JBoy with Sean White

Win4AU

All the wasted talent we've had at quarterback is such a shame. Wonder what Sean White would have done in the McElwain offense at Bama. Wonder what Jeremy Johnson would Jeremy Johnson would have done in Lincoln Riley's offense at Oklahoma. Wonder what Stidham would have done in the Brady offense at LSU. Wonder what Bo Nix would do in the Mullen offense at Florida. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, copper4eva said:

I don't get this. Sean White broke team rules after losing the starting job and got dismissed from the team.

Gus didn't throw SW out like yesterday's trash. Ridiculous statement.

SW saved Gus’ job in 2015 and 2016 even with the personal problems Sean had.  Gus didn’t address Sean’s problems because he needed Sean to win games, so Gus kept enabling Sean until 2017.  Yes, Sean White broke team rules in 2017.  Is it possible Sean broke those rules in 2015 and 2016, but was not punished?  There is a high probability of this, so why did Gus wait to suspend Sean in his 3rd year?  Why would Gus, knowing Sean has a substance problem, play Malik Willis (a true freshman) ahead of him when Sean was off his suspension?  If Gus wanted to keep Sean engaged he would have played him.  That night after the game Sean ended up at the Auburn Police Department inebriated. Coincidence?

Gus seldom had much confidence in SW, he used him to win so he could further his career.  Not that much of a ridiculous statement at all., it is my opinion though.

Can you lay out a different timeline where Gus was all in with SW?  How he tried to help him with his problems?  

1 hour ago, AUAlumnTN said:

I think you can tell a version of this story with just about every one of Gus' QBs save Nick Marshall. What if JJ wound up at MS State and became Dak Prescott's heir apparent? If Dan Mullen can turn Chris Relf and Nick Fitzgerald into serviceable QBs, he likely could've done the same or better with JJ. What if Stidham wound up at Oklahoma and succeeded Baker Mayfield? 

I have to agree with you here. The reason NM and Cam were so successful was mainly due to their freakish athletic ability. Auburn is not known for recruiting big time QBs like UGA and Clemson, but when we do, the common variable since GM took over as HC is that they never reach the potential they may could have reached under a true OC. I have ragged on Bo plenty, because many of his mistakes are not on coaching, but he is quite an athlete that is being wasted away in whatever system this is that we are trying to run. You have two offensive minded high school coaches who are getting out schemed week in and week out. The sad thing for Nix is, that even tho this year won’t count toward eligibility, it is a year where he is not growing more into a true college QB. He looks lost a lot and has nobody calling plays to put the offense in a good situation. Tank will be 3 and gone and chances are his talents will be wasted much like Nix’s due to friends hiring friends to call the exact plays they learned from them 8 and 10 years ago with nothing updated to account for defenses getting smarter. It’s just a cluster _ _ _ _ of a cycle. 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

But poor Sean had 2 football problems. 1. He simply was not built strong enough to withstand the hits. 2. He could be so accurate up to so many yards, but his arm strength was so limited, anything over 15-20 yards, his velocity went down and anything farther than that his accuracy was going to be off. 

But I really liked him as a possible complete QB...and glad he got over his other problems...

If you combined Sean’s poise and brains with Jeremy’s body and Franklins elusiveness you’d have a pretty good QB.  Each of those guys was missing something.

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

I have to agree with you here. The reason NM and Cam were so successful was mainly due to their freakish athletic ability. Auburn is not known for recruiting big time QBs like UGA and Clemson, but when we do, the common variable since GM took over as HC is that they never reach the potential they may could have reached under a true OC. I have ragged on Bo plenty, because many of his mistakes are not on coaching, but he is quite an athlete that is being wasted away in whatever system this is that we are trying to run. You have two offensive minded high school coaches who are getting out schemed week in and week out. The sad thing for Nix is, that even tho this year won’t count toward eligibility, it is a year where he is not growing more into a true college QB. He looks lost a lot and has nobody calling plays to put the offense in a good situation. Tank will be 3 and gone and chances are his talents will be wasted much like Nix’s due to friends hiring friends to call the exact plays they learned from them 8 and 10 years ago with nothing updated to account for defenses getting smarter. It’s just a cluster _ _ _ _ of a cycle. 

Gus is basically Paul Johnson with self-esteem issues. He still wants to run his uptempo, mutant single-wing spread but doesn't recruit for it (not in earnest anyway) and tries to square-peg, round-hole the pieces he has into it. His offense worked in 2010 and 2013/14 because the stars aligned and gifted him with rosters and QBs that fit his philosophy perfectly. He doesn't know how to mold the offense to fit the talents of the people he has and he ESPECIALLY doesn't know how to do it when he can't run the ball. 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

SW saved Gus’ job in 2015 and 2016 even with the personal problems Sean had.  Gus didn’t address Sean’s problems because he needed Sean to win games, so Gus kept enabling Sean until 2017.  Yes, Sean White broke team rules in 2017.  Is it possible Sean broke those rules in 2015 and 2016, but was not punished?  There is a high probability of this, so why did Gus wait to suspend Sean in his 3rd year?  Why would Gus, knowing Sean has a substance problem, play Malik Miller (a true freshman) ahead of him when Sean was off his suspension?  If Gus wanted to keep Sean engaged he would have played him.  That night after the game Sean ended up at the Auburn Police Department inebriated. Coincidence?

