Midway Point of the Season. Auburn is at a Crossroads

Amwest20

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

Exactly, and I wished he’d go back to the killer instinct he use to have. When he was OC in 2010 and the first year or two as HC, if we had a couple of minutes to go in the 2nd quarter,  I always felt certain we were going to steal a touchdown before the half. Now it’s shell mode and if we somehow manage to get within field goal range he’s a happy camper.

That 4th and 3 call during the 4th Q against Alabama in 2010. He convinces Chizik to go for it. Line up in the pooch punt formation, and he has Cam throw a dart to Darvin Adams for a first down. We end the drive with Cam throwing back to Lutz to take the lead. Biggest play of that game, IMO. That was all Gus. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That 4th and 3 call during the 4th Q against Alabama in 2010. He convinces Chizik to go for it. Line up in the pooch punt formation, and he has Cam throw a dart to Darvin Adams for a first down. We end the drive with Cam throwing back to Lutz to take the lead. Biggest play of that game, IMO. That was all Gus. 

Yes!!!! As was Cam’s  throw to Adams into the end zone as the first half ended in the SECCG against USC. We all knew we were winning that game, but after that happened, South Carolina knew it, too.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Holy hell, DA made a big time grab on that play. And I agree about the significance of the play, although Hot Carter's forced fumble is right there with it.

Ahhhhh, happier times. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Holy hell, DA made a big time grab on that play. And I agree about the significance of the play, although Hot Carter's forced fumble is right there with it.

Ahhhhh, happier times. 

Carter's ff was probably bigger, looking back. Happier times for sure. Also, I think I need your ignore list. I have some (winter) cleaning to do. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Carter's ff was probably bigger, looking back. Happier times for sure. Also, I think I need your ignore list. I have some (winter) cleaning to do. 

I'll see if I can export it into a spreadsheet. It's like 6 pages long.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll see if I can export it into a spreadsheet. It's like 6 pages long.

Incredible. I just added my third, and I don't even remember the first two. 

19 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

You’re ...let’s see... A negatively opinionated fan of the Auburn football program

Actually I am a positive fan of the Auburn program, just not it’s coach. I think Gus is a grossly overpaid Incompetent head coach. 
I love the team and will pull for them every game. 

Dont you guys realize Gus is playing 4D chess? We are going to use 15 -20 WR screens a game....win lose or draw....and then in the IB when Gus has them right where he wants them....BOOOOM. He drops out the Double pump fake streaker bomb deuce deuce to Flash for a TD. He set it up all year long. 4 D chess.

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Actually I am a positive fan of the Auburn program, just not it’s coach. I think Gus is a grossly overpaid Incompetent head coach. 
I love the team and will pull for them every game. 

I hear ya.  

28 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Incredible. I just added my third, and I don't even remember the first two. 

Welp, I don't reckon anyone ever accused me of being a nicer guy than you. Stay gold, Ponyboy!

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I could do without the WR quick screens. We don't execute them very well, yet Chad is in love with the play. Just cut out the WR screens (they are wasted plays IMO) and our chances of offensive success increase dramatically.

While I think like you that we overuse the quick screen they do have a purpose.  They are  effective for getting  the ball out of the QBs hand quickly when the D blitzes.  During the first four games we were running those longer slower developing pass routes while the blitz was coming with either Bo getting sacked or having to scramble out of the pocket.  We did a better job of getting the ball out of Bo's hand with receiver screens and quick slants.  However on a couple of those wide receiver screens I did note that there was not a blitz and Bo could have taken some time to look down the field for open receivers.

I have seen several plays where Flash was 3 yards behind the coverage but Bo couldn’t get him the ball because it was either just a poor throw on his part or he was running for his life because of the lack of protection.  Sometimes he just takes off when he has protection because He is so used to not having it.  As soon as Flash outruns the coverage a couple of times and Bo stands in the pocket and hits him in stride the defenders will back off the LOS.  That opens everything else up.  They need to just keep trying it till they hit one.  

2 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

The last drive of the 1st half is something I just cant unsee. 3 mins to go and I felt like Gus was playing for the FG.

I miss the Gus that had the guts to do this.. of course he doesn't have Superman now. 

