Recruiting Matters

CameronCrazy

I’ve been accused of being a star gazer, and I’ll 100% admit to that. UGA has kicked our tail on the recruiting trail the past few years, and you could easily see what a difference that made tonight. It wasn’t the X’s & O’s that won the game tonight, it was the Jimmies & Joes.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I think it's safe to say that this lose kill any chance of AU having a top 2021 recruiting class. Recruits Shaw saw what the team and head coach will look like come early December.

Last time I checked, AU was ranked #33 on Rivals, #18 in the composite. I don't know of a time in recent years when we were that low at any stage of the cycle. What players are committed are fine, but we have only 13. Something needs to pop in our favor pretty quick!

The difference is the line play. We recruit with them in everything else but where they (and everybody else) KILLS us is the OL. Our OL recruiting has and is killing us

Of course recruiting matters. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a big business and there wouldn’t be so many fans to follow it. We’re not in a position to dominate on the recruiting front so what matters just as much for us is player development. Yes losing some battles to Georgia in the recruiting wars did have an affect on the game Saturday but also not taking enough quality OL in previous classes hurt a lot too. We have to land the guys we can and develop them.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:04 AM, ellitor said:

Of course recruiting matters. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a big business and there wouldn’t be so many fans to follow it. We’re not in a position to dominate on the recruiting front so what matters just as much for us is player development. Yes losing some battles to Georgia in the recruiting wars did have an affect on the game Saturday but also not taking enough quality OL in previous classes hurt a lot too. We have to land the guys we can and develop them.

We could do a lot better recruiting on both lines especially on the OL. The kids on campus now are kids that Gus wanted, for his system. He hand picked most of them along with his sidekick Kodi. Neither have a clue and it shows. Sure he went after some of the more highly rated kids but Gus thinks that if you can execute his system it will work. Even with inferior OL play / players. Don't work like that in the SEC.  Grimes and Hand get a lot of flak, for good reason, but neither had much of a say here.  Last season was a chinese fire drill on the OL recruiting. Just need bodies. 

I have been saying this for what 4 years now here. 

I could go on about Herb and his time here. What Gus did but it's pointless. 

As far as the DL. s*** happens when you put the burden on one man year after year. CRG can only do so much. Add in the fact that T-Will has gone to loving himself some T-Will and well. 

57 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We could do a lot better recruiting on both lines especially on the OL. The kids on campus now are kids that Gus wanted, for his system. He hand picked most of them along with his sidekick Kodi. Neither have a clue and it shows. Sure he went after some of the more highly rated kids but Gus thinks that if you can execute his system it will work. Even with inferior OL play / players. Don't work like that in the SEC.  Grimes and Hand get a lot of flak, for good reason, but neither had much of a say here.  Last season was a chinese fire drill on the OL recruiting. Just need bodies. 

I have been saying this for what 4 years now here. 

I could go on about Herb and his time here. What Gus did but it's pointless. 

As far as the DL. s*** happens when you put the burden on one man year after year. CRG can only do so much. Add in the fact that T-Will has gone to loving himself some T-Will and well. 

Do you like Bicknell and what he could provide Auburn from development and coaching standpoints?

On 10/4/2020 at 11:33 AM, Sizzle said:

The difference is the line play. We recruit with them in everything else but where they (and everybody else) KILLS us is the OL. Our OL recruiting has and is killing us

I wish I could agree. I encourage you to look closely at their roster compared to ours. Star ratings as well as size. Generally speaking their DBs, LBs, had higher ratings and as a unit are taller, longer, and heavier than ours. And based on last week, faster. We have an exceptional young Rb in Tank, but they were rotating 3 just like him or better. We need a new staff: either better recruiters, better developers, or hopefully both. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Add in the fact that T-Will has gone to loving himself some T-Will and well. 

What do you mean by this part? I did hear from a close family friend of a LB recruit in this class that is committed to Bama that TWill turned him off really bad because he talked more about himself than the program itself. Is this what you’re referencing? 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I wish I could agree. I encourage you to look closely at their roster compared to ours. Star ratings as well as size. Generally speaking their DBs, LBs, had higher ratings and as a unit are taller, longer, and heavier than ours. And based on last week, faster. We have an exceptional young Rb in Tank, but they were rotating 3 just like him or better. We need a new staff: either better recruiters, better developers, or hopefully both. 

