Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

3 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Again, Everyone here hates Gus's 7 year deal... better be prepared to offer that to get Fickell to come and three years into it, people will be complaining if he doesn't beat Uga and Uat every year.. 

Literally one win AT LSU, UGA, or Bama over a 8 year span would be an improvement.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I live in Cincy and Luke Fickell isn't going anywhere but I would love to see it. I have seen Luke a couple of times in person here and every time he talks about how much he and his family want to stay here. If he were to leave, it would have to be a very long term contract and worth his while. I think most here would be afraid to jump into another long term relationship.

I can see it. Head coaches in the AAC are making pretty decent cash and comes with the added bonus of not being expected to beat the Power 5 schools and compete for the Playoffs.

Make it to NY6 bowl and maybe upset a Pitt or a Syracuse and everyone loves you!

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

So it's all but a guarantee he won't be the guy

Seems about right!

On 10/7/2020 at 3:05 PM, DAG said:

I am not going to get into specifics but what I will say is the obvious is proven winners , which will cost a good nickel. The next is unproven Non power 5 coaches or assistant coaches which should not come at a high price. I think these coaches can do just about the same as Gus. My issue is paying a coach top tier money and he is average .

Fantasy: Urban Meyer , Bob Stoops, P.J. Fleck. 

Unproven non power 5 coaches: Josh Heupel, Bill Clark

Current  power 5 Coaches that would be a total Auburn move: Mario Cristobel, James Franklin.

The Dabo Fantasy: Joe Brady

Total Auburn Left field pick: Bill O Brien.  Mark Richt lol

Exactly why is Fleck so high on so many peoples list? Just don't see it as that row boat is already sinking.

11 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Exactly why is Fleck so high on so many peoples list? Just don't see it as that row boat is already sinking.

Because he was successful at the non-power 5 school and moderately successfully at Minnesota. You judging him because he got blown out by Michigan in the first game of the season? Look at his whole body work and make a judgement my goodness. Last year he lead Minnesota to one of their best seasons in 4 to 5 decades. That is not easy to do. He had the first ten win season of Minnesota since 1904. And ended the season in the top ten something they haven't done since the civil rights days. He is a program builder with much less talent.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because he was successful at the non-power 5 school and moderately successfully at Minnesota. You judging him because he got blown out by Michigan in the first game of the season? Look at his whole body work and make a judgement my goodness. Last year he lead Minnesota to one of their best seasons in 4 to 5 decades. That is not easy to do. He had the first ten win season of Minnesota since 1904. And ended the season in the top ten something they haven't done since the civil rights days. He is a program builder with much less talent.

Yep. He's a good coach but I don't think he'd be inclined to leave the Midwest. Wouldn't shock me if he winds up as Harbaugh's replacement after Sir Khakis loses to Ohio State this year. Again. 

6 hours ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Yep. He's a good coach but I don't think he'd be inclined to leave the Midwest. Wouldn't shock me if he winds up as Harbaugh's replacement after Sir Khakis loses to Ohio State this year. Again. 

Yeah he is definitely a Midwest guy. I highly doubt he is coming down here .

8 hours ago, wde1968 said:

Just a couple of reasons:

He has led WMU and UM to historic seasons, turning both programs around in very impressive fashion.  

He is a proven recruiter.  He had a few of the highest recruiting classes in MAC history while at WMU.  

He worked hard to convince AD to improve facilities at both WMU and UM.  Both programs have benefitted much from those efforts.  

In addition to his proven success at the college level, he also has playing and coaching experience in the NFL.  

He has a “Bruce Pearl type” personality that the media and recruits love, drawing very positive attention to his program   

He isn’t a gimmicky guy that has a lucky season here or there, but he is a visionary leader who leads his whole program and hires assistants and recruits players that will be successful in his program.

He inspires young men to be their best at football and at life.  His “row the boat” mantra is how he was able to overcome his grief from his son’s passing and turn it into a positive.  

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah he is definitely a Midwest guy. I highly doubt he is coming down here .

Yeah, that’s really the only legitimate knock on him is that he doesn’t have any ties to the south.  He coached at Tampa Bay with Schiano for a couple of years, but that’s it.  
I think the opportunity to turn Auburn into a top level power on the biggest stage in CF might be enough to get him to starting drinking sweet tea. 🤷‍♂️

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he also has NFL aspirations.  

Y’all may have already discussed this but I think if Gus is let go Auburn should go after Kiffin.  I just think if he had the facilities he could put a program together that would challenge Bammer and UGA.  All he would need to do is keep the defensive coaching staff together and the put together his own offense.  Plus he could do a great job of getting under Saban’s skin.  My second choice would be Hugh Freeze.  I think he has served his pittance and  should be given another shot. 

59 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Y’all may have already discussed this but I think if Gus is let go Auburn should go after Kiffin.

I've been curious about that possibility lately, too. Not sure if he's a cultural fit, though. And that's not a shot at him at all. I don't know of him having any character flaws. Honestly he's just too fun and cool and good at passing hte ball for Auburn, lol.

