Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The obvious choice is Rhett Lashlee right? (Joke, kind of)

Beat me to it.

He's the first call in 2 years after we've missed on the other guys for waiting too long.

25 minutes ago, metafour said:

Right, but were those players going in the first round before they landed in his offensive system? Joe Burrow was like a 4th string transfer from Ohio State (predicted by absolutely no one to be a 1st overall pick at QB) and the RB was a 3-star recruit. The point is that he took those players and put them into a highly sophisticated system that utilized everything on the roster to its maximum...thats why he GOT an NFL OC job after just one season. Guys like that don't just get NFL OC jobs for no reason, especially that quickly. He's already doing things now in Carolina that has people already talking about him as an NFL HC candidate as early as next season. You're right that he's obviously really young and its hard to know if he could handle the non-coaching side of college football, but I don't think there's anything "overrated" about what he's accomplished to date. The problem here  is that he looks like a guy who's already in ascension to an NFL HC job; I don't think there's any reason for him to come back to the NCAA level. Like I said there's already talk about that happening as early as next year, which I think is really pushing it and probably won't happen, but there has been a huge trend in the NFL to push these super-young HC's who look like stars, and a declining trend in recycling old coaches who have failed/been fired multiple times. The NFL, like baseball already has, is moving towards a more forward thinking model.

I don't think there's anything "overrated" about Brady. There's a whole slew of OC's in college football (who light the NCAA up) who would never get a single call from the NFL because the NFL knows that they are gimmick/"College" offense guys. Joe Brady is an NFL offense guy.

Actually guys like that GET an NFL OC position all the time. The NFL doesn't have a minor league. They have to gambles on inexperienced guys all the time. In college, it's rare for an SEC HC hire to have no HC experience prior. In the NFL though, it has to happen, because they don't have non power 5 coaches to poach off of.

I don't follow the Panthers. I know they're 2-2. So we'll see how Brady continues to work.

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Beat me to it.

He's the first call in 2 years after we've missed on the other guys for waiting too long.

I mean if Miami beats Clemson then what?  

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But they spend so much money on everything else. Maybe it works out as a write-off for Nike to supply equipment and facilities, but they can't pay salaries the same way? 

But Cristobal is making 2.6 million up there while having to work his ass off to get any talent to Eugene. He'd have to work hard here, too, obviously, but we are capable of so much more in recruiting. We'd have to pay the man but I don't think we'd have to shoot the moon and I think we could get him for a lot less than $7 million per. 

To put into perspective of how underpaid Cristobal is, Muschamp is set to make 4.4 million this year. I've been a fan of Cristobal since 2018, when Gus was really struggling mid season.

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The obvious choice is Rhett Lashlee right? (Joke, kind of)

You know, even though it's a joke, this would be very JABA. I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Muschamp or Lashlee, mostly because of Auburn ties.

20 minutes ago, metafour said:

By the way; past the Cristobal/Brady level of potential candidates, there is also Billy Napier who is currently killing it as the HC at Louisiana in his third season there. They beat the piss out of #23 Iowa State in the opening week of the season. Napier has extensive time under both Dabo at Clemson and Saban at Bama. He is from the south, is an elite recruiter, and is young. This is one of those guys who will get a call from schools like South Carolina as early as next season. Super high upside candidate.

Ya this guy would be my second choice after Cristobal.

10 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

Actually guys like that GET an NFL OC position all the time.

30 year olds with ONE season of any play calling experience get OC jobs in the NFL all the time? I don't think so, man...

There are a dozen+ guys in the NCAA right now who have a much longer record of offensive output than Brady did who won't ever get a call from the NFL to take an OC job.

Getting an OC position with an NFL team as a 30 year old, with only one season of playcalling experience anywhere, is not a common promotion practice. He's being positioned in that Sean McVay category of guys who are going to get a HC gig in the NFL while extremely young with only ~2 years of OC experience.

53 minutes ago, metafour said:

By the way; past the Cristobal/Brady level of potential candidates, there is also Billy Napier who is currently killing it as the HC at Louisiana in his third season there. They beat the piss out of #23 Iowa State in the opening week of the season. Napier has extensive time under both Dabo at Clemson and Saban at Bama. He is from the south, is an elite recruiter, and is young. This is one of those guys who will get a call from schools like South Carolina as early as next season. Super high upside candidate.

