Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

4 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I think with Dabo Swinney and Sam Pittman they are proof that 1. you do not need a proven HC and 2 you do not need a proven coordinator.

Also I would be good with a coordinator from the Pros. I don’t think people realize but Gus makes as much maybe more than some pro coaches do. I think we could get a company guy that will run it like a business. Hire coaches that can do the job and have folks set up for every angle. That’s the big thing Nick does that Gus doesn’t. You need guys off the field plotting our game days. Having our flights, motels set right, no more bus rides. He has  folks that know which direction the wind blows in away stadiums. Know how their field is and what type grass they use. Find every advantage there is legally out their. Bring in ballet teachers if it helps our players. Set up leadership training with military folks. These are thing the pros do in a regular basis. The make sure they have every angle covered. This ain’t the 60s anymore it’s big boy football. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Also I would be good with a coordinator from the Pros. I don’t think people realize but Gus makes as much maybe more than some pro coaches do. I think we could get a company guy that will run it like a business. Hire coaches that can do the job and have folks set up for every angle. That’s the big thing Nick does that Gus doesn’t. You need guys off the field plotting our game days. Having our flights, motels set right, no more bus rides. He has  folks that know which direction the wind blows in away stadiums. Know how their field is and what type grass they use. Find every advantage there is legally out their. Bring in ballet teachers if it helps our players. Set up leadership training with military folks. These are thing the pros do in a regular basis. The make sure they have every angle covered. This ain’t the 60s anymore it’s big boy football. 

The only thing Bama does different than Auburn is hire former head coaches as analysts.    Saban hires former coaches and Gus likes to give High School coaches an opportunity at the college level.  

Auburn has the same administrative support that every other major college team.  

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

The only thing Bama does different than Auburn is hire former head coaches as analysts.    Saban hires former coaches and Gus likes to give High School coaches an opportunity at the college level.  

We might have the bodies but we don’t use them correctly . It’s not just looking at the football side of things like what we do. Nick has folks that figure everything that is involved in a game day to a tee. Especially away games. Like I said he uses every advantage he can come up with. Belichek is the same way, that’s where they gain ground on others .but you are correct about Nick also using coaches from HS or finding ones that need a hand back up after failing some place . He is not afraid of having smart folks around him, something that seems to bother Gus at times. 

Was listening to the Clemson home station last week and they were talking about how Dabo built the Clemson team by first focusing on the offensive and defensive lines.  

I just want a head coach who understands that.

16 hours ago, aubaseball said:

A lot of coaches look at it as an opportunity to work under Saban because he has a track record of getting people better jobs after paying their dues.  It’s the same as recruits knowing Saban wins championships and puts dudes in the NFL.

Obviously Gus doesn’t have that rep.  Gus has had a few ex coordinators/GAs that are now head coaches or coordinators at other schools.  Whether people believe that’s due to Gus or in-spite of Gus is a personal opinion.  Same goes with players.  Auburn has also placed just as many players in the NFL in the past 8 seasons as most major programs.  Once again people can give Gus credit or not.  

short answer is I don’t think Gus could get many ex head coaches to come be an analyst if he’d even be open to it.  He has enough trouble getting coordinators a lot of times.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Was listening to the Clemson home station last week and they were talking about how Dabo built the Clemson team by first focusing on the offensive and defensive lines.  

People focus way too much on offensive "skill" positions, especially QB (not that Gustav is very good with that, either).

I wasn't that hyped about Nix from the beginning, not because I doubted his abilities, but because I knew that the OL was shaping up to be a hot mess. And then too many people blame him when he's been put in such a crap situation, also forgetting that the same thing happened to every QB Gus has had after Nick (and even before that--KF too, but that went so much deeper).

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

People focus way too much on offensive "skill" positions, especially QB (not that Gustav is very good with that, either).

I wasn't that hyped about Nix from the beginning, not because I doubted his abilities, but because I knew that the OL was shaping up to be a hot mess. And then too many people blame him when he's been put in such a crap situation, also forgetting that the same thing happened to every QB Gus has had after Nick (and even before that--KF too, but that went so much deeper).

THIS is the issue I see ongoing and forthcoming: OL

Why is  Auburn's offensive linemen recruiting apparently sub-standard?

2 hours ago, CMRVHS said:

THIS is the issue I see ongoing and forthcoming: OL

Why is  Auburn's offensive linemen recruiting apparently sub-standard?

Better question...if we are unable to recruit the big time OL we need, then why can't we coach up less talented ones? 

You can't tell me that we couldn't find our own players like Driscoll or Council out there. Both were developed at the powerhouses of UMass and Akron, so why can't we find and develop those type? Hell, we're gonna sign them anyway in a year or two. Why do we need to live by the transfer OL?

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

Even as football changes with the offensive evolution and analytics, the basics still exist whether people want to admit it or not. The game is won and lost in the trenches. You can have a good QB, but if there is no line for him, he's doomed. That's football 101.

It is my personal belief that you cannot win a CFB NC without NFL talent on the DL. It's almost impossible with the offenses you face.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, tbone1430 said:

"We'll give him just one more year."

