• Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I say 

1. Sarkisian

2. Cristobal

3. Matt Campbell

4. Kiffin

I can get behind this list with the addition of  Fickell.

5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Just hire the OC from Bama...if he does not get away this year.

I’m serious I think Stark can do some damage here at AU. Just keep him away from the sauce. 

It wouldn’t completely shock me to see Stark go back to USC if they can Helton.  Helton and Gus should start a chat group for coaches who win or lose are going to be perpetually rumored to lose their job.

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I would be begging PJ Fleck to come to Auburn.  I would take a long hard look at Campbell.  I would spin the wheels on Leipold.

Fleck???

Lets take a look at how year 4 is going for him and imagine how that would go over with Auburn fans if we had that kind of... erm... success. 

688F39DD-7BD4-4475-80DA-3A3A0CB8D8A8.png

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Fleck???

Lets take a look at how year 4 is going for him and imagine how that would go over with Auburn fans if we had that kind of... erm... success. 

I agree ... hell no to Fleck. I think USC has one guy on their list and it’s Meyer.

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I agree ... hell no to Fleck. I think USC has one guy on their list and it’s Meyer.

What about Texas?  I could see Stark at Texas or an NFL team as well.

I know most people want Cristobal if something were to happen to Gus but I’d almost rather go with someone who has a record of giving Saban trouble.  Freeze and maybe Kiffin are the only coaches outside of Gus and Dabo that Saban has struggled with.  Cristobal may be a great recruiter but if you can’t beat the team in West Alabama then nothing else really matters.  Smart has proved this point time after time.  

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

What about Texas?  I could see Stark at Texas or an NFL team as well.

We got one year. Herman will probably be back as will Gus. I think his familiarity in Alabama and stability gives Auburn and edge over UT. I think Texas will pursue Meyer, Campbell or BYU coach.

35 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

We got one year. Herman will probably be back as will Gus. I think his familiarity in Alabama and stability gives Auburn and edge over UT. I think Texas will pursue Meyer, Campbell or BYU coach.

Texas edge over AU is $$$$

53 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I know most people want Cristobal if something were to happen to Gus but I’d almost rather go with someone who has a record of giving Saban trouble.  Freeze and maybe Kiffin are the only coaches outside of Gus and Dabo that Saban has struggled with.  Cristobal may be a great recruiter but if you can’t beat the team in West Alabama then nothing else really matters.  Smart has proved this point time after time.  

Who is the coach that gives Georgia problems and can win at LSU? Because that has been our issue way more than beating Saban. Auburn has beaten Saban more than any other program going back to his LSU days. Georgia is a different story. They own our ass. 12 of 16? Absolute humiliation and embarrassment. I remember when we had a healthy series lead on them......

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Who is the coach that gives Georgia problems and can win at LSU? Because that has been our issue way more than beating Saban. Auburn has beaten Saban more than any other program going back to his LSU days. Georgia is a different story. They own our ass. 12 of 16? Absolute humiliation and embarrassment. I remember when we had a healthy series lead on them......

Absolutely. This is why a lot of Auburn fans and administration have little brother syndrome. Instead of worrying only about the Turds let’s worry about the other 11 teams on the schedule. Maybe then we’d actually have a more competent coach and program. 

I think it's safe to say that when people name someone that there will be a loss somewhere or some low light. You have to be an idiot to comb through every game and say him? What about when he loss 3 games that one year? No I'll keep Gus because he's consistent and I know when he will lose his games.....

6 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Absolutely. This is why a lot of Auburn fans and administration have little brother syndrome. Instead of worrying only about the Turds let’s worry about the other 11 teams on the schedule. Maybe then we’d actually have a more competent coach and program. 

Spot on fam. It seems the higher ups at AU are content with the results we are getting as long as we beat bama every few years. SMH. That should not be the standard.....

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think it's safe to say that when people name someone that there will be a loss somewhere or some low light. You have to be an idiot to comb through every game and say him? What about when he loss 3 games that one year? No I'll keep Gus because he's consistent and I know when he will lose his games.....

Exactly. With the exception of Saban, every coach has that inexplicable loss, that season that didn’t bounce their way and they lose 3-4 games, etc. With Gus, those things are the norm, not the exception.

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

Exactly. With the exception of Saban, every coach has that inexplicable loss, that season that didn’t bounce their way and they lose 3-4 games, etc. With Gus, those things are the norm, not the exception.

Even Saban had those losses at Michigan State. Hell I think he lost to UAB in one of his first seasons at LSU and of course we all know he lost to LA Monroe his first season at Bama. I can only imagine the things people would say on this thread about Saban when he lost to those 2 teams.

