A (hopefully objective) look, three games in

JMR

• WarTiger changed the title to A (hopefully objective) look, three games in

In defense of Carlson, wasn't the wind very high when his two kicks went out of bounds?

I'd be interested to know how other teams with new coordinators have fared this year with no Spring to put in a new/revised system. LSU is obviously a team that is struggling, they have a new OC and DC I believe. 

Excellent point on the formations Chad used against UK that we haven’t seen since. I was pretty stoked seeing new alignments and motions we’ve not used before and we seemed to have success with them as well. We were more creative and clearly were not running the same ole crap. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JMR said:

The tight end has been almost as absent as ever in the passing game. I've heard that's because freshman Brandon Frazier has been injured, but we have other tight ends who are capable receivers.

Early in the Kentucky game, I noted that Chad Morris was using formations and motion to get the defensive alignment he wanted from Kentucky. I have seen virtually none of that since that point. So far, not impressed.

I'm sorry to bring it up here, but this has Gus written all over it. We've seen this same theme with players at every skill position since Gus has been here- an over-reliance on certain guys and a lack of trust in other guys- and we've also seen a couple season openers have some new looks and break tendencies, only to revert back to the same old stuff the next week. Feels like we're seeing it again, but I'm not well-versed enough in Xs and Os to know if that's the case, or if we're trying new stuff and it's just not working because of execution flaws. 

Either way, I refuse to believe that we don't have more talent than the on-field results suggest. 

Thanks as always for your awesome, candid analysis, Coach!

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JMR said:
Like pretty much everyone here, I've been disappointed so far. But having spent thousands of hours watching and re-watching film/tape/digital recordings of hormonal high school boys learning the game (and life), I understand at least a little about where we are at this point.

Thanks Coach and stick with those young kids, you're grooming them into young men.  :bow:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm sorry to bring it up here, but this has Gus written all over it. We've seen this same theme with players at every skill position since Gus has been here- an over-reliance on certain guys and a lack of trust in other guys- and we've also seen a couple season openers have some new looks and break tendencies, only to revert back to the same old stuff the next week. Feels like we're seeing it again, but I'm not well-versed enough in Xs and Os to know if that's the case, or if we're trying new stuff and it's just not working because of execution flaws. 

Either way, I refuse to believe that we don't have more talent than the on-field results suggest. 

Thanks as always for your awesome, candid analysis, Coach!

I'm not well versed in X's and O's either, but I know a sideways pass when I see it. I see the same ole passes to static targets. I see the non-use of the TE.  That has Gus written all over it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"But, the uga game is, unfortunately, a solid indicator of where we are in terms of talent, execution, and coaching when trying to compete with what we like to think are our "peers".

:bow:

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

More on Anders launching kickoffs out of bounds twice when he virtually never does it once in a game. At first I thought he was having a really off night but then Arky hit two out too not even close to the endzone. I've never HEARD of 4 kickoffs going out if bounds accidentally in the same college game, and it wasn't THAT windy. Leading me to think they were intentional in a close game with a wet surface (harder to react to a kick returner's cut on wet surface). 

I'm a thinkin'.

Edited by AuburnFast

Excellent assessment of the state of the team.  It all starts on the offensive and defensive line of scrimmage. A Gus offense can be somewhat effective with a good offensive line.  With a struggling offensive line it just looks horrible. 

• Like 1

Quick question Coach. What do YOU think of WR play/ possibilities outside of Seth and Anthony S.?  Thanks in advance Coach. 

Tim, watching Game One, I felt like the WR group was gonna be a strength of the team, with some experienced guys and some very capable newcomers. I have been a little disappointed with the progress since then.  The blocking effort has actually been pretty stellar, but the route-running and actual receiving has been more spotty than I expected, and the newbies have apparently dropped out of the plan. I can certainly understand some hesitation about playing the rookies (like Capers) against uga, in only the second game, but how else are they going to contribute and improve their skills? Bottom line, there have been multiple factors at play affecting the "performance" of the WR group, including poor pass protection, Bo missing open receivers and/or not seeing open receivers, dropped balls that were catchable, and occasional predictability, wherein our personnel and alignment revealed the planned play.  Truthfully, although we don't like to consider it, it's still early, and things (at every position) are likely to change, either for better, or for worse. Time will tell.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JMR said:

Tim, watching Game One, I felt like the WR group was gonna be a strength of the team, with some experienced guys and some very capable newcomers. I have been a little disappointed with the progress since then.  The blocking effort has actually been pretty stellar, but the route-running and actual receiving has been more spotty than I expected, and the newbies have apparently dropped out of the plan. I can certainly understand some hesitation about playing the rookies (like Capers) against uga, in only the second game, but how else are they going to contribute and improve their skills? Bottom line, there have been multiple factors at play affecting the "performance" of the WR group, including poor pass protection, Bo missing open receivers and/or not seeing open receivers, dropped balls that were catchable, and occasional predictability, wherein our personnel and alignment revealed the planned play.  Truthfully, although we don't like to consider it, it's still early, and things (at every position) are likely to change, either for better, or for worse. Time will tell.

Thanks Coach. 

2 hours ago, JMR said:

I can certainly understand some hesitation about playing the rookies (like Capers) against uga, in only the second game, but how else are they going to contribute and improve their skills?

This is the mindset I do not understand from the staff (I guess). On one hand, we are told that the staff and PTB regard this season as a free ride and that the record doesn’t ultimately matter but on the other hand we aren’t using the opportunity to maximum benefit to get guys game experience. My sense is that the vast majority of the fan base have their opinion of Gus and the results of this season aren’t much going to change them. I know you want to win every game but, if you’re playing with house money, why not let it rip? 

