JBoy with Sean White

Win4AU

Not a ton of inside info or anything like that but still a good short listen.  Most under appreciated QB for Auburn in at least the last 30 years IMO.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Listening now. Sean seems very upbeat. Good to hear.

Yeah I was worried he would fall off the deep end after his ending at Auburn. Glad to hear he's still out there

Man. He's really been keeping up with the league. I wonder if he's angling for an analyst role. He sounds like one. Knows his stuff and sounds very polished in relaying it. 

39 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Most under appreciated QB for Auburn in at least the last 30 years IMO.

I honestly think Nick Marshall was the most underappreciated QB. I mean, a lot of casual Auburn fans didn't even think he was a very good QB. Most think he wasn't a good thrower, despite what he did in 2014.

Sean White had a very unfortunate career in that he never played against bama, due to injuries. And he was never healthy for the Georgia game either.

I’m guilty of stereotyping sometimes.....but he is doing tons better than I had imagined he might be. Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting..

10 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

I honestly think Nick Marshall was the most underappreciated QB. I mean, a lot of casual Auburn fans didn't even think he was a very good QB. Most think he wasn't a good thrower, despite what he did in 2014.

Sean White had a very unfortunate career in that he never played against bama, due to injuries. And he was never healthy for the Georgia game either.

Fair point but I would argue that folks now realize they were wrong about Nick. I don't think that many have changed their minds about Sean.

(And Nick wasn't a particularly accurate thrower in 2014, either. But he was a damned good quarterback. Just took a lot of us some time to understand that both can be true.)

45 minutes ago, copper4eva said:

I would agree NM#14 was under appreciated when he was here, but I will argue that most fans, thanks to Gus, now realize just how special and talented NM#14 was. Kid had one of the best arms I have seen at college level. He wasn't super accurate, but he didn't have to be. He was clutch in the moment and that was his best trait.

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I would agree NM#14 was under appreciated when he was here, but I will argue that most fans, thanks to Gus, now realize just how special and talented NM#14 was. Kid had one of the best arms I have seen at college level. He wasn't super accurate, but he didn't have to be. He was clutch in the moment and that was his best trait.

A straight magician with the ball. Unbelievably quick and elusive runner as well. I sure under appreciated him while he was here. I mean we had JJ waiting and all 🤦‍♂️

And his two years turned out to be the best 2 years of the Malzahn era. Certainly did not see that coming. 

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I mean we had JJ waiting and all

Suuuuuuch an important part of the conversation. And I think that's pretty common- as the saying goes, the backup QB is always everyone's favorite player- but it was really acute with us during those years. The first half of that 2014 Arkansas game fanned the flames big time. But also, I think we just wanted so badly to see an Auburn QB throw the ball around like a Manning- we still do- and we thought we had the guy to do it. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Suuuuuuch an important part of the conversation. And I think that's pretty common- as the saying goes, the backup QB is always everyone's favorite player- but it was really acute with us during those years. The first half of that 2014 Arkansas game fanned the flames big time. But also, I think we just wanted so badly to see an Auburn QB throw the ball around like a Manning- we still do- and we thought we had the guy to do it. 

I think that's an understatedly huge part of the Auburn "psyche" so to speak. People always want novelty and what they can't have. Auburn's had more powerhouse running games than you can shake a stick at but has never consistently had a "throw-it-all-over-the-yard" passing attack. I think subconsciously it's something we all want to see. I think it's a huge part of the reason expectations for JJ were so high, it's why everyone fell head over heels for Stidham after A-day and it's probably part of why there's such profound disappointment in Bo right now. 

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Not a ton of inside info or anything like that but still a good short listen.  Most under appreciated QB for Auburn in at least the last 30 years IMO.

To make this statement correct you would have to mention that Sean White was the most under appreciated Auburn QB ever to Gus Malzhan.  The guy literally saved his job to allow him to make it to 2017.  Gus turned his back on Sean’s issues (Gus has to win after all) and when he had Stidham, threw SW out like yesterday’s trash.

I’ll never forgive the guy for that.

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To make this statement correct you would have to mention that Sean White was the most under appreciated Auburn QB ever to Gus Malzhan.  The guy literally saved his job to allow him to make it to 2017.  Gus turned his back on Sean’s issues (Gus has to win after all) and when he had Stidham, threw SW out like yesterday’s trash.

I'm not a huge Stidham fan at all and I'm certainly not going to defend Gus but Sean had something to do with that whole senario playing out like it did. I really liked Sean but he seemed to not have his priorities in order to be the QB we needed. JS was a hot commodity and I think we all thought we would be in good shape with him at the helm on offense. That was, of course, when I still believed Gus was going to get it right. I liked Sean because he was tough as nails, to his detriment, and I also liked Brandon Cox for the same reason. Not world beaters but I'd go to battle with either of them. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I'm not a huge Stidham fan at all and I'm certainly not going to defend Gus but Sean had something to do with that whole senario playing out like it did. I really liked Sean but he seemed to not have his priorities in order to be the QB we needed. JS was a hot commodity and I think we all thought we would be in good shape with him at the helm on offense. That was, of course, when I still believed Gus was going to get it right. I liked Sean because he was tough as nails, to his detriment, and I also liked Brandon Cox for the same reason. Not world beaters but I'd go to battle with either of them. 

