Recruiting Matters

CameronCrazy

On 10/7/2020 at 8:32 AM, McLoofus said:

Caddy seems like a humble country boy. TWill has a lot of ATL in him.

TWill is from meek beginnings so....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no doubt that Georgia beating us so badly hurts us in recruiting especially against Georgia.  Another team that has been hurting us lately in recruiting is Tennessee  up until this past weekend everybody was saying they were moving into the elite side of SEC East. I wonder if the reality has set in yet. They had trouble with SC beat MIzzou, then after a couple of Georgia mistakes in 1st half that kept them in the game they got hammered in the second half.  Now an A&M team that had trouble with Vandy and gets hammered by bama beats Fla. Bama has to win a shootout against Miss St. and has shown some serious defensive issues, but one of best offenses.

Next week we get bama versus Georgia and we will find out if we have two Alpha Teams about equal or if one gets a beat down. So far only Georgia has shown a defense that can stop opponents which along with a strong O-Line and strong RB's and a QB that does not hurt them and does inspire them make them the team to beat in the SEC.

What happens if bama gets a beat down would it change the recruiting landscape for KoolAid and others?  I want us to find a way to get a solid recruiting class this year even if we finally decide to pay off Gus and find a new coach as I don't want new coach to start with an empty cupboard. 

All bets off if we have another stink it up performance against SC. 

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I want us to find a way to get a solid recruiting class this year.......

The way to do that is have a great rest of the season and show some continuity in the coaching staff. I don't think there's a way to have a season bad enough to fire the coaching staff and still have a banner recruiting year.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

The way to do that is have a great rest of the season and show some continuity in the coaching staff. I don't think there's a way to have a season bad enough to fire the coaching staff and still have a banner recruiting year.

Exactly. Those 2 can't be synonymous. We would be destined to have a bad to avg recruiting year, when you are letting go a HC and possibly most of the assistants who do most of the recruiting.  

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Exactly. Those 2 can't be synonymous. We would be destined to have a bad to avg recruiting year, when you are letting go a HC and possibly most of the assistants who do most of the recruiting.  

Actually, new staffs often have very solid recruiting classes. They can basically tell every recruit that 1) I just got hired, so I'll probably still be here when you graduate and, more importantly, 2) there isn't a single safe position on the roster because all the kids that are already here are the last guy's guys, but you're *my* guy. Also, there's just a general bump in energy and optimism.

The earlier signing day might make that harder than it has been in the past. Either way, though, there's going to be a coaching change at some point. You can't hang onto a mediocre coach just because you don't want to lose one recruiting class. Most of the already committed guys will stay committed, anyways, unless the new guy just really sucks at hanging onto them or doesn't even try to.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actually, new staffs often have very solid recruiting classes. They can basically tell every recruit that 1) I just got hired, so I'll probably still be here when you graduate and, more importantly, 2) there isn't a single safe position on the roster because all the kids that are already here are the last guy's guys, but you're *my* guy. Also, there's just a general bump in energy and optimism.

The earlier signing day might make that harder than it has been in the past. Either way, though, there's going to be a coaching change at some point. You can't hang onto a mediocre coach just because you don't want to lose one recruiting class. Most of the already committed guys will stay committed, anyways, unless the new guy just really sucks at hanging onto them or doesn't even try to.

2013 we managed to reel back in Carl Lawson and got Monty Adams to come to AU. Both 5 stars. All with a new staff. Top 10 class with a new staff in only a matter of a couple of months.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2013-Football/Commits/

The fact is Gus has turned out top 10 classes (or pretty darn close) consistently during his tenure.  With the exception of O-line recruiting, my issue is not in the leadership's ability to find talent.  It's their ability to develop those guys (particularly on the offensive side of the ball), getting guys ready to win big games and making adjustments during games. 

Those are the pretty clear issues with Gus Malzahn.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

If you want Auburn to have a solid recruiting class, fire Malzahn and then hire a proven winner / top recruiter.

Whom would you suggest?

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Trust me, my answer had nothing to do with wanting to keep a mediocre coach. I only said in Gus case, who has recruited around a top 10 level now for years and some a little higher, if let go, would IMO not keep that recruiting record in place for the current recruiting cycle. OFC,  the recruiting cycle could be worse or better depending on WHO we hired. 