Gus seldom had much confidence in SW, he used him to win so he could further his career.  Not that much of a ridiculous statement at all., it is my opinion though.

Can you lay out a different timeline where Gus was all in with SW?  How he tried to help him with his problems?  

Impossible to lay out a timeline like that, but SW while talented, came unraveled in his personal life. Nobody has saved GM’s job but the moron that AU put into the position as President that gave him what is now being referred to as one of the 2 or 3 most moronic contracts in NCAAF history. The reason Gus and AU keep looking ridiculous year in and year out is because a now retired/fired/absent person in charge made it damn near impossible for at least five to seven years to dismiss him without looking like the dumbest University on the Planet. Look at FSU since Fisher left. AU is in the same boat and this year will be another pass and another off season of recruiting that we fall father behind the rest of the West. 

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

If you combined Sean’s poise and brains with Jeremy’s body and Franklins elusiveness you’d have Cameron Newton.  Each of those guys was missing something.

FIFY

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Why do you say that?

One , they offered him late.

two, they gave JJ quite a bit of time to redeem himself before just handing the reigns over to SW and then they did it again at the beginning of 2016

three: they bought in a JUCO athlete to play QB because they truly did not believe in SW being a starter 

One thing that really pissed me off was how much they handcuffed him after his interception on the first drive against Mississippi State. After that drive they played conservative for the most part during the whole 2015 season. 

And no disrespect , I am not trying to blame CGM for SW decisions as a grown man, but being in healthcare and now mental health, little things like that can indirectly influence your decision. Again, not blaming CGM. But the stresses in your life can lead to major destructive decisions in your life and I wonder how much help did he really have underneath the scenes.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

two, they gave JJ quite a bit of time to redeem himself before just handing the reigns over to SW and then they did it again at the beginning of 2016

threw: they bought in a JUCO athlete to play QB because they truly did not believe in SW being a starter 

One thing that really pissed me off was how much they handcuffed him after his interception on the first drive against Mississippi State. After that drive they played conservative for the most part during the whole 2015 season. 

Knew you were going to bring up that MSU game! We were there, and I've never been so pissed at a play caller. That pick wasn't even THAT bad, considering he brought us all the way down the field. Kid just trying to make a play to put up six and got greedy. 

Good point about JFIII. Forgot the timing of that. 

I think I sometimes I bury different spans of our history with Gus in the deep recesses of my brain to protect me from reliving my pain. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And no disrespect , I am not trying to blame CGM for SW decisions as a grown man, but being in healthcare and now mental health, little things like that can indirectly influence your decision. Again, not blaming CGM. But the stresses in your life can lead to major destructive decisions in your life and I wonder how much help did he really have underneath the scenes.

On the other side of that coin are the ways that he unnecessarily built JJ up in the media. 

NFL talent...most guys like him would have left for another program...could start for any team in the country...

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Knew you were going to bring up that MSU game! We were there, and I've never been so pissed at a play caller. That pick wasn't even THAT bad, considering he brought us all the way down the field. Kid just trying to make a play to put up six and got greedy. 

I think I sometimes I bury different spans of our history with Gus in the deep recesses of my brain to protect me from reliving my pain. 

Exactly . I loved the play calling and I could live with that interception although you never want a turnover in the endzone. SW was down on the sideline and then you validate this buy choosing to not go aggressive and call very, very conservative. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's a lot of burying in the case of Gus.  You can actually say that you've forgotten more football than someone else remembers and mean it. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly . I loved the play calling and I could live with that interception although you never want a turnover in the endzone. SW was down on the sideline and then you validate this buy choosing to not go aggressive and call very, very conservative. 

If you recall, he opened it back up very late in the 4th Q, when it was far too late. Of course, Sean started moving the ball again. God I forgot what a struggle that was. 

9 hours ago, copper4eva said:

I honestly think Nick Marshall was the most underappreciated QB. I mean, a lot of casual Auburn fans didn't even think he was a very good QB. Most think he wasn't a good thrower, despite what he did in 2014.

Sean White had a very unfortunate career in that he never played against bama, due to injuries. And he was never healthy for the Georgia game either.

Over two years...

