Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

What Auburn team on what planet is 25-25 in the last 50 games??

I read that wrong on a different board (247 sports). I'm glad you caught that. Sorry for the fake news. 

My point still stands. 20-25 against ranked teams, 15-16 against SEC teams on the road, 6 straight seasons with at least 4 losses, etc. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I think Joe Brady would give us that needed contrast for recruiting

While he did amazing last year and off to another good start, I'd prefer one that has had sustained success with their O at multiple places.

Heupel, Kevin Wilson, and Yurcich fit that criteria.

Others that have had consistent offensive success, albeit at fewer institutions, would be Cale Gundy, Brandon Streeter, Jeff Grimes, Jeff Scott, Tony Elliot, Kendall Briles, Neal Brown, or Phill Longo.

Then there are the impressive young up and coming coaches such as Napier, David Yost, Shane Beamer, or Seth Littrell

If we hire a offensive guy, of those I listed, from the first group I'd take Heupel or Yurcich...from the second, I'd take Tony Elliot or Jeff Grimes...from the third, I'd take Napier or Beamer. 

17 hours ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Respectfully disagree on PJ Fleck.  Did you see the bowl game?  Those guys seemed pretty motivated to me... and they beat us despite our significant talent advantage all over the field.  The guy is a winner, and has shown that he can win in tough situations.  If he comes here, with the level of talent we have presently (to get him started) and assistants I imagine will stay, I think the recruiting concerns will work themselves out.

My top tier would be PJ Fleck, Billy Napier, and Joe Brady.  I would be incredibly excited to land any of them.

Cristobal is talented, but he couldn't be Gus with Justin Herbet at QB.  No reason to think he would be better at Auburn than at Oregon.  Still probably an upgrade over our current coach, and I'd be very happy with the hire.  I'd put Aranda in the same boat.  

Why do people keep bringing up Bill Clark?  He went 9-5 last season at UAB including a 2-37 loss to Southern Miss.  Not the guy for this job.  

The only problem I see in what you listed is that is that if he comes here there will almost assuredly not be any assistants retained.  It is rare to keep coaches from another staff.  That is just the nature of the beast.  We would lose T Will, Caddy, and Garner more than likely.  Unfortunately as much as I hate it, I am willing to do the painful thing to make us better.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I wouldn't hate it, but the cries of JABA would be loud. 

He was smart enough to get out of a bad situation. Right now, from where I'm sitting, that's just about as polar from JABA as one could be

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

While he did amazing last year and off to another good start, I'd prefer one that has had sustained success with their O at multiple places.

Others that have had consistent offensive success, albeit at fewer institutions, would be Cale Gundy, Brandon Streeter, Jeff Grimes, Jeff Scott, Tony Elliot, Kendall Briles, Neal Brown, or Phill Longo.

Then there are the impressive young up and coming coaches such as Napier, David Yost, Shane Beamer, or Seth Littrell

If we hire a offensive guy, of those I listed, from the first group I'd take Heupel or Yurcich...from the second, I'd take Tony Elliot or Jeff Grimes...from the third, I'd take Napier or Beamer. 

Well, if it takes a couple more years to get rid of the current regime, all the better.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Saturday was the first time I can remember our team under Gus with little to no fight.  If it plays out similarly the rest of the year, then we might see some of that

Agreed, that’s the first time I’ve seen a lack of effort. We’ve been out schemed a lot, but the players always fought. If the team quits on the season then all bets are off and Gus will have to pack his bags. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Bird, would you mind expanding on your thoughts on Neal Brown?  I’m a Troy grad and live in Dothan so I follow them closely.  I’m pulling for him at WVU also. He really had Troy rolling and if he wins at WVU I think he could do well at AU.

8 hours ago, AUBourne said:

We went last time Auburn played UNLV in basketball. I used to tell people I was the only fan to have ever hot on a plane to watch AU hoops. Definitely no longer true.  I still can't figure out why people think gambling is fun. The shows are great though. But I'm done going to any bowl games with Gus as HC. Knowing the L is coming takes the fun out of it. 

You've obviously never gone on a hot streak at a craps table, hit a nice parlay, or a crushed monster trifecta at the track.

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Bird, would you mind expanding on your thoughts on Neal Brown?  I’m a Troy grad and live in Dothan so I follow them closely.  I’m pulling for him at WVU also. He really had Troy rolling and if he wins at WVU I think he could do well at AU.

In three games at WVU, he has a QB that's passed for 724 yards with a QBR of 136.8.

in addition to that, he has 2 RB that have rushed for 320 and 187 yards and doing it at an avg of 5.1 and 6.7 ypc respectively. 

Per game, they are passing for 263 and rushing for 177. The balance is just as impressive. Averaging almost 25 first downs a game with 11 coming through the air and 10 on the ground.

He's been successful everywhere he's been and has done it building programs, not inheriting them.

Screenshot_20201009-104531.png

Screenshot_20201009-104616.png

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In three games at WVU, he has a QB that's passed for 724 yards with a QBR of 136.8.

in addition to that, he has 2 RB that have rushed for 320 and 187 yards and doing it at an avg of 5.1 and 6.7 ypc respectively. 

Per game, they are passing for 263 and rushing for 177. The balance is just as impressive. Averaging almost 25 first downs a game with 11 coming through the air and 10 on the ground.

