2022 4* C Sage Tolentino Commits to Cincinnati

ellitor

image.png

Had offers from Kansas & Cincy plus major interest from UK.

Promising junior big man commits to Auburn

By Mark Murphy

A seven-foot center who led Marynoll High School of Honolulu to a basketball state high school championship in Hawaii last season as a sophomore has committed to Coach Bruce Pearl’s Auburn Tigers. Sage Tolentino announced on Thursday that he plans to play for the Tigers for the 2022-23 season.

Tolentino chose Auburn over Kansas and Kentucky.  Last season he averaged 13.5 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocked shots per game for Maryknoll High. An All-State selection, he was named the defensive player of the year in his state as a sophomore after helping his team to the Division 1 state title for a second consecutive year.

With high school teams not being allowed to compete or practice due restrictions by officials in that state as a response to the COVID19 outbreak, he is expected to play for Hamilton High School in Ohio for the 2020-21 season as a junior. The class of 2022 prospect has been working out in Ohio with Griffin Elite, a basketball training program.

"My family and I have prayed about this day since I was a kid,"  Tolentino said in making his announcement.  "I am beyond blessed and I give God all the Glory. Auburn University's core traditions are passion and spirit and they are exactly the program I want to spend my time at developing at the next level. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger. War Eagle!"

The new Auburn commitment got the attention of the Tigers, Wildcats and Jayhawks with his combination of mobility, size and good shooting touch. He has range beyond the three-point line, something Pearl likes to see in all of his players, regardless of position.

After receiving a scholarship offer from Auburn on Oct. 6th, Tolentino posted this on his social media account: “I am humbled and honored to receive an offer from Coach Pearl and the entire Auburn family. All glory to God.”

Tolentino is Auburn’s first commitment for the 2022 class and the second commitment in the past week. Last Friday the Tigers received big news when the No. 1 ranked power forward in the 2021 class, Jabari Smith from Sandy Creek High School Tyrone, Ga., chose Auburn.

9972550.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Sage Tolentino (rear) is shown with his Maryknoll High basketball teammates.

Auburn’s new commitment also played volleyball at Marynoll on a team coached by his father, Grant Tolentino, although the team’s sophomore season was cancelled due to the pandemic.

His mother, Becky Tolentino, told Hawaii Prep World that her son has been tall his entire life. “He grew about four or five inches every year in elementary school,” she said.

After Auburn offered the high school junior a scholarship, he told Hawaii Prep World, “I am excited and feel so humbled to have received an offer from the SEC conference. I have been in contact with them for awhile. Coach (Wes) Flanigan and Coach Pearl have been great to get to know and have become family. We talk a lot of basketball and a lot of family and food. My parents just keep smiling and are beyond blessed for the continued blessings that God is graciously offering me. They continue to be at a loss for words.”

Hawaii big man commits to Auburn

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports
Senior Editor

Auburn has added its first commitment in the 2022 class, and it went to the middle of the Pacific Ocean to get it.

bytagdcy3akg9qwhfonr

"My family and I have prayed about this day since I was a kid," Tolentino wrote on his Instagram account. "I am beyond blessed and I give God all the Glory.

"Auburn University's core traditions are passion and spirit and they are exactly the program I want to spend my time at developing at the next level. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger."

Tolentino, who was an all-state selection as a sophomore, chose Auburn over offers from Kansas, Cincinnati and Tennessee State. He also was receiving heavy interest from Kentucky, Georgia and USC, among others.

Tolentino has helped lead Maryknoll High School to back-to-back Hawaii state championships. In 2019-20, his sophomore season, he averaged 13.5 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game.

• Thanks 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 NR C Sage Tolentino Commits to AU!!!

Super looking player. He doesn't play like he's 7 foot. 

Wonder how we connected with him out in Hawaii to begin with and did his commitment come as a surprise? 

I guess Gleague will be our adversary. Another Filipino, Soto, opted for the Gleague this year I think...

But Gus did very well. 

4**** BAAAAAAAAAY BAAAAAAY!!!! COUNT EM UP!!! 1,2,3,4!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!!!!!! 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2022/sage-tolentino-269660

weew.gif

Offers from Kansas and Kentucky...Oh yeah Bruce is going to develop the hell out of this kid. 7 foot at 15 years old lol is he going to be like 7'3 by the time he graduates HS???

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Wonder how we connected with him out in Hawaii to begin with and did his commitment come as a surprise? 

@steeleagleNot sure about how it got started but per Mark Murphy's article in the OP Coach Flannigan had been on him for months. And not a surprise. Keith & JLee were hinting at it yesterday.

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I guess Gleague will be our adversary. Another Filipino, Soto, opted for the Gleague this year I think...

Not sure but I don't think so. He's expected to be a 4*, not 5 when the sites rate him. Soto opted for the G League because he couldn't qualify for his top colleges this year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

4**** BAAAAAAAAAY BAAAAAAY!!!! COUNT EM UP!!! 1,2,3,4!!! LETS GOOOOO!!!!!!!! 

Lol. He must have just gotten rated in the past 20 minutes since I had checked.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Offers from Kansas and Kentucky...Oh yeah Bruce is going to develop the hell out of this kid. 7 foot at 15 years old lol is he going to be like 7'3 by the time he graduates HS???

Has major interest from UK, not an offer...yet.

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 4* C Sage Tolentino Commits to AU!!!
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Has major interest from UK, not an offer...yet.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  Will likely need to hold them off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, fishepa said:

I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  Will likely need to hold them off.

*KNOCK ON WOOD STILL* But good thing there is a lot more loyalty from commits in basketball than football. A lot less decommits.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagleNot sure about how it got started but per Mark Murphy's article in the OP Coach Flannigan had been on him for months. And not a surprise. Keith & JLee were hinting at it yesterday.

Not sure but I don't think so. He's expected to be a 4*, not 5 when the sites rate him. Soto opted for the G League because he couldn't qualify for his top colleges this year.

Tolentino has been training with Sotto, seems possible that led to the Auburn connection. 

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/kai-sotto-on-big-brother-relationship-with-fellow-seven-footer-sage-tolentino-a791-20201004

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Breaking: Auburn has landed the commitment of Filipino big man Sage Tolentino, a source told @Stockrisers.

Statements like this are really funny when the kids posts the commitment themselves on insta or twitter.
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Big pick up. Hope we get him on campus!

If Cole's happy about a recruit then E's happy too. lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kid looks smooth and has a nice touch! I feel for those poor little people that are being forced to play against him. Man amongst boys to be sure!

I love the size we are adding to our program but to me it’s not the size that’s so important, it’s the fact that these kids can move their feet!!!

• Love 1

Impressed with his athleticism for his size and age.  Even more impressed with his game for his size and age.  Excited to follow his development over the next two years.