Fire Gus!

AUFriction

20 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.  You don't just fire people for the hell of it.  Yes, Gus needs to go and yes, we need to pay what it takes to get the right guy.  The rest is idiocy.

That’s what b Bama  and Uga both did . Hired a great coach and let him call the shots. I like Allen but he has already shown he is not going to get tough on Gus. Look Gus took us at a bad moment and we should have let Arky had him. But you don’t make things right by continuing to kick the can down the road and at this point that is all Allen seems to want to do. I don’t think he wants to rock the boat even if that’s what it takes to right the ship.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I’m waking away. You guys are halo rating here. (Taking your general impression of Gus to create criticism, even in places it is unwarranted.) I’m pissed about tonight as well (and I started this thread). But you need to be objective.

Lots of coaches for other teams (especially in the SEC) have mentioned getting players up for bowl games is difficult. For a big 10 team, the chance to beat a rated SEC team is a big deal. For that SEC team, what do they have to play for? Their only motivation to win is to not be embarrassed, and that isn’t much to be motivated for. 

I blame Gus for a lot of things. Tonight was inexcusable, and he should be fired for games like today. But the bowl losses to UCF and Minnesota were different that what happened tonight. The greatest coach in the world wouldn’t have gotten the best out of our players for either of those games. There just wasn’t really anything to play for.

By your logic, Michigan should've beaten Alabama, ESPECIALLY since they had just been kept out of the playoffs for the first time. Every other SEC team in the bowls besides Mississippi State won.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We messed up when we didn't hire smart, everything was in place.....we blew it

BS. Smart would have left for UGA as soon as it opened up and we'd have been back to square one.

6 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

BS. Smart would have left for UGA as soon as it opened up and we'd have been back to square one.

As long as we're not here I don't care. Here we are now wishing we were at square one. And that one or two years would've been great. We were still eating off of muschanp year of defense up until last year

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As long as we're not here I don't care. Here we are now wishing we were at square one. And that one or two years would've been great. We were still eating off of muschanp year of defense up until last year

Yup infuriating seeing some great talent pissed away at Auburn.

39 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Even if he did his first three years was 8-5, 13-2, and 11-3 with a much better foundation to build on talent wise for a new coach. Sounds better than 12-2, 8-5, and 7-6 in Gustav’s first 3 years. I agree he wouldn’t have stayed but imagine those three years then hopefully getting another competent coach. But only wishful thinking at this point. 

12 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Even if he did his first three years was 8-5, 13-2, and 11-3 with a much better foundation to build on talent wise for a new coach. Sounds better than 12-2, 8-5, and 7-6 in Gustav’s first 3 years. I agree he wouldn’t have stayed but imagine those three years then hopefully getting another competent coach. But only wishful thinking at this point. 

All I know is with my current teacher salary I would have to work roughly 200+ years to get what Gus gets annually. 

He's not worth that. 

33 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

You can't say he would have recruited the same at Auburn as he has done at UGA. Different places altogether. You also can't say we would have gotten a competent coach after he left either. He would have been another short term stepping stone at Auburn.  Saying he would have left a "foundation" is wishful thinking. It wasn't a lucrative enough job to attract many big name coaches then, and wouldn't have been after just a few years either. 

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

You can't say he would have recruited the same at Auburn as he has done at UGA. Different places altogether. You also can't say we would have gotten a competent coach after he left either. He would have been another short term stepping stone at Auburn.  Saying he would have left a "foundation" is wishful thinking. It wasn't a lucrative enough job to attract many big name coaches then, and wouldn't have been after just a few years either. 

You live in your fantasy and I’ll live in mine. Either way reality is we are at this point with a high school coach running an SEC school and at that a top 15 program nationally who is year by year pushing us deeper into mediocrity. I just want this to end soon. 

9 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

There was this guy once who played at UGA and coached at UAT. We hired him at around the same time Bryant and Dooley were late in their careers.

7 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

You live in your fantasy and I’ll live in mine. Either way reality is we are at this point with a high school coach running an SEC school and at that a top 15 program nationally who is year by year pushing us deeper into mediocrity. I just want this to end soon. 

So do I. That doesn't mean that Kirby wouldn't have bolted for his dream job as soon as it opened, and he knew it was opening within a few years.  UGA is in a better position that Auburn. They are the dominant sports school in the state pull from one of the most talent rich areas in the Southeast. He knew they'd be throwing a ton of money and effort in coaches and recruiting in trying get back to relevancy in the post-Richt era. 

Sigh....Welp....here we are again.  You could cut and paste the comments from all the other "Fire Gus" threads over the past 6 years into this thread and no one would know the difference.  Same problems (pathetic OL play, bad play calling, etc.).  I suppose this year we could throw in poor defensive line play.

