Should there be a quarterback change?

shabby

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Smh. Bro this season is a wrap 😂

I agree with this season being a wrap.  The only chance we have of winning games is with a less erratic Bo at QB.  The question is how do we go about making that happen.  Thoughts?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cole has been right for a while about Bo.  I can't say who was better between him and Joey last year as we never saw Joey no matter how bad a game Bo was playing. Florida comes to mind. Then Joey was gone so rest of last year no real option.  Bo is an adequate runner and can pick up a 1st down with his legs but is not the type of runner who will take it to the house so D has to watch him for the run but not fear him. Last weeks offense while still not using TE's enough was close to what many have been asking for slants and passes over the middle and O-Line was decent but not great in pass blocking. Multiple times he had a solid pocket but with tackles riding DE's past bo but as soon as Bo saw them he rolled instead of stepping up in pocket and helping OT.. On first interception Bo rolled left and OT saw it and stopped the DE in his tracks from following Bo. Because SC had their backs turned nobody in front of Bo was coming at him. He had time to stop set his feet and make a good throw instead he threw on the run did not square his shoulders and ball sailed about 2-3 yards right of his receiver straight to the defender. At that point if he didn't see anybody open pick up 5 yards of the 15 we need and punt and pin SC inside their 20 which while not exciting also does not allow SC back in the game.

Bo is tough he runs hard and he tries he gives it his all.  But unless he can calm down and make good decisions he will never even be close to what some thought. Bo's strength as QB is getting set and throwing when he does that he has a pretty ball.  He needs a little Stan White in him. Like or don't like Stan White he would stand in the pocket to last second to make a good throw even if he was about to be crushed.

Loy has been through Fall camp and been on the sidelines for 4 games he is a Grad Transfer who has started so has some experience, he is big and in watching some of his highlights he is tough. Give him a chance. I am tired of hearing coaches have watched both and decided Bo is better.  You never know how good somebody is until they are playing in a game.  Some guys just play better when the actual games starts just like some guys are great practice players but when the real game starts go into a shell. 

Right now the way Bo is playing we won't win many more games maybe Loy is not the answer but I still want to see and give him a chance to see if he is. 

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I would take Bo over JJ, mainly because he doesn't seem afraid of contact.

My point is that if JJ were playing in 2020 as his first year as starter, and started off looking like Bo Nix, he would be pulled for Sean White. 

Because Bo has a couple factors that have very little to do with football working in his favor, he will not be pulled. 

Again, Bo is better than JJ, but given the history of his inconsistencies, I don't know why he isn't given similar treatment. Last year's Iron Bowl is giving Bo too much of a leash with some of our folks. 

You must not have watched the games when JJ was starting. He kept his job until the Kentucky game, the 5th game of the year. JJ should have been pulled in the Jax State game.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:57 PM, AUTigerTime said:

All you have to do is look at what happened to end the last game. He literally spiked the ball backwards. 

He's lost ALL composure as a QB. I've honestly never seen a QB so out of his mind rattled. His accuracy and decision making has gotten worse. He's yelling at teammates and coaches alike. He's diving at opponents after plays are over because he gets bumped by them.

He's unstable and at a position that requires composure/leadership, he's failing miserably. The team is following his lead in lack of composure. 

Spot on 

In regards to Bo and his problems, this is a spot on comment on what Bo is doing by Cole Cubelic. 

Especially his comment that Bo "There never seems to be a moment of calm with Bo Nix,”

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/10/cole-cubelic-on-if-bo-nix-has-regressed-ever-see-qb-where-every-play-was-panic-induced.html

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

In regards to Bo and his problems, this is a spot on comment on what Bo is doing by Cole Cubelic. 

Especially his comment that Bo "There never seems to be a moment of calm with Bo Nix,”

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/10/cole-cubelic-on-if-bo-nix-has-regressed-ever-see-qb-where-every-play-was-panic-induced.html

I'm glad they made a GIF out of the last play. That says it all.

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

You must not have watched the games when JJ was starting. He kept his job until the Kentucky game, the 5th game of the year. JJ should have been pulled in the Jax State game.

He actually was pulled after LSU (where he had 3 TDs and a pick) and Sean started against MSU in week 4. He was given 3 games and he stunk it up in those 3. Bo has been given 4 games and has stunk it up in those 4.

Bo is better than Jeremy, but why can't Bo be held accountable in the same manner? It's a legit question. 

Jeremy deserved to be pulled after 3, but so does Bo. 

Also make sure you know what you are talking about before you claim that someone else must have not seen the games, it's a bad look. 

4 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Has Gus ever pulled a QB during the game? I thought he should have pulled him the UGA game.

Clempson game he pulled them all night

We're basically running a less coherent version of Texas A&M's 2012-2013 "hero ball" offense but with a Dollar General brand version of Johnny Manziel. A QB change without an accompanying play calling philosophy change would be about as effective as trying to put out an apartment fire with a Super Soaker. 

Not sure why anyone was expecting improvement on quarterback play while Gus is the coach, it has never happened before, not sure why this year would be different.  Kinda like not recruiting legit D1 offensive tackles and being surprised when the o-line is the team weakness 8 straight seasons.

3 hours ago, casatiger said:

I agree with this season being a wrap.  The only chance we have of winning games is with a less erratic Bo at QB.  The question is how do we go about making that happen.  Thoughts?

