Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

Someone who adapts the offense and defense to the teams and talent around them.  Also, someone who doesn't have a 7-16 record (will be 7-18 by season's end) against our biggest 3 rivals after 8 years. Someone who utilizes talent, improves talent and doesn't stick with the same old stale scheme year after year, while using certain players for specific plays only and isn't insanely predictable. 

Too much to ask?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DAG said:

Are you suggesting T-Will as head coach ?

No not now as he doesn’t have the needed experience needed but down the line he would be a great choice in my eyes 

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’ll take Gus after Bicknell rebuilds the line and Auburn can go back to the power run play action with Davis at Qb, Tank and Armoni in the backfield, Frazier and Peggues at TE.  That is a formula for success.  If Gus can learn how to build a passing tree from Chad then that’ll help too.  

I’ll also take Bill Clark.  He’s been a winner everywhere he’s been.

How about fire Gus and promote Morris? 

Cristobal

Heupel

Brandon Streeter

Yurcich

Klieman

Jeff Scott

Kevin Wilson

Aranda 

Vennables

Alex Grinch

Shane Beamer (up and commer)

7 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

How about fire Gus and promote Morris? 

You liked the way Arky performed over the past two years?

PJ Fleck should be option #1 if we're shooting for the stars and someone to bring Bruce Pearl like energy into the program. I don't care about his southern ties he would recruit lights out here at Auburn. He's way more consistent then what we've seen and he's essentially rebuilt two different programs while being under 40 years old.

Outside of that I like a lot of Bird's list. Cristobal is probably my #2 option.

Josh Huepel I'm a little skeptical of right now as a UCF fan and seeing some under-performing games with him.

Dave Aranda would be high on my list too.

I want someone who wants to create a NFL football factory for the program.  Allows schemes to adapt to the talent and knows how to run  and execute practices, training and drills to ready for the next level.  Someone who can bring out the toughness, nasty out of his players to get to that elite level.  

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Cristobal

Heupel

Brandon Streeter

Yurcich

Klieman

Jeff Scott

Kevin Wilson

Aranda 

Vennables

Alex Grinch

Shane Beamer (up and commer)

If this IS the list, do we feel really good that Cristobal can do all that Gus does well, but elevate us to better results against the GAs, LSUs, and Bowl opponents?

Tell me how Cristobal gives us a better chance to be better than Gus? It's not that I want to Gus to stay, it's more of how do we know this guy has better qualifications.

I'll hang up and listen...

They have to hire someone who can recruit AND wants to be at Auburn. It needs to be and feel like the Kirby and Pruitt hires.

I've said it probably 10+ times since Sunday on here but I would want MC. 

Writing off Mario Cristobal after the Oregon/Auburn game last year is the most close minded, typical Auburn fan BS imaginable. You're the same people who hold on to Iron Bowl wins and stick your head in the sand when they play LSU and Georgia. 

Forget COVID and the buyout for 2 seconds, 25-25 in the last 50 games. What else do you need to know? This is not pro football, they don't get rewarded with draft picks for sucking. If you suck in CFB you slide down the ladder and it's hell to climb back up.

19 hours ago, copper4eva said:

Because the obvious root of all our issues right here is recruiting. The talent gap between Auburn and Georgia, bama, LSU is absurd right now. It's still possible for us to pull an upset on them, but it requires a perfect gameplan from us and screw ups from them (see bama last year). But anyways, I don't feel like I probably have to go into immense detail on the talent gap right now. What I'm getting at is I feel like we NEED an elite recruiter at HC. Like, even if the HC is a genius game planner and coach, if he can't close the talent gap I don't see how it's going to help us. You can not scheme around our linemen getting completely trashed, on both sides of the ball. That's all there is to it.

So because of this my number one concern about a potentially getting a new HC (sadly might not happen thanks to the worst contract freaking ever, thanks Leath) is how well can he recruit. That's why I'm not personally big on PJ Fleck. Someone who has a lot of SEC experience recruiting is someone who we need. Frankly, someone like Kirby Smart, who we talked to in 2012 but I won't bother going there.

Also, on a side note, I think judging coaches purely of how they played Auburn is short sighted. Judging Mario Cristobal for losing to Gus is judging the man for one game. Same with how Fleck beat us last year. Every major head coach has had games much worse than Oregons game against Auburn in 2019. Take Gus last Saturday for example...

