Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Go back and watch the ending to Louisiana vs App State game.   Should give a lot of concern on Napier’s decision making skills.   Not saying that it couldn’t get better with time, but it’s head scratching to understand what he was thinking at that particular time.

I’ve read on here some head scratching things that Cristobol has done during games too.  I’m sure there are things that every coach has done at one point or another that would question their decision making skills, but the one that Napier did was crazy. If not for a missed field goal it would have gone to overtime.  

Yeah, he got away with that for sure. But my point is can you name a game that he lost to a team he should have beaten that would be considered a bad loss? Even though it wasn't a smart decision, that was Lafayette's first win over App State. Lafayette had never been App State since they joined the Sun Belt in 2014. App State is 7-3 so they're still pretty good. App State's only losses are to Marshall(who were undefeated until they laid an egg against Rice), Coastal Carolina(undefeated #13) and Lafayette. 

The only loss for Napier at Lafayette you can look at and say was a bad loss was his 1st year in 2018 when they lost to Coastal Carolina who went 5-7 in 2018. All his other losses are to P5 schools, Tulane in a bowl game, and the best teams each year in the Sun Belt.

Napier is a heck of a recruiter. He helped recruit Tajh Boyd and Martavis Bryant to Clemson. Then at Bama he recruited Cam Robinson, DeVonta Smith, and Henry Ruggs.  

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd take those results in a heartbeat

Fair enough, this year looks pretty bad for us.  But we've been in that range before and not managed to get over the hurdle to sustained excellence.

Like I mentioned, if he comes I'll be glad and definitely get on board.  We need some change right now, badly.

Here's an interesting article I found last night on Napier:

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article247421165.html

The more I look into his background and coaching career, the more I'm sold on him being the next breakout coach that will have sustained success at a P5 program. He could be the next Dabo at the right school.

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

And here's the rest of the story...

(Was shown this from another earlier)

Last year he won the PAC-12 and the Rose Bowl.

This year, after losing his QB to the draft (#6 pick), they were devastated by Opt-Outs, mostly due to the PAC-12 cancelling the season. Once they reversed course, many of his starters had already signed with agents. His projected Top 5 NFL Draft Pick (an OT) led that pack, as well as 3 of the 4 starters in his secondary. I believe he lost a total of 7 players that would have started or gotten considerable playing time. So, if you just look at the scoreboard, you don’t know the complete story. Disappointing season, but a win Saturday vs. Washington puts them into the PAC-12 Championship game.

Also, he didn’t get to pick the staff he wanted at Oregon, as many were holdovers that Taggart didn’t take with him, but the AD wanted to retain. Needless to say, MC will build a staff with strong SEC ties. This man knows what it takes to recruit and he will put together a staff of guys who have been in the trenches in this conference and have made names for themselves.

Losses happen to the best of them. I'd say this guy could do both and he happens to loves Cristobal and wants Mario to be his replacement when he retires. That's a pretty damn good endorsement, IMO.

So this guy didn't have enough pride that he let the AD just about pick his staff.  That exactly what we need at Auburn is someone that will come in and let Jimmy Rane put in a nose ring and lead him around like a puppy. JABA 

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

So this guy didn't have enough pride that he let the AD just about pick his staff.  That exactly what we need at Auburn is someone that will come in and let Jimmy Rane put in a nose ring and lead him around like a puppy. JABA 

It'll be okay...it's not your fault

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Gus would be the Bear Bryant of Vanderbilt. 7-8 wins a season and Vamdy would feel like they’re a powerhouse.

I mean. It’s really right up his alley. 8-4 is great for Vandy, and it’s what Gus can do. Lol. 

16 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Hate to disagree with you again but it is all my fault that I am so intelligent.

...and witty

I think ya'll better fill out the information slips and put them in the suggestion box.....Just weighing some pros and cons, rumors, a cup of flour and 3 lbs of s*** together. We may have an interesting week next week. Va. Tech could turn out to be our friend. I laughed when I first heard this and thought that "they ain't that stupid!"...Yep, They just might be...That light folks are seeing in the tunnel may not be a train after all

47 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

I mean. It’s really right up his alley. 8-4 is great for Vandy, and it’s what Gus can do. Lol. 

