Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Napier

Anyone look at his staff or coaching tree?  

Big Bird may be on to something special here.

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Napier

Anyone look at his staff or coaching tree?  

Big Bird may be on to something special here.

Worked under Swinney, Saban, McElwain, Todd Graham.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/louisiana-hc-billy-napier-joining-alabama-staff-was-most-valuable-moment-of-coaching-career/amp/

I am retired now, after spending 25 years in high stress legal.  I worked with lots of alcoholics.  Some were functioning alcoholics who did a great job and caused no problems.  Some did a great job, but caused problems and got fired.  Some didn’t do a good job and got fired.  Interestingly, the recovering alcoholics did a great job, were dependable and caused no problems.  

All of this is to say that it is a mistake to lump all alcoholics in the “rejects barrel.”  When looking to hire an alcoholic be sure to do due diligence and make an informed decision.  There are plenty of alcoholics who will due a great job and cause no problems.  I suggest to you that recovering alcoholics are motivated to prove themselves on a daily basis.  

At this point I am leaning toward hiring Sark.  I think it is very possible that his life experience of failure,  his epiphany of realizing that he is an alcoholic and his willingness to address that problem could well lead to him being an elite HC. 

It won’t be very popular but bring me Sark. 
He’s a name kids know, knows the recruiting area and has relationships, he is an amazing offensive mind, is likely hungry for a second chance, has matured and learned under Saban, likely would pull another coach or two away from Alabama AND it hurts our biggest rival to lose him. 
That said, I expect them to keep Gus another year. If he were canned I’d expect to be completely underwhelmed by the candidate list. Names would probably be Muschamp, Helton, Lashlee, Lindsay, Neil Brown, Bill Clark and Buffalo HC Leipold

24 minutes ago, BurtonJ20 said:

It won’t be very popular but bring me Sark. 
He’s a name kids know, knows the recruiting area and has relationships, he is an amazing offensive mind, is likely hungry for a second chance, has matured and learned under Saban, likely would pull another coach or two away from Alabama AND it hurts our biggest rival to lose him. 
That said, I expect them to keep Gus another year. If he were canned I’d expect to be completely underwhelmed by the candidate list. Names would probably be Muschamp, Helton, Lashlee, Lindsay, Neil Brown, Bill Clark and Buffalo HC Leipold

I am starting to think Gus is gone.

• Losing the team is no longer in doubt,
  • losing recruits and
  • to get elite recruits, we are forced to leave AL and GA.  
  • what is Gus' strongest attribute at this point?   
    • that whole top 10 class every year ain't happening
    • we still can't land OL cruits...

It would cost us $11 mil now and we have about 35-40 I think set aside for the football only facility.   The remaining can be paid over 4 yrs -which is a budget item now ( a big one, but can be managed).

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am starting to think Gus is gone.

• Losing the team is no longer in doubt,
  • losing recruits and
  • to get elite recruits, we are forced to leave AL and GA.  
  • what is Gus' strongest attribute at this point?   
    • that whole top 10 class every year ain't happening
    • we still can't land OL cruits...

It would cost us $11 mil now and we have about 35-40 I think set aside for the football only facility.   The remaining can be paid over 4 yrs -which is a budget item now ( a big one, but can be managed).

We can only hope

David Shaw is my choice.  He's a stellar candidate with excellent character and has a good long-term W/L record.  His record has dipped over the last two seasons which makes me think that he might be open for something challenging, which would be the SEC. ( Shaw is in his 10th season at Stanford)  He would be in the best conference and have the best rivalries to contend.

Auburn Football needs a man of David Shaw's stature.  He brings instant recognition.

As an aside, AU should NEVER hire another coordinator for a hc.  NEVER.  We've swung at that ball twice and struck out monstrously with Chizik and Malzahn.  Whoever the next hc is should have a proven resume as a hc.  Why would we pay top dollar for people like Malzahn's hc record ?  One season, seriously ?

DAVID SHAW !!!  Think big, WIN BIG !

I haven’t gone back and read the thread so I’m sure he’s been said before but I personally love Tom Allen’s style of coaching. I’m not sure if he’s ready for that big of a leap but I’d love to have a guy like that. He’s full energy all the time and I think he appeals to his players really well. They field a really good defense and I’m sure he can recruit. 

Either way we need the opposite of Gus. He’s a lame duck coach with lame duck coaching fielding lame duck teams with lame duck attitudes. In 8 years I think Gus has shown emotions like four times. Dude is a DUD and I can not see how he ever appeased to players to begin with. The absolute main difference between us and our rivals (GA, BAMA, LSU) is ATTITUDE and all of that stems from Gus and his coaching style. I want a high-energy, cutthroat football team. 

i been saying this for years. I rather lose passionately with someone else than muddle through the muck with lame duck Gus. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The absolute main difference between us and our rivals (GA, BAMA, LSU) is ATTITUDE and all of that stems from Gus and his coaching style. I want a high-energy, cutthroat football team. 

i been saying this for years. I rather lose passionately with someone else than muddle through the muck with lame duck Gus. 