45 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I have seen several plays where Flash was 3 yards behind the coverage but Bo couldn’t get him the ball because it was either just a poor throw on his part or he was running for his life because of the lack of protection.  Sometimes he just takes off when he has protection because He is so used to not having it.  As soon as Flash outruns the coverage a couple of times and Bo stands in the pocket and hits him in stride the defenders will back off the LOS.  That opens everything else up.  They need to just keep trying it till they hit one.  

That’s more like it. 

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

While I think like you that we overuse the quick screen they do have a purpose.  They are  effective for getting  the ball out of the QBs hand quickly when the D blitzes.  During the first four games we were running those longer slower developing pass routes while the blitz was coming with either Bo getting sacked or having to scramble out of the pocket.  We did a better job of getting the ball out of Bo's hand with receiver screens and quick slants.  However on a couple of those wide receiver screens I did note that there was not a blitz and Bo could have taken some time to look down the field for open receivers.

they tried a few times on Auburn's first TD drive, Schwartz was actually in motion when he got the ball, but running more or less sideways. then he has to pause to catch it, then turn fully up field.  If they could just find it in them to have him be running North/South when he catches it, that's the ticket.  (see 7:18 mark of Q1)

There's those great but anxious years where every snap.is critical and we're still alive late, making a run for the playoffs. There's those years of high expectations with the total disappointment over the losses we take. But now there's starting to be these "whatever' years. A year when you feel the same about a game, whether they win or not. A year 7-3, feels the same as 5-5. I bet the locker room feels the same. This whole season is the bowl game vs Central Florida. Overcast rainy games in empty stadiums played mid-morning. I think it's a sleep walker of a season. I don't see a crossroads. We could phone it in as a mulligan. The real trouble is, we're almost a lock to do the same thing next year. It's hard to care.

A win would make Auburn relevant in the SEC? The team that was losing to 1-4 Ole Miss with 1 minute left in the game? Ole Miss whose defense just improved from dead last nationaly to 2nd from bottom nationaly in defense? That doesn't seem like reality to me. Auburn can not make the playoffs, or win the SEC. The future is an unranked team playing with little fan support in a meaningless bowl. 3rd time in 6 years Auburn has gone from top 10 to unranked. Time to realistic about the state of Auburn football.

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I miss the Gus that had the guts to do this.. of course he doesn't have Superman now. 

Not to be argumentative, but it was only second down and only 7 seconds to go in the first half.  I just don’t see that as being a gutsy call.  That said, I will give Gus credit for being part of that championship run. 

4 hours ago, Amwest20 said:

Thanks I guess.  As my goal isn’t to be common or typical so I’ll find a way to take it as a compliment.  Im in my 30s since it matters.  You’re ...let’s see... A negatively opinionated fan of the Auburn football program which puts you in the significant majority....

Brother, it’s the program that’s negative, not  us’n...

26 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Brother, it’s the program that’s negative, not  us’n...

winning cures a lot,  but we ain't got a lot of wins left on the board, unless the coaches can improve a lot in the next couple of weeks. 

I think at some point A Green needs to do a cost-benefit analysis and project how keeping Gus will affect recruiting, DONATIONS, ticket sales, luxury box dollars etc..  How long did it take Pat Dye to turn things around?  2 seasons for the most part.   And I would venture to say there were less moving parts back then, which made it possibly easier.  

I think we have Gus for at least one more season.

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Not to be argumentative, but it was only second down and only 7 seconds to go in the first half.  I just don’t see that as being a gutsy call.  That said, I will give Gus credit for being part of that championship run. 

Valid point. Gutsy is probably the wrong term. I just think today if he had a 7 point lead he would sit on it. He has lost his pedal to the metal aggressiveness because he seems scared of what could go wrong. 

4 hours ago, Amwest20 said:

Quick screens haven’t been explosive. You can bet the farm that LSU will have prepared for them.  We need to run a couple(hopefully with more success) next week and then some sort of fake off of it to just keep them honest.  

Too complex. Yeah no doubt. 

4 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Exactly, and I wished he’d go back to the killer instinct he use to have. When he was OC in 2010 and the first year or two as HC, if we had a couple of minutes to go in the 2nd quarter,  I always felt certain we were going to steal a touchdown before the half. Now it’s shell mode and if we somehow manage to get within field goal range he’s a happy camper.

Just like the decision to go for it in Tuscaloser down 27-21, those were Chizik’s decisions.

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Incorrect. That was Chizik’s decision, not Gus’.

Archived