Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

21 hours ago, Rednilla said:

...I'm okay with giving a coach time to do his job. Given your unyielding insistence that Gus be gone, you either don't care that Morris wasn't able to install his offense during the spring, or you are willfully ignoring the improvement that we've made. Yes, we're supposed to beat bad teams handily. We did that in our last game. No, that is not enough to cement Gus' place for the next decade, but unless it was an extreme outlier, it was enough to give him another year so he and Morris can work on making things work right.

There is ALWAYS an excuse for Gus and he ALWAYS has the extreme outlier to keep you guys hoping. And you're right, it does get tiresome. Don't worry though, I don't think they'll fire him this year even if we went scoreless in our last games. It's only year 8, he has 9 lives at least.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

There is ALWAYS an excuse for Gus and he ALWAYS has the extreme outlier to keep you guys hoping. And you're right, it does get tiresome. Don't worry though, I don't think they'll fire him this year even if we went scoreless in our last games. It's only year 8, he has 9 lives at least.

Not to mention that Pittman, a new coach, has won more SEC games at Arky than the last three years combined—and if they end up playing LSU, likely as many as the last four combined (against teams they were going to play this year anyway).

29 minutes ago, woodford said:

Come on man, this is just an internet message board. I think he dislikes CGM (like myself) because he loves Auburn and doesn't want to continue to see the football program fall into mediocrity. No one is attacking the players.

I’m looking at all of the recent posts in the last few months, not just this one.

1 minute ago, toddc said:

I’m looking at all of the recent posts in the last few months, not just this one.

Ignoring for a moment that you said "recent posts in the last few months"... why?

23 hours ago, DAG said:

No now you are just being ridiculous. The problem is people are sick of saying give him extra time when he hasn’t shown us anything. This is exactly what @cole256was talking about. He wins a few games against teams that are meaningless or not having quality years. LSU is not good this year. They loss to a very bad MSU team, the loss to a below average Missouri team and they got killed by us. We know how bad Miss state is. We need what offensive talent ole miss has but their defense is terrible. We need to see what this offense against credible opponents. Lucky we get to see them in the aggies and Bama.

It's AMAZING how people still celebrate weak wins and make trophies out of them. I'm from a town called Florence Alabama, I remember one summer we scrimmaged a small Christian school named mars Hill. We barely beat them as I hit a 3 that we were lucky to get as we shot and missed and the offensive rebound came to me. I cursed everybody on our team out once we got alone. What was next? We're going to lose to Brooks or Colbert county? Unacceptable.

Another story if anybody knows anything about Florence west side isn't a place you go. That's where I grew up at, it's right by University of North Alabama. Ever since I was in 8 th grade I would sneak inside the gym and play pick up. Once I was in 10th I would scrimmage with the basketball team. The coach Gary Elliott knew I was in high school but he'd let me play. We played a scrimmage and I literally destroyed a guy who was their 2nd team PG. Coach Elliott went crazy saying what kind of team are they if a kid that's 14 could run circles around them. Some wins you really have to evaluate

Oh and when we play miss st they have a linebacker named erroll Thompson that's one of the most athletic linebackers in the conference. Top3 in the sec (a guy who of course we didn't recruit but if we had we probably could've had him) if he gets to Bo anytime during this game.......night night. He's nasty and he's tough and he's athletic and he's smart. 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Maybe I am just a hard critic but my question would be, why in year 8 is it taking to like the sixth game of finding ourselves? It’s not like CCM runs a completely different offense that CGM. And I don’t want to hear about COVID because other teams seem to be handling it very well, even with personnel and coaching changes. But I guess I am too hard for asking that question. I bring forum trauma from asking the other side of questions instead of just accepting. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's AMAZING how people still celebrate weak wins and make trophies out of them. I'm from a town called Florence Alabama, I remember one summer we scrimmaged a small Christian school named mars Hill. We barely beat them as I hit a 3 that we were lucky to get as we shot and missed and the offensive rebound came to me. I cursed everybody on our team out once we got alone. What was next? We're going to lose to Brooks or Colbert county? Unacceptable.

