Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Beating Virginia Tech with a last second FG doesn’t translate to beating Georgia or Bama on the road at a .500 level. Freeze is doing very well, but is he or Franklin going to be able to compete against the best coaches in the country?

He did at Ole Miss. Yes, Ole Miss has to play the recruiting game way outside the margins to compete, but we don't. 

Not advocating for Freeze in any way, but he will win games if he gets a big time job. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He did at Ole Miss. Yes, Ole Miss has to play the recruiting game way outside the margins to compete, but we don't. 

Not advocating for Freeze in any way, but he will win games if he gets a big time job. 

He changed the way Ole Miss competed immediately, before they had the players, and before he even won those big games. Bottom line is he gets the most out of his players. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He changed the way Ole Miss competed immediately, before they had the players, and before he even won those big games. Bottom line is he gets the most out of his players. 

That's the better way to state half my point, for sure.

The better way to explain the other half of my point is that Ole Miss, while not a blue blood program, is a legitimate P5 program. 

Very talented coach who has had success in big boy football. 

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Franklin (PSU), Harbaugh (Michigan), Fuentes (Va. Tech) and Herman (Texas) are four more previous darlings of this board. Most may soon be available again. Lets shoot for the guy that can't win at Texas! He'll be sure to provide AU with gripe material for years to come.

I get it. But, Orgeron wins a championship after failing at Ole Miss.  Dabo comes out of nowhere as a wide receivers coach that was a joke at first.  Saban had good success at LSU but failed at Miami but did we see him becoming the best coach in the history of the game?  I just cannot determine the formula for who will be successful and who will not.  Thankfully they do not ask my opinion.  

I'll take the coaching equivalent of Ric Flair (the dirtiest player in the game). We go against Pruitt, Smart, and Saban; 3 of the dirtiest you can find. To compete with that, you have to be willing to get down in the gutter/mud with them and beat them at their own game. Who that is, I don't know but we need to find him. The choir boy type isn't gonna work. Heck, get Freeze and switch out his burner phones more frequently.

7 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Beating Virginia Tech with a last second FG doesn’t translate to beating Georgia or Bama on the road at a .500 level. Freeze is doing very well, but is he or Franklin going to be able to compete against the best coaches in the country?

Alabama and Clemson have 5 playoff appearances each and about to be 6.  Auburn has zero.  I think it is fair to say Auburn is not really competing with the best programs right now. I think there is room for improvement. 

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I'll take the coaching equivalent of Ric Flair (the dirtiest player in the game). We go against Pruitt, Smart, and Saban; 3 of the dirtiest you can find. To compete with that, you have to be willing to get down in the gutter/mud with them and beat them at their own game. Who that is, I don't know but we need to find him. The choir boy type isn't gonna work. Heck, get Freeze and switch out his burner phones more frequently.

According to Pete Thamel, Auburn's an outlaw program already, so what do they have to lose?

2 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

According to Pete Thamel, Auburn's an outlaw program already, so what do they have to lose?

Maybe Freeze was the bagman?

10 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It does when you are freaking liberty. come on man. And I am pretty sure Hugh Freeze beat Bama twice . There is a reason why NS wanted him. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I also think Freeze will win wherever he goes. Now if we get rid of Gus I just don't know if I can be an advocate of him either. It's like when a friend has a relationship that ends badly. I feel like I have to choose a side and friends of friends are collateral damage. Freeze is a friend of Gus so therefore I won't send him an invitation to the party. 

...but if someone else invited him to the party that's different. 

55 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

My Freeze prediction: South Carolina...but if we lose to UT and it starts an avalanche of losses I could see us bidding for him.

Yep, looks like Muschamp is just not a head coach.   Nothing wrong with that, I think there are a lot of coaches that think they are head coach material but would be better served just being coordinators.    Vandy may decide to change course and boot Mason.  Not sure if Freeze would take the Vandy job, I wouldn’t.  On the other hand,  South Carolina is a good job, and Spurrier has proven you can win.   

If Auburn loses to Tennessee, then hot seat talk will commence without fail.   

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

My Freeze prediction: South Carolina

That's a good call.

I think they went down a list of like 6 names before they finally had to beg Muschamp to come. Freeze, baggage and all, would probably be higher on their list. 

16 hours ago, DAG said:

It does when you are freaking liberty. come on man. And I am pretty sure Hugh Freeze beat Bama twice . There is a reason why NS wanted him. 