Not at Vandy he can't.

41 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Not at Vandy he can't.

I know. What I’m getting at is that Vandy’s expectations are relatively low compared to our expectations at AU. I can see him going 5-7 with occasional upset wins, and he retires after a long(ish) career at Vandy. Lol. 

2 hours ago, woodford said:

I find it very difficult to believe that Gus would find success at Vanderbilt. That’s pretty much career suicide for someone like him. He can’t compete in the SEC. 

I’ve never understood why Vandy is so hard to win at.  Great school to sell the parents on, great city to sell the kids on, and even if you don’t make the NFL you get a Vandy education which will take you places.  If Stanford and other high end academic institutions can be successful then Vandy should be at least average.  You’re not going to get Bama recruits but you should be able to fill up the roster with enough tough smart kids that play as a team to win some games. 

21 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

After further research.... I realllyyyyyyy want Luke Fickell. That’s my #1 

What about him makes him numero uno?

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I’ve never understood why Vandy is so hard to win at.  Great school to sell the parents on, great city to sell the kids on, and even if you don’t make the NFL you get a Vandy education which will take you places.  If Stanford and other high end academic institutions can be successful then Vandy should be at least average.  You’re not going to get Bama recruits but you should be able to fill up the roster with enough tough smart kids that play as a team to win some games. 

I personally think that it’s because of the quality of athlete you pull from in the south. For the most part, the high school education levels in the south are lacking. Most of the kids who are good enough athletically to compete against Alabama, Auburn, UGA, etc aren’t going to do well academically at Vandy. You have a lot of rural kids who went to less than stellar high schools and are making it solely on their athletic ability. 

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

at Vandy, you have 8 games every year against the best athletes around that are not bound by academic restrictions.

at Stanford, most of your conference is similarly ranked academic institutions. It puts you on a much more level playing field than you have at Vandy.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What about him makes him numero uno?

He is a great recruiter and took Cincinnati out of the dump and turned them into a national contender. You can tell from pressers also that he’s very passionate about wanting to win. I can see why his players love him. His offenses are also crazy good 

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I personally think that it’s because of the quality of athlete you pull from in the south. For the most part, the high school education levels in the south are lacking. Most of the kids who are good enough athletically to compete against Alabama, Auburn, UGA, etc aren’t going to do well academically at Vandy. You have a lot of rural kids who went to less than stellar high schools and are making it solely on their athletic ability. 

Look what James Franklin did there though.    He’s a good not great coach but he moved mountains at Vandy.  I think it’s quality of coach they get.  Other examples are Wake Forest.  They do well from time to time in the ACC and I think are a smaller school than Vandy.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Look what James Franklin did there though.    He’s a good not great coach but he moved mountains at Vandy.  I think it’s quality of coach they get.  Other examples are Wake Forest.  They get do well from time to time.

Just goes to show you how talented of a coach James Franklin is when he’s motivated to do well. I think he’s gotten a little complacent at Penn St. 

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Just goes to show you how talented of a coach James Franklin is when he’s motivated to do well. I think he’s gotten a little complacent at Penn St. 

This season has definitely being surprising. I’m sure he’ll get it turned around for Auburn’s trip up there next season.

AU has to have their guy agree to job before we fire GM.  No need for that whole committee charade.  UGA had KS agree to take job before they fired MR.  I prefer Bo and Quentin Riggins take the lead and keep Harbert out of it.  

13 hours ago, Win4AU said:

The Vandy baseball team doesn't seem to have a problem making the CWS is a somewhat routine manner. Yes. it's a different sport with different type of athletes but it can be done.

I think if a good coach wanted to go to Vandy and stay there, he could probably win 7 games a year, and pop 9 wins every now and then.

PS: After all, the Vandy Women's Bowling Team won a national championship just a year or two ago. :)

13 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I think that it’s the NUMBER of quality athletes you need in football as well as the SEC level of competition. 2-3 really good guys in basketball and 2-3 good arms in baseball can have you competing at the highest level. You really need 40-50 high quality guys and particularly depth on both lines to really be competitive in football. With Vanderbilts academics they just can’t pull that off. They have also been able to play the scholarship game in baseball which has actually given them an advantage 

Archived