I like Napier. He might be my #2 pick after some research this morning. In a perfect world, Auburn would pick him up after he's been at an ACC or AAC gig for a couple of years. He's doing great things, but again I'm a tad hesitant on the rock star fun belt coaches (we currently have one of those).

Regardless, someone will be paying him the big bucks soon.

1 hour ago, Howard Roark said:

I think Cristobal best fits your description.  I don't know if you can get him away from Nik... I mean Oregon. 

Do we know Cristobal's offensive schemes and what type of offense he runs? I am too lazy to look it up. lol.

Our luck is he's our #1 guy, if the decision is made to let Gus go, and he simply uses us as a leverage to get him the contract he really wants at Oregon, b/c he knows he is in a conference he can dominate, if he wants to. 

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Do we know Cristobal's offensive schemes and what type of offense he runs? I am too lazy to look it up. lol.

Our luck is he's our #1 guy, if the decision is made to let Gus go, and he simply uses us as a leverage to get him the contract he really wants at Oregon, b/c he knows he is in a conference he can dominate, if he wants to. 

Joe Moorhead is his current OC. I don't know that he's got an easily labeled "system", but he's not a spread or read-option guy, I don't think. Their current QB was listed as a "pro-style" as a recruit. Marus Arroyo was the OC against us. He was also more "pro-style", I think, than what Gus and Chad run. Cristobal in general, I think, is a bit of an old school guy who wants a huge OL and a lot of run/play action stuff. Further to that, you can count on Cristobal not just recruiting huge OLs, but huge OLs that are ranked highly by the recruiting services. 

I believe Cristobal has a very good network in the southeast.

As for the contract he really wants at Oregon, it seems pretty widely accepted that he wants to come back to the SEC to coach big time talent and play big boy ball. He's been recruiting at a very high level up there, which is a lot harder to do there than it is here. But who knows. After a couple top 10 classes, he might not be in such a hurry to leave.

21 hours ago, DAG said:

I am not going to get into specifics but what I will say is the obvious is proven winners , which will cost a good nickel. The next is unproven Non power 5 coaches or assistant coaches which should not come at a high price. I think these coaches can do just about the same as Gus. My issue is paying a coach top tier money and he is average .

Fantasy: Urban Meyer , Bob Stoops, P.J. Fleck. 

Unproven non power 5 coaches: Josh Heupel, Bill Clark

Current  power 5 Coaches that would be a total Auburn move: Mario Cristobel, James Franklin.

The Dabo Fantasy: Joe Brady

Total Auburn Left field pick: Bill O Brien.  Mark Richt lol

I think Kirby and Saban would use PJ Fleck as a push and pull.  What we want in a coach is the personality that we want on our team.  We need a hard nosed sob as a coach right now.  Wanna know why UT is coming out of the gutter faster than expected?  Their coach, like him or not, isn't a nice guy.  Players want to play for a coach that has energy and some aggression.  A coach that inspires kids and gets the best out of them.  Our coach listens to 80's music, lives on a lake but does not fish, and could not get folks excited enough to tear their way out of a wet paper sack with a chainsaw.

I think Fleck would get eaten alive in the SEC.  I think he is too nice of a guy but a name to watch might be Dan Quinn who will for sure be fired this year.

12 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

and could not get folks excited enough to tear their way out of a wet paper sack with a chainsaw.

Fact. I'd rather just kinda lackadaisically rub my finger on it and mumble "What's the point". 

Chainsaws are for winners. 

22 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think Fleck would get eaten alive in the SEC.  I think he is too nice of a guy but a name to watch might be Dan Quinn who will for sure be fired this year.

Please no DQ! It's been proven he's clueless and keeps hiring coaches he's familiar with. (sound familiar) 

Supposed to be a defensive guru, but falcons D is about dead last in every category. To me it's obvious his defensive success at Seattle was the result of having multiple future hall of famers on his roster. 

