Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, woodford said:

Fickell is growing on me. I would like that hire. Only problem is the second the tOSU job becomes available he would leave for it imo 

Well he is going to be waiting a long ass time. Ryan Day is the truth. 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Exactly! You are def right. You can tell the people on the forum who are looking to make any kind of excuse just to rationalize keeping their guy Gus. IDK what it is about a SUBPAR,  monotone, goofy, nerdy high school coach that makes a section of our fan base keep dying over and over again repeatedly on the WE JUST GOT TO GIVE HIM ONE MORE YEAR HILL. He is the most divisive and polarizing coach we have had in a long time. He is toxic. Look at us. This has been a constant among AU fans with all the in fighting. It has completely divided the fan base. He has got to go. We need someone like BRUCE to unify the fanbase. All Gus does is keep dividing us.

Do you actually know a lot of fans that support him? I don't know one that isn't ready to see him get the pink slip. It seems like hatred for Gus is the one thing Auburn fans can all agree on.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

BIG DEAL!!!

Seriously, how some of you evaluate coaches is insane.

This guy is a motivator, recruiter and has developed players.   He would be a fund raising dream.  Met the man in October and after ten minutes I was willing to smash through walls for him.   With Auburn’s resources he could be the guy that next levels us. He is a program builder and that is what we need.  Who the hell expects to consistently be great at F@in Minnesota, I mean seriously, that is a tough as hell job.

Exactly. Look what he has done with 2 and3* talent at Minnesota. By coming to AU he will upgrade to 4 and 5" talent here. I think he can definitely move us ahead of where Gus has us.

31 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I still believe Mario Cristobal should be Auburn's new head coach.

Agree ,knows Southern recruiting and will bring in top recruits and has the professional personality that AU needs to compete for championships.

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Fickell is growing on me. I would like that hire. Only problem is the second the tOSU job becomes available he would leave for it imo 

Nah, he wouldn't leave Auburn for OSU.

Just like Dabo won't leave Clemson for Bama. 

Ryan Day will be at Ohio State for at least another 5 years the way he's coaching. Barring a scandal. 

17 hours ago, AUwent said:

Puh-leeze. That was JJ's call, pure and simple. The "search committee" was purely cover. But if it was Bo's decision, did he have amnesia? He PLAYED for a guy with a track record exactly like Kirby's!

The search committee consisted of Pat Sullivan, Bo Jackson, and former AU letterman and millionaire corporate head-hunter Mac Crawford. These guys couldn't have been bought and wouldn't have served as anybody's yes man. The committee was legit.

I like Crystobal and he’s second on my list to Sark, but I just don’t get why someone who doesn’t have ties to Auburn would leave Oregon where he has the facilities, Nike machine, and very little competition to come here and deal with all of us during an era where Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Texas AM are on the money with everything they do recruiting. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The search committee consisted of Pat Sullivan, Bo Jackson, and former AU letterman and millionaire corporate head-hunter Mac Crawford. These guys couldn't have been bought and wouldn't have served as anybody's yes man. The committee was legit.

Mikey thinks that our head coach was chosen by a former player who's been out of football and completely out of the "scene" for decades now, LMAO. Bo spends more time tinkering with his hunting equipment than he does watching any level of football - the fact that anyone thinks he was out here spearheading a coaching search is mindblowing. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Mikey thinks that our head coach was chosen by a former player who's been out of football and completely out of the "scene" for decades now, LMAO. Bo spends more time tinkering with his hunting equipment than he does watching any level of football - the fact that anyone thinks he was out here spearheading a coaching search is mindblowing. 

Bo's daughters literally said this on Twitter. If you believe the committee stuff it's because that's literally what you want to believe in your heart...people know what really went down, it's not even a big secret

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

BIG DEAL!!!

Seriously, how some of you evaluate coaches is insane.

This guy is a motivator, recruiter and has developed players.   He would be a fund raising dream.  Met the man in October and after ten minutes I was willing to smash through walls for him.   With Auburn’s resources he could be the guy that next levels us. He is a program builder and that is what we need.  Who the hell expects to consistently be great at F@in Minnesota, I mean seriously, that is a tough as hell job.

Yep... such a great recruiter...

08B77BA7-B75B-4934-A482-2B6D75C469D8.png

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Yep... such a great recruiter...

