Here's what I don't get

TigerHorn

In three of our games this year, we've benefitted from arguable calls. Other threads have covered all the bases on the arguments for all three, so let's not rehash this here. All three IMO were officiating mistakes in bang-bang situations, rather than anything truly intentional. Having said that, we're finally getting the same "benefit of the doubt" that spuat has gotten since Tennessee's Johnny Majors said "If you've got 3rd and 2 in Legion Field, you'd better get 3!". Not once have I ever heard of a bammer complaining about any of the uncounted judgement calls at pivotal moments that went their way, yet you have AU people falling all over themselves to give the games back to UK, Arkie and now OM, and in ALL THREE games, there we plenty of no-calls that went against AU that were every bit as pivotal. What does it take for some of you to stop looking at the gift horse's teeth with your 20 power eyeglasses? 

image.png

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

In three of our games this year, we've benefitted from arguable calls. Other threads have covered all the bases on the arguments for all three, so let's not rehash this here. All three IMO were officiating mistakes in bang-bang situations, rather than anything truly intentional. Having said that, we're finally getting the same "benefit of the doubt" that spuat has gotten since Tennessee's Johnny Majors said "If you've got 3rd and 2 in Legion Field, you'd better get 3!". Not once have I ever heard of a bammer complaining about any of the uncounted judgement calls at pivotal moments that went their way, yet you have AU people falling all over themselves to give the games back to UK, Arkie and now OM, and in ALL THREE games, there we plenty of no-calls that went against AU that were every bit as pivotal. What does it take for some of you to stop looking at the gift horse's teeth with your 20 power eyeglasses? 

The simple answer is it doesn't fit the agenda and narrative they propagate. 

3 minutes ago, creed said:

Out of likes.  This is correct.

13 minutes ago, creed said:

Yup. Seems as if some here would be happier if our Tigers had lost. I got some flack for saying that a few weeks ago, but that's what I see.

9 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Yup. Seems as if some here would be happier if our Tigers had lost. I got some flack for saying that a few weeks ago, but that's what I see.

You will catch hell for pointing out any positive traits of a Gus Malzahn coached team.  Every win will be under a microscope coming up with reasons why we should have lost.  That’s the sad truth.  

The easy answer is that Alabama is a good team and thus it is expected that "the ball bouncing their way" is a deserved outcome.

When you are a bad team like we are; having blatant missed calls go your way just feels cheap and undeserved. Do these wins feel like good wins to you? Having to rely on freak plays to barely squeak past other bad teams?  It seems more so that we are being rewarded by "luck" for absolutely nothing that is deserved. 

That is the difference.

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

The easy answer is that Alabama is a good team and thus it is expected that "the ball bouncing their way" is a deserved outcome.

When you are a bad team like we are; having blatant missed calls go your way just feels cheap and undeserved. Do these wins feel like good wins to you? Having to rely on freak plays to barely squeak past other bad teams?  It seems more so that we are being rewarded by "luck" for absolutely nothing that is deserved. 

That is the difference.

We aren’t a bad team. Right now we are a slightly above average team. It seems there needs to be balance. We have also had 2 TDs called back on questionable calls: interception return vs KY and kickoff return vs Ole Miss. 

Just now, SocialCircle said:

We aren’t a bad team. Right now we are a slightly above average team. It seems there needs to be balance. We have also had 2 TDs called back on questionable calls: interception return vs KY and kickoff return vs Ole Miss. 

We ARE a bad team. We haven't been able to stop anyone on 3rd down. Our play in the trenches on both sides of the ball is below average. We aren't particularly sound fundamentally in any aspect of the game (pursuit, angles, tackling, etc).

There is no aspect of this team that resembles the characteristics of a "good team". If you actually believe otherwise, then you don't even understand what makes a good team in the first place. 

What I will say to this is I agree to an extent but at the same time if we are going to be this way then folks need to stop bitching about all things Saban and the advantages that Alabama has (which mostly are unfounded). It is okay to say we benefited in pivotal plays while also saying I am glad we won. I don’t like the hypocrisy of our fan base because if something like that would happen with Bama, a good bit of y’all would be losing your minds not realizing one play doesn’t make a game. I saw this last year in the game with UVA and us. 

53 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

This is the part that matters. When human error works in your favor you take it, because there will be a time when it works against you. Complain when it works against you, but enjoy it when it works for you.

3 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

This is the part that matters. When human error works in your favor you take it, because there will be a time when it works against you. Complain when it works against you, but enjoy it when it works for you.