Another story if anybody knows anything about Florence west side isn't a place you go. That's where I grew up at, it's right by University of North Alabama. Ever since I was in 8 th grade I would sneak inside the gym and play pick up. Once I was in 10th I would scrimmage with the basketball team. The coach Gary Elliott knew I was in high school but he'd let me play. We played a scrimmage and I literally destroyed a guy who was their 2nd team PG. Coach Elliott went crazy saying what kind of team are they if a kid that's 14 could run circles around them. Some wins you really have to evaluate

Cole, it's a bit of a different game now with Mars Hill. They recruit better than Auburn does at the present, and have been for the last few years. That's why none of the smaller schools outside of their region, and even most of the larger schools around this area will schedule them now. 

17 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Cole, it's a bit of a different game now with Mars Hill. They recruit better than Auburn does at the present, and have been for the last few years. That's why none of the smaller schools outside of their region, and even most of the larger schools around this area will schedule them now. 

They are awesome for a small school but there wasn't ever a time I would've let anybody from mars Hill beat me

Gus is going to get another year because of Covid-19 and the buyout clause. There is an old saying "Money Talks" - We have less money this year because of Covid and it is a big buyout. Maybe Morris and Bicknell will make a difference and we will have a great year next year. I said this earlier if he does have a great year next year he gets one more year but what ever we do no extension unless he has a string of good years (minimum 3 in a row). 

If he does not have a great year next year the buyout will be smaller and we should be able to find the money and thank Gus for his effort and what a clean program he has run but it is time for somebody else. Gus is a good man who is loved by his players and there is a lot to like about him but he just has not won enough.  

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Ignoring for a moment that you said "recent posts in the last few months"... why?

The last few months are recent.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Maybe I am just a hard critic but my question would be, why in year 8 is it taking to like the sixth game of finding ourselves? It’s not like CCM runs a completely different offense that CGM. And I don’t want to hear about COVID because other teams seem to be handling it very well, even with personnel and coaching changes. But I guess I am too hard for asking that question. I bring forum trauma from asking the other side of questions instead of just accepting. 

Maybe I had it all wrong, but I thought CCM was brought in to call plays and not install an entirely new offense?  I've always assumed Gus will run Gus's offense come hell or high water.  Or not?

14 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Maybe I had it all wrong, but I thought CCM was brought in to call plays and not install an entirely new offense?  I've always assumed Gus will run Gus's offense come hell or high water.  Or not?

That’s what I thought . I figured he would add some passing concepts but that is it , which is why I am confused about the hoopla that he needs a full season, to truly be judged. 

39 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

It certainly looks different enough to this newb uneducated just a fan in me where I can tell there is at least some new wrinkles and new concepts in the passing game. We are going 4 and 5 wide more than ever. Throwing over the middle more than we ever have. It's a start at least.

26 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

And pretty sure there was enough video on every skill position player except Tank and MAR for him to not take 5 games to figure out what everyone is good at. At this point we are good at beating a sub par team in LSU. If we eventually play and beat MSU and Tennessee but lose to UA and TAM then we will still only be a team that beat sub par teams.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

And pretty sure there was enough video on every skill position player except Tank and MAR for him to not take 5 games to figure out what everyone is good at. At this point we are good at beating a sub par team in LSU. If we eventually play and beat MSU and Tennessee but lose to UA and TAM then we will still only be a team that beat sub par teams.

Gus had all of last season to realize that bo is not a pocket passer that you can not just have him sit back there and throw 40 times a game. It only took 4 games for Chad to realize this. Ever since the USC lite loss he has called games completely different and realized Bo is a better runner than passer right now and the offense has flourished. 

The south carolina game was totally on him though. That pass heavy game plan was all Chad. We would of won if we didn't pass 47 times and had a more balanced attack that we annihilated ole miss and lsu with.

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Now who is being silly? If we go scoreless the rest of the season, we finish with a losing record. No AU coach has had a losing record in my lifetime without getting fired (or forced to resign, if you want to be technical) either during or after that season, and I rather doubt that trend would halt, COVID or not. That would amount to the monumental collapse which would get him fired.