He's been successful everywhere he's been and has done it building programs, not inheriting them.

He wasn’t left with a lot at WVU either.  I’ve liked Neal since he was OC at Tennessee and I think Kentucky.  He didn’t get a lot of attention because the teams weren’t good but the offenses were.  

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Cool but how many thousand yard rushers does he have? Only metric that matters. 

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

I’ve wanted him since 2018. Him or Brady (as far as people we could realistically get).

Forget Brady. He was offered a boatload of money to stay at LSU and he still bolted to the NFL.

I think he is destined to want an NFL HC, if he still succeeds as an OC.

But he'll never go back to a college.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Thanks Bird. I’m a big Neal Brown fan and would be excited to have him at Auburn.

It would be best for Auburn if Gus Malzahn got us back on track.  So I say today that Gus Malzahn is who I want as our coach.  I might change my mind down the road, but I don't think it is wise to evaluate the staff including Gus until after this season is completed or at least nearing it's end.  

4 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

It would be best for Auburn if Gus Malzahn got us back on track.  So I say today that Gus Malzahn is who I want as our coach.  I might change my mind down the road, but I don't think it is wise to evaluate the staff including Gus until after this season is completed or at least nearing it's end.  

we’ve been evaluating him for EIGHT YEARS 

18 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

we’ve been evaluating him for EIGHT YEARS 

And we will continue to evaluate him for at least the remainder of this season at a minimum. 

19 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Down the road? Explain that thought please?

He has, as the prior poster said, 7+ years to show consistency in making the program competing for an SEC CHamp and a bearth in the playoff system.

With his 4 loss avg since 2013, he has kept us from reaching those goals. Only once in 2017, with a flurry of wins at the end of the year, did he have a shot at the SECC and a bearth in the playoffs.

Do you really think Gus is going to beat the rest of the SEC teams, and only lose to Alabama? 

On 10/7/2020 at 3:05 PM, DAG said:

Total Auburn Left field pick: Bill O Brien.  Mark Richt lol

I'd actually choose Lou Holtz. Or reanimating Bear Bryant's corpse.

Ok, that's not true.

Anybody say Freeze yet?  He’s got Malik looking not terrible.  Everybody has forgotten about the hookers right?

20 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

It would be best for Auburn if Gus Malzahn got us back on track. 

Actually, it wouldn't - and I'll explain why. 

It would be best for Auburn if GM "got us back on track" only if that entailed him reaching a new state of equilibrium which elevates the program to a more desirable state of consistent success. While that would be a desirable outcome, its not even remotely realistic at this point. Since we are in year 8 of his tenure here (with multiple shuffles of the coaching staff), what you see is what you get at this point. The life expectancy of a successful coach in this conference is ~10 years, so expecting GM to "turn the corner" after his 8th full season here is asinine. He's already at the point of his career wherein you've realistically squeezed the majority of success you're going to get out of him.

Now, the issue here that you (and everyone else who's still holding out for hope) is missing is that we are basically at the point where a change needs to be made for the sake of OPTICS alone. In this hypercompetitive conference, your team is either competing and winning (in which case the fanbase is living off of the hype which that success brings), or your team is rebuilding with a new coach (in which case the fanbase is living off the hype of "a brighter tomorrow"). The worst state you can be in is the state we are currently in, which is Malzahn's default state: general ineptitude, but doing just enough once every ~3-4 years to buy more time. The danger with being in this state is that it slowly sucks the life and energy out of the fanbase. It breeds apathy and disinterest. While teams like Bama, LSU, Georgia are living off of their actual success, teams like Tennessee, Ole Miss, MSU, and Arkansas are living off of the excitement that a new regime brings. What are we living off of? The hope that in a year or two or three our coach might just so happen to have all the pieces fall into place to have one season wherein we're competing for an SEC title? Even if we give him enough time and reach that point again, he has already proven that its fool's gold because its short lived success followed by another 3-4 seasons of complete soul-sucking ineptitude. 

The football team CAN NOT remain in this state of APATHY. Regardless of any wins or losses, you need to look at the landscape around us and see that we are falling behind in terms of general excitement and hype around the program. Our energy is waning. The way to "kick start" the engine again is to make a coaching change which FORCES a sense of interest back into the program through uncertainty alone. This is basically the fate of all coaches in this conference, and what you saw when Georgia replaced Richt, LSU replaced Miles, Arkansas replaced Nutt, etc. 

Change literally needs to happen for the sake of change alone. We're well past the point with Malzahn where we need to give him time to figure things out. He's already shown what he is; what you are arguing for is going to result in nothing but a prolonged state of interest in the football team slowly being chipped away and eroded. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Down the road? Explain that thought please?

He has, as the prior poster said, 7+ years to show consistency in making the program competing for an SEC CHamp and a bearth in the playoff system.

With his 4 loss avg since 2013, he has kept us from reaching those goals. Only once in 2017, with a flurry of wins at the end of the year, did he have a shot at the SECC and a bearth in the playoffs.

Do you really think Gus is going to beat the rest of the SEC teams, and only lose to Alabama? 

He isn’t going to be evaluated until after the season and that is as it should be. I have no idea what is going to happen the rest of this season. 

Archived