Jump to content
Null

The morning after: This is when you know you have no control:


Recommended Posts





1 hour ago, DAG said:

There is just too much comfortability on the sideline . Players jawing at coaches , players jawing at each other and players jawing at the other side. I see too many times where guys aren’t hustling or aren’t attempting to block. I see too many times CCM playing counselor. Where the heck is the respect. It is one thing to lose but another thing to lack total discipline. It is hard for me to believe a coach has a lost complete idea on how Xs and Os go.

I know I am Sunday morning coaching here but I have to wonder if CCM has been destroyed since his days at Arkansas. Part of it could be no spring and COVID, but I feel like other teams had the same issues and they are rolling with no issues. I completely believe Gus is apathetic. I completely believe Gus knows his time is ticking and slowly just doing enough to get by. It is hard for me to believe otherwise based on the way he has carried himself. 
 

Quite frankly, I have to say, I can’t completely be mad at our leaders. Let’s be truthful here, many of us were okay with us keeping Gus after 2017. I know some of you were against it but If I remember correctly , a lot of us wanted to keep him once again. I strictly remember myself laughing at posters when they said we had the money to rid Gus but not believing it. I doubt many of us would’ve pulled the trigger. Now here we are and we are sick of it but of course COVID has struck and the reality is , at least in college football, money is a big factor. 

The fact of the matter is , now is the time to understand Gus is not right for this gig. We may argue with one another , but after 8 years of trying a lot of different things, he cannot seem to get a consistent hold of this program. This does not mean he is a bad guy. This does not mean he is even a bad coach. It just means at this level, it may be too much for him. I didn’t even watch the game yesterday and part of that may be because of the context of everything. But another part of it could be because the apathy I am seeing from everyone. People worry about becoming UT and FSU. I can’t explain how the fans of their programs feel, but if it is anything like how are fans are feeling right now, we are there. 

A lot of fair points.  The sideline drama is uncharacteristic under a CGM led team though.  I don’t think apathy correctly describes his state of mind though.  I believe he deeply cares and wants to win ballgames no matter  what you believe his body language looks like.  He may In the end not deliver the results we demand and be fired, but it won’t be from his apathy it will be from the bottom line wins and losses.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

A lot of fair points.  The sideline drama is uncharacteristic under a CGM led team though.  I don’t think apathy correctly describes his state of mind though.  I believe he deeply cares and wants to win ballgames no matter  what you believe his body language looks like.  He may In the end not deliver the results we demand and be fired, but it won’t be from his apathy it will be from the bottom line wins and losses.  

True this is from my opinion only. I just am kind of confused as to how this can be the case. But I am only speaking from my lenses, TBH. I don’t know how he goes about his days but his ways of leadership definitely doesn’t jive with my own personal feelings and I own that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This behavior is very uncharacteristic of a Gus led team. It really is. I think a couple of things played out here. 1. Nix was frustrated with his bad play and was trying to make things happen and instead made it worse. He was doubling down on Williams in stead of looking for other receivers.  2. Williams was frustrated with Horn (the db) I think Horn got into his head early and often. Horn was on point with his coverage. He smothered Seth all day. Then Williams was frustrated with Bo for continuing to throw him bad passes and ill advised passes.

Neither player looked good yesterday. Frustration and mistakes can cause flareups. It was a bad look all around. South Carolina made adjustments to their coverages and we never made adjustments to our passing game.  Horn knew exactly where the ball was going and knew the routes. I could be wrong on this but I saw the offense move Seth around a couple of times to get Horn off him but honestly, they didn't adjust enough to what South Carolina was doing on defense. Nix made it look worse by trying to force throws. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually after four games we are approximately where we usually are in our conference schedule. In a normal year our record is usually 8-5 or 9-3 with some years 7-5. We win the four non conference games and then split the conference games. I was projecting a 5-5 or 6-4 record with only a conference schedule. Take out the 4 non conference wins in a normal year and we are usually around 5-3 or 4-4 with the conference schedule. Recruiting, player development, continuity with the coaching staff and coaching resume all factor in. Its a shame that I have become non emotional with this season, much like the past few seasons. We are slightly above middle of the pack most years with Gus.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, auskull said:

Actually after four games we are approximately where we usually are in our conference schedule. In a normal year our record is usually 8-5 or 9-3 with some years 7-5. We win the four non conference games and then split the conference games. I was projecting a 5-5 or 6-4 record with only a conference schedule. Take out the 4 non conference wins in a normal year and we are usually around 5-3 or 4-4 with the conference schedule. Recruiting, player development, continuity with the coaching staff and coaching resume all factor in. Its a shame that I have become non emotional with this season, much like the past few seasons. We are slightly above middle of the pack most years with Gus.

