Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Christobal is about the only one because he is from the Saban tree, but him leaving Oregon would be super difficult.

Why would that be "super difficult"? Cristobal is Cuban-American from Florida and has spent virtually his entire career recruiting and coaching in the South. He knows where the best talent and competition is. You think he's married to being the HC in Eugene, Oregon? The literal complete opposite corner of the country? A lot of you seem to have misconstrued perceptions about that job. Oregon has cool jerseys and nice facilities, but that isn't a "Blue Blood" program. They don't even pay their HC's that much. Do you realize that Cristobal only makes ~$2.6 mill a year at Oregon? Our lame duck head coach makes $7+ mill a year. Cristobal, Taggart, Kelly...none of these guys were on monster coaching contracts. Chip Kelly, even after all the winning, signed an extension in Oregon shortly before leaving for the NFL that still only made him the second highest paid HC in the PAC10. Forget the SEC or nationally; Lane Kiffin was getting paid more to be USC's HC while the program was on probation. When the NFL came calling for Kelly, Oregon did nothing to keep him there. Their coach prior to Cristobal walked out after one season to take the FSU job. Yeah a lot of that had to do with the fact that Taggart obviously wasn't a "fit" up in the Pacific Northwest, but it shows that Oregon's coaches are most definitely on the market if the guy in question has zero regional ties to that area in the first place. 

The other mistake that I see some of you making is assuming that these guys aren't hyper competitive and want to test themselves against the best of the best. Mario Cristobal spent 4 seasons under Saban; he played CFB for Miami during the PEAK of their dominance. You don't think he maybe picked up the drive to see how good a coach he himself can be? Why would you assume that he's perfectly content to work an "easy job" up in Oregon? Oregon will never match an SEC power program in terms of the resources and commitment to greatness to be the best. Even if they did, they're still in the middle of nowhere by football standards.

15 minutes ago, AURex said:

My issue with Kiffin, Cristobal and Sark is --- no Saban assistant has ever beat Saban.

This program needs to worry about the 12 other games on the schedule first and foremost, not one freaking game against a boogeyman. Hire a good coach first and foremost; because Alabama is an afterthought at this point. And here's a repeat of what I said a few weeks ago: a lot of you are too focused on finding this "perfect candidate" - has to have a magic answer for Saban, has to be a nice guy, has to be related to some Auburn legend, etc, etc. Answer me this: if we hired a coach and he won 10-games a year in each of '21, '22, '23 but lost to Saban in all of those years...would you be upset? Saban isn't 40 years old; worry about our actual football team and not who can or can't beat him. Its not like any of these guys 10-game sample sizes of not being able to beat him. 

3 hours ago, metafour said:

This program needs to worry about the 12 other games on the schedule first and foremost, not one freaking game against a boogeyman. Hire a good coach first and foremost; because Alabama is an afterthought at this point. And here's a repeat of what I said a few weeks ago: a lot of you are too focused on finding this "perfect candidate" - has to have a magic answer for Saban, has to be a nice guy, has to be related to some Auburn legend, etc, etc. Answer me this: if we hired a coach and he won 10-games a year in each of '21, '22, '23 but lost to Saban in all of those years...would you be upset? Saban isn't 40 years old; worry about our actual football team and not who can or can't beat him. Its not like any of these guys 10-game sample sizes of not being able to beat him. 

sadly majority of the fanbase is just happy winning the SEC and beating bammer and georgia i'm afraid thats how the majority of the deep pockets feel that "as long we beat bammer every two-three years and beat georgia once in a blue moon then gus is safe"  hell i'd like to beat a&m. vandy south carolina kentucky tennessee. florida arkansas ole miss mississippi state missouri and lsu as well whenever we play them

as strange as it see

1 minute ago, AURex said:

Yeah, that worked out well for Richt and his UGA tenure.

Mark Richt coached 15 years at UGA. What you are describing is something that you look at ~4-5 years into a coach's tenure, not something that supposedly disqualifies them before they even play a single game. We're MILES apart from Alabama right now; don't let a few god-sent victories against them confuse you about that fact.

Also, while Mark Richt certainly failed to reach the final pinnacle of the game, he kept that program winning and producing talent so that they at least KEPT UP with the rest of the powers in this conference. When it was time to replace him, that program was still a good program hence why Kirby was able to turn the page so quickly. Right now we're dangerously close to losing a lot of ground because the last two coaches have been complete clown shows, regardless of a few miracle seasons. We need a GOOD COACH who can recruit and win in this conference. Worry about the other school across the state after.

Also, I really hope I don't need to explain the silliness of that "stat". Mario Cristobal lost to Saban...with his FIU team. Was he supposed to win that game? Our current HC has beaten Saban, you think Georgia wants to trade Smart for Gus? 

46 minutes ago, metafour said:

Why would that be "super difficult"? Cristobal is Cuban-American from Florida and has spent virtually his entire career recruiting and coaching in the South. He knows where the best talent and competition is. You think he's married to being the HC in Eugene, Oregon? The literal complete opposite corner of the country? A lot of you seem to have misconstrued perceptions about that job. Oregon has cool jerseys and nice facilities, but that isn't a "Blue Blood" program. They don't even pay their HC's that much. Do you realize that Cristobal only makes ~$2.6 mill a year at Oregon? Our lame duck head coach makes $7+ mill a year. Cristobal, Taggart, Kelly...none of these guys were on monster coaching contracts. Chip Kelly, even after all the winning, signed an extension in Oregon shortly before leaving for the NFL that still only made him the second highest paid HC in the PAC10. Forget the SEC or nationally; Lane Kiffin was getting paid more to be USC's HC while the program was on probation. When the NFL came calling for Kelly, Oregon did nothing to keep him there. Their coach prior to Cristobal walked out after one season to take the FSU job. Yeah a lot of that had to do with the fact that Taggart obviously wasn't a "fit" up in the Pacific Northwest, but it shows that Oregon's coaches are most definitely on the market if the guy in question has zero regional ties to that area in the first place. 

