Which teams do the least with the most?

GwillMac6

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

2 questions 

1). I know Gus sucks etc but what does this say about Kevin Steele and the defensive staff?  Up until this season the defense has been pretty stout.  Do you judge the defensive coaches the same way as Gus?

2) Wouldn’t you say the true indication of player development is the ability to make the NFL?  Auburn is tied for 10th as far as # of NFL players.  Based on the average NFL Id think most of these are Gus guys.  

This guy’s numbers are based on ESPN’s rankings.  I’d be interested to see other recruiting services numbers.4F8B8150-36C5-4EAC-B1A4-55C07F258229.png

Then why is he constantly underachieving with so many NFL guys? That would be my question.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

2 questions 

1). I know Gus sucks etc but what does this say about Kevin Steele and the defensive staff?  Up until this season the defense has been pretty stout.  Do you judge the defensive coaches the same way as Gus?

2) Wouldn’t you say the true indication of player development is the ability to make the NFL?  Auburn is tied for 10th as far as # of NFL players.  Based on the average NFL Id think most of these are Gus guys.  

This guy’s numbers are based on ESPN’s rankings.  I’d be interested to see other recruiting services numbers.4F8B8150-36C5-4EAC-B1A4-55C07F258229.png

So AU's top 10 for NFL players in the league - turns in top 10 recruiting classes - pays the coaching staff top 5 salaries. 

Please tell us why the hell Auburn can't find a way to end every season ranked in the top 10?

Please tell us why this coaching staff can't string together back to back 9 (NINE) win seasons?

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

A full list of our guys in the NFL answers some of that. Offensive guys that Gus can claim as a head coach in bold. If I'm not mistaken, KJ and Braden Smith are the only two taken in the first two rounds (both in the 2nd- none in the 1st). And he turned Slayton- now at least a top 25ish receiver in the NFL- into a 5th rounder. 

Peyton Barber, RB, Washington Football Team
Angelo Blackson, DE, Arizona Cardinals
Josh Bynes, LB, Cincinnati Bengals
Daniel Carlson, K, Las Vegas Raiders
Carlton Davis, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Carl Lawson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals
Cam Newton, QB, New England Patriots
Darius Slayton, WR, New York Giants 
Montravius Adams, DL, Green Bay Packers
Derrick Brown, DT, Carolina Panthers
Chandler Cox, FB, Miami Dolphins
Marlon Davidson, DT, Atlanta Falcons
Jamel Dean, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jack Driscoll, OT, Philadelphia Eagles
Dee Ford, DL, San Francisco 49ers
Rudy Ford, DB, Philadelphia Eagles
Josh Harris, LS, Atlanta Falcons
Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Miami Dolphins
Kerryon Johnson, RB, Detroit Lions
Jonathan Jones, DB, New England Patriots
Chad Slade, OG, New York Giants
Braden Smith, OL, Indianapolis Colts
Jarrett Stidham, QB, New England Patriots
Daniel Thomas, DB, Jacksonville Jaguars
Neiko Thorpe, CB, Seattle Seahawks
C.J. Uzomah, TE, Cincinnati Bengals 

DNP (Reserve/Injured)
Shon Coleman, OT, San Francisco 49ers 
Brandon King, LB, New England Patriots 
Dontavius Russell, DL, Jacksonville Jaguars 

Practice Squad
Daren Bates, LB, Tennessee Titans
Nick Coe, DE, Miami Dolphins
Javaris Davis, CB, Miami Dolphins 
Mike Horton, OG, Carolina Panthers
Cody Parkey, K, Cleveland Browns
Arryn Siposs, P, Detroit Lions
Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Philadelphia Eagles

I am not going to defend Malzahn. Player development on offense, which is supposed to be his big thing, has been really lacking.

However, these numbers do not tell the whole story. Steele and his assistants have, IMO, done quite a good job getting the most out of their defensive players and draft numbers tell the story. The D has taken 4* and even some 3* guys and put them in the league. Many were not top 300 recruits.

This is a rebuilding year on D with a lot of injuries to boot, but I am firmly in the camp with our defensive coaches. IMO, they do not under-achieve.

As for offense player development, the biggest problem is the OL, where recruiting has been abysmal, and QB where we see very tangible results every week of Malzahn's incompetence on display.  He's done better with RBs, IMO.

I’m just playing devils advocate.  At this point Auburn should be reloading and not rebuilding every year on both sides of the ball.  Gus to his credit let’s Steele do his thing on defense and the lack of offense can be blamed on Gus.  If the argument this article is making is Auburn has wasted talent from 2015-2017 then you’ve got to look at all the coaches.  Also this article is based off ESPN’s ratings.  How many players outside the 300 got drafted?  How many are still enrolled?  2016 would be seniors this year and 2017 only juniors right?  Unless I’m reading this incorrectly Auburn was in line with a lot of good programs in the other categories like All Conference, All Americans, and wasn’t that different from Bama as far as transfers.  Is it possible if we look at this in a year or 2 when all these players have processed the numbers look better?  

