Should there be a quarterback change?

shabby

15 hours ago, TNCANEMAN said:

If you look at this team objectively, it's not that hard to beat our offense. We barely run the ball, so in turn there is really only 2 options for the defense to contend with. All you have to do is bracket Seth Williams because Bo doesn't look at anyone else. Also the offense seems very Cam Newton esc with all the one read and go's. So with no running threat and only one receiver targeted past the LOS, the questions flips from a Nix problem to whether or not the offense is even salvageable. While QB may seem like the problem, the offense is stuck in 2012. Whose fault it lies with remains to be seen because it seems a combo of scheme and QB limitations.

Don't let anybody fool you, you're right that the QB doesn't make reads. None of them really was awesome at it

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes last year in the Florida game now Hell to the no as bad as Bo is the other 3 put together isn't a decent qb. All the possible starters transfer because of Daddy's boy and little brother coming behind him.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nah you shouldn't do anything but keep posting those great responses you do. Most people on here just post about qb play and don't know what they are saying anyway, what's one more person, whatever metric you'd like to make up is good here I'm sure

Thanks bro... I guess when you you said stats, I thought you meant statistics.  My bad.  Silly me.  

I do think Bo should have been pulled after the 3rd pick. He fell apart and there was no coming back. As far as the future goes, I think you keep Nix in and take away as much opportunity for him to f up as possible. Just run the hell out of the ball. Shades of 2013. We should be running Tank, DJ, and Shivers like 80% of the game with Bo keeping it on reads. Find ways to get Shwartz involved in the run game. Use Stove, Seth, Capers and Pegues for short play action passes over the LB’s. Throw like 3 passes a game that are over 20 yards. And just hope for the best. I don’t know if Loy is better than Bo or not. But after watching Chizik make 3 switches in the 2012 season, I’m just not convinced that putting Loy in will do anything but destroy the team even more. Maybe it’s PTSD. 

I think we have to ride 2020 out with Bo, and really give DDavis a shot at becoming our QB in 2021.  And somehow Gus gets gone after this year.

Sorry if this opinion has already been given, but I'm just getting in on this conversation.

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's not true at all. Just look at the stats. JJ just got the unfortunate auburn myth of being horrible like Thorpe and a few others did. JJ really has just one bad game and it was over

You and I don't see eye to eye on JJ's performance, but Bo has been at least as bad as most of us thought JJ was several times the last couple seasons. And he absolutely should've been benched against Florida last year and he should've been benched this past Saturday. 

But Gus has never been great at realizing that something isn't working and making a change to try to fix it. And by "not great" I mean he's the worst I've ever seen. 

Actually if I was Bo's father, I would be seriously discussing the transfer portal. This season does not affect eligibility and Bo would be better off elsewhere if he has any pro aspirations.

22 minutes ago, auskull said:

Actually if I was Bo's father, I would be seriously discussing the transfer portal. This season does not affect eligibility and Bo would be better off elsewhere if he has any pro aspirations.

I agree. At this point, Gus doesn’t deserve any player with any set of pro skills. He’s squandered away so many guy’s natural abilities. If I woke up tomorrow morning and saw that Tank, Seth, and Bo had left the team I wouldn’t even be surprised. 

27 minutes ago, auskull said:

It's amazing to me these recruits and parents don't study the system their kids will be playing in before they commit. The Nix family has had years of study to see Gus doesn't build passing QB's for the next level very well.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

It's amazing to me these recruits and parents don't study the system their kids will be playing in before they commit. The Nix family has had years of study to see Gus doesn't build passing QB's for the next level very well.

Some of these kids dream about playing for certain schools. It is rare but it does happen. Kid dreamed about wearing the O and B since he was born. I admire that. 

I will admit I am extremely biased because I really like Bo Nix.  So I would still start him, but if he throws more interceptions like that I would bench him.  You can tell Nix is a gamer and desperately wants every single win and has what it takes to be one of the best.  I think this game he just tried to take way too many risks.

One thing to also remember, with the pandemic Bo really has not been able to learn from Chad.  Think about it, when did he have the opportunity?  Auburn was allowed to practice for the first time this year in July.  On top of that Bo Nix did not have any of Fall camp to work and build trust with his OL because of COVID-19 sicknesses and injuries.  This really has been a perfect storm for him.

I do think the last few games we were a little unfair to Bo on his throwaways and refusing to take a sack, even if penalized for it.  I remember in the Stidham years we were saying the exact opposite.  Honestly if I were Chad, I would say just stay in the pocket even if it means you get sacked.  This would help him realize how much time he truly does have behind this line.  I think he just has bad memories from last year.

