picks as DC or Co-DC at Ohio State
  • 2018 AAC Coach of the Year
  • 47 years old

Billy Napier (HC- Louisiana, former Bama WR coach, Arizona State OC/QB Coach, 21-10 in 3 seasons at Louisiana, including 2 conference division titles in his first 2 years)

• Years prior: 2017: 5-7, 2016: 6-7, 2015: 4-8, 2014: 9-7
  • Recruiting: 2021: 88th, 2020: 82nd, 2019: 76th, 2018: 105th
  • 2019 Sun Belt Coach of the Year
  • 3 Picks in the 2020 NFL Draft, including Robert Hunt at 39th overall to the Dolphins and Kevin Dotson at 135th overall to the Steelers
  • 2019 - 37.9 Points per game (10th), 19.7 opponent points per game (18th)
  • 41 years old

#1 would be my first call.  I like all 3 though.  

I am an old guy who has been around the block a few times. I am not a "mega" power poster here. Heck, admittedly I don't know near as much as most of you good folks who post here regularly. All I know is that Auburn University, its students, alumni, fans and players deserve a higher quality head coach than the person who occupies the position now. The Malzahn experiment has failed to produce the desired outcome and I think most of us agree it is time to part ways. The obvious issue is that due to an idiotic contract decision made primarily by a terrible past AU president, we have our hands tied behind our back financially and we are stuck with the current head coach until AU can afford to pay him to leave. All we can do now is hope for the best.  AU football must find a way to get out of this terrible trap with the current failed head coach and bring in someone who can restore this program to its past glory. Until then folks hold on, it may be a bumpy ride but Auburn will survive. War Eagle!

Honestly, I don't think Gus gives a rat's a$$ if the team wins or loses. He knows, and we all know, he has Auburn by the short hairs. The BOT can let him ride out the remainder of the contract---and turn a blind eye to the abyss the program is becoming---or pay him a boatload of money to get rid of him. Either way, he'll be richer than most of us put together. I don't think he's such a nice guy. He and his agent screwed Auburn to the max in 2017. He needs to go NOW!!

On 10/5/2020 at 11:28 AM, metafour said:

Hey guys, Metafour back here to repeat the same crap I've been telling you guys for years now (you thought I'd be more modest? Think again!)

We failed to act and rip the band-aid off when the opportunities presented themselves, and now with COVID we're going to need to wait even longer because if one thing is clear about Malzahn: the man has everything going for him when it comes to saving his job at the last minute. The fanbase as a whole carries too much of a risk-averse loser mentality which is why we're in this position and dropping even further. I've spent years debating with people who want to keep stringing along a beta-male weak willed head coach under the logic that "we don't know if the next guy is going to be any better". This is nothing more than a loser mentality. Loser mentality is going to produce loser results, not only in football, but in life as well. Here we are in 2020 after another embarrassing beatdown to a rival in which our team looked completely overmatched, and I'm still reading posts about how we shouldn't have hired Smart...because he might have left to take the Georgia job? Literally arguing that we made the right move to not hire a better coach, because we're afraid that he might have left us. That is loser mentality. I'm not going to waste much time hypothetically analyzing something that at this point is irrelevant, but I'll say one thing: Auburn fires head coaches, they don't walk out to take other jobs voluntarily. Secondly, even if we had hired Smart and he did indeed leave to go to Georgia ~3 years later, that means that he would have been impressing at Auburn (otherwise why would Georgia even call?). If he had walked out on a high note, that would mean that we'd be an extremely attractive option to an entire pool of potential coaching candidates...and under that pretense the team would already have a winning mentality and players in place...ie: its not a complete rebuild, which is what 90% of coaching changes are. I'm failing to see what the downside of that situation is, or in what regard keeping a loser like Malzahn around for literally a decade to slowly degrade our program is a "smarter option". Anyways, thats water under the bridge now. The fanbase as a whole is going to need to decide what they want out of this program. The boosters and people in power only vibrate to the frequency of the fanbase. We've had 2-3 moments during this entire tenure wherein Gus should have been shown the door due to absolutely reprehensible failure of his duties, and the fanbase collectively let him off the hook to weasel his way into more time and more money. He is the coaching equivalent of a conman or grifter.  

I am hooked, would you please tell us more because I feel the same way and for sometime now, the time is now, we can not afford to wait to dismiss this failure. If we are serious about Auburn football, his buyout should not be a problem plus it sends a message that we are serious about winning championship. 

On 10/4/2020 at 8:42 AM, gr82b4au said:

16 years without a win in athens
21 years without a win in red stick
10 years without a win in Tuscaloosa

he was not here for all of them but he isn’t helping...

I was starting middle school when we last won in Athens.

I was 6 years old entering First Grade when we last won in Red Stick.

I graduated high school when we last won in Tuscaloosa.

Y'all worried about flopping? We've been flopped.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I was starting middle school when we last won in Athens.

I was 6 years old entering First Grade when we last won in Red Stick.

I graduated high school when we last won in Tuscaloosa.

Y'all worried about flopping? We've been flopped.

Let me save a couple of posters some time...”but but but we beat bama and we always go to a bowl”

12 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Let me save a couple of posters some time...”but but but we beat bama and we always go to a bowl”

It's sad when UCF fans have higher expectations than us... 

On 10/8/2020 at 3:11 AM, bigbird said:

Auburn does deserve better. But unless the PTB can be kept out of the way all we'll get is Gus under another name.

6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Auburn does deserve better. But unless the PTB can be kept out of the way all we'll get is Gus under another name.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes. Almost everyone they would consider would be at least an upgrade. 

Archived