Pass routes

EastAl_Tiger

I would have to guess the OC is responsible for the passing game.  I have watched the offense and the routes seem to be predetermined because I watch the receivers and the QB and did not see any real communication to set the routes based on the defense.   Furthermore, for the most part the play was so set that they didn't change the routes when a blitz was coming especially on 3rd and long.  Although this last game they did a better job on getting it quickly out of the QBs hands on the 3rd and long situations.

I disagree a bit. I haven’t watched every route run, but a lot of the misfires that I’ve seen where Bo throws out and the receiver goes in, or Bo throws a go and the receiver curls look a lot like option routes with a QB and WR that don’t have rapport or experience throwing/running option  routes. 

There was a lot of talk that Chad simplified the pass routes last week.  Whether you think that’s Gus imposing or Chad realizing Bo and the Wrs werent on the same page are up to your interpretation.

I’d say Chad is over the route design.  There’s obviously some form of option routes involved with the receivers but we haven’t executed that aspect of the offense yet.

3 hours ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

Which coach is responsible for designing the pass routes?  Do the receivers have ability to change the routes based on the defense?

Yes, the receivers have the option of adjusting their routes but that has caused some issues with the QB and WR not always on the same page. This is something that Morris brought to the passing game.

reason I ask is that on multiple occasions there will be 2 receivers in the same area clogging up things and bringing their DBs with them. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

on a different note, on Auburn's first TD drive, on the 3rd and short, quick slant to Seth, #80 almost had to stop his route to avoid being hit by the ball. The LB who was sliding to cover him was practically in the path of the ball.  Now, was this by design? (hope not) or a mistake on #80's part? I mean, everyone in the huddle knew where the ball was going so I would think I'd avoid that area if I was another WR

On 10/28/2020 at 9:23 PM, EastAl_Tiger said:

reason I ask is that on multiple occasions there will be 2 receivers in the same area clogging up things and bringing their DBs with them. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

on a different note, on Auburn's first TD drive, on the 3rd and short, quick slant to Seth, #80 almost had to stop his route to avoid being hit by the ball. The LB who was sliding to cover him was practically in the path of the ball.  Now, was this by design? (hope not) or a mistake on #80's part? I mean, everyone in the huddle knew where the ball was going so I would think I'd avoid that area if I was another WR

A lot of the time that's a timing and route development issue.  Not having spring ball hampered a lot of those little things being worked out.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

A lot of the time that's a timing and route development issue.  Not having spring ball hampered a lot of those little things being worked out.

I remember reading that a big part of Petrino's success was what a perfectionist he was with his receivers' routes. He would drill them to the point that they could run a route 20 times in a row and it would be *exactly* the same each time. 

On 10/30/2020 at 8:00 AM, McLoofus said:

I remember reading that a big part of Petrino's success was what a perfectionist he was with his receivers' routes. He would drill them to the point that they could run a route 20 times in a row and it would be *exactly* the same each time. 

I think you heard that from me lol. Nay, I am going to take credit for it. But it is true . Talking to Arkansas athletes from warren like Greg Childs and Jairus Wright, it was very true. He was keen on the smallest details. That is great coaching IMO.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think you heard that from me lol. Nay, I am going to take credit for it. But it is true . Talking to Arkansas athletes from warren like Greg Childs and Jairus Wright, it was very true. He was keen on the smallest details. That is great coaching IMO.

I heard it here first, folks!

On 10/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, nutspanther said:

I disagree a bit. I haven’t watched every route run, but a lot of the misfires that I’ve seen where Bo throws out and the receiver goes in, or Bo throws a go and the receiver curls look a lot like option routes with a QB and WR that don’t have rapport or experience throwing/running option  routes. 

Every college team (except maybe like the triple option teams) run option routes. Leaks from Malzahn's playbook back when he was an OC had option routes. It's nothing special, pretty standard nowadays.

I know some people think we have a passing tree from 1922. But we do actually run these concepts, as do basically every other team worth talking about.

Archived