A good analogy is if anyone has ever rock climbed.  You think you might not have good hand strength until you are hanging up there and you are surprised how long your hands can cling to the rock.  Navy Seals do something similar to help you realize how long you can stay underwater before passing out.  If Bo realizes "Hey, these guys are much better than last year" he will stay in the pocket longer.

The quickest way, it seems, to help Bo, is to take the pressure off of him a little and rely on our ridiculously talented running back to open up some opportunities for Bo. Last week looked like an air raid and once Bo felt the pressure, he crumbled.

Also, Seth Williams catching that pass in the Oregon game was possibly the worst thing that could have happened to Bo. He relies on Seth and trusts him at a completely different level than any other WR. I feel like, as great of a talent as Seth is, the offense would be more well rounded without him, because it would force our QB to no rely on him.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The quickest way, it seems, to help Bo, is to take the pressure off of him a little and rely on our ridiculously talented running back to open up some opportunities for Bo. Last week looked like an air raid and once Bo felt the pressure, he crumbled.

and by "felt pressure" you meant took the snap?  sure the line has been porous but now it's in his head. See the last play of the game. he saw a flash of maroon and that was it. game over. problem was, the line actually did a decent job.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

So we're ready to admit that Bo has his part as far as the team being trash now?

You know there are some still trying to make up excuses but for the most part, yeah, I think we're finally getting closer to an honest discussion.

You know what's funny, though? I think a lot of folks are more upset about his performance on the sideline than on the field. (I have to admit, though, that I get a little pissed off thinking about a kid playing that badly and then yelling at other people.)

So we're ready to admit that Bo has his part as far as the team being trash now?

Yea after the showing vs Arky and SC where Bo had time and maybe terrible decisions, I am fully willing to admit that he’s regressing. Up until the end of the Georgia game, I didn’t feel like Bo’s f ups were caused by him. Oursife of Florida last year. But he’s had two realllly bad weeks.

5 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

and by "felt pressure" you meant took the snap?  sure the line has been porous but now it's in his head. See the last play of the game. he saw a flash of maroon and that was it. game over. problem was, the line actually did a decent job.

Felt the pressure as in “was asked to win the game with his passing, tossed a couple of picks, and then had to dig himself out with more passing”.  Not defensive pressure. Not last week, at least.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know there are some still trying to make up excuses but for the most part, yeah, I think we're finally getting closer to an honest discussion.

You know what's funny, though? I think a lot of folks are more upset about his performance on the sideline than on the field. (I have to admit, though, that I get a little pissed off thinking about a kid playing that badly and then yelling at other people.)

I've come to learn that all of my bad arguments has happened because I say things early. Instead of it being celebrated it's causes animosity. But now we can start having adult convos, I was trying to have it too early.

And not only you, yelling at people when your performance is trash, one of the quickest ways to lose the team. 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I've come to learn that all of my bad arguments has happened because I say things early. Instead of it being celebrated it's causes animosity. But now we can start having adult convos, I was trying to have it too early.

And not only you, yelling at people when your performance is trash, one of the quickest ways to lose the team. 

I’ll be the first to admit that after Arky and SC, your Bo issues are completely warranted. When I argued with you after the Georgia game, I was basing my faith in Bo off of his performance last season, and against Kentucky and Georgia. I felt like, even though he wasn’t perfect, Bo did a solid job last year and showed a lot of promise. The Kentucky game was about the same feeing, and I still don’t feel like the Georgia game was on him, because the line was getting blown off the ball every play. Now I see that even if he had decent protection against Georgia, he probably still would have f’ed up, because he seems to be regressing quickly. 

And that's definitely where we are now. That's what we saw Saturday. 

I wonder if we'll hear about a players-only meeting led by the seniors. But I don't think we will. For a lot of reasons. Doesn't help that Worm and KJ have been on the shelf.

Anyway. The signs where there last year. They've been flashing neon signs all this season. Seems like it's too late, though. 

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've seen some of that too. I have a working theory about Bo that I may be way off base on, but would make sense based on my experiences growing up around and playing with coach's kids. But, its not one I'm comfortable sharing on this board. 

To me it’s not so much a QB change, it’s a give another guy a chance.    This is what a lot of anger is towards the way JG was handled.   Just give someone else a chance in real game time.   And I don’t mean certain packages!  Run the team and be given the entire playbook.   

Archived