If you guys think Fleck is the answer then please explain. I just don't see how anyone can deal with our rivals without closing the talent gap further. So unless if Fleck can somehow recruit like hell down here, I'm not for him.

Oh and also, if we hire a strong elite recruiter and he doesn't work. At least the next guy inherits a bunch of talent. You can't really inherit gameplans from the last game, but you can inherit the talent.

I think Cristobal best fits your description.  I don't know if you can get him away from Nik... I mean Oregon. 

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

They have to hire someone who can recruit AND wants to be at Auburn. It needs to be and feel like the Kirby and Pruitt hires.

I've said it probably 10+ times since Sunday on here but I would want MC. 

Writing off Mario Cristobal after the Oregon/Auburn game last year is the most close minded, typical Auburn fan BS imaginable. You're the same people who hold on to Iron Bowl wins and stick your head in the sand when they play LSU and Georgia. 

Forget COVID and the buyout for 2 seconds, 25-25 in the last 50 games. What else do you need to know? This is not pro football, they don't get rewarded with draft picks for sucking. If you suck in CFB you slide down the ladder and it's hell to climb back up.

Agree.  Heard the same argument against Tuberville when he left Ole Miss.  He never beat AU or AL.  Well he sure beat AL when he was at AU. 

1 minute ago, Howard Roark said:

I think Cristobal best fits your description.  I don't know if you can get him away from Nik... I mean Oregon. 

Nike hasn't done anything for Oregon or Cristobal tbh. Maybe they pony up, if he uses Auburn wanting him as a HC. 

2 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

Speaking of Nike, to have this conversation for nth time I would love for Auburn to get away from this damned Under Armor contract. It does not help a lick in recruiting (especially basketball).

14 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I’d prefer someone NOT from the Saban coaching tree. But, it’s hard to not want Cristobal. He’s a great recruiter. He has very good Offensive Lines. Auburn has proven to be successful on offense when we have good OL play.

I would say Cristobal or Joe Brady are 1A & 1B for me. 

Joe Brady obviously is the biggest unknown. How would he do as a HC? What’s his defensive philosophy? How involved would he be in the Defense and Special Teams? Would he jump at a chance to be an NFL head coach? (Probably yes)

Whoever it is - he needs to be a relentless recruiter. We have held our ground in recruiting, but we have lost some key battles that could have made a difference. He also needs to be able to recruit a great staff that can develop talent. I like Brady’s connection to the NFL. I’m intrigued on who he could bring with him.

Why would you want to avoid the Saban tree? Mario Cristobal is my personal favorite.

Unpopular opinion, but I think Joe Brady is the most overrated coach in football right now. Everyone talks like he was the genius mastermind behind LSU's offense. But the reality of LSU's offense is very simple. They had a 1st overall at QB, 1st round at RB, and a bunch of other draft pick worthy players at receiver and OL. Joe Brady came to LSU for one year. So it's not like he was there while they recruited up all the top players. People are giving him too much credit for that offense. Not saying he deserves zero credit or anything. I would wait and see if he manages to do anything special as the Panthers OC.

Also, Brady is super young. It's only his second season as a full time coordinator. Just, with so little experience so far I really struggle to see how'd he would handle being an SEC HC. I would not put Brady on the same level as Cristobal, who has so much more experience.

21 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

So one plus side to this is Oregon has a recent history of not paying their HC's. No idea why but they really don't. They put up zero effort to keep a hold of Chip Kelly when he went to the NFL. And Chip was very underpaid at Oregon too. But maybe they change tactics and pay Cristobal.

Honestly, I admire them for not overspending. Wish we wouldn't dump giant contracts on every coach just for one great/good season.

7 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

So one plus side to this is Oregon has a recent history of not paying their HC's. No idea why but they really don't. They put up zero effort to keep a hold of Chip Kelly when he went to the NFL. And Chip was very underpaid at Oregon too. But maybe they change tactics and pay Cristobal.

Honestly, I admire them for not overspending. Wish we wouldn't dump giant contracts on every coach just for one great/good season.

But they spend so much money on everything else. Maybe it works out as a write-off for Nike to supply equipment and facilities, but they can't pay salaries the same way? 

But Cristobal is making 2.6 million up there while having to work his ass off to get any talent to Eugene. He'd have to work hard here, too, obviously, but we are capable of so much more in recruiting. We'd have to pay the man but I don't think we'd have to shoot the moon and I think we could get him for a lot less than $7 million per. 

