Face It: The Football Gods Want Auburn to Keep Malzahn

Malcolm_FleX48

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

for the record malcolm this is nothing personal against you. i offered to buy you lunch once just to hear some gamecock war stories. i just do not have it in me to do what you ask. and people have given up on me a couple of times in my life and i would wish it on no one.

I doubt it is, but I think you miss the forest for the trees a lot of times, which is fine. Its a perspective and a trait that is ubiquitous when it comes to Auburn.

All I'm saying is that again, regardless of the outcome of this season, all players will be allowed to play another year without their eligibility being used, which means that they don't have a losing season count against their entire careers. 

I would rather that losing season be now, when players get the opportunity to put the best on film in spite of tremendous adversity, rather than them go into the 2021 season and REALLY lose out in the same fashion they're having to go out and do this year, BUT with the added twist of never being able to get that year back.

Believe it or not, this Covid season is a blessing because it gives many players an extra year to develop, get film, as well as work towards their degrees. If there was ever a season to make a case for getting rid of Gus and getting these players some time to play with a Coach that won't ruin their trajectories and will nurture their talents, it would have been THIS year.

Sadly the shitshow will continue and as you said, there are guys on this team playing hurt and playing their hearts out like Tank and Shivers. They'll either end up getting run into the ground in a sub-optimal scheme by Gus and never reaching their full potential + getting replaced when a new recruit catches his fancy, or having to take a substantial pay cut if they get drafted because teams were never able to see what truly good players they were.

Look at Slayton, Uzomah, Cass, Braden, Tega etc....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone that looks at the product on the field, recruiting, and the overall trajectory of the program and still thinks we should hang on to Gus for a minute longer....SMH

Auburn's next 5 games are LSU, at Miss. State, Tennessee, at Alabama and close out with Texas A&M, the football gods as you say may not be so kind to the Tigers.

By all rights, Auburn should really be 1-4 instead of 3-2. We got 2 real lucky calls that went our way against Arkansas and Ole Miss.

After watching our WR's drop so many passes the last few years, I'm more and more convinced that we need to fire Kodi Burns. He's just not a good WR coach nor a good recruiter.

5 hours ago, fredst said:

Anyone that looks at the product on the field, recruiting, and the overall trajectory of the program and still thinks we should hang on to Gus for a minute longer....SMH

to be clear just in case.....i am all for replacing gus but i will never throw our kids under the bus. they should

6 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I doubt it is, but I think you miss the forest for the trees a lot of times, which is fine. Its a perspective and a trait that is ubiquitous when it comes to Auburn.

All I'm saying is that again, regardless of the outcome of this season, all players will be allowed to play another year without their eligibility being used, which means that they don't have a losing season count against their entire careers. 

I would rather that losing season be now, when players get the opportunity to put the best on film in spite of tremendous adversity, rather than them go into the 2021 season and REALLY lose out in the same fashion they're having to go out and do this year, BUT with the added twist of never being able to get that year back.

Believe it or not, this Covid season is a blessing because it gives many players an extra year to develop, get film, as well as work towards their degrees. If there was ever a season to make a case for getting rid of Gus and getting these players some time to play with a Coach that won't ruin their trajectories and will nurture their talents, it would have been THIS year.

Sadly the shitshow will continue and as you said, there are guys on this team playing hurt and playing their hearts out like Tank and Shivers. They'll either end up getting run into the ground in a sub-optimal scheme by Gus and never reaching their full potential + getting replaced when a new recruit catches his fancy, or having to take a substantial pay cut if they get drafted because teams were never able to see what truly good players they were.

Look at Slayton, Uzomah, Cass, Braden, Tega etc....

i understand what you are saying. but in big picture it is wrong to blame the players and make them pay for what others are doing. most of those kids will never get drafted. unless a kid is a thug i will not drop him like it doesn't matter. i know we are coming from different angles but it what you do not understand is my heart will not allow me to willingly go that way. some kids will pay the price. they chose to come to auburn. no one made them and i will not just say the hell with it. and i understand your talking points about the free year etc. my people were from auburn and we were very loyal in some hard times. talking this stuff on a message is not going to get it done. talking or emailing the right people will. you of all people should know football is a team game. you would willingly hurt others because you want to make a business decision and that is not yours to make. it belongs to the players. i am pretty sure they have people around them that are not stupid. you think recruiters are not telling them this kind of stuff already? you want to win. i want to win. the kids want to win. to basically want the team to tank the rest of their games this year so hopefully we can get a better coaching staff is wrong to the kids. we are supposed to be teaching these kids life lessons as well as the game of football. i will never in my own little world be selfish enough to put wins above the kids. hell lets just throw the creed out. look in my heart i know i am right ok? these kids that are concerned also have a transfer portal they can use if they feel wronged. but to just tank the season for more wins down the road? not me malcolm i am not made that way. i treasure my time at auburn and east glenn avenue. auburn is and will always be my heart. i want my team to fight until the bitter end. i do not want them to learn to quit.auburn is a special place. they have special people. and believe it or not some of those kids came to auburn because they understand how special it is. you think tank could not have signed with just about any team in america? he chose auburn because it is a special place and he said so on television when he announced his choice of schools. that is good enough for me. besides what happens if they lay down and the university still keeps gus? i want another coach but i am not throwing my principals out the windows to get one.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:
7 hours ago, fredst said:

to be clear just in case.....i am all for replacing gus but i will never throw our kids under the bus. they should