60.2 completion percentage 

4,508 passing yards

34 passing touchdowns

1,866 rushing yards

24 rushing touchdowns

Yeah I'll take that all day any day

25 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

After watching Last Chance U I was absolutely ******* livid we offered a BACKUP who played in one game and had attitude problems...

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

After watching Last Chance U I was absolutely ******* livid we offered a BACKUP who played in one game and had attitude problems...

Yea and there people on here wanting him to start over SW

1 hour ago, DAG said:

three: they bought in a JUCO athlete to play QB because they truly did not believe in SW being a starter 

I have to disagree with the jj quite a bit time part they gave up on him pretty early but they weren't going to send Sean out against LSU.  The way they ruined two QB's was incredible. Also if you add how they also through poor leadership let jovon Robinson, roc Thomas, and Duke Johnson just say bye to all their talent and careers as auburn. Then it's not even that he recruited jf3 but didn't go after the guy that starred at Virginia tech. And for all I know jf3 may have been teachable to be a serviceable QB we didn't see it but I don't trust Gus with any QB. That's everybody fall back is nobody can throw. It's hilarious how our fan base still listens and believe the coaches on some QB's but other guys they blame Gus for every thing. I also just want to say again how Gus offered jf3 but not Lamar Jackson.... If Jackson had come here he'd be another guy we never saw and everybody would be saying he can't throw

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have to disagree with the jj quite a bit time part they gave up on him pretty early but they weren't going to send Sean out against LSU.  The way they ruined two QB's was incredible. Also if you add how they also through poor leadership let jovon Robinson, roc Thomas, and Duke Johnson just say bye to all their talent and careers as auburn. Then it's not even that he recruited jf3 but didn't go after the guy that starred at Virginia tech. And for all I know jf3 may have been teachable to be a serviceable QB we didn't see it but I don't trust Gus with any QB. That's everybody fall back is nobody can throw. It's hilarious how our fan base still listens and believe the coaches on some QB's but other guys they blame Gus for every thing. I also just want to say again how Gus offered jf3 but not Lamar Jackson.... If Jackson had come here he'd be another guy we never saw and everybody would be saying he can't throw

I think my problem with the LSU game was JJ confidence. By that time his confidence was shot and I think a smart coach would’ve sat him down and let him regroup. After that game he pretty much was ostracized to a point, Gus couldn’t put him back in. Gus then decides to use a 3 QB attack out of nowhere in the Clemson game when supposedly they were practicing all pre season with SW leading. So that failed everybody.

I didn’t have a problem with him bringing JF3 in. My problem was bringing him in and putting all of your marbles on him when he didn’t really have the best experience even at the JUCO level. To me JF3 should’ve came to auburn as an athlete . I thought we should should’ve gotten the dude form v.tech. I really don’t understand to this day why we didn’t offer him when if I remember correctly he really wanted an Auburn offer. There is no reason why we couldn’t have gotten both. 

IMO Sean should have been in after halftime of the LSU game getting reps.  The first time I started to really wonder about Gus was watching how much more competent Sean looked as a true freshman compared to JJ who had been in the system 2 years.  I’ve never been to a practice or a scrimmage but I have a hard time imagining that Sean didn’t look better there as well.  Starting JJ was loyalty which I respect but (hopefully) Gus had to know that Sean was the better Qb.  I’m not going to go crazy and say 2016 could have been a championship season but what if Sean played the entire Clemson game and he and Pettway didn’t get hurt to end the year?  I’ve never wished a player away but if the transfer portal was a thing in 2017 I’d have cheered him on if he chose to leave.  @DAG hit my point on being under appreciated on the head.  Gus Malzahn doesn’t survive 2016 with JJ and JF3.

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think my problem with the LSU game was JJ confidence. By that time his confidence was shot and I think a smart coach would’ve sat him down and let him regroup. After that game he pretty much was ostracized to a point, Gus couldn’t put him back in. Gus then decides to use a 3 QB attack out of nowhere in the Clemson game when supposedly they were practicing all pre season with SW leading. So that failed everybody.

I didn’t have a problem with him bringing JF3 in. My problem was bringing him in and putting all of your marbles on him when he didn’t really have the best experience even at the JUCO level. To me JF3 should’ve came to auburn as an athlete . I thought we should should’ve gotten the dude form v.tech. I really don’t understand to this day why we didn’t offer him when if I remember correctly he really wanted an Auburn offer. There is no reason why we couldn’t have gotten both. 

Always felt like JJ and Kiehl Frazier both got bucked hard and could never get back on the bull.

By everything I saw of KF coming out of high school there's no reason he wasn't a stud. Other than trash coaching and system.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Always felt like JJ and Kiehl Frazier both got bucked hard and could never get back on the bull.

By everything I saw of KF coming out of high school there's no reason he wasn't a stud. Other than trash coaching and system.

Trying to turn Kiehl into a pro set Qb in 2012 probably didn’t help either.

Archived