“I don’t think you lean on any kind of excuse. We could talk about the pandemic and all the other stuff. We can’t. The bottom line is there has to be improvement in everything we do. We got to coach (turnovers) better. We got to give our guys a chance to make plays. Because they competed – they competed to the very end. (I) told them that’s something that real deal competitors will let this sit in there and burn and drive ya and pull a team together. That’s the only kind of guys that we can have in this organization. That’s the expectation. The expectation is to come in and get ready to improve and get prepared for our game next week.”

Wanna know which coach said this after a loss? Hint it wasn’t Gustav... Sounds like someone with a little fire in them. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Even Saban had those losses at Michigan State. Hell I think he lost to UAB in one of his first seasons at LSU and of course we all know he lost to LA Monroe his first season at Bama. I can only imagine the things people would say on this thread about Saban when he lost to those 2 teams.

It would have been a Chernobyl-level meltdown! You are correct, I was referring to once Saban got his system in place and has been running it for the last 10+ years.

Just now, PigskinPat said:

It would have been a Chernobyl-level meltdown! You are correct, I was referring to once Saban got his system in place and has been running it for the last 10+ years.

Exactly! You are def right. You can tell the people on the forum who are looking to make any kind of excuse just to rationalize keeping their guy Gus. IDK what it is about a SUBPAR,  monotone, goofy, nerdy high school coach that makes a section of our fan base keep dying over and over again repeatedly on the WE JUST GOT TO GIVE HIM ONE MORE YEAR HILL. He is the most divisive and polarizing coach we have had in a long time. He is toxic. Look at us. This has been a constant among AU fans with all the in fighting. It has completely divided the fan base. He has got to go. We need someone like BRUCE to unify the fanbase. All Gus does is keep dividing us.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Exactly! You are def right. You can tell the people on the forum who are looking to make any kind of excuse just to rationalize keeping their guy Gus. IDK what it is about a SUBPAR,  monotone, goofy, nerdy high school coach that makes a section of our fan base keep dying over and over again repeatedly on the WE JUST GOT TO GIVE HIM ONE MORE YEAR HILL. He is the most divisive and polarizing coach we have had in a long time. He is toxic. Look at us. This has been a constant among AU fans with all the in fighting. It has completely divided the fan base. He has got to go. We need someone like BRUCE to unify the fanbase. All Gus does is keep dividing us.

Agree wholeheartedly. You don’t think that when a recruit’s dad or father figure shakes Cristobal’s or Fickell’s hand for the first time they don’t think “if my son goes to play for him, he’s playing for a man”?

4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Agree wholeheartedly. You don’t think that when a recruit’s dad or father figure shakes Cristobal’s or Fickell’s hand for the first time they don’t think “if my son goes to play for him, he’s playing for a man”?

Probably why Cristobal can pull in real talent and we get the leftovers. 

I get the appeal but there's no way we call Freeze. People see what he did against the bammers and forget he left a bombed out crater in his wake. I want to win more than anything but I don't want us to get good for four years just so we can be bad for six after the bad news comes out. 

7 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Fleck???

BIG DEAL!!!

Seriously, how some of you evaluate coaches is insane.

This guy is a motivator, recruiter and has developed players.   He would be a fund raising dream.  Met the man in October and after ten minutes I was willing to smash through walls for him.   With Auburn’s resources he could be the guy that next levels us. He is a program builder and that is what we need.  Who the hell expects to consistently be great at F@in Minnesota, I mean seriously, that is a tough as hell job.

11 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

But can he recruit? Xs and O's are great but it takes more than flashing a super bowl ring at a prospect to build a program.

Not to say he couldn't be a solid hire but hiring a career NFL coach is a pretty big risk.

Know where you are coming from.  I believe he and what ever staff he would put together would be excellent recruiters.  I think he has the persona to recruit.  When he goes into a defensive recruits house he can sell that on his defenses in the NFL.  When he goes into an offensive recruits house he can sell that recruit on playing in Sean Peyton offense.  He can get them in the NFL.  He can take away Saben's advantage away.  I believe he will hire a good staff that can also recruit.  

My primary concern is that he has been out of the college ranks so long our compliance staff will need to get him familiar with the NCAA rules.

7 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I get the appeal but there's no way we call Freeze. People see what he did against the bammers and forget he left a bombed out crater in his wake. I want to win more than anything but I don't want us to get good for four years just so we can be bad for six after the bad news comes out. 

Ehh? I am big on forgiveness and redemption and apparently Auburn is too if you look at Cam Newton and Nick Marshall past. He is my number 1 otherwise if we can't get an UM or Stoops then I am fine with a younger coach who has coached for multiple years and has shown they can build up a program.

Archived