Hugh Freeze is a good coach. I like him. I like his offense. And he would probably be an improvement over Gus. But Auburn doesn’t seem to just want an 8-5 or 9-4 type of coach anymore. Whoever gets hired is going to have to come in a bring us to the Bama, Georgia, Clemson level or we as fans are going to be calling for a new coach in 5 years. I’m just not confident that Freeze is that guy. Hell I don’t know if that guy is even out there and available to us. But until we find that coach, we are going to be pissing and moaning as a fan base because our rivals are at that level.

Honestly, I'd kind of rather wait it out and see what Chad Morris can do with the offense and a full offseason to work with them. I think we've been seeing what he can bring to the table the last couple of games, and if Gus can become a CEO with great coordinators, I'm all for it.

However, if we were to bring in someone else, I kinda like Cristobal. I don't particularly like that he was under Saban at Bama, but it does mean he's got Saban in his coaching tree (along with Butch Davis, Larry Coker, and Greg Schiano), and I LOVE his background with the O-line, he's a great recruiter, and he knows the beaten paths in the southeast. 

But again, I think it's smart to give Gus another year with Morris as OC, and if they can't pull it together then, the buyout would be less, and everyone would know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Gus just can't get it done. (Plus, barring a collapse of catastrophic proportions, Gus isn't going anywhere, so the point is kinda moot anyway.)

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

until we find that coach, we are going to be pissing and moaning as a fan base because our rivals are at that level.

Correct. So we'd best start looking. 

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

However, if we were to bring in someone else, I kinda like Cristobal. I don't particularly like that he was under Saban at Bama, but it does mean he's got Saban in his coaching tree (along with Butch Davis, Larry Coker, and Greg Schiano), and I LOVE his background with the O-line, he's a great recruiter, and he knows the beaten paths in the southeast. 

Search over.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

everyone would know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Gus just can't get it done.

8 years and counting. I just can't comprehend the Charlie Brown line of thought.

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Hugh Freeze is a good coach. I like him. I like his offense. And he would probably be an improvement over Gus. But Auburn doesn’t seem to just want an 8-5 or 9-4 type of coach anymore. Whoever gets hired is going to have to come in a bring us to the Bama, Georgia, Clemson level or we as fans are going to be calling for a new coach in 5 years. I’m just not confident that Freeze is that guy. Hell I don’t know if that guy is even out there and available to us. But until we find that coach, we are going to be pissing and moaning as a fan base because our rivals are at that level.

And that’s okay to say , but to try to diminish is other accomplishments is not. I would rather you just say I don’t feel like he is that guy. 

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

8 years and counting. I just can't comprehend the Charlie Brown line of thought.

The only question remaining is if he can be a CEO and let go of the offense, which he seems to have done, at least to some extent, with Chad Morris. Considering how bad we looked offensively to start the season and how much we've improved, the argument that Morris needed a little time to install his offense remains valid. If Morris can't get the offense together to form a winner with a full season and then an offseason to install everything, then we know there's no formula that's going to work with Gus.

I understand that you're frustrated, but why would we allow Gus to sign a big name OC and then not give them the chance to make things work?

Just now, Rednilla said:

The only question remaining is if he can be a CEO and let go of the offense, which he seems to have done, at least to some extent, with Chad Morris. Considering how bad we looked offensively to start the season and how much we've improved, the argument that Morris needed a little time to install his offense remains valid. If Morris can't get the offense together to form a winner with a full season and then an offseason to install everything.

I understand that you're frustrated, but why would we allow Gus to sign a big name OC and then not give them the chance to make things work?

It looks like it has worked because we have played not so great teams. We need some context to these statements. Let’s see what happens when we play Bama and the aggies. Tennessee is once again overrated like I predicted earlier in the season. Arkansas seems to be underrated. Conference play just seems to be down in general. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It looks like it has worked because we have played not so great teams. We need some context to these statements. Let’s see what happens when we play Bama and the aggies. Tennessee is once again overrated like I predicted earlier in the season. Arkansas seems to be underrated. Conference play just seems to be down in general. 

Maybe. Or maybe Morris just needed time. But everyone is so fed up with Gus that we could win every game left, including somehow sneaking into the SECCG and the win there springboarding us to the Playoffs, and if we don't win it all, then those people are still going to want him gone...and probably will be upset if we do win it all because it means Gus will be staying. I know the odds of that kind of thing happening are astronomical, but it's not completely impossible.

Archived