08B77BA7-B75B-4934-A482-2B6D75C469D8.png

Such a weak argument.....isn't that pretty good for Minnesota? Where was Gus recruiting ranked at Toledo or wherever? 

More Context

PER 247:

2016 Minnesota recruiting ranking: 46

2017 (Fleck): 59

2018: 38

2019: 45

2020: 25

The last time they had a top 25 class was 2008. Since 2000, the only time they had a top 40 class was 2008, 2009 and 2018. 

Also some other tidbits since I clearly have no life at the moment:

Gene Chizik at Iowa State: 2007 - 54 ; 2008 - 59

Gene Chizik at Auburn: 2009 (23), 2010 (6), 2011 (5), 2012 (11)

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Currently in the top 25 right now. We are #21

It’s too early to compare this year’s class. A lot of insiders are claiming we have numerous great prospects coming that just haven’t publicly announced yet to the point that this actually could end as one of Gus’s strongest classes. Even if their thoughts end up being incorrect, this year is kind of a wash anyway since almost nobody is going to leave this year. 

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

It’s too early to compare this year’s class. A lot of insiders are claiming we have numerous great prospects coming that just haven’t publicly announced yet to the point that this actually could end as one of Gus’s strongest classes. Even if their thoughts end up being incorrect, this year is kind of a wash anyway since almost nobody is going to leave this year. 

Huh? Why is it too early to compare what is currently going on ? We can compare current events and absolutely compare at the very end as well. I just wanted to the conversation to be fair because I saw you posted last year end results from Minnesota. Yet this year even with COVID and the losses they are doing better. And why would it be a wash all of a sudden? 

As some have said, I don't see why Cristobal would leave Oregon other than just wanting to be in the SEC. I'd prefer beating up on patsies and having the easiest path to the CFP, but I'm not him.

From some of the info I've seen, it appears that Auburn University recruits itself, so a guy recruiting a 50ish class elsewhere isn't a big deal, because they can come here and jump into the top 25 consistently. 

With that being said, I'd like to go with someone like Bill Clark or Fleck. I know it's not popular at all, but I'd love to have Freeze too, but it won't happen. He's a great offensive play-caller and gets results with above average QB's. 

The guy at Cincinnati is interesting too. I think he's got guys and could recruit well.

At this point though, I'd take just about anyone with a pulse. We will probably hire Rhett Lashley in the most Auburn fashion and the misery will never end. 

People arguing to keep Gus seriously make me feel like I'm being gas lit.

Is there something in the water? What type of delusional pills do you have to take to defend him through all of this? They're the most head scratching group of people I've ever met.

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

As some have said, I don't see why Cristobal would leave Oregon other than just wanting to be in the SEC. I'd prefer beating up on patsies and having the easiest path to the CFP, but I'm not him.

That’s the difference in you and me and the guys that are competing and coaching at the highest levels. They want to compete against the best so they can prove that THEY are the best. Those are the kinds of guys I want coaching at AU. I’ve never been convinced that Gus has the make up to be one of those guys, mainly because he seems unable to subsume his ego to help the program to become better. It’s a fine line- have enough ego to think that you are or can be the best but be able to check it to allow for growth an improvement. One without the other= stasis and mediocrity.

1 minute ago, fredst said:

That’s the difference in you and me and the guys that are competing and coaching at the highest levels. They want to compete against the best so they can prove that THEY are the best. Those are the kinds of guys I want coaching at AU. I’ve never been convinced that Gus has the make up to be one of those guys, mainly because he seems unable to subsume his ego to help the program to become better. It’s a fine line- have enough ego to think that you are or can be the best but be able to check it to allow for growth an improvement. One without the other= stasis and mediocrity.

Need an alpha and Gus ain't it. He'd rather just be liked by his players and do what he's comfortable with. Hope he leaves one day and goes to a Group of 5 team to kick some ass and enjoy 20+ years somewhere they'll build a statue for him. 

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Need an alpha and Gus ain't it. He'd rather just be liked by his players and do what he's comfortable with. Hope he leaves one day and goes to a Group of 5 team to kick some ass and enjoy 20+ years somewhere they'll build a statue for him. 

Still waiting for him to pull a publicity stunt of political correctness as the coup-de-grace although seeing Mason get canned might at least prevent that

Archived