Poll: Where Do You Stand on Gus?

Zeek

How do you feel about Gus?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Gus as the Head Coach of Auburn football?

• Awesome, hope he's here for a long time to come
    • Good, he's our guy for now
    • Indifferent, he's not terrible but he's not great and I'm okay with that
    • Annoyed, it's not time to get rid of him yet we need to see more this season
    • Angry, he should be fired by the end of the season
    • Done, fire him tonight if possible
    • SPECIAL VOTE: Doesn't matter because you believe that we shouldn't get rid of him for external reasons (COVID, Buyout, No Better Options)

I know there are a few threads on this topic at this point but let's get a poll to really gauge where the AUFamily stands on this subject as of now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was looking for the option that said; I don't have a few mill to drop towards a buyout, so I'm struggling to just try and embrace the suck. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Was looking for the option that said; I don't have a few mill to drop towards a buyout, so I'm struggling to just try and embrace the suck. 🤷‍♂️

Sort of the last option's intent lol.

Still it seems Auburn could figure out the funding if they were really motivated to do so. Bet if fans quit going to the games and watching they would "find" the money real quick. Unfortunately, Auburn fans are nowhere near "fair weather".

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Sort of the last option's intent lol.

Still it seems Auburn could figure out the funding if they were really motivated to do so. Bet if fans quit going to the games and watching they would "find" the money real quick. Unfortunately, Auburn fans are nowhere near "fair weather".

That's the one I picked.

Best thing about Gus, no one is claiming any Auburn fan is a bandwagon fan anymore. :lol: 

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

Q: Where do you stand on Gus?

A: Next to the Mayflower truck with a clipboard.

He doesn't have to move... he can stay in Auburn and open his own Waffle House. Dude can be an Auburn lifer for all I care; just needs to hang up the Orange and Blue sweater vest.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He doesn't have to move... he can stay in Auburn and open his own Waffle House. Dude can be an Auburn lifer for all I care; just needs to hang up the Orange and Blue sweater vest.

I don't think Gus has too many friends at Auburn to stay. Sneaky yet smart dude. I give him that. 

I am in the boat of we are riding out his contract and barring a miracle season we will be going in a new direction.  I go through my routine per say for every game and will cheer on the Orange and Blue with everything I got.  Unfortunately my expectations and enthusiasm for the direction of the program have faded.  I liked the Chad Morris hirer because I knew it was the absolute best that Gus could get.  Bicknell, didn’t move much of the needle for me and I liked the O-line coaches hired within the division better, which disappointed me, but maybe he was the best that Gus could get.   It just is getting harder and harder to get excited and be optimistic with the direction of Gus’ program.  It feels as if it has peaked, the growth has stopped, we are trending towards a middle of the pack SEC West program, which nationally is still good, but you all know what I am getting at.   And even though we are trending as a middle of the pack SEC team, I am glad that at least Gus runs a solid program, does a great job of developing great men off the field and has been running a clean program.  I will just patiently wait for some new blood to enter the program and hope we make the right choice when it comes time to make that decision.

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I am in the boat of we are riding out his contract and barring a miracle season we will be going in a new direction.  I go through my routine per say for every game and will cheer on the Orange and Blue with everything I got.  Unfortunately my expectations and enthusiasm for the direction of the program have faded.  I liked the Chad Morris hirer because I knew it was the absolute best that Gus could get.  Bicknell, didn’t move much of the needle for me and I liked the O-line coaches hired within the division better, which disappointed me, but maybe he was the best that Gus could get.   It just is getting harder and harder to get excited and be optimistic with the direction of Gus’ program.  It feels as if it has peaked, the growth has stopped, we are trending towards a middle of the pack SEC West program, which nationally is still good, but you all know what I am getting at.   And even though we are trending as a middle of the pack SEC team, I am glad that at least Gus runs a solid program, does a great job of developing great men off the field and has been running a clean program.  I will just patiently wait for some new blood to enter the program and hope we make the right choice when it comes time to make that decision.

Sounds a lot like Doug Barfield back in the day....he only lasted 4 years.

Where do I stand on Gus? Wherever it hurts the most.

Just kidding. I wish the man no ill will at all. Even terminating his employment isn't a bad outcome for him. I just like puns. 

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It may be sad but I'm the closest I've ever been to just not watching Auburn football until Gus is gone. Even when we win we don't look good, prepared, or like we're coming out with fire in our belly. For my life Auburn football has been a sort of "escape" and fun thing to bring my family together once a week to have fun and cheer on the Auburn Tigers through thick and thin.

The problem is the effort isn't there on the field (minus a few players) or in the coaching. Gus' interviews after embarrassments alone have almost been enough for me to lite my torch and grab a pitchfork. Auburn football isn't fun anymore. We don't blow teams out, we never dominate teams, and we never have a full 4 quarters of consistent football.

Offense will play well one drive, but then the defense will look like swiss cheese right before halftime. Defense will look top tier for a few drives but then the offense goes 3 and out with mind boggling play calls, piss poor blocking, and overthrows on 3rd and short 60 yards down the field. Special teams have been largely irrelevant to serviceable for a while (Field Goal kicking has been okay not superb, kickoff has frustratingly been kicking it short of the goal line giving me a heart attack every time, Bo Nix has been our best punter in like 5+ years, and punt return has gotten back to the ole "just don't drop it and I'll be happy" mentality).

