Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

Man if we do one day get Mario, I hope he’s as good a fit as some are predicting. If he isn’t it’s going to really break some hearts and kill some spirits.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Man if we do one day get Mario, I hope he’s as good a fit as some are predicting. If he isn’t it’s going to really break some hearts and kill some spirits.  

That's how it seems we view 5 star players too. But wouldn't that be any coach or anybody? Hope they are good and if they aren't there's disappointment?

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nothing is ever guaranteed, but you raise your probability of sustained success with someone like Mario.  He was conference coach of the year at FIU and at Oregon, has been an excellent recruiter everywhere he has been, and has played for and coached under some top level coaches (Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Schiano, Saban).

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well first of all, if Gus was coaching at a pac 12 school he would not get nearly the same amount of talent . That’s what people forget. They want to take our SEC talent and move it to the pac 12. Umm it does not work that way. That is what makes Mario different. He has been bringing that southern talent to Oregon. 

Ok, I see what you are saying. I wasn't saying Gus as a coach would win more in other conferences, I don't think that. I guess I was thinking more like the teams Auburn has had under Gus would be much more successful in the Pac 12, but I understand how it doesn't work that way in reality. 

But Oregon was just as successful, really even more so, before Cristobal came to Oregon. So what has really changed under Cristobal? Him bringing southern talent has arguably more or just as much to do with his southern ties than Oregons play on the field. 

45 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

How many OT's did it take Malzahn to defeat the mighty Gamecocks from Jacksonville State?

That's kind of irrelevant because even the best teams every year typically have a game against a vastly inferior opponent they struggle in... see Ohio State vs Purdue, Clemson vs Syracuse, Bama vs Citadel, etc. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Ok, thanks for the enlightening response! 

My primary point was, I think the chance Cristobal leaves Oregon for Auburn is extremely low, and I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, AU_Twisterman said:

Nothing is ever guaranteed, but you raise your probability of sustained success with someone like Mario.  He was conference coach of the year at FIU and at Oregon, has been an excellent recruiter everywhere he has been, and has played for and coached under some top level coaches (Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Schiano, Saban).

This is my thing. Yeah Cristobal could fail but the likelihood that he does better is greater than the likelihood that he flops. The only thing in life that’s guaranteed is death and taxes. 

One thing I don’t think folks are taking into consideration, is the massive financial losses schools are incurring this year due to the pandemic, expected to be between 40 million to 70 million. I have heard similar numbers other places, and today heard it from Tim Brando on the Jboy show.

Another thing, firing Gus means we likely also lose Steele, Gardner, Cadillac and TWill. Are y’all ok with that? Or do you think we could convince the new HC to keep at least some of them? 

And so along with Gus’s 21 million buyout, wouldn’t we also have to pay his assistants too? And spent 10+ million on a new HC and assistants, that puts Auburn’s potential losses in ONE year to upwards of 100 million. Is Auburn really so bad (I don’t think we are) that it’s worth potentially decimating the program, especially considering there is no guarantee the next coach will be more successful than Gus? 

It’s true that Auburn made a terrible decision to extend Gus’s contract in 2017, Leath screwed us. But I believe it’s a decision we must stick with until 2022, especially considering how Gus will have NO excuses next year whatsoever with the level of talent and experience he will have with an OC that’s had an actual real offseason to institute his offense.  

My opinion may shift a bit if Auburn loses the next two games this year because the only way that happens is if the players have quit on him, something I’ve yet to see under Gus. 

Just my thoughts. 

2 hours ago, JeriahAU said:

Cristobal is not a candidate in my opinion.

There are a lot of posters that believe Cristobal is not the best coach to replace Gus.  You gave your opinion as to why he would not be, but do you have a better candidate or do you thing Gus should not be replaced?

23 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

This is my thing. Yeah Cristobal could fail but the likelihood that he does better is greater than the likelihood that he flops. The only thing in life that’s guaranteed is death and taxes. 

Well don’t you think Cristobal is highly likely to still be available in the next year or two when Gus’s buyout won’t potentially bankrupt the athletic department, which is likely considering the tens of millions we’ve already lost due to the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, JeriahAU said:

Another thing, firing Gus means we likely also lose Steele, Gardner, Cadillac and TWill. Are y’all ok with that? Or do you think we could convince the new HC to keep at least some of them? 

I wouldn't want our next HC to keep anyone unless it was his idea.

5 minutes ago, JeriahAU said:

Well don’t you think Cristobal is highly likely to still be available in the next year or two when Gus’s buyout won’t potentially bankrupt the athletic department, which is likely considering the tens of millions we’ve already lost due to the pandemic. 

