Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ahh the annual “who replaces Gus” thread. Came a little early this year. 

Cristobal

Fleck

Matt Campbell 

Aranda

But, I can’t stress this enough. None of these are happening and Gus is here through 2021. So it’s a waste of our hope.

Only way he gets fired this season is if we have a 2012 type collapse, and I don’t see that happening. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone who can recruit good players, someone who can put them in in a good system, and knows how to develop players for the NFL. Basically someone who knows what the heck they are doing. 

2 minutes ago, rophle said:

Only way he gets fired this season is if we have a 2012 type collapse, and I don’t see that happening. 

I do. I don’t see many games on our schedule we are going to be able to win, if both lines are getting bullied all year. The easiest game we have left is probably this week and I’m 50/50 on if we are physical enough to beat Arky, personally. I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended the season 2-8 or 3-7. But I still think Gus stays, because it’s basically a free year.

9 minutes ago, rophle said:

What games do you see as locks to win?

Every year Gus seems to get a free pass. That's why our football program has gone Hill since 2015. Remember that year? Auburn was 6-6 and had to beat Memphis in the mighty "Birmingham bowl" to have a winning season. Auburn ending 2015 at 7-6 overall and 2-6 in the conference. How many more free passes is this high school coach gonna get???

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

No kidding. We could lose this weekend, although I think we will win ... barely. 

Ark - Their D has been good and w/o Britt it could be another run all over us day. Not a gimme...toss up

SC - This should be a win

Ole Miss - Good offense, again without Britt it could be a shoot out. Not a gimme...toss up

LSU - Always tough and another stout D. Not a gimme

Mstate - Scary match up. Not a gimme

UTk - Pruitt has things heading in the right direction and owns Gus. Not a gimme.

Bama - Looks like one of their most complete teams in recent history. Not a gimme

TAMU - Depending how the season plays out, we might not even show up. Not a gimme...toss up

So maybe one gimme, 3 toss ups against mid/lower level teams, 4 extremely tough match ups.

4 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

or save millions to fire him next year when everyone on Earth knows he's a lame duck?

I don’t understand why people think we are saving money by keeping him. That’s just false. The longer we keep him the more we pay.

If we cut him now, we pay $6.9m for yearly salary + $21.4m for buyout for a total of $28.3m ($17.6m due this year, $10.7m due over next three years). 

If we cut him after next year, we pay $6.9m for this year’s salary + $7m for next years salary + $16.2m for buyout for a total of $30.1m ($6.9m due this year, $15.1m due next year, $8.1m due over the following three years). 

If we fire him now we will actually save $1.8m + whatever opportunity cost saved from bringing in new blood and injecting life into the program. 

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

No kidding. We could lose this weekend, although I think we will win ... barely. 

I don’t see this team fighting 60 minutes (hey that could be a slogan) this year. They could however especially if they look at their little unity logo on their uniforms.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

What games do you see as locks to win?

None are locks, I was more referring to the fact that the entire team quit on Chiz and we had no chance to win any conference games. I think if we finish around .500 and the team is still fighting then he’ll get another year. 
I know we have some deep pockets that can pony up for the buyout, but with the budget cuts around higher ed taking place all around the country, it’d be a bad look to have to pay it. 

9 minutes ago, rophle said:

None are locks, I was more referring to the fact that the entire team quit on Chiz and we had no chance to win any conference games. I think if we finish around .500 and the team is still fighting then he’ll get another year. 
I know we have some deep pockets that can pony up for the buyout, but with the budget cuts around higher ed taking place all around the country, it’d be a bad look to have to pay it. 

If there are more ugly losses he will finish out the year and be told to leave (fired) after the updyke game. Uat should be able to name the score.

10 minutes ago, rophle said:

Saturday was the first time I can remember our team under Gus with little to no fight.  If it plays out similarly the rest of the year, then we might see some of that

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Saturday was the first time I can remember our team under Gus with little to no fight.  If it plays out similarly the rest of the year, then we might see some of that

Y'all are looking at this all wrong.  If we're gonna suck, do it this year.  First year of the SEC Vegas Bowl tie in!  It's way down the pecking order and everyone is eligible for a bowl this year.  

Bring on the craps and blackjack tables!

36 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Y'all are looking at this all wrong.  If we're gonna suck, do it this year.  First year of the SEC Vegas Bowl tie in!  It's way down the pecking order and everyone is eligible for a bowl this year.  

And a redo for all the players...

39 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Birmingham bowl bound, will the UABs new stadium be finished?

21 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Birmingham bowl bound, will the UABs new stadium be finished?

No.  VEGAS!  This is my goal every year now.

Playoffs or Vegas.  There is no in between worthy of a trip (with the exception of the Sugar Bowl).

the powers that be has done Auburn no favors, they have devalued this football program by keeping Gus and this ridiculous contract, the next head coach may pretend he is all excited about the job but he knows the job pays well and as long as I beat Alabama I'm good. They have to stop paying all this money to under performing coaches, and know when the hold them and when to fold them, if we want to be taken serious we have to pull the plug when it is time, the days of no body will not want to come here because we didn't give a coach 5-6 years is bull crap, to much money is on the table now.

12 hours ago, woodford said:

Forget COVID and the buyout for 2 seconds, 25-25 in the last 50 games.

What Auburn team on what planet is 25-25 in the last 50 games??

I know this will not be popular but Pete Thamel wrote an article back in september 2020, headline clemson's Brent Venables realizes time is approaching for a head coaching job, folkes, he is ready 49 years old, he could look kirby in the eyes and go toe to toe. this would be a home run hire it was a good read on yahoo sports.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

No.  VEGAS!  This is my goal every year now.

Playoffs or Vegas.  There is no in between worthy of a trip (with the exception of the Sugar Bowl).

We went last time Auburn played UNLV in basketball. I used to tell people I was the only fan to have ever hot on a plane to watch AU hoops. Definitely no longer true.  I still can't figure out why people think gambling is fun. The shows are great though. But I'm done going to any bowl games with Gus as HC. Knowing the L is coming takes the fun out of it. 

7 hours ago, eaglenest said:

I know this will not be popular but Pete Thamel wrote an article back in september 2020, headline clemson's Brent Venables realizes time is approaching for a head coaching job, folkes, he is ready 49 years old, he could look kirby in the eyes and go toe to toe. this would be a home run hire it was a good read on yahoo sports.

I’ve wanted him since 2018. Him or Brady (as far as people we could realistically get).

Archived