And none of us know if those that are committed would stay committed.  We would find out whether these commits are coming bc of Auburn or coming bc of Gus and/or his assistant coaches.

28 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Trust me, my answer had nothing to do with wanting to keep a mediocre coach. I only said in Gus case, who has recruited around a top 10 level now for years and some a little higher, if let go, would IMO not keep that recruiting record in place for the current recruiting cycle. OFC,  the recruiting cycle could be worse or better depending on WHO we hired. 

And none of us know if those that are committed would stay committed.  We would find out whether these commits are coming bc of Auburn or coming bc of Gus and/or his assistant coaches.

Fair enough. As far as kids keeping their commitments, they mostly do in these situations. But we've still got a lot of class to build. Could go either way I guess. 

Fun conversation since it's all hypothetical, lol.

8 hours ago, AuburnFast said:

Surprised Bicknell is not doing better yet on the recruiting trail. 

Might want to consider why the last two guys didn't do well, either, and what the common denominator is.

8 hours ago, AuburnFast said:

Actually considering he just joined the staff, while we don't have all that we need yet this has been a better O-Line recruiting class then what we have had in the past. Two solid 4*'s and a solid 3*.  We were hoping for Mim's who is gone or Bird who is probably gone and we need at least 2 more. I am hoping at least a diamond  in the Rough OT type but probably will need to look at JC route but since most are not playing it will be tough to analyze. If we do get a JC the good news is might have 3 years eligibility instead of 2. 

Jaeden Roberts || 4* || Offensive Guard || 6'5" 340 lbs. || Houston, TX

Caleb Johnson || 4* || Offensive Tackle || 6'7" 295 lbs. || Ocala, FL

Garner Langlo || 3* || Offensive Guard || 6'7" 270 lbs. || Ocala, FL

23 hours ago, AuburnFast said:

Recruiting is going to be a tough go at Auburn until the recruits can visit campus. Hopefully that will happen before signing day. A quick look says we are very much behind at most positions, so Bicknell isn't alone. As noted just above, he's probably doing better than most of AU's coaches at this time.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, Mikey said:

Recruiting is going to be a tough go at Auburn until the recruits can visit campus. Hopefully that will happen before signing day. A quick look says we are very much behind at most positions, so Bicknell isn't alone. As noted just above, he's probably doing better than most of AU's coaches at this time.

Doesn't that apply for every school?

See, our recruiting struggles are why I have some, shall we say, utilitarian leanings. There is no excuse for why we're in the 30s in Rivals ranking.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:20 PM, AuburnFast said:

@AuburnFastHe actually has when you consider what is committed in this class as it compares to most of the OL classes in the last 8 years or so.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnFastHe actually has when you consider what is committed in this class as it compares to most of the OL classes in the last 8 years or so.

It won’t matter at this point. The OL is fine today but it turns out the QB behind them sucks just as bad as they do most of the time. Not a position out there worth a crap this year except Tank at times. 

On 10/15/2020 at 7:44 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

Two solid 4*'s

@AuburnNTexas Wouldn't call Caleb Johnson a solid 4*. His rating has been steadily dropping  he's hanging on to 4* status by a thread. Any miniscule 2 spot drop from any site & he's a 3*.

20 hours ago, AUwent said:

Doesn't that apply for every school?

Not as much as it applies to Auburn. Nearly every big-time recruit that come here comments "I was surprised!" Because of negative recruiting and other things. AU has an image of someplace that resembles hanging around the country store on Saturday mornings and listening to the radio while sitting on a milk crate. When we get them here. they see the truth but if we can't get them here...

This recruiting class is imploding with our rivals continuing to increase their talent above AU. At this point, I seriously doubt AU finishes in the top 20 and it's not out of the question we finish out of the top 30

On 10/24/2020 at 7:57 AM, keywest said:

This recruiting class is imploding with our rivals continuing to increase their talent above AU. At this point, I seriously doubt AU finishes in the top 20 and it's not out of the question we finish out of the top 30

It's only late October!  Plenty of time to flip some of our rivals recruits.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:20 PM, AuburnFast said:

I thought it was about relationships. It’s not been a season yet, so give him some time to build with some kids first. 

Archived