-The PTB (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020)

The worst part was the one year in between they gave him a ridiculous extension with the most absurd buyout in the history of sports contracts.  

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Even as football changes with the offensive evolution and analytics, the basics still exist whether people want to admit it or not. The game is won and lost in the trenches. You can have a good QB, but if there is no line for him, he's doomed. That's football 101.

It is my personal belief that you cannot win a CFB NC without NFL talent on the DL. It's almost impossible with the offenses you face.

So tired of people saying that 2010 was all Cam. No, morons, it was also because of our veteran hoss unit of an offensive line. If Gus hadn’t neglected the OL all these years, we would have beaten USCe, we would have actually put up a fight against the Mutts, and people wouldn’t be talking about those calls against Ark and Miss.

40 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So tired of people saying that 2010 was all Cam. No, morons, it was also because of our veteran hoss unit of an offensive line. If Gus hadn’t neglected the OL all these years, we would have beaten USCe, we would have actually put up a fight against the Mutts, and people wouldn’t be talking about those calls against Ark and Miss.

I've been saying that for years. That OL had two All-Americans on it. 2010 was one of those years when it all truly came together in those rare instances (see LSU in 2019). 

35 minutes ago, woodford said:

I've been saying that for years. That OL had two All-Americans on it. 2010 was one of those years when it all truly came together in those rare instances (see LSU in 2019). 

I was mainly saying that in response to a thread on TigerDroppings where someone argued that 2020 LSU wasn’t the same as 2011 Auburn because they lost so much to the NFL and all we had was Cam Newton. It was a good thing I had no food or drink in my mouth at the time because I would’ve done a spit take. NFL isn’t the only metric for how good your team was. The #1 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft was from Central Michigan, for God’s sake.

4 hours ago, woodford said:

You can have a good QB, but if there is no line for him, he's doomed

Just ask Stidham...

Am I the only person on this forum who thinks the o line has not performed nearly as bad as people make it out? I think the o line has been pretty serviceable with the exception against UGA. 

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Eric Smith played a huge role in that team too

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Am I the only person on this forum who thinks the o line has not performed nearly as bad as people make it out? I think the o line has been pretty serviceable with the exception against UGA. 

Not the only one. They have steadily improved over the season. Hopefully they all decide to return next season. If so, they will have the chance to be pretty good

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not the only one. They have steadily improved over the season. Hopefully they all decide to return next season. If so, they will have the chance to be pretty good

To me the bigger issue is inconsistent scheming and execution. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

To me the bigger issue is inconsistent scheming and execution. 

The schemes seem to be coming around, but the execution is pretty bad.  If Chad had an entire off-season, I think the schemes would be dialed in.

Just now, bigbird said:

The schemes seem to be coming around, but the execution is pretty bad.  If Chad had an entire off-season, I think the schemes would be dialed in.

I guess for me, I wish the coaches will learn much sooner how to utilize the players. But I think my rationale from Chad perspective was maybe thinking the players could handle a lot more than what was expected. If you look back at Arkansas, he played it a lot more slower because he just did not haver the players to execute. He was like in his second year and his offense wasn't closed to fully being implemented. But then this goes back to truly knowing your players which seems to be a unique skill set, the elite coaches know very well .I will say execution is the biggest issue. It was glaring in the USCe game, which people like to put on the coaching staff. 

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

so does gus get a pass just because of that since he did not get a fair shot? i am not talking gus either way but i just wonder what coach morris could do with with a real spring etc. am i far off or does it matter? i never coached but i did stay in a holiday inn once. i still know squat about coaching but i slept good..........lol

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

so does gus get a pass just because of that since he did not get a fair shot? i am not talking gus either way but i just wonder what coach morris could do with with a real spring etc. am i far off or does it matter? i never coached but i did stay in a holiday inn once. i still know squat about coaching but i slept good..........lol

IMO, I think what hurt more was not having those tune up games we normally have. I could be wrong but I look at a school like Arkansas with a new coach, new impact players and their offense is much better than last years. I will say if you look at Bo Nix numbers, from an accuracy stand point, he has gotten a lot better. Next year should be very telling. Legit next year, if we don't win the SEC, There is no reason to keep Gus around and everyone should be on board with that.

i know folks have their dream coaches but if they replace gus i want super mario. i think he is the complete package and is building a dynasty out west. and i read a while back he hopes to coach in the sec sometime unless he has changed his mind.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i know folks have their dream coaches but if they replace gus i want super mario. i think he is the complete package and is building a dynasty out west. and i read a while back he hopes to coach in the sec sometime unless he has changed his mind.

My man. I will put $50 towards Gustav’s buyout and $50 towards Cristobal’s contract if this happens. I really think he could make something special here. 

8243EC2E-CFA4-47C2-8F30-3A77C785DBC4.gif

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree. There is some young potential on this OL.  
Is there any strong possibility of any of them leaving?  There’s no seniors and I don’t see the NFL knocking down any doors to scoop any of our guys up.  Just curious...

Archived