Honestly I don’t think he’d be available next year. It would be really close. Michigan, Texas, penn st. are a few that I think would take a hard look at him if they got rid of their coaches and we don’t stack up with them when it comes to national prestige or money/resources IMO. But I could be wrong. If he’s still available next year and we aren’t having to fight against one of them it’s a no brainer to me. 

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's how it seems we view 5 star players too. But wouldn't that be any coach or anybody? Hope they are good and if they aren't there's disappointment?

Don’t get me wrong I like him and would love for him to get hired. I’m just speaking on the fact that he has a huge amount of love and trust within what I’d say is the majority of the forum. Which seems rare. 

There is a lot wrong with your assumptions.

Why in the world would he leave Oregon for Auburn?

He and his family want to get back to the South, they do not like the west coast. Also, he wants to coach in the SEC and has expressed interest in AU.

Oregon has just as much if not more resources than Auburn, better sponsorships (Nike), better recruiting, vastly easier path to the CFP, isn’t a rival of the greatest dynasty in CFP history, doesn’t have to fight against Bama, UGA, LSU, Clemson, and UF for EVERY recruit... the list goes on. 

Great coaches don't run from challenges. They build programs that can compete and win. MC has no love loss for Saban or Smart and would love the opportunity to go against them every year. What you address as reasons why not to come are actually the reasons why he would come. MC has the right attitude to win in this conference and would gladly accept the challenge.

what has Cristobal accomplished that Gus hasn’t? Gus actually has a significantly better W/L, and Auburn

No, not even close. 

At ORE...

2017: 1-0 (19th avg: 0.8724)

2018: 9-4 (13th avg: 0.8918)

2019: 12-2 (7th avg: 0.9060)

2020: 3-1 (11th avg: 0.9019)

2021: (5th any: 0.9180)

Ore: 24-8 (.750 pct)

Recruiting: 11th (.8980avg)

Notice the trend? He is building a program and every state indicates the right trajectory.

Now compare it to Gus'

2013: 12-2

2014: 8-5

2015: 7- 6

2016: 8-5

2017: 10-4

2018: 8-5

2019: 9-4 

2020: 5-3 

AU: 67-34  0.663

There is very little to suggest that Cristobal would be more successful than Gus at Auburn

There is a great amount of data that proves the exact opposite. Starting with...

Averaging 4.7 losses a year (6 straight years with at least 4 losses)

39-27 (59%) vs the SEC

15-14 (47%) vs SEC on the road

20-26 (43%) vs ranked opponents

0-12 in Baton Rouge/Athens/tuscaloosa

2-5 in bowl games with wins over a 9-3 Memphis in the Birmingham bowl and a 6-6 Purdue in the Music City bowl. 

To further reiterate where Gus has taken the program, since the kick 6, vs P5 opponents...

Iowa is 48-27

K-State is 38-36

Utah is 39-27

Miami is 37-30

Auburn is 35-32

To think MC wouldn't do better than those numbers is just laughable. Hell, of the 65 P5 football teams, I'd say at least 50 of those coaches could replicate his results and a good number of those would consistently do better than our current HC.

5 hours ago, JeriahAU said:

Why in the world would he leave Oregon for Auburn?

He and his family want to get back to the South, they do not like the west coast. Also, he wants to coach in the SEC and has expressed interest in AU.

Oregon has just as much if not more resources than Auburn, better sponsorships (Nike), better recruiting, vastly easier path to the CFP, isn’t a rival of the greatest dynasty in CFP history, doesn’t have to fight against Bama, UGA, LSU, Clemson, and UF for EVERY recruit... the list goes on. 

Great coaches don't run from challenges. They build programs that can compete and win. MC has no love loss for Saban or Smart and would love the opportunity to go against them every year. What you address as reasons why not to come are actually the reasons why he would come. MC has the right attitude to win in this conference and would gladly accept the challenge.

what has Cristobal accomplished that Gus hasn’t? Gus actually has a significantly better W/L, and Auburn

No, not even close. 

At ORE...

Notice the trend? He is building a program and every stat indicates the right trajectory.

Now compare it to Gus'

There is very little to suggest that Cristobal would be more successful than Gus at Auburn

There is a great amount of data that proves the exact opposite. Starting with...

39-27 (59%) vs the SEC

2-5 in bowl games with wins over a 9-3 Memphis in the Birmingham bowl and a 6-6 Purdue in the Music City bowl. 

To further reiterate where Gus has taken the program, since the kick 6, vs P5 opponents...

Iowa is 48-27

K-State is 38-36

Utah is 39-27

Miami is 37-30

Auburn is 35-32

To think MC wouldn't do better than those numbers is just laughable. Hell, of the 65 P5 football teams, I'd say at least 50 of those coaches could replicate his results and a good number of those would consistently do better than our current HC.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No, not even close. 