And gus doesn't fish?! Where's his dock I'm gonna go fish it next weekend 

3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Please no DQ! It's been proven he's clueless and keeps hiring coaches he's familiar with. (sound familiar) 

Supposed to be a defensive guru, but falcons D is about dead last in every category. To me it's obvious his defensive success at Seattle was the result of having multiple future hall of famers on his roster. 

And gus doesn't fish?! Where's his dock I'm gonna go fish it next weekend 

Agree on DQ.  He is so gone it isn't funny.  Thomas D. is gone as well.

I was watching something on Gus from his house and they asked him about fishing and he said he does not fish.  I guess it is hard to hold the rod and and still be able to reel it in with your finger in your nose LOL!

9 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I was watching something on Gus from his house and they asked him about fishing and he said he does not fish.

This alone should be justification to fire with cause. Keeping Gus ever since 2017 has just felt like giving up

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

You liked the way Arky performed over the past two years?

I blame that on Beilima doing a trash job on recruiting and recruiting for a doubly tight end downhill running attack.  Morris neither had ther personnel nor talent to be successful.  Morris did have two top 20 recruiting classes that the new coach is able to take advantage of.  The only thing I blame Morris for is being foolish enough to think Arky was going to give him the time to rebuild.  He was Gus and no one ever bought in.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Cristobal

Heupel

Brandon Streeter

Yurcich

Klieman

Jeff Scott

Kevin Wilson

Aranda 

**Vennables**

Alex Grinch

Shane Beamer (up and commer)

👆👆👆

48 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think Kirby and Saban would use PJ Fleck as a push and pull.  What we want in a coach is the personality that we want on our team.  We need a hard nosed sob as a coach right now.  Wanna know why UT is coming out of the gutter faster than expected?  Their coach, like him or not, isn't a nice guy.  Players want to play for a coach that has energy and some aggression.  A coach that inspires kids and gets the best out of them.  Our coach listens to 80's music, lives on a lake but does not fish, and could not get folks excited enough to tear their way out of a wet paper sack with a chainsaw.

Respectfully disagree on PJ Fleck.  Did you see the bowl game?  Those guys seemed pretty motivated to me... and they beat us despite our significant talent advantage all over the field.  The guy is a winner, and has shown that he can win in tough situations.  If he comes here, with the level of talent we have presently (to get him started) and assistants I imagine will stay, I think the recruiting concerns will work themselves out.

My top tier would be PJ Fleck, Billy Napier, and Joe Brady.  I would be incredibly excited to land any of them.

Cristobal is talented, but he couldn't be Gus with Justin Herbet at QB.  No reason to think he would be better at Auburn than at Oregon.  Still probably an upgrade over our current coach, and I'd be very happy with the hire.  I'd put Aranda in the same boat.  

Why do people keep bringing up Bill Clark?  He went 9-5 last season at UAB including a 2-37 loss to Southern Miss.  Not the guy for this job.  

Ahh the annual “who replaces Gus” thread. Came a little early this year. 

Cristobal

Fleck

Matt Campbell 

Aranda

But, I can’t stress this enough. None of these are happening and Gus is here through 2021. So it’s a waste of our hope.

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Cristobal

Fleck

Matt Campbell 

Aranda

But, I can’t stress this enough. None of these are happening and Gus is here through 2021. So it’s a waste of our hope.

I agree for the most part, but if he finishes by losing to LSU, UT, UA and T A&M it might happen.  

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Cristobal

Fleck

Matt Campbell 

Aranda

What's worse, lighting a pile of money on fire in the craziest year since World War II to get him gone and let a new staff get to work... or save millions to fire him next year when everyone on Earth knows he's a lame duck?

There's no good option here. I guess the best thing is for him to win enough games so a mob doesn't show up at his house and the recruiting class doesn't collapse. 

43 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

What's worse, lighting a pile of money on fire in the craziest year since World War II to get him gone and let a new staff get to work... or save millions to fire him next year when everyone on Earth knows he's a lame duck?

There's no good option here. I guess the best thing is for him to win enough games so a mob doesn't show up at his house and the recruiting class doesn't collapse. 

The recruiting class wouldn't suffer with the right hire...

Archived