When was the last time Auburn lost an intense game where you can tell our guys laid it all out? 2014 Iron Bowl?

29 minutes ago, woodford said:

When was the last time Auburn lost an intense game where you can tell our guys laid it all out? 2014 Iron Bowl?

I mean we DID give LSU their closest call last year.

31 minutes ago, woodford said:

Our guys have laid it all out in many losses since then. Effort has rarely been the issue. LSU last year was a great example. If Gus had performed to his players' standard, we would've won by 2 scores.

2 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I haven’t gone back and read the thread so I’m sure he’s been said before but I personally love Tom Allen’s style of coaching. I’m not sure if he’s ready for that big of a leap but I’d love to have a guy like that. He’s full energy all the time and I think he appeals to his players really well. They field a really good defense and I’m sure he can recruit. 

Either way we need the opposite of Gus. He’s a lame duck coach with lame duck coaching fielding lame duck teams with lame duck attitudes. In 8 years I think Gus has shown emotions like four times. Dude is a DUD and I can not see how he ever appeased to players to begin with. The absolute main difference between us and our rivals (GA, BAMA, LSU) is ATTITUDE and all of that stems from Gus and his coaching style. I want a high-energy, cutthroat football team. 

Just looked up Tom Allen’s bio...... Indiana is paying him 3.9 million a year! Heck, Liberty is paying Freeze 3 mil a year! I should’ve gone into coaching

33 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I mean we DID give LSU their closest call last year.

Yeah that's my mistake, I should have included that. Auburn really gave LSU all they could ask for. Looking back it was pretty much the opposite of the Georgia game from 2019.

Top 10 in no particular order:

• Hugh Freeze
  • Steve Sarkisian
  • Matt Campbell
  • Luke Fickell
  • Joe Brady (not coming down to college but make him say no)
  • Brent Venables
  • Tony Elliott
  • Josh Huepel
  • PJ Fleck
  • Mario Cristobal

Not including pipe-dreams like Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops who likely aren't coaching next year anywhere.

Say what you will but I 100% believe all of the above out perform Gus in recruiting and coaching.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Top 10 in no particular order:

• Hugh Freeze
  • Steve Sarkisian
  • Matt Campbell
  • Luke Fickell
  • Joe Brady (not coming down to college but make him say no)
  • Brent Venables
  • Tony Elliott
  • Josh Huepel
  • PJ Fleck
  • Mario Cristobal

Not including pipe-dreams like Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops who likely aren't coaching next year anywhere.

Say what you will but I 100% believe all of the above out perform Gus in recruiting and coaching.

That's my list if you add Napier 

Just now, bigbird said:

That's my list if you add Napier 

I keep seeing Napier mentioned but I haven't looked into him enough to know much. We need a knockout top 5 level recruiter that's all I know.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I keep seeing Napier mentioned but I haven't looked into him enough to know much. We need a knockout top 5 level recruiter that's all I know.

He landed Ruggs, Smith, and Jeudy in 2017.

https://247sports.com/coach/Billy-Napier-241/

• RunInRed changed the title to Who do you want as head coach?
25 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

At the top of the list should be David Shaw. 

He is a solid coach, but he isn't going to leave his alma mater and the area he has lived most of his life to come to AU.

26 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

At the top of the list should be David Shaw. 

Shaw is from Cali and an alumnus of Stanford where he played multiple sports.  I do agree that he is a good coach, but I suspect our chances of getting him are slim to none with the emphasis on none. 

12 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

David Shaw is my choice.  He's a stellar candidate with excellent character and has a good long-term W/L record.  His record has dipped over the last two seasons which makes me think that he might be open for something challenging, which would be the SEC. ( Shaw is in his 10th season at Stanford)  He would be in the best conference and have the best rivalries to contend.

Auburn Football needs a man of David Shaw's stature.  He brings instant recognition.

As an aside, AU should NEVER hire another coordinator for a hc.  NEVER.  We've swung at that ball twice and struck out monstrously with Chizik and Malzahn.  Whoever the next hc is should have a proven resume as a hc.  Why would we pay top dollar for people like Malzahn's hc record ?  One season, seriously ?

DAVID SHAW !!!  Think big, WIN BIG !

I like David Shaw but he has said plenty his wife runs that show and she loves Palo Alto lol..soo

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Billy Napier was recruiting at Clemson before Clemson became what you see today. He then went on to Alabama wherein he was one of their top recruiters. He can absolutely recruit, and has a strong recruiting foundation in the geographical region where we need to hit in order to be successful. With him - its more of a "is he ready" type question.

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Billy Napier was recruiting at Clemson before Clemson became what you see today. He then went on to Alabama wherein he was one of their top recruiters. He can absolutely recruit, and has a strong recruiting foundation in the geographical region where we need to hit in order to be successful. With him - its more of a "is he ready" type question.

Gotcha, I need to look into him.

Archived