Yep I agree. I think the thing that was so shocking was seeing Seth and Bo arguing on the sideline and when you are struggling, people will replay it over and over. It is very uncharacteristic of a CGM led team that is why I was shocked by it.  Frustration by all was very evident. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other posters are right, it's uncharacteristic of a Gus team. I think the seams are finally coming apart. It's barely been held together for a while now but it's like watching a car accident in slow motion at this point

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, auskull said:

Actually after four games we are approximately where we usually are in our conference schedule. In a normal year our record is usually 8-5 or 9-3 with some years 7-5. We win the four non conference games and then split the conference games. I was projecting a 5-5 or 6-4 record with only a conference schedule. Take out the 4 non conference wins in a normal year and we are usually around 5-3 or 4-4 with the conference schedule. Recruiting, player development, continuity with the coaching staff and coaching resume all factor in. Its a shame that I have become non emotional with this season, much like the past few seasons. We are slightly above middle of the pack most years with Gus.

Where are you seeing 2 or 3 more wins based on the product we have seen so far?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Yep I agree. I think the thing that was so shocking was seeing Seth and Bo arguing on the sideline and when you are struggling, people will replay it over and over. It is very uncharacteristic of a CGM led team that is why I was shocked by it.  Frustration by all was very evident. 

Every player on this roster knows Bo did not earn the starting QB position, Gus has lost this team, also I am not a Gus fan, but, this is the results from being a poor leader of men, manager and coach.  Also I think the power brokers are ripping Auburn football apart by trying to run it, they are running it into the ground, if they cared about the cries of this fan base and the results fits the crying they would do something about, they are not serious about Auburn football because if they were they would make a hire that they would have to get out of the way and they do not want to do that, so what do they do, keep ole Gustva around so they can continue keeping a hand in it.

They only make us think that they are serious with the money they throw out there to the staff it looks good but the results does not equal success .

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Every player on this roster knows Bo did not earn the starting QB position

That is a garbage take, seriously. You can say what you want about his play this season and it is mostly on the coaches, but unless you have seen interviews stating that JG should have started, or you were at practice every day during Camp, then your claim has zero merit.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is going to be interesting to see how an SEC only schedule will magnify the flaws in a program. Suddenly the "gimme" wins that got a team to 9 wins are gone and the program is laid bare. We are seeing it now at AU. I also wouldn't be surprised to see 75% of the conference teams with 4 losses or more. Actually, I like this 10 game conference schedule, it cuts through the BS.  

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That is a garbage take, seriously. You can say what you want about his play this season and it is mostly on the coaches, but unless you have seen interviews stating that JG should have started, or you were at practice every day during Camp, then your claim has zero merit.

True.  Bo’s play this season has been pathetic.  There’s a slight argument for the case JG should have won the qb competition in hindsight(not much), but I get it.  But CGM went with who he thought gave the team the best chance to win.  Anything saying otherwise is simply false.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DAG said:

There is just too much comfortability on the sideline . Players jawing at coaches , players jawing at each other and players jawing at the other side. I see too many times where guys aren’t hustling or aren’t attempting to block. I see too many times CCM playing counselor. Where the heck is the respect. It is one thing to lose but another thing to lack total discipline. It is hard for me to believe a coach has a lost complete idea on how Xs and Os go.

I know I am Sunday morning coaching here but I have to wonder if CCM has been destroyed since his days at Arkansas. Part of it could be no spring and COVID, but I feel like other teams had the same issues and they are rolling with no issues. I completely believe Gus is apathetic. I completely believe Gus knows his time is ticking and slowly just doing enough to get by. It is hard for me to believe otherwise based on the way he has carried himself. 
 

Quite frankly, I have to say, I can’t completely be mad at our leaders. Let’s be truthful here, many of us were okay with us keeping Gus after 2017. I know some of you were against it but If I remember correctly , a lot of us wanted to keep him once again. I strictly remember myself laughing at posters when they said we had the money to rid Gus but not believing it. I doubt many of us would’ve pulled the trigger. Now here we are and we are sick of it but of course COVID has struck and the reality is , at least in college football, money is a big factor. 

The fact of the matter is , now is the time to understand Gus is not right for this gig. We may argue with one another , but after 8 years of trying a lot of different things, he cannot seem to get a consistent hold of this program. This does not mean he is a bad guy. This does not mean he is even a bad coach. It just means at this level, it may be too much for him. I didn’t even watch the game yesterday and part of that may be because of the context of everything. But another part of it could be because the apathy I am seeing from everyone. People worry about becoming UT and FSU. I can’t explain how the fans of their programs feel, but if it is anything like how are fans are feeling right now, we are there. 