Yeah. I thought everyone knew that Sean had some issues away from the field that were ultimately what did in his career. Gus didn't necessarily handle Sean's football development any better than he did any other of his QBs, but I don't think he deserves any harsh criticism on a personal level.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Sean had more than once chance to fix his issues. At what point do you hold the individual accountable? Gus is a dummy but SW was his own worst enemy. 

26 minutes ago, gr82be said:

That’s a popular believe and my take is not main stream, so to speak, but Sean had his issues from day one, as I recall.  So why did it take Gus 3 years to suspend him?  The same three years that Gus should have lost his job if he hadn’t had a QB to save him.  Why did Gus enable him by playing him when the issues were known?  Gus suspended him for good reason at the beginning of 2017 and when it came time to play the backup in game 4 (I believe) why did Gus put in Malik Miller and leave Sean on the bench?  If you don’t remember, after that game is when Sean somehow ended up at the Auburn Police Station inebriated.  Do you treat a play/person that way when you know he has substance issues?

Yes, Sean was ultimately responsible for his situation, but it appears (in my view) Gus used him until he was of no use.  Obviously, it is hind sight, but you can’t tell me Gus ever looked out for Sean’s well being.  There are too many instances where Sean should not have played except Gus had NO ONE ELSE.

4 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Sean had more than once chance to fix his issues. At what point do you hold the individual accountable? Gus is a dummy but SW was his own worst enemy. 

It should be a cooperative effort to fix the issues.  Allowing a player to still play when he has issues is not the way you fix those issues.  Gus enabled Sean for three years, why would Sean want to fix his issues?  There was no reward for fixing his issues if he was going to play anyway.  Please point to the times Gus gave Sean a chance to fix his issues other then the 2 game suspension at the beginning of 2017.  By that time, it was too late.

Gus chose to win games instead of fixing Sean’s issues.  It’s Sean’s responsibility to fix his issues, but he needed a little help.  Ultimately, it’s Sean’s problem and it appears he has done so, at least I hope.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Man. He's really been keeping up with the league. I wonder if he's angling for an analyst role. He sounds like one. Knows his stuff and sounds very polished in relaying it. 

I agree. Great interview and perspective from Sean. 

Also super glad that it seems like he’s gotten his ish together. 

To me the saddest QB story is JJ. Never stood a chance and all sympathy he could/should get went straight to SW. But that's me. If SW can stay objective talking about this he's more than professional enough to be an analyst

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I always thought Sean had that 'it' factor for a QB, where he could think and progress in his mind what he needed to do on the field. He could move around in the pocket, feel pressure, go through progressions. All that is what completes a QB IMO.

But poor Sean had 2 football problems. 1. He simply was not built strong enough to withstand the hits. 2. He could be so accurate up to so many yards, but his arm strength was so limited, anything over 15-20 yards, his velocity went down and anything farther than that his accuracy was going to be off. 

But I really liked him as a possible complete QB...and glad he got over his other problems...

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

To me the saddest QB story is JJ. Never stood a chance and all sympathy he could/should get went straight to SW. But that's me. If SW can stay objective talking about this he's more than professional enough to be an analyst

Breaks my heart. I know we would never be able to know...but sometimes I wonder if he hadn't done quite as good in HS...still great but just a few notches down...hadn't won Mr. Football.....didn't come in and start the Arky game and absolutely kill it.....basically....If he hadn't had all that hype for a year and a half....would the same thing have happened?  He was built up so much and then when he struggle early I think it just wrecked his confidence. Had he not been so hyped he probably would have had a bit easier time overcoming it. 

While we are playing what ifs.....heck what if he went to AL? He probably would have been starting in place of Coker/Hurts and probably wins a couple natties under the tutelage of Joey Freshwater. Kid had amazing talent. Sad :(

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It’s sad that someone who showed such promise take a nose dive when his time was called.  A lot of players fall into this category and never really get an opportunity to play their way back onto the playing field.   It’s a shame because after seeing him play the first half of the Arkansas game, I thought Auburn was set for years at the QB position 

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Breaks my heart. I know we would never be able to know...but sometimes I wonder if he hadn't done quite as good in HS...still great but just a few notches down...hadn't won Mr. Football.....didn't come in and start the Arky game and absolutely kill it.....basically....If he hadn't had all that hype for a year and a half....would the same thing have happened?  He was built up so much and then when he struggle early I think it just wrecked his confidence. Had he not been so hyped he probably would have had a bit easier time overcoming it. 

While we are playing what ifs.....heck what if he went to AL? He probably would have been starting in place of Coker/Hurts and probably wins a couple natties under the tutelage of Joey Freshwater. Kid had amazing talent. Sad :(

I think you can tell a version of this story with just about every one of Gus' QBs save Nick Marshall. What if JJ wound up at MS State and became Dak Prescott's heir apparent? If Dan Mullen can turn Chris Relf and Nick Fitzgerald into serviceable QBs, he likely could've done the same or better with JJ. What if Stidham wound up at Oklahoma and succeeded Baker Mayfield? 

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don't get this. Sean White broke team rules after losing the starting job and got dismissed from the team.

Gus didn't throw SW out like yesterday's trash. Ridiculous statement.

Archived