Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, JeriahAU said:

Cristobal is not a candidate in my opinion. Why in the world would he leave Oregon for Auburn? Oregon has just as much if not more resources than Auburn, better sponsorships (Nike), better recruiting, vastly easier path to the CFP, isn’t a rival of the greatest dynasty in CFP history, doesn’t have to fight against Bama, UGA, LSU, Clemson, and UF for EVERY recruit... the list goes on. 

AND, what has Cristobal accomplished that Gus hasn’t? Gus actually has a significantly better W/L, and Auburn and Gus would go 12-0 or 11-1 every single year in the PAC-12 and Gus would get a statue. Auburn has a top 10 most difficult schedule almost every year, some folks don’t realize that. 

There is very little to suggest that Cristobal would be more successful than Gus at Auburn and VERY little chance of him leaving Oregon for Auburn. 

I've explained this multiple times why he is a candidate and has interest.......

46 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I've explained this multiple times why he is a candidate and has interest.......

Well numbnuts, he did just join us 6 hours ago...

49 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

His wife has close family in Georgia as well. I believe it is her sister. Momma wants to be closer to them and not at a outpost in Eugene, Oregon.

The same question came up when Urban Meyer left a really good gig at Utah to become Florida's HC. Remember, UF was good, but not like that good before Urban took over.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

His wife has close family in Georgia as well. I believe it is her sister. Momma wants to be closer to them and not at a outpost in Eugene, Oregon.

People must think Eugene is heaven for a coach. Its god awful and very hard to get to. Really the only coach to have any real somewhat constant success there was Chip Kelly who ran a gimmick offense. That was fairly new. I can promise people he has real interest in AU. Not saying he ends up here but it could happen

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

There is a lot wrong with your assumptions.

He and his family want to get back to the South, they do not like the west coast. Also, he wants to coach in the SEC and has expressed interest in AU.

Great coaches don't run from challenges. They build programs that can compete and win. MC has no love loss for Saban or Smart and would love the opportunity to go against them every year. What you address as reasons why not to come are actually the reasons why he would come. MC has the right attitude to win in this conference and would gladly accept the challenge.

No, not even close. 

At ORE...

2017: 1-0 (19th avg: 0.8724)

2018: 9-4 (13th avg: 0.8918)

2019: 12-2 (7th avg: 0.9060)

2020: 3-1 (11th avg: 0.9019)

2021: (5th any: 0.9180)

Ore: 24-8 (.750 pct)

Recruiting: 11th (.8980avg)

Notice the trend? He is building a program and every stat indicates the right trajectory.

Now compare it to Gus'

2013: 12-2

2014: 8-5

2015: 7- 6

2016: 8-5

2017: 10-4

2018: 8-5

2019: 9-4 

2020: 5-3 

AU: 67-34  0.663

There is a great amount of data that proves the exact opposite. Starting with...

Averaging 4.7 losses a year (6 straight years with at least 4 losses)

39-27 (59%) vs the SEC

15-14 (47%) vs SEC on the road

20-26 (43%) vs ranked opponents

0-12 in Baton Rouge/Athens/tuscaloosa

2-5 in bowl games with wins over a 9-3 Memphis in the Birmingham bowl and a 6-6 Purdue in the Music City bowl. 

To further reiterate where Gus has taken the program, since the kick 6, vs P5 opponents...

Iowa is 48-27

K-State is 38-36

Utah is 39-27

Miami is 37-30

Auburn is 35-32

To think MC wouldn't do better than those numbers is just laughable. Hell, of the 65 P5 football teams, I'd say at least 50 of those coaches could replicate his results and a good number of those would consistently do better than our current HC.

If this hasn't been printed and shared with Allen Greene, please advise.   I am heading that way next week for my son's graduation and I will hand deliver it myself.  

Bird has dropped the BOOM!  

(drop mic and exit stage)

Seriously, Allen Greene will start to looking like a horse's ___   if he doesn't have a plan to jettison Gus at his first realistic chance.   And Gus will get an extension for recruiting purposes, but the buyout will get renegotiated is what I am guessing.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yes. 

I also like Tony Elliot, Billy Napier, Yurcich, Brown, Heupel, and Campbell, Kevin Wilson, and Jeff Grimes

I would list mine as Napier, Mario, Campbell, and then Venebles. People laugh at me, but I think Venebles is a good option if we can't get any of the other 3. 

19 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think Venebles is a good option if we can't get any of the other 3. 

Vennables would be a tremendous get. He may get a HC job someday, but it's not gonna happen here. Too bad, he's one of my favorites and has been since K-State.

Reading about Venables it sounds like he really loves Clemson, the unique culture and the area.   Auburn would be the perfect place to transition to for him and his family.   Well, except that AU would need to amp up their commitment to winning big. 

There's a good chance that Oregon only plays one, maybe two more games this season due to their extremely rational conference and state government. So, he could be here sooner rather than later.

I can picture Mario riding a bear into the office in the morning with no shirt on. He just seems like a beast that is just waiting to explode somewhere.

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

I can picture Mario riding a bear into the office in the morning with no shirt on. He just seems like a beast that is just waiting to explode somewhere.

His wife is free to follow suit if she please

I think James Franklin would come here in a heart beat. Having a rough season at Penn State this year, he could become available at season's end. Napier is an excellent choice as well. We will not have a problem luring a good coach to come here. We have everything here for a very good coach to become a great coach. Joe Brady would be an excellent choice as well. Fleck would fit the bill as well. There are a lot of very good coaches out there that would jump at the chance to come here.

The rumblings are growing in Austin that Tom Herman  will be gone.  They have a lot of money at Texas for things like this.

I suspect Cristobal is their #1 choice.

Meyer is not going to coach again.  He loves having his name tossed out there and the fanfare, but I honestly think he left UF when he no longer had all the advantages of Tim Tebow leading his team.  He realized after,  it is hard to win championships without special players. 

On 12/3/2020 at 6:36 PM, bigbird said:

Vennables would be a tremendous get. He may get a HC job someday, but it's not gonna happen here. Too bad, he's one of my favorites and has been since K-State.

Are we afraid to hire him because of made up "skeletons?" Or would Dabo pressure him against coming here?

4 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Give me Sark.  

The number one thing I care about is can they recruit. So yes I would happily take Sark.

Archived