11 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

Unpopular opinion, but I think Joe Brady is the most overrated coach in football right now. Everyone talks like he was the genius mastermind behind LSU's offense. But the reality of LSU's offense is very simple. They had a 1st overall at QB, 1st round at RB, and a bunch of other draft pick worthy players at receiver and OL. Joe Brady came to LSU for one year. So it's not like he was there while they recruited up all the top players. People are giving him too much credit for that offense. Not saying he deserves zero credit or anything. I would wait and see if he manages to do anything special as the Panthers OC.

Right, but were those players going in the first round before they landed in his offensive system? Joe Burrow was like a 4th string transfer from Ohio State (predicted by absolutely no one to be a 1st overall pick at QB) and the RB was a 3-star recruit. The point is that he took those players and put them into a highly sophisticated system that utilized everything on the roster to its maximum...thats why he GOT an NFL OC job after just one season. Guys like that don't just get NFL OC jobs for no reason, especially that quickly. He's already doing things now in Carolina that has people already talking about him as an NFL HC candidate as early as next season. You're right that he's obviously really young and its hard to know if he could handle the non-coaching side of college football, but I don't think there's anything "overrated" about what he's accomplished to date. The problem here  is that he looks like a guy who's already in ascension to an NFL HC job; I don't think there's any reason for him to come back to the NCAA level. Like I said there's already talk about that happening as early as next year, which I think is really pushing it and probably won't happen, but there has been a huge trend in the NFL to push these super-young HC's who look like stars, and a declining trend in recycling old coaches who have failed/been fired multiple times. The NFL, like baseball already has, is moving towards a more forward thinking model.

I don't think there's anything "overrated" about Brady. There's a whole slew of OC's in college football (who light the NCAA up) who would never get a single call from the NFL because the NFL knows that they are gimmick/"College" offense guys. Joe Brady is an NFL offense guy.

59 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If this IS the list, do we feel really good that Cristobal can do all that Gus does well, but elevate us to better results against the GAs, LSUs, and Bowl opponents?

Tell me how Cristobal gives us a better chance to be better than Gus? It's not that I want to Gus to stay, it's more of how do we know this guy has better qualifications.

I'll hang up and listen...

Better recruiting and great ties to the SE

Better understanding of the importance of the OL

Better understanding of program building

Great understanding of the mental game

Better roster management

Better pedigree

Better intra-university relationship skills

Aggressive competitiveness

Toughness

By the way; past the Cristobal/Brady level of potential candidates, there is also Billy Napier who is currently killing it as the HC at Louisiana in his third season there. They beat the piss out of #23 Iowa State in the opening week of the season. Napier has extensive time under both Dabo at Clemson and Saban at Bama. He is from the south, is an elite recruiter, and is young. This is one of those guys who will get a call from schools like South Carolina as early as next season. Super high upside candidate.

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Right, but were those players going in the first round before they landed in his offensive system? Joe Burrow was like a 4th string transfer from Ohio State (predicted by absolutely no one to be a 1st overall pick at QB) and the RB was a 3-star recruit. The point is that he took those players and put them into a highly sophisticated system that utilized everything on the roster to its maximum...thats why he GOT an NFL OC job after just one season. Guys like that don't just get NFL OC jobs for no reason, especially that quickly. He's already doing things now in Carolina that has people already talking about him as an NFL HC candidate as early as next season. You're right that he's obviously really young and its hard to know if he could handle the non-coaching side of college football, but I don't think there's anything "overrated" about what he's accomplished to date. The problem here  is that he looks like a guy who's already in ascension to an NFL HC job; I don't think there's any reason for him to come back to the NCAA level. Like I said there's already talk about that happening as early as next year, which I think is really pushing it and probably won't happen, but there has been a huge trend in the NFL to push these super-young HC's who look like stars, and a declining trend in recycling old coaches who have failed/been fired multiple times. The NFL, like baseball already has, is moving towards a more forward thinking model.

I don't think there's anything "overrated" about Brady. There's a whole slew of OC's in college football (who light the NCAA up) who would never get a single call from the NFL because the NFL knows that they are gimmick/"College" offense guys. Joe Brady is an NFL offense guy.

Nailed it!!!!   Anyone watching that offense last year saw a coordinator who could put players in winning situations against a defense.   It’s like watching Kiffin scheme against a defense.   He puts his best receiver in multiple positions to get him in a mismatch situation. 

Archived