Edited by fredst

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

This is the mindset I do not understand from the staff (I guess). On one hand, we are told that the staff and PTB regard this season as a free ride and that the record doesn’t ultimately matter but in the other hand we aren’t using the opportunity to maximum benefit to get guys game experience. My sense is that the vast majority of the fan base have their opinion of Gus and the results of this season aren’t much going to change them. I know you want to win every game but, if you’re playing with house money, why not let it rip? 

More Gus refusing to trust the people around him. You get an occasional out-of-the-box hero like KJ, Derrick Brown or Tank, or more likely a young guy is forced into action due to depth issues, but otherwise he just doesn't trust playmakers to make plays unless he likes them for some other reason. Joey Gatewood and I just texted about this and he agrees. He sent me a bunch of emojis that I didn't understand because he's a young man and I still post on Facebook sometimes but I did understand the thrust of his communique. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Like you I saw some improvement in O-Line the feet movement after contact on occasion and more importantly less missed assignments. I totally agree that LB has digressed, we don't disguise our blitz's very well. Total lack of use of TE's is passing game and basically not using middle of the field in passing game. Almost all passes to backs are only east west passes we never let them turn up field before passing to them. I was more disappointed in D-line then you coach. I  didn't think we controlled the edge and very little pressure on QB unless we blitzed. Finally Bo seems to play in panic mode leaving pocket early instead of stepping up, when being sacked has come close to lose ball by trying ridiculous throws that have been close to fumbles, losing the snap on the next to last play then panicking and instead of kneeling or throwing ball away forward throws it behind himself.  O-Line and not using TE and middle of field may be part of the panic but a lot is on Bo.

I have been a Bo fan but the reality he is not doing well.

• Like 2

On the OL....I agree that the line looks like it can be a more productive group. I read today, that early on in the practices up to the season opener, the virus positives we had affected the OL group the most. ANd I can believe that not having consistent OL practices had to create a problem, especially since all of the OL, except for Brahms, we were going to start new players.

On the WRs....I expect to have inconsistencies with all the FReshmen, but there has to be plays called to get them chances. In the Ark game, we only completed passes to 2 WRs, and i feel only targeted those same receivers. When we had a comfortable lead early, this is the time to at least give the new WRs some targets to get them experience.

On the TEs....I don't get it. Even though, we HEARD that we were going to use the FR Frazier but with his injury, we have simply not attempted to throw to them, or target them. Shenaker is a good hands guy, why can't there be plays to get him the ball? Is Deal not able to catch a pass? We have all the TEs but still hear we don't have the kind that can catch. BS.

QB.....Bo still struggles, and at times looks just like he did last year. Leaves the pocket prematurely still at times. Is inaccurate at times on even short passes. Does he look for his progressions? I still don't know. Some of this is still due to OL collapses. But he still seems to only perfrom well when it crisis time( end of game). We need him to manage drives better.

OC/Morris....I have seen like the OP at times great schemes and good play calling that uses all parts of the offense, but then it disappears like it did in the ARK game. No slants, No passes to TEs, No streaks or deep throws to AS for some reason this game. He did a good job of getting the ball to AS (10 balls), but still need to see curls and plays attacking the middle.

This is just my offensive thoughts.

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

On the OL....I agree that the line looks like it can be a more productive group. I read today, that early on in the practices up to the season opener, the virus positives we had affected the OL group the most. ANd I can believe that not having consistent OL practices had to create a problem, especially since all of the OL, except for Brahms, we were going to start new players.

On the WRs....I expect to have inconsistencies with all the FReshmen, but there has to be plays called to get them chances. In the Ark game, we only completed passes to 2 WRs, and i feel only targeted those same receivers. When we had a comfortable lead early, this is the time to at least give the new WRs some targets to get them experience.

On the TEs....I don't get it. Even though, we HEARD that we were going to use the FR Frazier but with his injury, we have simply not attempted to throw to them, or target them. Shenaker is a good hands guy, why can't there be plays to get him the ball? Is Deal not able to catch a pass? We have all the TEs but still hear we don't have the kind that can catch. BS.

QB.....Bo still struggles, and at times looks just like he did last year. Leaves the pocket prematurely still at times. Is inaccurate at times on even short passes. Does he look for his progressions? I still don't know. Some of this is still due to OL collapses. But he still seems to only perfrom well when it crisis time( end of game). We need him to manage drives better.

OC/Morris....I have seen like the OP at times great schemes and good play calling that uses all parts of the offense, but then it disappears like it did in the ARK game. No slants, No passes to TEs, No streaks or deep throws to AS for some reason this game. He did a good job of getting the ball to AS (10 balls), but still need to see curls and plays attacking the middle.

This is just my offensive thoughts.

Agree with opinions. Also, has Bo been instructed to not take a sack under ANY circumstances? Appears that way and at times makes the entire offense look just plain bad. 

14 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Agree with opinions. Also, has Bo been instructed to not take a sack under ANY circumstances? Appears that way and at times makes the entire offense look just plain bad. 

I don't think so. I think Bo has operated this way even last year. I think the problem could be he has never had to deal with being sacked in HS (I recall a stat that he never was sacked in HS). 

I think he just doesn't want to stay in that pocket. I have seen QBs who don't feel the pocket well, become gunshy. The great QBs know how to slide or makes the throw even when he knows he is getting ready to get hit. 

Bo, so far, is not one of them. He feels he can escape and run away from the breakdown. Even if it is premature. 

21 hours ago, tigerrules said:

Excellent assessment of the state of the team.  It all starts on the offensive and defensive line of scrimmage. A Gus offense can be somewhat effective with a good offensive line.  With a struggling offensive line it just looks horrible. 

I agree we need continued improvement from our o line, but this is clearly Chad’s offense although it hasn’t all been installed yet.