Barring that, however, he's not going to be gone. Which is why I don't spend my time howling at the moon about how much better we should be doing. It hurt to see how horribly we played earlier in the season. I got kicked out of an Auburn Facebook group because I pointed out that despite looking better on offense, it was the second lowest scoring output against Ole Miss this season and their defense is complete trash. I've gotten frustrated with the predictability when Gus is in charge of the offense, too. I'm not blind to the issues.

But again, the offense IS looking better. Not just that it's moving the ball, but it's becoming less predictable, which is indicative of Morris actually being given the reins, which Gus had never done before in his coaching career. I can understand the hesitancy to accept that this might be positive momentum rather than a mere outmatching of opponents, but what if it really is what we were told it would be, and we have an innovator in charge of the offense again? What if Gus has finally accepted that he doesn't need to be involved in play selection, and we continue to see improvement? What if we beat Bama and A&M? Will that just be an outlier, or will you consider that maybe Morris HAS made a difference?

Look, I'm sorry that I'm the eternal optimist about Auburn. When I was writing freelance for the Montgomery Advertiser, I was laughed at (probably deservedly so, but still) for suggesting Auburn had the talent to put together a miracle and knock off Bama in 08. I was laughed at again for suggesting Auburn could take Bama in 09, and we damn near derailed their first NC with Saban.

At the end of the day, I believe in Auburn. I've seen far too many unlikely things happen to ever count my Tigers out.

Let’s say Gus does just enough to keep his job through the end of his contract...are we going to extend it, or just mutually part ways?  I’d assume doing “just enough” means a few big wins against uga and bama...is that enough to get him an extension?  Or does he need to bring home some hardware?

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Let’s say Gus does just enough to keep his job through the end of his contract...are we going to extend it, or just mutually part ways?  I’d assume doing “just enough” means a few big wins against uga and bama...is that enough to get him an extension?  Or does he need to bring home some hardware?

Honestly, I think next year is the critical season for Malzahn. With Gus seemingly putting all his chips on Bo, that gives him maybe 2 more seasons to make something happen before we would likely be rebuilding again with a new QB (even if I do have high hopes for Dematrius Davis). I don't think he gets more than that, because it's when his new OC will have had time to fully install his offense, as well as a veteran QB, a stud RB, a multitude of talented receivers, and everybody on the O-line coming back. And like I said, I really don't think Gus makes it to 2022 with Auburn unless he at least wins 10 games regular season (provided we're back to a full length season again next year). And if he only wins 10 games without winning the SEC, then I think he's right back in the same situation the next season.

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Honestly, I think next year is the critical season for Malzahn. With Gus seemingly putting all his chips on Bo, that gives him maybe 2 more seasons to make something happen before we would likely be rebuilding again with a new QB (even if I do have high hopes for Dematrius Davis). I don't think he gets more than that, because it's when his new OC will have had time to fully install his offense, as well as a veteran QB, a stud RB, a multitude of talented receivers, and everybody on the O-line coming back. And like I said, I really don't think Gus makes it to 2022 with Auburn unless he at least wins 10 games regular season (provided we're back to a full length season again next year). And if he only wins 10 games without winning the SEC, then I think he's right back in the same situation the next season.

Gus has a way with odd years. I think your last sentence is basically what happens. Until the contract gets low enough I see the same basic odd/even year sequence repeating. But at a certain point, yes, it will get low enough—and I can almost guarantee you it’s going to be an even year.

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Coaches don't typically coach on 1 year contracts. If he doesn't have or isn't working on an extension after 2022-3, then you know the decision.

Just letting the contract run out would be extremely bad for the program as far as recruiting goes. Our rivals would be hammering the lame duck, "who are you gonna play for" angle and it would set us back much further than we think we already are.

5 hours ago, AUDevil said:

it will be an extension or buyout - there is no middle ground.

13 minutes ago, Beaker said:

it will be an extension or buyout - there is no middle ground.

And with all of the angst, apathy, and animosity ($1 to alliteration) that Gus has created the last few years, I honestly don't see a path back for him.

I hope he, Chad, and Bicknell quickly turn things around and we go on a multi-year tear against our rivals and the rest of the SEC that erases any bad blood, but...

Archived