No, I get it. I respect all of the effort that the players are putting in and appreciate their hard work. I think that they would be best served if we canned Gus today (or 5 years ago, lol) and made efforts to get them a coach that would get the most of their talent and put them in the best situation possible to succeed. I will always pull for Auburn to win but if they put forth their best effort and lose... I actually think that would be to their benefit if it accelerates getting Gus gone.

10 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Well, to be fair, Chad’s reputation was good until he got to Arkansas; so was Bert’s. 

I agree but we learned. And Chad's stats were not that good in reality. Bret's was but he was in the Big 10 not the SEC. 

12 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

After watching our WR's drop so many passes the last few years, I'm more and more convinced that we need to fire Kodi Burns. He's just not a good WR coach nor a good recruiter.

He's credited as a pretty good recruiter at 43rd nationally for 2020 but I'll agree with you on the coaching aspect. 

Screenshot_20201026-023428~2.png

14 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i understand what you are saying. but in big picture it is wrong to blame the players and make them pay for what others are doing. most of those kids will never get drafted. unless a kid is a thug i will not drop him like it doesn't matter. i know we are coming from different angles but it what you do not understand is my heart will not allow me to willingly go that way. some kids will pay the price. they chose to come to auburn. no one made them and i will not just say the hell with it. and i understand your talking points about the free year etc. my people were from auburn and we were very loyal in some hard times. talking this stuff on a message is not going to get it done. talking or emailing the right people will. you of all people should know football is a team game. you would willingly hurt others because you want to make a business decision and that is not yours to make. it belongs to the players. i am pretty sure they have people around them that are not stupid. you think recruiters are not telling them this kind of stuff already? you want to win. i want to win. the kids want to win. to basically want the team to tank the rest of their games this year so hopefully we can get a better coaching staff is wrong to the kids. we are supposed to be teaching these kids life lessons as well as the game of football. i will never in my own little world be selfish enough to put wins above the kids. hell lets just throw the creed out. look in my heart i know i am right ok? these kids that are concerned also have a transfer portal they can use if they feel wronged. but to just tank the season for more wins down the road? not me malcolm i am not made that way. i treasure my time at auburn and east glenn avenue. auburn is and will always be my heart. i want my team to fight until the bitter end. i do not want them to learn to quit.auburn is a special place. they have special people. and believe it or not some of those kids came to auburn because they understand how special it is. you think tank could not have signed with just about any team in america? he chose auburn because it is a special place and he said so on television when he announced his choice of schools. that is good enough for me. besides what happens if they lay down and the university still keeps gus? i want another coach but i am not throwing my prinipals out the windows to get one.

This is the over all problem at Auburn, with a vast majority of the fan base, Auburn is no special place then Baton Rouge, Athens, Oxford, college station. Stop it man, we should be concern about being #1 in football, in recruiting and consistently competing for the above, anything short of that is a last place mentality.

20 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

This is the over all problem at Auburn, with a vast majority of the fan base, Auburn is no special place then Baton Rouge, Athens, Oxford, college station. Stop it man, we should be concern about being #1 in football, in recruiting and consistently competing for the above, anything short of that is a last place mentality.

ok you lost me. you are saying the team should tank the season?

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

ok you lost me. you are saying the team should tank the season?

This team, and the ones before this season is only as good as the coach that is coaching them, he has 8 years of tape. Gus has sucked the life out of this program with no future excitement to look forward to, we have gotten to the point of acceptability that what we have is as good as it can be.

sad..

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

This team, and the ones before this season is only as good as the coach that is coaching them, he has 8 years of tape. Gus has sucked the life out of this program with no future excitement to look forward to, we have gotten to the point of acceptability that what we have is as good as it can be.

sad..

have you seen me take up for gus in this thread? i am talking about not throwing in the towel on the players and nothing more.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, aubiefifty said:

have you seen me take up for gus in this thread? i am talking about not throwing in the towel on the players and nothing more.

I think the heart of this debate stems from a historical trend at Auburn. We don't fire coaches without a major NCAA violation, a losing season or both. Given that, it puts the fanbase in a terrible position: wanting Gus gone but knowing that the bottom has to fall out for that to happen. 

On 10/25/2020 at 1:42 PM, auburn4ever said:

Did you know he signed a 2-year extension back in February?

Archived