Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

The definition of outkicking your coverage. Gotta respect that...lol. Sign him up.

Like @GwillMac6 says, the name of the game is recruiting, and this man can obviously recruit, lol.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

This is so damn stupid. How can somebody that supports Gus point to a single loss??? We just lost to South c and tenn in back to back seasons...

This fanbase has been lulled into a state of shock. Have you noticed that the same people who want to nitpick the resume of every potential name that comes up as a replacement are the same people who will come on here and downplay the fact that our own coach loses ~4 games a year, with almost every loss to a good team team (ie: our rivals) being a blowout? These guys expect a coach at Ole Miss to win a national title before they're deemed ready to step onto the sideline here - but then you'll press them about the fact that BAD teams are beating us or going down to the wire with us, and its always something ("yeah well Gus isn't out there dropping the ball or throwing interceptions"). At the same time no one is good enough or proven enough to coach here, but yet we're supposed to be "terrified" about the implications of letting go our own horrifically mediocre head coach.

Remember when Florida hired Dan Mullen and the response was "wow that proves we can't fire Gus - look at how Florida just had to settle for a guy who hasn't done anything at MSU". Most of these people have no idea what context means.

Before he came here, Gus Malzahn had one season as a HC - he took a prebuilt Arkansas State roster that Hugh Freeze won 10-games with the year prior, and he won 9-games (for those not good at numbers - 9 is less than 10). He also lost to 7-6 Western Kentucky that year - a team coached by Willie Taggart, so think about that before you decide to nitpick about how 'X' coach lost 'Y' game. What is funny is that I could bring up Billy Napier's name right now, and I'd bet I'd have 10 people telling me that he's not proven or qualified enough. The same people who had no problem hiring Gus Malzahn after ONE season at Arky State.

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

This fanbase has been lulled into a state of shock. Have you noticed that the same people who want to nitpick the resume of every potential name that comes up as a replacement are the same people who will come on here and downplay the fact that our own coach loses ~4 games a year, with almost every loss to a good team team (ie: our rivals) being a blowout? These guys expect a coach at Ole Miss to win a national title before they're deemed ready to step onto the sideline here - but then you'll press them about the fact that BAD teams are beating us or going down to the wire with us, and its always something ("yeah well Gus isn't out there dropping the ball or throwing interceptions"). At the same time no one is good enough or proven enough to coach here, but yet we're supposed to be "terrified" about the implications of letting go our own horrifically mediocre head coach.

Remember when Florida hired Dan Mullen and the response was "wow that proves we can't fire Gus - look at how Florida just had to settle for a guy who hasn't done anything at MSU". Most of these people have no idea what context means.

Before he came here, Gus Malzahn had one season as a HC - he took a prebuilt Arkansas State roster that Hugh Freeze won 10-games with the year prior, and he won 9-games (for those not good at numbers - 9 is less than 10). He also lost to 7-6 Western Kentucky that year - a team coached by Willie Taggart, so think about that before you decide to nitpick about how 'X' coach lost 'Y' game. What is funny is that I could bring up Billy Napier's name right now, and I'd bet I'd have 10 people telling me that he's not proven or qualified enough. The same people who had no problem hiring Gus Malzahn after ONE season at Arky State.

Amen,  there have been about 10 coaches named that I would love to see on the sidelines.  A whole bunch more I wouldn’t mind seeing on the sidelines.

the one thing I do know is I have seen enough of Gus to not want to see him on our sidelines again.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Losses happen...to everyone. His recruiting and program building abilities were developed from the best and he's following it with comparable results.  To pretend Cristobal isn't a strong coach, dynamic leader, and building an elite program is narrow-minded. He is an substantial upgrade in every possible way to what we're having to suffer through.

Exactly. Saban lost to Louisiana Monroe his first year at bama for goodness sakes. Upsets happen. Cristobal is BUILDING a solid program at Oregon. He would be a huge upgrade to what we have.

3 hours ago, rophle said:

No, that was the look when Oregon St crossed the goal line to beat them as a huge underdog. 

Oregon State was a 13 point underdog, that’s not a “huge underdog”. It was at State’s home stadium and we know better than anyone else that crazy things can happen in a rivalry game, especially in the home team’s stadium. Do you know who else was a 13 point favorite and lost to their rival in their rival’s stadium? Saban last year against us.

26 minutes ago, metafour said:

Can I nominate this for post of the year? Perfectly said, @metafour

48 minutes ago, metafour said:

I'm outta likes, so...

nLrMVuy.gif

27 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Cristobal is BUILDING a solid program at Oregon.

Yup. Gus won the SEC in his first year. Hasn't won it since. Cristobal won the Pac 12 in his third year, and the way he's recruiting, it won't be his last if he stays there. 

