Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, casatiger said:

Fleck still on the list? 

Yes. If we based things on a game to game basis would anyone be left besides Saban and Dabo and MAYBE Ryan Day? lol. That is the problem being at a program like Minny (and Kentucky in Mark Stoops case) which is made up of 2 and 3 stars with a couple of 4 stars here and there. You are in danger of losing every game and it is very rare you have the talent advantage in ANY game. He should of cashed in after last years magical season and gone to a bigger more high profile job which is easier to recruit. Problem is the only one that opened last cycle was I believe FSU and that is just a complete dumpster fire right now. He is going to come back down to earth majorly right now this season and most fanbases of opposing schools will cool on him and not want him as much.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes. If we based things on a game to game basis would anyone be left besides Saban and Dabo? lol. That is the problem being at a program like Minny (and Kentucky in Mark Stoops case) which is made up of 2 and 3 stars with a couple of 4 stars here and there. You are in danger of losing every game and it is very rare you have the talent advantage. He should of cashed in after last years magical season and gone to a bigger more high profile job which is easier to recruit. Problem is the only one that did last cycle was I believe FSU and that is just a complete dumpster fire right now. He is going to come back down to earth majorly right now and most fanbases of opposing schools will cool on him and not want him as much.

I agree.  I do worry that he is a bit idealistic and would not fit in the murky waters of some programs.  

2 hours ago, shabby said:

This is why we should wait for the season to play out before premature ejacu coach searching. Every damn year. 

Nobody wants him fired because of one game or one season. Although ironically I think some fans value him because of one game a year.

I just read an article on espn.com about Steve Sarkisian. Sounds like he would be a great head coach choice. Anyone have any intel as to whether he would be interested in Auburn? 

I am not going back through 21 pages of this to see if anyone floated this idea and I am not sure what I think about this, but I am being real.

Just hear me out - 

1. Gus is likely gone in 2 yrs unless he learns to be consistent and can beat our rivals more often.  Fact.

2. Attracting the coach we want is probably not gonna happen.  I mean WANT, not settling for who we can get. 

3.  Maybe the coach we need is on staff right now.   

4.  Dabo had never been a HC or coordinator before becoming Clemson's HC...many forget that.   Maybe we need a great leader and someone who absolutely loves Auburn enough to cut off their right arm to beat our rivals half the time.   Not to be HC, but to BEAT our rivals Big difference.  

I have never been on board with the HC needing to be calling the plays or  setting the defensive formation.  

Now say you go this route - you aren't paying $7 mil a year to this guy  and you can afford to buy out Gus maybe a year sooner now.  (Hmmm nor are you paying the school you poached a coach from or all your staff to go away.)     Also, he could also be a in great position to retain some of the staff that he absolutely knows inside and out (thus saving money) and quickening the transition, while absolutely not losing ground in that year's recruiting cycle.  

@Allengreene    you should print this and chew on this buddy. 

54 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am not going back through 21 pages of this to see if anyone floated this idea and I am not sure what I think about this, but I am being real.

Just hear me out - 

1. Gus is likely gone in 2 yrs unless he learns to be consistent and can beat our rivals more often.  Fact.

2. Attracting the coach we want is probably not gonna happen.  I mean WANT, not settling for who we can get. 

4.  Dabo had never been a HC or coordinator before becoming Clemson's HC...many forget that.   Maybe we need a great leader and someone who absolutely loves Auburn enough to cut off their right arm to beat our rivals half the time.   Not to be HC, but to BEAT our rivals Big difference.  

I have never been on board with the HC needing to be calling the plays or  setting the defensive formation.  

Now say you go this route - you aren't paying $7 mil a year to this guy  and you can afford to buy out Gus maybe a year sooner now.  (Hmmm nor are you paying the school you poached a coach from or all your staff to go away.)     Also, he could also be a in great position to retain some of the staff that he absolutely knows inside and out (thus saving money) and quickening the transition, while absolutely not losing ground in that year's recruiting cycle.  

Which of our assistants are you referring to?

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Just hear me out - 

Who would you suggest taking over that's on staff?

Offensive:

Chad

Kodi

Bucknell

Caddy

Defensive:

Rodney

TWill

McGriff

Steele

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Which of our assistants are you referring to?

I don't want to pretend I know them well enough to have a strong opinion.  I am sharing a concept that we all overlook or don't think about.

If I was pressed to answer you and @bigbird, I think T Will  could be the man.   But I wish he had been on more staffs before coming back to Auburn.  But that should not be held against him, but considered.    Lots of charisma and seems to be a leader who is gaining a lot of attention as he will likely get a DC job somewhere soon. 

45 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Hugh Freeze is doing a heck of a job at Liberty. 6-0. I would take him in a minute. 

Dang right and with our former third string QB. I would take him or Luke Fickell any day or the week.

16 hours ago, casatiger said:

James Franklin might be interested in a change of scenery.  Rough start for PSU. 

Are you kidding, I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. PSU is 0-3 and has been beat by Indiana and blown out by Maryland!

1 hour ago, rophle said:

Are you kidding, I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. PSU is 0-3 and has been beat by Indiana and blown out by Maryland!

Are you making a case against him because of his record or for him being interested in leaving? 

1 hour ago, casatiger said:

Are you making a case against him because of his record or for him being interested in leaving? 

I’m saying if he can’t beat Indiana and Maryland with the resources he has at Penn St in his 7th season on the job, what makes you think he would be successful at Auburn?

4 hours ago, rophle said:

I’m saying if he can’t beat Indiana and Maryland with the resources he has at Penn St in his 7th season on the job, what makes you think he would be successful at Auburn?

I honestly have no idea why he is 0-3.  Just have not followed it that closely.  Not sure if he had a bunch of opt outs or if he lost a bunch of seniors or they are just underperforming.   At one time he was a darling at Vandy.   Like Harbaugh, I would assume he is feeling some heat.  

Franklin (PSU), Harbaugh (Michigan), Fuentes (Va. Tech) and Herman (Texas) are four more previous darlings of this board. Most may soon be available again. Lets shoot for the guy that can't win at Texas! He'll be sure to provide AU with gripe material for years to come.

Speaking of Indiana, I would not be upset at Tom Allen. He was actually who I wanted as DC a few years ago before we got Steele. He’s built Indiana from the ground up into being a respectable program. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Franklin (PSU), Harbaugh (Michigan), Fuentes (Va. Tech) and Herman (Texas) are four more previous darlings of this board. Most may soon be available again. Lets shoot for the guy that can't win at Texas! He'll be sure to provide AU with gripe material for years to come.

Yep, they were all can’t miss candidates that are now failing at places that have more resources than we have at Auburn (except VA Tech). 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

You make a good point, but ultimately we need someone who can recruit a good O-line. No, we’re not going to get as good recruits as UAT and UGA, but no reason we can’t get 2007 and 11 level OL classes on a consistent basis.

IF we can get Cristobal, we should go after him.

Beating Virginia Tech with a last second FG doesn’t translate to beating Georgia or Bama on the road at a .500 level. Freeze is doing very well, but is he or Franklin going to be able to compete against the best coaches in the country?

Archived