The Jalen Hurts Offense

AUght2win

This is what I saw us run in Oxford. Ironically enough, it was against the man who invented it. Thirty passes, but most were flanker screens. Not many deep shots or multi-reads. More of an emphasis on using Bo as a runner.

I think this strategy could work fairly well. Embrace that Bo, right now, has a somewhat similar skillset to Jalen - strong arm, not accurate, good runner.

If we had run this offense a week ago, we blow away South Carolina. I think Bo has to be used as a full on mobile QB. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think Bo is nearly as a talented runner as Hurts. If he was....

And Bo has a lot more arm talent than hurts. At this point, he’s not as poised or polished, but his passing ceiling is a lot higher. Hurts never had a very strong arm. Bo does.

19 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

And Bo has a lot more arm talent than hurts. At this point, he’s not as poised or polished, but his passing ceiling is a lot higher. Hurts never had a very strong arm. Bo does.

Hurts wasn’t a skilled passer. He did have a strong arm. He created wide open receivers and opportunities from his threat to run. Bo will have to be a better passer because he isn’t going to create fear by running 

27 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

No he doesn't. Bo doesn't have a super strong arm. Hurts actually did

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I don’t think Bo is nearly as a talented runner as Hurts. If he was....

Never said he was. People always interpret a comparison as a better/worse than discussion. I am just saying they are similar in skill set.

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No he doesn't. Bo doesn't have a super strong arm. Hurts actually did

Hard disagree here. We just don't see it used much. The Canella TD pass in the IB was a rocket. 

To take the comparison even further, I checked out the stats for Alabama's 2017 offense. There are 2 interesting similarities that show we may have the personnel for it.

1. They had a singular go-to receiver. Calvin Ridley had 63 receptions. Second on the team was Bo Scarborough with 17. Seth is basically our Calvin. But with Eli and Schwartz, we actually could have more threats in our passing game.

2. They had a stable of very good backs. Damien Harris, Bo Scarborough, Josh Jacobs, and yes, Najee Harris (he is 1000 years old). We are not that good, but still the deepest we have been at tailback in a while with Tank, Shivers, and DJ. 

For sure!  I think you’re on to something!  Hopefully the coaching staff sees it the same way.  We’ve got to run the ball though.  

Ok. Wait when it's time for him to go to the NFL. When I come back and revisit this don't do the get mad when I prove I'm right. You can look at when he throws wrong screens and he short arms them alot. He doesn't ever throw the deep out that Gus loves to run at least once a game. He never throws the far side of the field. Also saying a guy has a strong arm because of overthrow is the type of logic a person that has never stepped on a field would use. 

His arm isn't weak but it's not close to being a type of arm that jumps out and certainly isn't anything to say hurts didn't have one but bo does. That's ridiculous

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Hard disagree here. We just don't see it used much. The Canella TD pass in the IB was a rocket. 

That was a 20 yard throw....it was a good throw, I know it's your go to but there are a bunch of better throws he's actually made, and that throw could be an argument for accuracy but does nothing to say Bo has a very strong arm and hurts does not. There's much more film saying the opposite tbh

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok. Wait when it's time for him to go to the NFL. When I come back and revisit this don't do the get mad when I prove I'm right. You can look at when he throws wrong screens and he short arms them alot. He doesn't ever throw the deep out that Gus loves to run at least once a game. He never throws the far side of the field. Also saying a guy has a strong arm because of overthrow is the type of logic a person that has never stepped on a field would use. 

His arm isn't weak but it's not close to being a type of arm that jumps out and certainly isn't anything to say hurts didn't have one but bo does. That's ridiculous

that is true, but I think a lot of his issues stem from poor mechanics.  Mechanics that he's been learning since 8th grade probably; so why does he forget his training when in game? I think that's an intangible (poise?) that he's missing right now. 

Bo's problem is not only arm strength or accuracy. It's also his decision making. The last TD against ole Miss he threw into double coverage. That long pass that Seth pulled out of the air was a desperation heave across his body to Swartz that was grossly underthrown. 

If we are going to get better then Bo has to make better decisions. The game plan is decent. If ole miss had better DB's then we would have lost that game.