At ORE...

Notice the trend? He is building a program and every state indicates the right trajectory.

Now compare it to Gus'

39-27 (59%) vs the SEC

Iowa is 48-27

K-State is 38-36

Utah is 39-27

Miami is 37-30

Auburn is 35-32

Bird, Is MC your top choice? I think he would be a good fit. I know he does want to get back to the South. I like him and Billy Napier. I am not on the Freeze train at all.

What worries me is JABA. JABA has taught me not to get excited during coaching hires. This happens all the time it seems we get excited and start foaming at the mouth at names like Bob Stoops and Mario Cristobal, and then we do the most JABA thing you can think of. 

I just have night mares about headlines reading " AU hires new coach Derek Mason" or "Dameyun Craig Hired as next AU HC" 

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Iowa is 48-27

K-State is 38-36

Utah is 39-27

Miami is 37-30

Auburn is 35-32

Honestly, you could have started and finished right here.  Anyone who has access to this stat and still wants to argue to keep Gus needs a labotomy.

On 11/30/2020 at 4:39 PM, tbone1430 said:

The guy is constantly reading books on military strategy, leadership techniques and football scouting, navy seals, etc. Like the saying goes "read to succeed".

Yes ...This^^^^ Meanwhile our Coach is still puzzled trying to figure out Mousetrap.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:15 PM, GwillMac6 said:

This guy just screams Face of a successful major college football program at a top job. Look at him! That is who you want to be the face of your program. 

dsffds.jpg

trt.jpg

rewrew.jpg

It seems my view has shifted after seeing picture number 2. I definitely think we should throw the bank at Mrs. Cristo...I mean Mario Christobal immediately if not sooner. 

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bird, Is MC your top choice? I think he would be a good fit. I know he does want to get back to the South. I like him and Billy Napier. I am not on the Freeze train at all.

What worries me is JABA. JABA has taught me not to get excited during coaching hires. This happens all the time it seems we get excited and start foaming at the mouth at names like Bob Stoops and Mario Cristobal, and then we do the most JABA thing you can think of. 

I just have night mares about headlines reading " AU hires new coach Derek Mason" or "Dameyun Craig Hired as next AU HC" 

The good news is, based on our track record, the next coach will have an excellent opportunity to be undefeated or play for a national championship.

47 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Honestly, you could have started and finished right here.  Anyone who has access to this stat and still wants to argue to keep Gus needs a labotomy.

Seems if they want to keep Gus they've already had one 

3 hours ago, JeriahAU said:

Ok, thanks for the enlightening response! 

My primary point was, I think the chance Cristobal leaves Oregon for Auburn is extremely low, and I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise. 

1) Mario Cristobal is from South Florida and has obvious interest in returning to the South to coach in the pinnacle region of College and HS football. Do you think he's living it up in Eugene, Oregon? Literally the complete opposite corner of the country? Whats the cultural fit like for a Cuban-American in Oregon?

2) Mario Cristobal makes less than $3 million a year at Oregon. We pay Gus Malzahn $7 million for completely mediocre results. Money talks. Despite what you think of Oregon's "resources", they do not pay their coaches that much money. Even before he left for the NFL, Chip Kelly was making less at Oregon than Lane Kiffin was at USC - and Oregon was the best team in that conference. Willie Taggart made ~$3.2 mill a year. The simple answer is that Oregon still plays "mid-tier" football when it comes to finances and actual finances pumped into football.

3) Your view of Oregon's "resources" are completely inaccurate. Apart from jerseys and stupid gimmicks in their locker room, they do not have as much money as you seem to think. Go take a look at how much money we pay Kevin Steele to be the DC here - we have one of the Top 5 highest paid coaching staffs in the country. Oregon doesn't come even close, which means that to field the best staff in the country there is a non-option there at this point. And did you actually suggest that Oregon has recruiting advantages? Their home state is not a recruiting haven in the least - hence why their biggest pipeline is to freaking Hawaii it seems. Auburn is situated in the heart of HS talent and a good recruiter at Auburn has built in access to Georgia, Alabama, Florida (Cristobal's home state), Louisiana, etc. A premier talent from Florida isn't licking their chops to go and play football up in Eugene, Oregon where they barely have any sunlight. 

So really, the answers for why Cristobal would leave Oregon for Auburn are quite simple. Why did Willie Taggart leave Oregon for Florida State? 

56 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bird, Is MC your top choice?

Yes. 

I also like Tony Elliot, Billy Napier, Yurcich, Brown, Heupel, and Campbell, Kevin Wilson, and Jeff Grimes

Archived