Make things as simple as possible for him. I actually think he may be too far gone, to not understand you have to throw the ball last game at the end was CRAZY to me. I really don't know how to fix him, I've been pointing out since last year how he has horrible mechanics and his lack of fundamentals was scary. I mean he just has to try to build confidence when we play the suck teams. Pretty much what we've been doing that let so many be fooled.....and he has to practice and study for real and not it just be talk because it sound good

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

to not understand you have to throw the ball last game at the end was CRAZY to me.

I don't think we've talked about that enough. That was even (far?) worse than the fumble spike. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think we've talked about that enough. That was even (far?) worse than the fumble spike. 

I think the last play was kind of an amalgamation of most of the offensive issues. I say most because the O line protection was pretty good until the QB panicked and everything broke down.  Had #3 run to the middle and hide behind a LB, the other WR's didn't do much to get open and Schwartz who was open for a second was running away from Nix. Nix already has issues with hitting a moving target much less one moving away at such a shallow angle. A dart or even good finesse throw that Schwartz and only Schwartz could run and get would have been 6 points

15 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Clempson game he pulled them all night

So the secret to success is to let the full back play QB???

Looking back that game is so cringe. Playing against the team who made it to the NCG the previous year and you put in a full back in at QB thinking it would work. Good god this clown show has been going on since the Obama administration. 

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

So the secret to success is to let the full back play QB???

Looking back that game is so cringe. Playing against the team who made it to the NCG the previous year and you put in a full back in at QB thinking it would work. Good god this clown show has been going on since the Obama administration. 

The most clear and obvious example of Gus coaching scared I've ever seen. He didn't think he had the horses to beat them man to man so he tried... whatever that was. Literally backed out of the game plan they'd installed and repped at the last minute. What a gutless, chicken**** job of coaching that was. Imagine the message that sent to his players. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The most clear and obvious example of Gus coaching scared I've ever seen. He didn't think he had the horses to beat them man to man so he tried... whatever that was. Literally backed out of the game plan they'd installed and repped at the last minute. What a gutless, chicken**** job of coaching that was. Imagine the message that sent to his players. 

What’s even more pathetic is that game came down to the last play. They had an actual shot at winning. That was so frustrating to watch. 

17 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Probably due to the amount of information Morris has thrown at him. Has anyone seen the play card Morris carries on the sideline? It's huge. I believe right now the issue is Morris throwing to much at Nix and Nix making bad decisions (playing bad). Maybe trimming the playbook will help.

15 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Not sure why anyone was expecting improvement on quarterback play while Gus is the coach, it has never happened before, not sure why this year would be different.  Kinda like not recruiting legit D1 offensive tackles and being surprised when the o-line is the team weakness 8 straight seasons.

Actually I've  noticed improvement in the offensive line over the last few weeks. It's the defensive line I'm worried about second to the quarterback position.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, AuburnEagle79 said:

You are potentially correct, but another QB may not make bad decisions when he has to avoid the pass rush. If I recall correctly, two of Bo's picks today came while scrambling out of the pocket. A sack would've been beneficial for us in those circumstances.

Would the other QB still be hamstring due to coaching and OL inconsistencies? Of course, but if he had good decision making abilities, he would have given us the edge today. 

A sack also would've helped us on the intentional grounding at the end. All of those decisions were on Bo, not Gus or the OL. 

Not to defend the QB, he played like crap. But intentional grounding is not any more penalizing than a sack. At least you have a chance to save yards. It might even help save clock in most instances. I have no problem getting IG calls if a sack is imminent. 

On 10/17/2020 at 6:08 PM, Amwest20 said:

Bo showed a side of himself today that I didn’t expect from him.  I don’t know that it’s true but it seemed as if he wasn’t owning his mistakes and was quick to point the blame elsewhere.  Am I the only one who got that vibe?  I thought he was more of a humble person.  

I am disappointed in this too. I don’t know how much better his play will improve but I would bet money the attitude will. 

51 minutes ago, creed said:

Probably due to the amount of information Morris has thrown at him. Has anyone seen the play card Morris carries on the sideline? It's huge. I believe right now the issue is Morris throwing to much at Nix and Nix making bad decisions (playing bad). Maybe trimming the playbook will help.

While I agree that throwing 47 times is way too many when you have the lead most of the game. And maybe would have been more if Bo hadn't decided to escape the pocket too many times again.

Bo is still doing Bo things that limit his playmaking ability. He is doing some of the same things he did last year when Morris wasn't here. So I'm not going to blame Morris other than he relied too much on Bo.

30 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not to defend the QB, he played like crap. But intentional grounding is not any more penalizing than a sack. At least you have a chance to save yards. It might even help save clock in most instances. I have no problem getting IG calls if a sack is imminent. 

You may be right. I was under the impression that we lost 10 yards, loss of down, and a 10 second run-off. At that point a sack may have only been a 5 yard loss and still probably would've took 10 seconds off getting lined up. I'd honestly prefer neither lol

9 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

You may be right. I was under the impression that we lost 10 yards, loss of down, and a 10 second run-off. At that point a sack may have only been a 5 yard loss and still probably would've took 10 seconds off getting lined up. I'd honestly prefer neither lol

I think the nfl is a ten yard penalty. College is a spot and loss of down. But just loss of the down you are playing. Some folks think you lose the next down too.lol.  There is a ten second run off. But the clock stops on the flag and starts at ready for play whistle. So you actually save a lot of time as opposed to a sack. 

Archived