Conspiracy Time: Did Gus Play Politics?

Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood is starting against UGA this weekend.  Should have a pretty good idea about what he can do after that.  Tough first start though.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Gatewood is starting against UGA this weekend.  Should have a pretty good idea about what he can do after that.  Tough first start though.

First start, midseason, toughest defense in the nation, COVID- and SEC/eligibility-hampered offseason... deck is stacked against him again. But if he's feeling confident, sharp and healthy, then that should show on film even if the production isn't there. 

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity". We are talking about a coach whose roster has consistently hemorrhaged talented players for dubious reasons for basically his entire tenure. Are Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood not in orange and blue for political reasons? Possibly but it's also possible that Bo was "better" according to whatever weirdo metric Gus uses to evaluate his QBs. This is a person, after all, who only managed to get 18 passing TDs out of an offense featuring Jarrett Stidham, Darius Slayton, Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz, and Ryan Davis. For context, UGA's "outdated" 2019 offense featuring a "disappointing" Jake Fromm still saw him throw for 24 TDs. 

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Yeah that should tell everybody where he's at!

6 hours ago, AUAlumnTN said:

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity". We are talking about a coach whose roster has consistently hemorrhaged talented players for dubious reasons for basically his entire tenure. Are Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood not in orange and blue for political reasons? Possibly but it's also possible that Bo was "better" according to whatever weirdo metric Gus uses to evaluate his QBs. This is a person, after all, who only managed to get 18 passing TDs out of an offense featuring Jarrett Stidham, Darius Slayton, Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz, and Ryan Davis. For context, UGA's "outdated" 2019 offense featuring a "disappointing" Jake Fromm still saw him throw for 24 TDs. 

It's not just that, it's Gus went completely out of his way to not even play the QB's even in blowouts or any situation where coaches put their back up QB's in as to not put any pressure on Bo

On 10/17/2020 at 9:58 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I want to ask and maybe posit a theory, was it a political decision to Start Bo last year over Gatewood and if so, was he approached by the PTB to do so?

If the QB battle was as close as they made it seem, I can't imagine there being such a drop off in Bo's play unless Gatewood was literally trash, which we have conflicting reports to that. It just doesn't make much sense to start a TF over an older player unless that TF was blowing the doors off the competition from day one. Another issue is that Gatewood is a Malzahn System QB. Cam Newton lite, so if you had an older guy that fit your system and was neck and neck with the newcomer, why did you tank your depth by running him off except for politics?? 

Had to be something... politics or whatever.

Gus ain't usually shy about rotating QBs, even to his own detriment.

But Bo was struggling awfully bad in the Florida game, and JG never gets in? Unless JG was on punishment or something that no one EVER heard about... it makes 0 sense.

1 minute ago, wcware said:

What does everyone think after seeing 2 quarters of Gatewood?

He is definitely very green.  I like that UK is trying to play ball control though.

Just now, DAG said:

He is definitely very green.  I like that UK is trying to play ball control though.

For sure, they're definitely not asking him to do more than he should to win this game. Asking a young QB against superior defensive competition to go be a hero is a horrid recipe. 

I hate that Kentucky is starved for receivers and weapons but I'm happy they have Rodriguez because man... 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

If he is going to be a successful college QB then this is the offense he has the best chance to do it in.

Just now, wcware said:

If he is going to be a successful college QB then this is the offense he has the best chance to do it in.

I would agree. It is definitely a huge learning curve to start against this squad .

After today is there a chance that we all agree that Malik Willis May have been the QB that we should have not let get away? I have been so impressed with him all year.

After today is there a chance that we all agree that Malik Willis May have been the QB that we should have not let get away? I have been so impressed with him all year.

Well in a perfect world, I would love to have a vet like MW, While JG and Bo are both sitting back and learning.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well in a perfect world, I would love to have a vet like MW, While JG and Bo are both sitting back and learning.

He has just looked super sharp all year

Gus doesn’t need to engage in politics.  He has all the protection he needs, with an ironclad multi-million dollar contract.  Moreover, people are way overestimating the importance of Patrick Nix to AU football.  Patrick has zero influence over Gus.  

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would agree. It is definitely a huge learning curve to start against this squad .

I don’t think it’s fair to compare JG at Kentucky vs JG at Auburn because you would like to think Auburn has more weapons. Am I right to think this way?

Just now, wcware said:

I don’t think it’s fair to compare JG at Kentucky vs JG at Auburn because you would like to think Auburn has more weapons. Am I right to think this way?

I would agree but then I don't like even making those statements because you have others who say we don't have the talent to compete. I mean I at least see UK competing against UGA.

I don't think jg is playing that bad. I guess I should better say it by saying he's playing better than I thought he would. He's not really doing much throwing the ball but he's really hindering uga from pinning their ears back and all out attacking. JG is affecting the run game a bunch. 

Have to think how he didn't get reps here either so he's super green. He's not good enough to win this game but he's going to allow them to run over some teams of equal talent in the future

Probably not fair to compare based strictly on results, but we can still evaluate his play. 

18 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Had to be something... politics or whatever.

Gus ain't usually shy about rotating QBs, even to his own detriment.

But Bo was struggling awfully bad in the Florida game, and JG never gets in? Unless JG was on punishment or something that no one EVER heard about... it makes 0 sense.

What channel have you guys been watching last few years? Gus has never rotated quarterbacks worth a crap unless he has been forced to. So no, it's not because of some political crap and to find a way to keep Bo the starter when others behind him were better. Look at Gatewood today against Uga today...that tells you all you need to know. Believe it or not, we actually could be worse off. 

Just now, cole256 said:

. He's not good enough to win this game but he's going to allow them to run over some teams of equal talent in the future

Exactly. A game like this is the blueprint. It reminds me of L.J. first game against us and on his first play he threw a pick. It was setting up the blue print.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I don't think jg is playing that bad. I guess I should better say it by saying he's playing better than I thought he would. He's not really doing much throwing the ball but he's really hindering uga from pinning their ears back and all out attacking. JG is affecting the run game a bunch. 

Have to think how he didn't get reps here either so he's super green. He's not good enough to win this game but he's going to allow them to run over some teams of equal talent in the future

Yeah I like him in this offense. The fumble was really the only thing he has done to hurt them.

Archived