Wait, people thought Mullen didn't accomplish anything at MSU? Y'all are a damn trip, man. 

PS- Kenny Rogers is the only reason Gene Chizik has a national championship and Dan Mullen doesn't. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wait, people thought Mullen didn't accomplish anything at MSU? Y'all are a damn trip, man. 

You won't even believe who one of the examples is from LMAO:

mullen.jpg

Our resident expert on disqualifying coaching candidates and warning us of the "horrors" of letting Gus go.

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

mullen.jpg

Our resident expert on disqualifying coaching candidates and warning us of the "horrors" of letting Gus go.

Oh. Those people. 

We really should have a thread dedicated to all the hilarious stuff those people say. Did you hear that Armoni Goodwin got scared off because he didn't want to compete with Richards? I got a good chuckle out of that. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh. Those people. 

We really should have a thread dedicated to all the hilarious stuff those people say. Did you hear that Armoni Goodwin got scared off because he didn't want to compete with Richards? I got a good chuckle out of that. 

"We have depth"

"Bill Taylor is an offensive lineman'

"Gus is 3-5 against Saban, what other coach, that we could get, could do better"

"We don't want to show our entire playbook against Jacksonville St"

"Golf is my favorite Mod"

And the point isn't to rag on Mikey because everyone makes bad predictions (even me), the point is that there is a pattern in this fanbase of expecting perfection when analyzing others, but excusing mediocrity out of our own coaches or players. You see this constantly. Mac Jones is nothing special and is only good because of X, Y, and Z...whereas Bo Nix is really really good. The fact that there are people that actually couldn't even appreciate what Mullen did at MSU is shocking. 8-9-10 win seasons with a pretty consistent ~7+ wins a year over a long sample size at a school that can't compete with anyone in this conference normally. Thats what gets a "nothing to brag about" comment, but then he'll turn around and make it sound like we're lucky to have Gus Malzahn here to post 8-5 seasons. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

"We have depth"

"Bill Taylor is an offensive lineman'

"Gus is 3-5 against Saban, what other coach, that we could get, could do better"

"We don't want to show our entire playbook against Jacksonville St"

"Golf is my favorite Mod"

70203A47-1C3D-46C1-9486-F959C0B5953C.gif

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not only that, but that he wasn't a great developer of talent at the QB position. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Not only that, but that he wasn't a great developer of talent at the QB position. 

Yeesh. Same folks who credit Gus for Cam Newton's development, I wonder? Never mind. 

By the way, I think Kyle Trask just accidentally threw his 35th touchdown on his way to the Smoothie King. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

mullen.jpg

And guess who finished at the bottom of the West that next year?

I think that I would like to be the folks that gives Sarkesian another chance, with all kinds of contractual safeguards of course. The guy can damn sure come up with a serious offensive game plan. Hell, Dye had problems with the stuff,too. Majors,Vaught did as well

One thing that amazes me too about this whole situation. Tubs went 17-13 vs the big 3 during his time here in 2 extra seasons. Even if Gustav did a perfect sweep the next 2 seasons he’d still have a worse record and be 14-17. We fired Tubs for much less. And Tubs had us in the top 15 half of his seasons here and won the west 4 times. Be 9-3 or better and win the west every other year. And don’t give me the line “well Alabama and Georgia weren’t as good back then”. He went toe to toe with Saban at LSU for 5 years and went against Richt who was extremely good in the first half of his tenure at thUGA. He also had to go up against Urban at Florida. There are always gonna be good coaches in the SEC. The question is will we grow a sack and go get one or be content with captain beta boy. 

Its time. Harbert needs to fix his damned mistake and that cabbage-headed former prez that aided and abetted ought to be hunted down and made pay up,too

2 hours ago, metafour said:

I'm baffled by some of these guys and the logic they use. But what's even more scary I really feel that somebody in power for us uses the same logic. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeesh. Same folks who credit Gus for Cam Newton's development, I wonder? Never mind. 

By the way, I think Kyle Trask just accidentally threw his 35th touchdown on his way to the Smoothie King. 

Somebody argued with me that Bo was better than trask the beginning of this season....

All I know is Mullen had Miss State #1 in the nation at one point. That is all I needed to see to understand what type of coach he would be with resources 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Somebody argued with me that Bo was better than trask the beginning of this season....

To be fair, you gotta wonder what Bo would be doing in that offense. Probably not 34 TDs to 3 picks but who knows. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

All I know is Mullen had Miss State #1 in the nation at one point. That is all I needed to see to understand what type of coach he would be with resources 

1000%

Also, Dak Prescott is the very definition of a developed quarterback. Came in as a 3*. 

image.png

Archived