Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

10 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Cristobal or Sarkisian. Those seem like the best two choices all around that are also realistic.

Fleck and Joe Brady would be good, but I don’t see them coming here.

No on Urban ( I don’t care about his sleeziness as much as the fact that he won’t stay here long). Also we aren’t big time enough for him.

No on Freeze (I’m just not convinced that he can win in the SEC without cheating).

No on Clark and Napier(This would be the most Auburn thing we could do) Get outta here with these two choices! We would be right back in the same position in 5 years. 

I would rather have Napier than Clark. Look, it’s great what Clark did for UAB, but the NCAA gave them A LOT of help. 1989 SMU they were not.

Im still not quiiiiite as hot on Mario as others but he did get FIU their first winning season. It seems he can recruit well, though isn’t Oregon a pretty easy place to recruit with all that Phil Knight money?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do y'all think about Billy Napier? he was 21-11 going into this year. So far in 2020, Louisiana is 4-1. Also, they are 1-1 in bowl games.

Hopefully his luck will soon come to an end. I still feel Auburn should get Mario Cristabol. Billy Napier might be my 2nd choice.

Here are my picks for new Coach:

1. Luke Fickell
  2. Steve Sarkisian

The major issue is we need to get rid of CGM, he is killing the program.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:09 PM, Farmer Brown said:

Hugh Freeze led Liberty to a win over Southern Miss today. Syracuse last week. Keep this is mind, Liberty University. 

a box of burner phones and we are set....I know it's an old joke, but we all smile.

How can you hire a HC that also hurts thUGA or bama at the same time?

a.  Hire one of their key coordinators or

b.  former coordinators that knows their system very well

helps with all the negative recruiting and gameplanning.

That brings us back to Cristobal as the best candidate.  P Dye had this profile and he worked out ok.       

Who else fits that mold?  

I still go think B Venables should get a hard look-see.  Who is the SEC version of  Mike Gundy (without the mullet)?

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Hire the guy that gives us the best chance of having better players than them. That's Cristobal. 

I live in Cincy and Luke Fickell isn't going anywhere but I would love to see it. I have seen Luke a couple of times in person here and every time he talks about how much he and his family want to stay here. If he were to leave, it would have to be a very long term contract and worth his while. I think most here would be afraid to jump into another long term relationship.

Can we make a poll with the following names?:

PJ Fleck, Mario Cristobal, Billy Napier, Lane Kiffin, Joe Brady, Josh Heupel, Chris Klieman, Jeff Scott, Brent Venables, Matt Campbell, Dave Aranda, Tony Elliot, Mike Yurcich, Neal Brown, Hugh Freeze.  (maybe replace one or two of those with more popular possibilities)

I'm curious to see how popular some of those names are with our fan base/forum members.  

FTR, I like Fleck.  The only knock I've really seen on him is that he doesn't have ties to the South.  His resume' is impressive!

Mario checks most of the boxes.  I think he would be a solid candidate and might be the most likely to go toe to toe with saban and bowl cut in recruiting.

Brady is intriguing as well.  Last year LSU offense speaks for its' self.  What Carolina has done this year while they're supposed to be in tank mode and McCaffrey hurt has been impressive!  (Rhule was my guy I wanted to replace Gus the last 2 years)

Those 3 are probably my top 3 atm.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, GwillMac6 said:

RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! I want the absolute best and most elite recruiter that is a successful Head Coach that we can find. Schemes, what kind of offense and defense they run? That will all work itself out. We cannot keep falling further and further behind our 2 main rivals. We do not need top 10 classes anymore. We need top 5 classes. 

rrert.jpg

But can she coach?

2 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I live in Cincy and Luke Fickell isn't going anywhere but I would love to see it. I have seen Luke a couple of times in person here and every time he talks about how much he and his family want to stay here. If he were to leave, it would have to be a very long term contract and worth his while. I think most here would be afraid to jump into another long term relationship.

He's not leaving except in a pine box?

Agree with many here, Cristobal seems to check the most boxes!

2 hours ago, Hopsing said:

Agree with many here, Cristobal seems to check the most boxes!

So it's all but a guarantee he won't be the guy

16 hours ago, fishepa said:

He's not leaving except in a pine box?

Again, Everyone here hates Gus's 7 year deal... better be prepared to offer that to get Fickell to come and three years into it, people will be complaining if he doesn't beat Uga and Uat every year.. 

20 hours ago, Beaker said:

a.  Hire one of their key coordinators or

b.  former coordinators that knows their system very well

helps with all the negative recruiting and gameplanning.

That brings us back to Cristobal as the best candidate.  P Dye had this profile and he worked out ok.       

Who else fits that mold?  

I still go think B Venables should get a hard look-see.  Who is the SEC version of  Mike Gundy (without the mullet)?

When in the last decade has saban losing a coordinator actually caused an issue for him? 

Dude plays next man up with elite level coordinators. 

11 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Again, Everyone here hates Gus's 7 year deal... better be prepared to offer that to get Fickell to come and three years into it, people will be complaining if he doesn't beat Uga and Uat every year.. 

ughhh yah. Any coach would get that treatment here. Not just Fickell. 

dfdfs.gif

12 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

When in the last decade has saban losing a coordinator actually caused an issue for him? 

Dude plays next man up with elite level coordinators. 

Exactly. When you have a great Head Coach losing great assistants is no big deal. It is only a big deal when you have a average coach like we do.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Exactly. When you have a great Head Coach losing great assistants is no big deal. It is only a big deal when you have a average coach like we do.

It's much more than that. It's elite level talent that FITS the team's offensive and defensive architecture the head coach has established. Then with good coordinators you have the making of a good or better team.. Good coordinators are great when they have elite talent. Great coordinators are only good or bad when they don't have good talent.

Archived