The other mistake that I see some of you making is assuming that these guys aren't hyper competitive and want to test themselves against the best of the best. Mario Cristobal spent 4 seasons under Saban; he played CFB for Miami during the PEAK of their dominance. You don't think he maybe picked up the drive to see how good a coach he himself can be? Why would you assume that he's perfectly content to work an "easy job" up in Oregon? Oregon will never match an SEC power program in terms of the resources and commitment to greatness to be the best. Even if they did, they're still in the middle of nowhere by football standards.

I think you've over estimated that part of his history. He should leave a perennial Pac12 power, almost a guaranteed slot in playoffs and build his own to come our program that is sometimes a polished turd? It is fun to dismiss Oregon because they don't spend and compete like SEC but they have built their own program and can get 5 stars and athletes all over the country. Their facilities are better than most nfl teams. We compete but just offering him the job would not do it. We would need to make up for our mistakes with KS. Also Taggert left for FSU and not just any program AT the time. Chip got out right before recruiting violations and Oregon was glad to see him go. 

57 minutes ago, AURex said:

My issue with Kiffin, Cristobal and Sark is --- no Saban assistant has ever beat Saban.

Didn’t stop UGA from getting bowl cut and I don’t think they’re too upset about the results. While I want to beat Bama I want even more to have a stable and winning program that can take recruits and develop them to their full potential and set them up for success in the NFL. I also want someone who has good mentors and knowledge of the college and pro game, not get his mentoring from Houston Nutt, Todd Graham, and Gene Chizik. 

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

I think you've over estimated that part of his history. He should leave a perennial Pac12 power, almost a guaranteed slot in playoffs and build his own to come our program that is sometimes a polished turd? It is fun to dismiss Oregon because they don't spend and compete like SEC but they have built their own program and can get 5 stars and athletes all over the country. We compete but just offering him the job would not do it. We would need to make up for our mistakes with KS. Also Taggert left for FSU and not just any program AT the time. 

I'm not overestimating anything. If Oregon can do all that and is this supposed super-power, why do they pay their coach $2.5 mill a year? Thats like bottom-feeder SEC money. Head coaches leave much safer and comfier jobs every single year to come coach at schools like South Carolina and Vanderbilt where the likelihood of success in the SEC is like 1%. Why do they do that? Brett Bielema walked out of Wisconsin where he was winning to come get his ass kicked at Arkansas. I constantly see people say dumb s*** like "why would a coach want to come here and compete and recruit against Bama, LSU, and Georgia?"...well why would anyone want to come coach at any of these SEC programs that are historically a full level even below us? 

Mario Cristobal has zero ties to the Pacific Northwest and he barely makes any money. If he wants to compete with the best, well then he already knows where that is because he spent 4 seasons coaching WITH the best over in Alabama. Yeah, he can win a few PAC10 titles at Oregon with his $3 mill salary and hope that USC doesn't flip it around. None of that comes close to proving yourself in the SEC, and a job like Auburn offers that. 

16 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

can get 5 stars and athletes all over the country

If this was the case they would be in the top 5 in recruiting almost every year 

Let me throw out another name that might be a good fit for Auburn....Steve Sarkisian....

Thoughts on Mark Stoops? Four straight winning seasons at Kentucky, going on 5. First 10 win season at UK since 1977. Most wins in a 5 season stretch since Bear Bryant. 

He reminds me of Tubberville in his talent evaluating skills. Josh Allen and Benny Snell Jr. are STUDS. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Thoughts on Mark Stoops? Four straight winning seasons at Kentucky, going on 5. First 10 win season at UK since 1977. Most wins in a 5 season stretch since Bear Bryant. 

He reminds me of Tubberville in his talent evaluating skills. Josh Allen and Benny Snell Jr. are STUDS. 

Underrated in my opinion. Most people wouldn’t like it because it isn’t a splash hire.

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can anyone summarize what "The JBoy Show" said? Since unfortunately that thread devolved into a race discussion...

JBoy said he got several text messages, and a couple of phone calls from people he trusts saying " The Malzahn era at Auburn is over." Would not speculate as to how soon, but claims one of the phone calls said it could come as early as next week if we lose to Ole Mrs. 

There it is, for what it's worth. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Chris Peterson is available!! 147-38 all time record. Great big game coach. Won Pac 12 twice at Washington. I'd love it if we got him.

Always liked Peterson,but don't see him coming south at this stage of his life 

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

JBoy said he got several text messages, and a couple of phone calls from people he trusts saying " The Malzahn era at Auburn is over." Would not speculate as to how soon, but claims one of the phone calls said it could come as early as next week if we lose to Ole Mrs. 

There it is, for what it's worth. 

He just needs to be fired by end. Don’t care if it is early or not. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Chris Peterson is available!! 147-38 all time record. Great big game coach. Won Pac 12 twice at Washington. I'd love it if we got him.

Chris Petersen has zero interest in coaching outside the West. Are we back in 2010? Its been a decade+ of people trying to get him to take their SEC job - he's not coming. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Loves the west coast. Just like David Shaw. Specifically loves Seattle because of the healthcare. Definitely not leaving. 

Archived