Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

22 minutes ago, chizhead said:

I AM a recovering alcoholic...33 years sober, so I know more about it than you do Truth is truth

And I take care of recovering alcoholics for a living and was raised by one. And I know calling someone an alcoholic when that is in their past is incredibly insensitive and triggering. If you attended and went through any therapeutic programming you would know that. And if he is our future head coach it would be incredibly disrespectful to continuously categorize him as one. Would you call someone who struggled with substance abuse and been clean for several years a crack head? 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

That does concern me but I think COVID is to blame. I know, I know! But hear me out...

The PAC 12 (the whole west coast for that matter) has been in disarray due to COVID and the extreme measures taken to combat it. Also consider that they waited until the 11½-th hour to cobble a season together. I think it's unfair to gauge one program to another this year.

Christobal appears to be a great recruiter but his game management is suspect. Still, I think he'd be an improvement. Definitely less of a crapshoot than a 5-18 Iowa State head coach.

I agree. I don't like excuses, but the Pac-12 is crazy this year. I doubt they even finish their season. He's a great recruiter and we need that badly. I think he could put together a staff that could handle the SEC. I would LOVE to see him with Muschamp as DC. That would be one helluva recruiting duo.

With the way CFB has evolved and the way it seems to be heading, we need a QB whisperer (whether it's a HC or coordinator). You have to score points. There's no other way around it. As great as UGA is recruiting, their offense/QB play has been a big reason why they haven't won it all yet. They have the talent to win it all and almost did in 17. 

I LOVE MC's philosophy on building teams around the trenches.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

That does concern me but I think COVID is to blame. I know, I know! But hear me out...

The PAC 12 (the whole west coast for that matter) has been in disarray due to COVID and the extreme measures taken to combat it. Also consider that they waited until the 11½-th hour to cobble a season together. I think it's unfair to gauge one program to another this year.

Christobal appears to be a great recruiter but his game management is suspect. Still, I think he'd be an improvement. Definitely less of a crapshoot than a 5-18 Iowa State head coach.

I agree. I don't like excuses, but the Pac-12 is crazy this year. I doubt they even finish their season. He's a great recruiter and we need that badly. I think he could put together a staff that could handle the SEC. I would LOVE to see him with Muschamp as DC. That would be one helluva recruiting duo.

With the way CFB has evolved and the way it seems to be heading, we need a QB whisperer (whether it's a HC or coordinator). You have to score points. There's no other way around it. As great as UGA is recruiting, their offense/QB play has been a big reason why they haven't won it all yet. They have the talent to win it all and almost did in 17. 

I LOVE MC's philosophy on building teams around the trenches.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

And I take care of recovering alcoholics for a living and was raised by one. And I know calling someone an alcoholic when that is in their past is incredibly insensitive and triggering. If you attended and went through any therapeutic programming you would know that. And if he is our future head coach it would be incredibly disrespectful to continuously categorize him as one. Would you call someone who struggled with substance abuse and been clean for several years a crack head? 

I did and being so super sensitive about everything does absolutely nothing. Facing the truth. You know things from the outside in....You never stop being alcoholic....ever....whether you drink or not....You should know that

45 minutes ago, auburnalum1974 said:

Thanks with age, experience comes wisdom! Have no viable candidate in mind. Personally Freeze needs to stay put and build positive clout. Too much baggage now. I like Steele as he is seasoned from high school in SC to head coach at Southern Miss. He has coached on all levels.

Steele has never been a head coach at southern miss. You are thinking of ellis johnson. Who went winless in his only season there. Kevin steele is 9-36 as a head coach. Hard pass. Plus he's in his 60's. Yes I know saban is 65. Not every 60 year olds are created equal!!! Lol

7 minutes ago, chizhead said:

being so super sensitive about everything does absolutely nothing. Facing the truth.

No truer words have ever been spoken.  A little personal responsibility goes a long way, few and far between in today’s world.  JMO

32 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Dabo had never been a HC or coordinator....

Not completely true. Remember they promoted Dabo to interim HC due to firing Bowden with intention to hire a new coach . Dabo preceded to win out and look impressive . When Clemson didn’t get who the wanted they gave the Job to Dabo . Not sure they intended it tone more than a year but Dabo proved he was a winner and that’s the rest of the story . Only guy not named Malzahn that has had good success against Nick. The difference is when he has lost to Nick it’s been a respectable loss. I don’t expect a new coach to win all the games but with AU’s recruiting and fan base we should never lose by more than 17 to anyone. And not often at that. 