Everyone can keep telling me "we don't want to become Arkansas or Tennessee." Yeah, our Win-Loss record might be better than theirs but in the last 7 years or so we've been just as irrelevant in the big picture of things. Winning season, 4+ losses, no SEC championship since Nick Marshall miracle-d us to one, no playoff appearance, and we 100% should have beaten that FSU team in the Natty for Auburn's 2nd Natty within 3 years. 

I think Chad Morris will be gone before Gus especially if the offense continues to sputter.  I believe Gus will be hands off till the end and help him find a new job somewhere else.  Next season he’ll go back to calling and plays and it’ll be like 2019 again.  It’ll be his make or break year and he’s not going out letting someone else do the thing that he’s supposed to be good at. 

I'm obviously open to a new coach, just want to make sure we don't make fools of ourselves and fire Gus without securing the right replacement. None of this search committee nonsense. 

I would like to give it a full season to let Chad Morris and Jack Bicknell continue to coach and use their system.  Bicknell especially.  OL coaches need at least one year to be judged on their results, especially if they are working with guys the former coach brought in.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I would like to give it a full season to let Chad Morris and Jack Bicknell continue to coach and use their system.  Bicknell especially.  OL coaches need at least one year to be judged on their results, especially if they are working with guys the former coach brought in.

I do think we will improve a lot from season beginning to end. 

We just shouldn't be where we are in year eight. If we were in year three, I'd be much less frustrated. 

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Dang it ABW, you would !

How about complete apathy given the moronic buyout. I've been off the Gus bus since Sept. 2016. After finishing 2015 with a 2-6 conference record, good for dead last in the West, he plays QB roulette against Clemson in 2016 despite having all spring, and fall camp to decide who the QB should be. He should have been fired that night on the spot.

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't think that it is as much a coaching issue this year as it is a talent issue. I would say that at least 3 out of the 5 starters on the OL would be hard pressed to break into the starting line-up at most Sun Belt conf. schools. Gus has recruited pitifully along the OL front and it is rearing it's ugly head more than last year. Besides, I'm an "old school" believer that games are won in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. 

4 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I don't think that it is as much a coaching issue this year as it is a talent issue. I would say that at least 3 out of the 5 starters on the OL would be hard pressed to break into the starting line-up at most Sun Belt conf. schools. Gus has recruited pitifully along the OL front and it is rearing it's ugly head more than last year. Besides, I'm an "old school" believer that games are won in the trenches, on both sides of the ball. 

Oh I agree with you.  I think our poor line play is a reason why the rest of the offense and defense is not functioning.  With how much man Steele plays, the DL has to play well for him to be effective.  Same with the offense.  Morris could be calling perfect plays, but the line is not doing their job to help the running attack to keep defenses honest.  But I am in the camp to see what Bicknell can do with the OL.  He has not had enough time with them, even if it were a normal spring and summer.  6 months is not long at all for OL development. 

It's not easy for me to wish unemployment on anyone but Gus has a nice contract and he will be fine. I've been on and off the bus several and I'm not getting back on because the scenery never changes. I appreciate him doing so many things the right way but Saturdays have become uneventful for me as an Auburn football fan. I have never done this before in 50 years but I am off the Saturday and I'm actually trying to find something else to do during the game. I cant wait for basketball season. Thanks Gus. 

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I think Chad Morris will be gone before Gus especially if the offense continues to sputter.  I believe Gus will be hands off till the end and help him find a new job somewhere else.  Next season he’ll go back to calling and plays and it’ll be like 2019 again.  It’ll be his make or break year and he’s not going out letting someone else do the thing that he’s supposed to be good at. 

This post made me sick. He has "stopped" and "gone back to" calling plays so many times I'm starting to think it's the daggum hokey pokey of play calling.

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This post made me sick. He has "stopped" and "gone back to" calling plays so many times I'm starting to think it's the daggum hokey pokey of play calling.

I'm wondering when more people will realize that the issue isn't play calling. You can't play call around your whole offense playing like crap.

Not saying that we've had zero losses due to play calling. 2016 Clemson, 16 A&M, and 17 LSU come to mind. But the majority of Gus's lost have come from the other team being a better team. He's trying to beat defenses stacked with NFL talent with offenses that simply are not stacked with NFL talent.

We talk about play calling extensively Every. Singe. Loss. And I don't understand why. It's not the problem most of the time, nor is the scheme we're running.

It all comes back to recruiting. Georgia had much better players than us. Especially in the trenches.

Just now, copper4eva said:

I'm wondering when more people will realize that the issue isn't play calling. You can't play call around your whole offense playing like crap.

Not saying that we've had zero losses due to play calling. 2016 Clemson, 16 A&M, and 17 LSU come to mind. But the majority of Gus's lost have come from the other team being a better team. He's trying to beat defenses stacked with NFL talent with offenses that simply are not stacked with NFL talent.

We talk about play calling extensively Every. Singe. Loss. And I don't understand why. It's not the problem most of the time, nor is the scheme we're running.

It all comes back to recruiting. Georgia had much better players than us. Especially in the trenches.

Deep balls on 3rd and short kill a lot of drives for Auburn. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Archived