Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

Because the obvious root of all our issues right here is recruiting. The talent gap between Auburn and Georgia, bama, LSU is absurd right now. It's still possible for us to pull an upset on them, but it requires a perfect gameplan from us and screw ups from them (see bama last year). But anyways, I don't feel like I probably have to go into immense detail on the talent gap right now. What I'm getting at is I feel like we NEED an elite recruiter at HC. Like, even if the HC is a genius game planner and coach, if he can't close the talent gap I don't see how it's going to help us. You can not scheme around our linemen getting completely trashed, on both sides of the ball. That's all there is to it.

So because of this my number one concern about a potentially getting a new HC (sadly might not happen thanks to the worst contract freaking ever, thanks Leath) is how well can he recruit. That's why I'm not personally big on PJ Fleck. Someone who has a lot of SEC experience recruiting is someone who we need. Frankly, someone like Kirby Smart, who we talked to in 2012 but I won't bother going there.

Also, on a side note, I think judging coaches purely of how they played Auburn is short sighted. Judging Mario Cristobal for losing to Gus is judging the man for one game. Same with how Fleck beat us last year. Every major head coach has had games much worse than Oregons game against Auburn in 2019. Take Gus last Saturday for example...

If you guys think Fleck is the answer then please explain. I just don't see how anyone can deal with our rivals without closing the talent gap further. So unless if Fleck can somehow recruit like hell down here, I'm not for him.

Oh and also, if we hire a strong elite recruiter and he doesn't work. At least the next guy inherits a bunch of talent. You can't really inherit gameplans from the last game, but you can inherit the talent.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not going to get into specifics but what I will say is the obvious is proven winners , which will cost a good nickel. The next is unproven Non power 5 coaches or assistant coaches which should not come at a high price. I think these coaches can do just about the same as Gus. My issue is paying a coach top tier money and he is average .

Fantasy: Urban Meyer , Bob Stoops, P.J. Fleck. 

Unproven non power 5 coaches: Josh Heupel, Bill Clark

Current  power 5 Coaches that would be a total Auburn move: Mario Cristobel, James Franklin.

The Dabo Fantasy: Joe Brady

Total Auburn Left field pick: Bill O Brien.  Mark Richt lol

19 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

Because the obvious root of all our issues right here is recruiting.

100% agree that a head coach needs to be a top recruiter and that should be the top requirement.

Recognize and Recruit players that project to the NFL.  granted, not all will play on Sunday but increasingly my team full of future pros will beat your team with players the coach thinks will fit in his "system".   see the current RB situation at Auburn. hard to say about Tank right now (he's got to bulk up) but Shivers and D.J.......I don't think so.   Be willing to tailor a system to fit the talent.

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Current  power 5 Coaches that would be a total Auburn move: Mario Cristobel, James Franklin.

I like both coaches, but would Franklin leave Penn. St.? could Auburn lure him the Plains? Would he be open to coming back down South? He had some good recruiting classes while at Vandy, according to Vandy standards. Cristobel has also recruited nicely at Oregon, and as far a I know he would like to be back in the deep South.

Just now, cctiger said:

I like both coaches, but would Franklin leave Penn. St.? could Auburn lure him the Plains? Would he be open to coming back down South? He had some good recruiting classes while at Vandy, according to Vandy standards. Cristobel has also recruited nicely at Oregon, and as far a I know he would like to be back in the deep South.

I think money talks in this case. I know the argument would be why would he leave Penn State, his alma mater, to come down here? I have seen crazier things. 

Whoever we hire is going to have work to do in recruiting. I want Fleck because he's a young, energetic guy with a vision and he connects with the players and the fans. I mean when was the last time you saw a crowd surf... ever? He's also already put players in the NFL from Minnesota and Western Michigan. I have no doubts that Gus is a really good guy, but he's pretty introverted and seems distant much of the time. I don't think the southern connections thing with him means much. There's been plenty of successful coaches in the SEC who aren't from the south. Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen had never coached in the south before Urban was hired at Florida. Saban had never coached in the south before he went to LSU. Les Miles isn't from the south either. 

• WarTiger changed the title to who do you want as head coach

So basically there isn’t anyone at the moment. Give Gus some credit, he hasn’t wilted under the grind of the sec. He just can’t coach a team to consistently win or let someone coach him on how to do it. Hell he could study and copy successful coaches and learn a lot.

I would like to see a coach that is a dynamic recruiter as well as being an excellent x&o's guys.  He needs to be well respected so hiring a great staff is essential.  The staff needs to be able to formulate a great game plan, be good play callers and make game time adjustments as well as being good at player development.  Two guys that fit the bill is Dennis Allen DC of the Saints and Josh McDaniels OC of the Patriots.

Allen will have instant credibility with recruits when he tells them he is implementing the Saints scheme.

McDaniels will have instant credibility by being on the Patriots staff.

Just a thought T-Will is a top tier recruiter. If we want to close the Talent gap we need to recruit better, not saying we should do this now but it is something I’ve thought about. 

I’ll take Gus after Bicknell rebuilds the line and Auburn can go back to the power run play action with Davis at Qb, Tank and Armoni in the backfield, Frazier and Peggues at TE.  That is a formula for success.  If Gus can learn how to build a passing tree from Chad then that’ll help too.  

I’ll also take Bill Clark.  He’s been a winner everywhere he’s been.

24 minutes ago, Jaxr29 said:

Just a thought T-Will is a top tier recruiter. If we want to close the Talent gap we need to recruit better, not saying we should do this now but it is something I’ve thought about. 

Are you suggesting T-Will as head coach ?

25 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Someone whose coaching tree doesn’t resemble a Charlie Brown Christmas

Well he is a lovable loser. 

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’ll also take Bill Clark.  He’s been a winner everywhere he’s been.

If we go current second tier I'd be thrilled with Clark. I'd still aim higher but he's won against all odds. He's earned his stripes. 

Cristobal or Kiffin would be good choices. 

These message board fan lists always have a heavy dose of the newest crop of the flavor of the month club. Turner Gill 2.0 on repeat. If a change is made in spite of all the financial considerations and in this crazy COVID environment in general, then let’s make it worthwhile and do something that will really be epic. Go big or go home. 

50 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Cristobal or Kiffin would be good choices. 

That is a big gamble with Kiffin.

lets see how he does Saturday or whenever they play the updykes (weather)

I’d prefer someone NOT from the Saban coaching tree. But, it’s hard to not want Cristobal. He’s a great recruiter. He has very good Offensive Lines. Auburn has proven to be successful on offense when we have good OL play.

I would say Cristobal or Joe Brady are 1A & 1B for me. 

Joe Brady obviously is the biggest unknown. How would he do as a HC? What’s his defensive philosophy? How involved would he be in the Defense and Special Teams? Would he jump at a chance to be an NFL head coach? (Probably yes)

Whoever it is - he needs to be a relentless recruiter. We have held our ground in recruiting, but we have lost some key battles that could have made a difference. He also needs to be able to recruit a great staff that can develop talent. I like Brady’s connection to the NFL. I’m intrigued on who he could bring with him.

Archived