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've been curious about that possibility lately, too. Not sure if he's a cultural fit, though. And that's not a shot at him at all. I don't know of him having any character flaws. Honestly he's just too fun and cool and good at passing hte ball for Auburn, lol.

I know Kiffin royally pissed of Tennessee, then went to USC and the Raiders and got run off.  Those failures had a whole lot to do with being too young to be in those positions.  But after going through a resurrection under Saban he did a great job at Florida Atlantic and his offense would have beaten Saban a few weeks ago if he had any defense at Ole Miss.  it certainly looks like he has his act together now and he has Ole Miss playing very well for a team that lacks facilities and roster to compete at a high level in the SEC.  If he had the Auburn facilities I think he would be very dangerous as a recruiter and a head coach.  If we wait till he upgrades Ole Miss it may be too late to get him to leave.  

33 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I know Kiffin royally pissed of Tennessee, then went to USC and the Raiders and got run off.  Those failures had a whole lot to do with being too young to be in those positions.  But after going through a resurrection under Saban he did a great job at Florida Atlantic and his offense would have beaten Saban a few weeks ago if he had any defense at Ole Miss.  it certainly looks like he has his act together now and he has Ole Miss playing very well for a team that lacks facilities and roster to compete at a high level in the SEC.  If he had the Auburn facilities I think he would be very dangerous as a recruiter and a head coach.  If we wait till he upgrades Ole Miss it may be too late to get him to leave.  

Truly couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly how I view his career/maturation, and potential, too.

5 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Y’all may have already discussed this but I think if Gus is let go Auburn should go after Kiffin.  I just think if he had the facilities he could put a program together that would challenge Bammer and UGA.  All he would need to do is keep the defensive coaching staff together and the put together his own offense.  Plus he could do a great job of getting under Saban’s skin.  My second choice would be Hugh Freeze.  I think he has served his pittance and  should be given another shot. 

Pretty sure old miss will give him plenty of facilities. Looking for Lane to lock in for a while at ole miss. 

My thought would to be look at the NFL and find a business type guy like Nick to come in. Someone willing to take the bull by the horns and instill winning into the group. Gus’s main downfall is he sees no problem so has no reason to fix anything. We were lucky to get Bruce. We just happened to be in the right spot at the right time . 

I have a question that may be unpopular. We hear the argument for Gus that "He is still learning" or "He is still a green head coach"....So what if Gus hired an OC outside of his tree who runs a completely different Offensive scheme....Could Gus ever do that? Could he ever truly give up the Offense completely to a Steve Sark or Art Briles type of player...and be the CEO coach that Saban has been? Would he be able to turn the corner if he did? 

I know this will probably never happen, but I wonder how it would be.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I have a question that may be unpopular. We hear the argument for Gus that "He is still learning" or "He is still a green head coach"....So what if Gus hired an OC outside of his tree who runs a completely different Offensive scheme....Could Gus ever do that? Could he ever truly give up the Offense completely to a Steve Sark or Art Briles type of player...and be the CEO coach that Saban has been? Would he be able to turn the corner if he did? 

He would if he wanted to stay at Auburn, then he would try anything to fix his offensive inconsistencies. 

If his legacy or his ego was more important to him, then he would not change and he would be out of a job. 

So, don't know which is more important to him. 

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

"He's still learning" sounds good on paper but the reality is just about every coach who's won a national title in the last two decades won their first one by their eighth or ninth season as head man. The only three coaches to pick up their first title after year nine are Nick Saban (2003 was year 10), Jim Tressel (year 17), and Mack Brown (year 22). Further, Tressel had four I-AA titles at Youngstown State before winning his first FBS title in year 2 at Ohio State. Mack Brown's 2005 title was preceded by four straight 10 or 11 win seasons. It's entirely possible that Gus has an epiphany and figures it out but historical evidence would suggest otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So what if Gus hired an OC outside of his tree who runs a completely different Offensive scheme....Could Gus ever do that? Could he ever truly give up the Offense completely to a Steve Sark or Art Briles type of player...and be the CEO coach that Saban has been? Would he be able to turn the corner if he did? 

Not just no...

27 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

"He's still learning" sounds good on paper but the reality is just about every coach who's won a national title in the last two decades won their first one by the their eighth or ninth season as head man. The only three coaches to pick up their first title after year nine are Nick Saban (2003 was year 10), Jim Tressel (year 17), and Mack Brown (year 22). Further, Tressel had four I-AA titles at Youngstown State before winning his first FBS title in year 2 at Ohio State. Mack Brown's 2005 title was preceded by four straight 10 or 11 win seasons. It's entirely possible that Gus has an epiphany and figures it out but historical evidence would suggest otherwise. 

I agree. It is not my opinion. I hear it all the time from Gus apologist.

Gus’ outdated offense is, by far, not the only problem the football program has. Just to name a few, he doesn’t recruit to needs, doesn’t develop QBs, his hiring practices are atrocious, his roster management is sophomoric, ad nauseam. 

1 hour ago, wcware said:

He could bring in Tony Franklin?

I mean you’re not wrong, but...

11 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Fleck still on the list? 

What a great game. I cannot believe Minnesota gave up that big lead!

Archived