Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in with Cristobal. We need some fire. He has the pedigree and the recruiting ties we need to compete with the big boys. 

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Tony Elliot, Clemson’s OC.

I was gonna post his name. He would be a great hire! In my top group if wants.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was gonna post his name. He would be a great hire! In my top group if wants.

Ugh if we are going coordinators I really want a defensive guy. Not going to lie 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ugh if we are going coordinators I really want a defensive guy. Not going to lie 

Understandable, but there'd definitely a benefit of having an *actual* offensive mind to compete with Nick and Kirby.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Understandable, but there'd definitely a benefit of having an *actual* offensive mind to compete with Nick and Kirby.

See I think it’s much easier to find and offensive guy to do that. I think it is a lot harder to field a quality defense , especially in this day in age of college football. 

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

All in with Cristobal. We need some fire. He has the pedigree and the recruiting ties we need to compete with the big boys. 

Yea let’s go with the coach of the ducks who Gus beat last year...What about Chris Peterson from Washington the year before, I actually think he’s unemployed we better snag him up!  

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Dude, you're a few years late to the conversation on this topic, but thanks for playing. If folks based hires based on if a coach beat another coach nobody would ever get hired. I mean , Gus beat Saban(in his prime) so Saban must be a horrible coach that can't manage a successful program by your logic. If you're here to just troll the board with this BS, you're wasting your time.

5 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Dude, you're a few years late to the conversation on this topic, but thanks for playing. If folks based hires based on if a coach beat another coach nobody would ever get hired. I mean , Gus beat Saban(in his prime) so Saban must be a horrible coach that can't manage a successful program by your logic. If you're here to just troll the board with this BS, you're wasting your time.

I don't understand the love fest for Clark. If you want a coach from an irrelevant school, grab the SDSU guy. He has put 2 different QBs in the draft from a D2 school while being the D2 saban. 

You’re welcome.  I honestly didn’t intend to offend.  I thought it was a fair jab from the standpoint of “let’s fire Gus this season only if things stay ugly and we dont finish strong” instead of “who’s my Preference when Gus gets canned” .... sorry dude I am new to the board and I thought it was a fair jab. 

I would make Urban Meyer & Bob Stoops tell me “no”. Both have won at the highest level, and I think that should be our expectation. If they do tell us “no”, then this would be my top 3. 

1. Mario Cristobal - dude can recruit. He’s also proven he can develop talent too. I’m not 100% sold that he can beat Nick or Kirby, but I think he’s the best available option.

2. Brent Venerables - I’m curious if he would keep Steele. Those two defensive minds together would be an awesome tandem, if they’re egos allowed it. He would hopefully bring a Clemson-type offense with him.

3. Joe Brady - I know he is inexperienced, but it’s all about the staff for me. I think he can keep parts of the staff for recruiting and then bring in key guys for development. His offense has beaten Nick & Kirby and set SEC records in only 1 year.

I’ve seen nothing from Matt Campbell & PJ Fleck that tells me that they can compete consistently with the big boys of the SEC.

I would put Eric Bienemy & Josh McDaniel on this list, but I don’t see those guys leaving the NFL.

4 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

PJ Fleck

I am confused. How have the three above showed you they can compete with the big boys of the SEC? One was a coordinator. Joe Brady, who I really like, is a passing coordinator and Mario Cristobal loss to the only SEC team he faced as a HC. I am not against the people you have stated, just confused about your reasoning for eliminating the two head coaches, while propping up the other prospects.

12 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

I don't understand the love fest for Clark. If you want a coach from an irrelevant school, grab the SDSU guy. He has put 2 different QBs in the draft from a D2 school while being the D2 saban. 

It has to do with the fact that he's won at UAB against the odds. Then Bama killed the program. Then it got a reprieve and he brought it back quickly. He's impressive, maybe not the sexy hire of a Cristobal but he shouldn't be discounted because of where he coaches. He's done a heck of a job against the worst odds. 

Texas or usc should get urban. I wouldn't want to sell my soul for that slimeball or Lane. I'd prefer Fleck or Franklin but I doubt they're coming. They both seem to really fit well where they are. Norvell is too new at free shoes but I think he's a good coach. The most Auburn thing would be to hire Lashlee.  Hope that doesn't happen. I don't want Freeze. Wouldn't be shocked by a look at Napier. All that said I don't know who would be the best choice. Hopefully someone better than I can think of. Mark Stoops might be a good answer since he may have done everything he can do there.

17 minutes ago, Under49 said:

Texas or usc should get urban. I wouldn't want to sell my soul for that slimeball or Lane. I'd prefer Fleck or Franklin but I doubt they're coming. They both seem to really fit well where they are. Norvell is too new at free shoes but I think he's a good coach. The most Auburn thing would be to hire Lashlee.  Hope that doesn't happen. I don't want Freeze. Wouldn't be shocked by a look at Napier. All that said I don't know who would be the best choice. Hopefully someone better than I can think of. Mark Stoops might be a good answer since he may have done everything he can do there.

You are entitled to your opinion but this is legit a big reason why we are where we are. You would take Fleck over UM for personal reasons.

1 hour ago, Amwest20 said:

You’re welcome.  I honestly didn’t intend to offend.  I thought it was a fair jab from the standpoint of “let’s fire Gus this season only if things stay ugly and we dont finish strong” instead of “who’s my Preference when Gus gets canned” .... sorry dude I am new to the board and I thought it was a fair jab. 

No worries man...I was there in 2017. Then he shat the bed for the last time for me. Add in the leveraging he did for the contract just made it worse. The guy has had plenty of chances to adapt and evolve,  but he doesn't. Every year the same ugly problems surface that you would think, being his side of the ball would see some improvement,  but it regresses. I love what he did with Cam and Nick, but I feel the game has passed him by and he's in over his ability. Just my opinion,  but the results justify it. Wde

13 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

No worries man...I was there in 2017. Then he shat the bed for the last time for me. Add in the leveraging he did for the contract just made it worse. The guy has had plenty of chances to adapt and evolve,  but he doesn't. Every year the same ugly problems surface that you would think, being his side of the ball would see some improvement,  but it regresses. I love what he did with Cam and Nick, but I feel the game has passed him by and he's in over his ability. Just my opinion,  but the results justify it. Wde

Why hate on a coach for leveraging on a contract to make himself rich?  I say he’s overpaid but props to him for getting it done.  
He’s turned us into a friggin air raid team trying to elvolve.  It’s not working please quit Gus.  
I believe he shat the bed by not making this team a similar Style as cam and nick Teams with bo... Running the football 

Worrying thought I just had: if the players’ eligibility is being extended, does that mean this albatross of a buyout will too? Why we HAVE to play the full season.

4 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

He retired.

Josh Heupel or make a big name the highest paid in the country.

PJ Fleck is a big NO for me 1 good year at Minnesota just not enough. Heupel may be as unproven but his players have a fire lit under them.

Archived