Amy Coney Barrett conformed to the SCOTUS

TitanTiger

18 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Let's hope not. Sad day for our country if it happens. 

Without an effective oppositional party, we become a one party government. 

So, if Republicans can and do use constitutional (lack of) limitations to maximize partisan power it's better for the country that Democrats do the same.

• 10 months later...

On 10/27/2020 at 3:47 PM, TitanTiger said:

First, that's a little crass.  But I do agree, she didn't plan that one out well.   In hindsight, she should have retired in 2012 or 2013 when Obama was in office with a Democratically controlled Senate.  I think that once the GOP took over the Senate in 2014, she thought perhaps she should wait until 2016.  Then it looks like the GOP has shot itself in the foot nominating a carnival barker like Trump and Clinton is almost certain to win, so perhaps after she's in office she'll step down.  We know what happens there so now she's trying to wait it out to 2020 and doesn't quite make it.

The time to make a move was 2012-13, and given her health history, she made a poor calculation.  I know no one wants to leave a job they love and feel they're good at.  But you have to be smart.  It's why barring death, I don't see Thomas or Alito stepping down before 2022 in hopes that the GOP will retake the Senate (which they're almost certain to lose in 2020).  They'll assess from there whether they think a GOP nominee has a chance to take down Biden in 2024 but if things don't look good and the GOP has the Senate, probably best for them to resign before 2024 and let Biden and a GOP Senate duke it out then rather than risk it swinging back to the Dems and getting a very liberal judge.

The only thing wrong with my post is that I didn't give proper attribution to the Dems for that sentiment.

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:25 AM, McLoofus said:

Speaking of reform, do any of y'all think that this advances the conversation about term limits for scotus judges?

Assuming for a second, and only for a second, that Trump doesn't hijack the election and our democracy, it seems like a continuous struggle and cycle of retaliation is inevitable at this point. Probably more compelling reasons for term limits, but it might mitigate the desperation of these appointments.

It will take an amendment to the constitution.  I don't see any chance of that happening.  One of the reasons for lifetime appointments was to isolate them from politics.  My fear would be that term limits would actually increase the political divisiveness.

• Like 2