Its so frustrating that Auburn is not allowed to have an offense that operates more than 5-10 yards pass the line of scrimmage. All these other teams are tearing it up on offense by using the whole field and here Auburn stays with a offense that only goes downfield in the final seconds of a game or if it is 3rd and long. OC and OC comes in here and yet the offense does not change. LSU is going to eat our lunch if we try and hit them with that same awful offense. Stack the box and play tight man coverage and we'll be lucky to gain 100 yards on the day. 

I probably should not complain....we've won 5 in a row over ol miss with this offense. Not bad for a middle of the road SEC school 

9 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

that is true, but I think a lot of his issues stem from poor mechanics.  Mechanics that he's been learning since 8th grade probably; so why does he forget his training when in game? I think that's an intangible (poise?) that he's missing right now. 

I actually almost wrote that but I feel like people saying what they are saying are just saying stuff and will feel what they feel no matter what. But I really almost wrote the only thing that may be able to be said that maybe his constant throwing off his back leg constantly holds him back. I don't remember what game but at the end of a half or game I remember him trying to throw down field but it was underwhelming

2 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

For sure. Neither Mike Vick nor Nick Marshall were the strongest QBs ever, but they both had this freakish arm movement that maximized velocity on the ball. Crazy to watch the ball just explode out of their hands and they don't even look like they're trying. I'm sure there are scientific explanations that I'm not even remotely achieving here. And that doesn't even get into footwork.  

Agree with @cole256. Bo's got adequate arm strength, but I see no evidence that he's got "a lot more arm talent than Hurts".

Better arm strength than Jalen Hurts? Wow. That was one of the premier things talked about him out of high school and into the NFL. 

I don't think Nix or Hurts have anything special in terms of arm strength, but I agree that Hurts probably has a stronger arm than Nix. Nix will continue to grow stronger though. Hurts is just strong, in general. 

But, Hurts is in another class as far as running goes. He's like a legit running back. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think Nix or Hurts have anything special in terms of arm strength, but I agree that Hurts probably has a stronger arm than Nix. Nix will continue to grow stronger though. Hurts is just strong, in general. 

But, Hurts is in another class as far as running goes. He's like a legit running back. 

Thanks. I feel like that's the more important part of the conversation. I could be wrong, but I think Bo's running ability is being exaggerated a bit. It should be taken advantage of in spots but I don't see it as a feature to shape the offense around like it was with Hurts, Marshall, LJax, Murray, Cam, etc. 

I have to admit that I thought Bo was going to loose yardage on a couple of zone reads, but he outran the defense several times to the sideline and cut up field for some key runs.He is a little faster than he looks sometimes.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. I feel like that's the more important part of the conversation. I could be wrong, but I think Bo's running ability is being exaggerated a bit. It should be taken advantage of in spots but I don't see it as a feature to shape the offense around like it was with Hurts, Marshall, LJax, Murray, Cam, etc. 

Bo is an adequate runner, to use your word. He is enough of a threat to keep defenses honest, and he's going to make some good plays with his feet, but his running game isn't something to build part of the offense around. Still, it's a positive part of his game. Pocket presence on the other hand. It's one thing to have enough athleticism to escape the pocket and pick up a first down. He's got that. It's another skill entirely to make defenders miss INSIDE the pocket, to maneuver around defenders, and then make plays with your arm. That's not a part of Bo's game, and he's athletic enough for it to be, IMO. 

Let's be honest this isn't the brightest thread. Not trying to diss but Bo doesn't have hurts skill set at all. He played a good game and now he's more talented than heisman players and such

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Let's be honest this isn't the brightest thread. Not trying to diss but Bo doesn't have hurts skill set at all. He played a good game and now he's more talented than heisman players and such

Yes...their games are just...different. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

For sure. Neither Mike Vick nor Nick Marshall were the strongest QBs ever, but they both had this freakish arm movement that maximized velocity on the ball. Crazy to watch the ball just explode out of their hands and they don't even look like they're trying. I'm sure there are scientific explanations that I'm not even remotely achieving here. And that doesn't even get into footwork.  

Agree with @cole256. Bo's got adequate arm strength, but I see no evidence that he's got "a lot more arm talent than Hurts".

Yep I agree.. You can tell the guys that have that arm strength.. the ball just comes out flawlessly with no effort. Dan Marino, Doug Williams, Bret Favre to name a few. Talking about Jalen Hurts, he and Bo are 2 different styles.. there is no comparison. 

Archived