My top picks would be:

1. Tom Allen 2. Mario Cristobal 3a. Luke Fickle 3b. Billy Napier

If we wanted to save some money I wouldn't mind promoting Garner or Steele and seeing what they could do. I think our support staff is solid and in terms of recruiting I believe our Head Coach needs to be the closer and I believe we have some closers on staff... All they need is the title.

Regardless recruiting needs to be addressed first and foremost while there's still time to catch up.

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

My top picks would be:

1. Tom Allen 2. Mario Cristobal 3a. Luke Fickle 3b. Billy Napier

If we wanted to save some money I wouldn't mind promoting Garner or Steele and seeing what they could do. I think our support staff is solid and in terms of recruiting I believe our Head Coach needs to be the closer and I believe we have some closers on staff... All they need is the title.

Regardless recruiting needs to be addressed first and foremost while there's still time to catch up.

My save the money route is go out and get pound for pound the best recruiter in the country. That imo is Dell McGee.  Pay him 2.6 million and then hire a elite staff around him. Great coordinators and position coaches. I guaran damn tee you we wouldn't be freaking 0 for Georgia ever again in recruiting this late in the process. If we don't get a top proven head coach I would love going this route.

2 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

But doesn't that apply to all PAC-12 teams? Oregon has more talent than other PAC-12 teams due to Christobal's recruiting so shouldn't he have the advantage? They were heavily favored in both their losses and I'm sure Vegas took all factors into account. I'm not saying he isn't one of the best available but just that no one jumps out to me as being a great choice. The various posts here with suggestions bear that out.

31 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

He was the underdog and Christobal was the favorite,

Ok how about tenn last year, how a about SC? 

19 hours ago, casatiger said:

Give me Sark.  

Really? Sark is a great cooridnator. I don't know that he's head coach material. Not a slam against him. Some coaches just are better at working for someone than being worked for.

Hello all. First time poster.. long time reader, long time SEC fan (of another team unfortunately) BUT just admitted to grad school at AU and have always wanted AU in the title hunt like it deserves.

If AU is serious about moving on from Gus, I think his replacement would do well having won at a G5 if money is an issue. If money isn't an issue, I'd go all in on PJ Fleck or maybe Bob Stoops. Freeze is also an option if you're ok with the NCAA/bad press risk

To make money less of an issue with Gus's buyout, I'd negotiate a Bobby Bonilla type deal paying him ~1.5M for the next 14 years, or backload it over 7 years until it hits the $21M amount. That way its less of a current financial hit and allows the department to recover from this awful virus. 

WDE

I will take the HC who wants to take lead with the elite recruits and brings swagger back to Auburn.  We keep losing elite recruits because Smart, Mullens and Saban recruit key recruits themselves.  

As I have said, give me the man willing to gnaw off his own arm to win a game.    HC experience is not critical if they can hire a strong, loyal staff

16 hours ago, DAG said:

What are you talking about ? Hugh freeze resume is nothing like Gus’s . People just typing anything tonight. 

What are you talking about? Come on Dag. He's buddies with Gus... Former High School coach and coached at Arkansas state. Assistant at SEC school before coaching in SEC. Everyone was talking about Gus hiring him as OC last year. That's too close. Would prefer someone else. 

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Agreed. I hope we don’t hire or not hire a coach based a couple of games. That would be extremely short sighted. Saban had home losses to UAB and LaMonroe and he’s managed to overcome it. MC can recruit and run a program with an executive mindset. 

3 hours ago, chizhead said:

Sark is an alcoholic that possesses an offensive mindset on the level with Kiffin. The alcoholism is my only concern because of the pressures of being a HC. Dude can coach

He also has stated he had personal issues, and couldn't deal with rising that fast with that much pressure. His career took off so quickly and he was working so hard he couldn't take time to deal with it. He's very mature about it. I don't think any coach like Saban or even Atlanta Falcons would take unnecessary risks like that. He also wouldn't risk his career again. He seems in control of his life. 

26 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

What are you talking about? Come on Dag. He's buddies with Gus... Former High School coach and coached at Arkansas state. Assistant at SEC school before coaching in SEC. Everyone was talking about Gus hiring him as OC last year. That's too close. Would prefer someone else. 

He turned around Arkansas State

He did big things at ole miss 

he did big things at lambuth

He did big things at liberty

all of these schools he turned around as a head coach at every different level. Gus has never had anything close to that. 

35 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Billy Napier said he was not leaving U of Louisiana.

If I were him I’d stay for another year or two and then take the LSU job when it becomes available because Coach O is looking like Chiz 2.0. 

Archived