I don’t care about that tbh. There’s not too big of a difference in the LB play, where you see the big difference is Oline play. When you have road graders you can stick anybody back there and get positive results 

4 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

What do you mean by this part? I did hear from a close family friend of a LB recruit in this class that is committed to Bama that TWill turned him off really bad because he talked more about himself than the program itself. Is this what you’re referencing? 

Yep. 

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hate to hear that. And I have to imagine it rubs older staff- especially CRG, who's been a boss in this game for a long time- the wrong way. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hate to hear that. And I have to imagine it rubs older staff- especially CRG, who's been a boss in this game for a long time- the wrong way. 

It really is a shame. I hope like hell Caddy does not go down that path. He has the making of being a top shelf coach. Lot better than T-Will. Caddy is focused. He's the one that one day could take over as AU's HC. Not T-Will. (We talking WAY down the road) 

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It really is a shame. I hope like hell Caddy does not go down that path. He has the making of being a top shelf coach. Lot better than T-Will. Caddy is focused. He's the one that one day could take over as AU's HC. Not T-Will. (We talking WAY down the road) 

Caddy seems like a humble country boy. TWill has a lot of ATL in him.

17 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There are those here (not me) who would call you some kind of heretic for writing this.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

There are those here (not me) who would call you some kind of heretic for writing this.

The man has pretty much been given zero help recruiting the DL from Gus. Steel has his hand full with the LBers, T-Will again just doing his thing. It's really a shame. I have not talked to CRG in a long while but I know he has to be worn out. He was two years ago. It's beginning to show. Rodney isn't a spring chicken anymore. 

I'll be 100% honest here, I'm hoping Steele hasn't checked out and is now just collecting that paycheck and going Ellis Johnson on us. Doing just enough to get by. Sure does look that way. Bowl game on. I know he was one pissed off person at Gus last year. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Caddy seems like a humble country boy. TWill has a lot of ATL in him.

T-Will was on fire when he got the job. Humble and focused. Let that ego get in the way. 

Caddy? Caddy is a different bird. He has always been that way. In high school he would go out to the high school and practice for hours and hours and hours on the weekends, after school. He would put a tire on the end of a chain and then wrap the chain around his waist and drag that tire all over working out. Insane workouts, by himself.  He has a drive and work ethic that very few people in this world have. Both are like those of CEO's of fortune 500 companies. 

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'll be 100% honest here, I'm hoping Steele hasn't checked out and is now just collecting that paycheck and going Ellis Johnson on us. Doing just enough to get by. Sure does look that way. Bowl game on. I know he was one pissed off person at Gus last year.

This makes me feel really queasy 

On 10/6/2020 at 3:52 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

well that is revealing. Hope it doesn't and hasn't killed us with how close we've been to some future superstar LBs this cycle...

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The man has pretty much been given zero help recruiting the DL from Gus. Steel has his hand full with the LBers, T-Will again just doing his thing. It's really a shame. I have not talked to CRG in a long while but I know he has to be worn out. He was two years ago. It's beginning to show. Rodney isn't a spring chicken anymore. 

I had a class with his wife's sister (a teacher at Aub). She's been a pretty big motivating factor for him when it comes to the emotional aspect of dealing with guys...what you just said helps fill in some of the blanks I had about that situation

It definitely appears that some of the wind has gone out of the sails of this dream staff since 2017, and has compounded since that Alabama game last year. I really haven't been the biggest fan of our secondary play the past few seasons, and I guess that's because I see how they look against the higher end Os and the performance isn't matching the grades. But defense factors in so many different aspects that I'm definitely not qualified to suggest a solution. I just wish we had an edge rusher to make it easier on the dudes back there

20 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It definitely appears that some of the wind has gone out of the sails of this dream staff since 2017, and has compounded since that Alabama game last year. I really haven't been the biggest fan of our secondary play the past few seasons, and I guess that's because I see how they look against the higher end Os and the performance isn't matching the grades. But defense factors in so many different aspects that I'm definitely not qualified to suggest a solution. I just wish we had an edge rusher to make it easier on the dudes back there

I think the secondary has done well considering. If I had to take an uneducated guess, I’d say that AU’s DL going against their OL in practice doesn’t make them better football players. Probably inflates their ego a ton though and gives a very false perception of how good the D really is. 

On 10/3/2020 at 11:16 PM, CameronCrazy said:

I’ve been accused of being a star gazer, and I’ll 100% admit to that. UGA has kicked our tail on the recruiting trail the past few years, and you could easily see what a difference that made tonight. It wasn’t the X’s & O’s that won the game tonight, it was the Jimmies & Joes.

It is about to get worse unless we can turn things around big time. 

Archived