At some point people need to realize that the problem is not really with Gus.  It is with the people above Gus that allow this to go on and on and on and on.

Auburn "Powers That Be" don't care about wins and losses.  They only care about $$$.  As long as the fans continue to tune in....they will do nothing.  

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

We were still eating off of muschanp year of defense up until last year

Do you mind expanding on this?  I am confused by what you mean.  Muschamp's players were gone after 2018.

11 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

But with Gus we are currently at square 0 with 2 to 3 years before we can get to square one.

It just feels like the Malzahn era is over. There's no more energy or excitment. And the people wanting a change just don't care anymore. Auburn has put itself in very bad situation with his huge contract, bad football team, the buyout, and huge revenue losses.

8 minutes ago, Carnell said:

But with Gus we are currently at square 0 with 2 to 3 years before we can get to square one.

I'm not arguing that point. The extension a few years ago was horrifically shortsighted and economically devastating. I am simply pointing out this idea that Kirby would have saved the day when he surely would have bolted for the UGA asap is a giant stretch. 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

There was this guy once who played at UGA and coached at UAT. We hired him at around the same time Bryant and Dooley were late in their careers.

This. People said the same things about Dye when we made that hire and you see how that worked. You can always play “what if” but “if” we had hired Kirby not sure it’s certain he would have ultimately bolted for UGA

Is there any conceivable situation where Gus is gone this year? Willie Taggart got fired after FSU rolled over for Miami last year. Feels like Saturday night was one of those nights where someone might have been fired in a normal year. I will never root for it of course but I am very curious about what could happen if we were to lose to Arkansas on Saturday. 

Gus has 0 road wins against Georgia, Bama or LSU.  IMO due to the financial repercussions from COVID, it’s extremely unlikely that we will see a change any soon.  Like it or not, Gus is our future... 😡

You guys might as well focus your energy elsewhere. Gus will be the coach at AU next year. As in i think we could lose every game from here on out and he will still be the coach next season. There is no way the AD is going to get the pres to sign off on firing a coach, paying huge buyouts, and commit top $$ for hiring a new coach while the athletic department will be bringing in millions fewer dollars than usual due to the pandemic. The entire city of AU is going to be tightening the belt for all the lost revenue of folks coming to the ball games. You add to that the money that will be lost from  lack of post season play. And then you have dropping attendance of colleges with the move to online classes, i don't know that AU is seeing a dip in enrollment as of right now but a lot of colleges are and you can bet AU is worried about it. 

For better or worse Gus will still coach at AU in 2021 

53 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I'm not arguing that point. The extension a few years ago was horrifically shortsighted and economically devastating. I am simply pointing out this idea that Kirby would have saved the day when he surely would have bolted for the UGA asap is a giant stretch. 

And the fact that the new contract was being negogtiated the week leading up to the SECCG in 2017 (after beating UGA and Bama) should have been a clue that Gus didn't have confidence in himself to keep winning big games, so he needed to get that big money extension while he could. So many people were excited about what was going on at that time and the extension just couldn't wait. What if Gus had been told to come back in January to discuss the extension? After losing the SECGC and then lossing to UCF, does anyone think there would have been as much excitement about the extension?

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

I can understand your point completely.  I am looking at this in isolation in that in 2013 who should have been Auburn's coach Gus or Kirby.  I am  saying Kirby would have been a lot better selection because even when he bolted for the dawgs after the 2015 season he would have left the program in good shape that when we went looking for a replacement that we would look attractive to a great # of coaches.

I you are looking at the big picture that we should not have hired either one in 2013.  We should not have hired Gus because he is sh** as a coach and we should not have hired Kirby because he is not a long term solution that we should have looked for a third option that is a great coach but loves Auburn and wants to stay long term then I would agree with you 1000%.

I

38 minutes ago, gravejd said:

You guys might as well focus your energy elsewhere. Gus will be the coach at AU next year. As in i think we could lose every game from here on out and he will still be the coach next season. There is no way the AD is going to get the pres to sign off on firing a coach, paying huge buyouts, and commit top $$ for hiring a new coach while the athletic department will be bringing in millions fewer dollars than usual due to the pandemic. The entire city of AU is going to be tightening the belt for all the lost revenue of folks coming to the ball games. You add to that the money that will be lost from  lack of post season play. And then you have dropping attendance of colleges with the move to online classes, i don't know that AU is seeing a dip in enrollment as of right now but a lot of colleges are and you can bet AU is worried about it. 

For better or worse Gus will still coach at AU in 2021 

I seriously am at the point where I don't want to watch another game coached by Gus Malzahn. If it weren't for the players being such awesome kids I would have already stopped. Unfortunately my Auburn loyalty keeps me locked in the crap show.

Archived