Yeah that’s called being an hypocrite 

I guess with all of the bogus calls and non calls that LSU has received in the last several games against us, they should forfeit those games. They were literally tackling our DL last year and our receivers the year before. How did Ole Miss have 1 penalty for 5 yards yesterday and numerous holds on Christian Tutt....in front of the official on the Ole Miss sideline that also gave them numerous excessive spots? This doesn't take into account all of the other holds, etc. If they don't call back the kickoff, maybe that gave us momentum and we blow them out. The officials weren't trying to help us. WE WON!

16 minutes ago, metafour said:

We ARE a bad team. We haven't been able to stop anyone on 3rd down. Our play in the trenches on both sides of the ball is below average. We aren't particularly sound fundamentally in any aspect of the game (pursuit, angles, tackling, etc).

There is no aspect of this team that resembles the characteristics of a "good team". If you actually believe otherwise, then you don't even understand what makes a good team in the first place. 

Where did I say we are a good team?? We are 3-2 in the SEC which makes us a slightly above average team right now. 

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

Where did I say we are a good team?? We are 3-2 in the SEC which makes us a slightly above average team right now. 

No, that doesn't make you a "slightly above average team". What you are arguing is dependent on scheduling.

I'm analyzing the play on the field; not the schedule.

We are not an "above average team" by any metric.

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

No, that doesn't make you a "slightly above average team". What you are arguing is dependent on scheduling.

I'm analyzing the play on the field; not the schedule.

We are slightly above average based on the most important metric.....our SEC W/L record. BTW I think we are also 3rd best in scoring defense in the SEC so far which is also above average. 

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

We are slightly above average based on the most important metric.....our SEC W/L record. BTW I think we are also 3rd best in scoring defense in the SEC so far which is also above average. 

Well, you've convinced me. We should probably lock Gus down for another extension before some other program becomes so impressed by our above-average team and hires him away.

I really didn't know that our defense was THAT good. 

18 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Beat LSU and I'll consider your proposition.

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

Here’s a metric.  We have 5th best sec record.  There are 14 teams in the conference.  Above average in that metric.

Nobody is satisfied with where we are.  Just had to throw it out there to all that try to find reasons to make us suck at all costs.

11 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

But NOOOO we suck so bad quit pointing out things like that.  

12 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

Here’s a metric.  We have 5th best sec record.  There are 14 teams in the conference.  Above average in that metric.

Nobody is satisfied with where we are.  Just had to throw it out there to all that try to find reasons to make us suck at all costs.

The order of the teams we play impacts our record at this snapshot in time. The only "SEC record" that matters is the final record at the end of the season after you have played every team on the schedule. Hypothetically if you played the 5 worst teams in the conference in your first 5 games, would that not give you a skewed interpretation of your team?

Are you seriously over here pumping your chest because we barely beat one of the worst teams in the conference to get us to 3-2? 

I guess since we're an "above average" team now, we should be expecting a win vs. LSU right? LSU is 2-2, and therefore not as good as us.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

The order of the teams we play impacts our record at this snapshot in time. The only "SEC record" that matters is the final record at the end of the season after you have played every team on the schedule. Hypothetically if you played the 5 worst teams in the conference in your first 5 games, would that not give you a skewed interpretation of your team?

Are you seriously over here pumping your chest because we barely beat one of the worst teams in the conference to get us to 3-2? 

I guess since we're an "above average" team now, we should be expecting a win vs. LSU right? 

First paragraph fair point, but we haven’t played Vandy.

2nd paragraph no chest pumping of any sort is going on.

3rd paragraph yea sure I expect a win vs. LSU next weekend so what?

16 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

Here's another metric: not every team in this conference has even played the same amount of games we have. Florida has only played 3 games, we have played 5. We have 3 wins and they have 2...so I guess that means we're better than they are at this point? 

Just now, metafour said:

Here's another metric: not every team in this conference has even played the same amount of games we have. Florida has only played 3 games, we have played 5. We have 3 wins and they have 2...so I guess that means we're better than they are at this point? 

Incorrect.  Florida, Bama, Georgia, aTm were the 4 teams I ranked ahead of us... making us 5th that I referred to.

Cool metric tho...

37 minutes ago, metafour said:

Well, you've convinced me. We should probably lock Gus down for another extension before some other program becomes so impressed by our above-average team and hires him away.

I really didn't know that our defense was THAT good. 

Again you are inventing things as I never said we are a good team and I never mentioned anything about Gus. You seem to not understand how our defense is relative to the other defenses in the SEC. Also, we so far are above average running the football relative to the other teams in our conference. 

Archived