I don't see anything unusual in the frustrated exchange between Nix and Williams. I've seen plenty of that and worse over the years. Just part of the game when you're having a tough afternoon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scribe Tiger said:

I don't see anything unusual in the frustrated exchange between Nix and Williams. I've seen plenty of that and worse over the years. Just part of the game when you're having a tough afternoon. 

You’ve seen that at the collegiate level on TV plenty of times? When ? Cite it? I’ve never seen two players at the collegiate level go like that to a point where the coach has to get in the middle of them and one of them instantly starts talking back to the coach. So yes since you’ve seen it a bunch I would definitely like to hear where you saw it on tv at this level?

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Instantly talks back?  That was a very, very pedestrian exchange.  Both between Nix and Williams and between Nix and CCM.  Seeing it live, I was worried about it completely.  And, don't get me wrong, it's not a good look, but to say you've never seen two players go like that seems very naive.  Hell, did you see the end of the Memphis-UCF game?

Tempers run hot; games are lost.  There's passion.  It happens.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Instantly talks back?  That was a very, very pedestrian exchange.  Both between Nix and Williams and between Nix and CCM.  Seeing it live, I was worried about it completely.  And, don't get me wrong, it's not a good look, but to say you've never seen two players go like that seems very naive.  Hell, did you see the end of the Memphis-UCF game?

Tempers run hot; games are lost.  There's passion.  It happens.

Link it. Show me where you’ve seen it. You calling me naive, so show me? I I can tell you I’ve never seen any QB talk back to NS.  I’ve never seen a QB talk back to Dabo. So show me. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

 

Okay?  Calm down, dude.  I'm partly playing devil's advocate.  Gus has lost control of the team, and it's in a death spiral.  Whether they can pull out or not is TBD.

Good link.  And that was my point. So it’s not just about passion and things just happening. That stuff should not happen. How in one breathe can you say this stuff just happens but then say Gus lost control? These things do not often happen at the collegiate level on camera , that’s why! Very rarely do you see two teammates go at it like that during the game on camera then talk back to the coach. That’s not passion. That’s just being freaking dumb. Somebody raging like the link you saw is not passion and Bo Nix and Seth do not need to be acting like that on the sideline as leaders of this team. And Bo Nix should absolutely NOT be talking back to the coach. Period. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MCPeePants said:
dev·il's ad·vo·cate
/ˈˌdevəlz ˈadvəkət/
 
noun
  1. a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments.

You are playing devils advocate for something you shouldn’t be advocating for! It’s not a good look period. To say “well, yeah things like this happen” is dismissive to the bigger picture of things. Our two leaders so frustrated they are going at each other to a point where the freaking OC is in the middle of it. Then the leader of our team is so frustrated he is barking back at the dang OC. There is no no way to even justify that action as something that happens all the time at this level. In the NFL, hell yes. Not at this level. If it was so pedestrian why did the grown up in the room had to step in to separate it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amwest20 said:

True.  Bo’s play this season has been pathetic.  There’s a slight argument for the case JG should have won the qb competition in hindsight(not much), but I get it.  But CGM went with who he thought gave the team the best chance to win.  Anything saying otherwise is simply false.  

Exactly. This is not High school athletics. It is big time College D1 SEC football, and I would say there is plenty of argument to say JG should have been given a chance in the game when Bo struggled at UF. We do not know what happened in spring, summer, or fall camp but apparently JG was not able to cement himself as the starter and whether it was mismanaged from there on is mute. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DAG said:

You’ve seen that at the collegiate level on TV? When ? Cite it? I’ve never seen two players at the collegiate level go like that to a point where the coach has to get in the middle of them and one of them instantly starts talking back. So yes since you’ve seen it a bunch I would definitely like to hear where you saw it on tv at this level?

You want to talk temper tantrums on TV? I remember Dameyune Craig throwing a huge tantrum on the Auburn sidelines during the 1997 Iron Bowl, after Bowden decided to punt right before Ed Scissum's fumble. Craig was throwing things, acting out in all kinds of ways. 

Do you remember the same QB striking his OG after a false start during the SECCG against the Vols, then obviously screaming at him on the field? 

But you're just going by what you've seen on TV. If you've been on the sidelines during a game, you see plenty of disagreements between players. Emotions are high. Go stand by the offensive or defensive linemen when they're on the bench and listen to them going at it about who screwed up an assignment or run fit. Team captains and leaders frequently get on another player if they think they aren't pulling their load. That's part of their responsibility. 

Coaches will let that happen, to a degree, then stop it before it gets out of hand. Some coaches prefer to do all the tail-chewing themselves, feeling it cuts down on dissension but they know they can't stop all of it. It's easier to control in high school where the players are more naturally intimidated by mature adults. That isn't the case in college ranks, where players are more confident. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...