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I’m just playing devils advocate.  At this point Auburn should be reloading and not rebuilding every year on both sides of the ball.  Gus to his credit let’s Steele do his thing on defense and the lack of offense can be blamed on Gus.  If the argument this article is making is Auburn has wasted talent from 2015-2017 then you’ve got to look at all the coaches.  Also this article is based off ESPN’s ratings.  How many players outside the 300 got drafted?  How many are still enrolled?  2016 would be seniors this year and 2017 only juniors right?  Unless I’m reading this incorrectly Auburn was in line with a lot of good programs in the other categories like All Conference, All Americans, and wasn’t that different from Bama as far as transfers.  Is it possible if we look at this in a year or 2 when all these players have processed the numbers look better?  

Nah, year of class is year they are FR. so 15 class started playing in 15 season.

So Auburns 15 class top guys were Byron Cowart .99 (transfer) Kerryon Johnson .98 (NFL) Prince Tega  .948(NFL) Jeff Holland .945 (short NFL) Darius Slayton .938 (NFL) Ryan Davis .92 (NFL) Carlton Davis .89 was also a 4 star from that year, though a lower tiered 4 star.

The original article claims only 2 got drafted from 15,16, and 17 classes combined. But I don't know ESPNs stuff, cause I'm not paying for their BS.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

So AU's top 10 for NFL players in the league - turns in top 10 recruiting classes - pays the coaching staff top 5 salaries. 

Please tell us why the hell Auburn can't find a way to end every season ranked in the top 10?

Please tell us why this coaching staff can't string together back to back 9 (NINE) win seasons?

Let’s just say Auburn football has underachieved in all areas.

Moments of greatness but nothing consistent or sustainable.

We aren’t much different than most of the league except we fans keep expecting greatness and win the big ones.

War Eagle

I dont know whether to laugh or cry; 3 things you can count on are death, taxes, and when Auburn football is not in sync the media gleefully piles on. (Okay a 4th you can count on is if Auburn football's clicking - beating #1's back to back, showcasing the player of a generation (Cam), etc - it's because of cheating, luck, officiating,  unfair no huddle rules or overinflated footballs). Notre Dame has lead for decades in doing less with more. UGa has recruiting classes the last 4 years of #1, #1, #2 and #1 and have zip to show for it. This clown writer probably joined kiffen in diving for a dictionary to look up "impetus".  

That stings.  The only truly terrible category is the percentage of ESPN 300 recruits drafted. 

As much as it points toward issues with development, I think it also points toward issues with talent evaluation.  Calvin Ashley for example.

Yet another reason Gus must go.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, DAG said:

Wouldn’t you say the true indication of player development is the ability to make the NFL?

Danny Wuerffel was an unbelievable college QB. Manziel was a tremendous college QB. There are too many examples of great college players that have never made it passed training camps.  While it does show growth, it'd doesn't take into consideration a player's work ethic, coachability, or dedication. Your criteria on player development doesn't consider those types of players.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Danny Wuerffel was an unbelievable college QB. Manziel was a tremendous college QB. There are too many examples of great college players that have never made it passed training camps.  While it does show growth, it'd doesn't take into consideration a player's work ethic, coachability, or dedication. Your criteria on player development doesn't consider those types of players.

Iono why that attributes that quote to me but I did not say that . 

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

Iono why that attributes that quote to me but I did not say that . 

Yeah, that's strange. I'm not sure why either. Sorry.

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I dont know whether to laugh or cry; 3 things you can count on are death, taxes, and when Auburn football is not in sync the media gleefully piles on. (Okay a 4th you can count on is if Auburn football's clicking - beating #1's back to back, showcasing the player of a generation (Cam), etc - it's because of cheating, luck, officiating,  unfair no huddle rules or overinflated footballs). Notre Dame has lead for decades in doing less with more. UGa has recruiting classes the last 4 years of #1, #1, #2 and #1 and have zip to show for it. This clown writer probably joined kiffen in diving for a dictionary to look up "impetus".  

Yeah UGA has nothing to show for it, lol.

Since 2017:

39-8 overall

4-1 vs Auburn

1 SEC champ, 2 appearances

1 National Champ Game Appearance

Final rankings of 2, 7 and 4

Ya know just everything Auburn wants to be.

9 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Yeah UGA has nothing to show for it, lol.

Since 2017:

39-8 overall

4-1 vs Auburn

1 SEC champ, 2 appearances

1 National Champ Game Appearance

Final rankings of 2, 7 and 4

Ya know just everything Auburn wants to be.

Folks trying to downplay what kirby has accomplished sound like, well, uga fans.

I hate the guy. I hate the program. I hate the fans. And none of those would be true if they weren't winning a LOT and whipping our asses every year. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

And, not every great college player is built athletically or otherwise to continue it at the next level. I would say that a lot of people, not just experts, would have doubted that Weurffel would be a successful NFL quarterback.  Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley are classic examples from Auburn’s past. I think those guys probably both had the intangibles to succeed but not the physical makeup. No crime in that. AUs failure with guys that appear to have the physical tools is more discouraging

Archived