Well, Jones lost...

DKW 86

I am very sad today. Jones lost. He did what I feel was a great job as a Senator. Reached across the aisle and did what was best for all of us.

The politics in Alabama being what they are, TT will likely be senator for life too. I hope he grows into the part. I dont see him as really qualified today, and from his responses to some questions, I dont think he will be up to speed soon. 

Hope he does well. 

Jones, he is likely off to DC to work in the DOJ, maybe even selected as AG for the Biden Administration if all ends well. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tubs is the exact brand of grifting swamp water that the GOP has claimed they want to drain Washington of. The bull**** and hypocrisy have never been more apparent. He will never lift a finger to do anything that doesn't benefit him or his donors financially. 

I hope his congressional obligations don't interfere with duck season too much. 

"Massachusetts is as Democratic a state as you will ever find, and yet five of the last six governors have been Republicans. A smart, decent, principled, center-right Republican can find success even in America's most liberal state.

But in Alabama, a smart, decent, principled, centrist Democrat running to retain his Senate seat, which he won only because he was running against a child molester, was trounced by an ignorant, right-wing Republican retired gym teacher, by more than 20 points.

Blue America is what this nation aspires to be. Red America is the depths to which this nation has fallen."

suehall

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"Massachusetts is as Democratic a state as you will ever find, and yet five of the last six governors have been Republicans. A smart, decent, principled, center-right Republican can find success even in America's most liberal state.

But in Alabama, a smart, decent, principled, centrist Democrat running to retain his Senate seat, which he won only because he was running against a child molester, was trounced by an ignorant, right-wing Republican retired gym teacher, by more than 20 points.

Blue America is what this nation aspires to be. Red America is the depths to which this nation has fallen."

suehall

Out of likes but a million times, this. 

No shocker here. Jones was ok given the situation but this isn't Mass.....the elites run that show up there. 

35 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

No shocker here. Jones was ok given the situation but this isn't Mass.....the elites run that show up there. 

Bro, with all the love in the world...TT is not qualified in almost any way to be a Senator. He is woefully unready for the job. 
Jones was not some raving anti-Conservative. He was a thinking man that i agreed with about 85% or more of the time. 
True, we did not see eye-to-eye on abortion, but the rest was almost a slam dunk. 

TT, I like the guy but he is not ready for the Media Spotlight in DC nor is he tempramentally suited for this job. He just isnt. 
"Well, he is a good Christian man..." Suffice it to say that Tommy is from one the far more conservative denoms in the South. 
Grace is not among the words he uses to describe his walk. 

Doug will make a great public servant going forward and Tommy may one day make a great one. I truly do not see him anywhere near ready at this time. 

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I feel like these election results were able to make just about everyone miserable. Impressive.

Eh. I knew Jones was a foregone conclusion. 

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Bro, with all the love in the world...TT is not qualified in almost any way to be a Senator. He is woefully unready for the job. 
Jones was not some raving anti-Conservative. He was a thinking man that i agreed with about 85% or more of the time. 
True, we did not see eye-to-eye on abortion, but the rest was almost a slam dunk. 

TT, I like the guy but he is not ready for the Media Spotlight in DC nor is he tempramentally suited for this job. He just isnt. 
"Well, he is a good Christian man..." Suffice it to say that Tommy is from one the far more conservative denoms in the South. 
Grace is not among the words he uses to describe his walk. 

Doug will make a great public servant going forward and Tommy may one day make a great one. I truly do not see him anywhere near ready at this time. 

The reason Jones didn't get re-elected is because he did not vote the way his constituents wanted him to. 

Tuberville has absolutely no business being a senator but he had no chance to lose the election. The fact that he beat Sessions reveals just how blindly AL voters follow Trump. Whether you like Sessions or not, if you are a conservative and want your senator to have influence, then you are crazy not to want Sessions over Tuberville. I think Sessions would have been a good senator during a Biden presidency.

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

I feel like these election results were able to make just about everyone miserable. Impressive.

pretty consistent with how 2020 has been going 

22 hours ago, Grumps said:

The reason Jones didn't get re-elected is because he did not vote the way his constituents wanted him to. 

Tuberville has absolutely no business being a senator but he had no chance to lose the election. The fact that he beat Sessions reveals just how blindly AL voters follow Trump. Whether you like Sessions or not, if you are a conservative and want your senator to have influence, then you are crazy not to want Sessions over Tuberville. I think Sessions would have been a good senator during a Biden presidency.

Grumps, you do have some good points. However, the constituent thing can get dicey. Most “constituents” are ill informed and simply not up to speed on the workings of government. Do they have opinions they embrace and vote upon? ....oh, hell yeah! Does that make them right? ....oh, hell no! 

It seems you believe Trump should not have been impeached. Fair enough. However, if Obama had been charged with the exact same offenses that Trump was, I suspect you’d support impeachment. Correct me if I’ve drawn the wrong impression.

Their is no question Doug Jones has and would best represent the daily interest of the citizens of Alabama. Please note that impeachment is an aberration...with zero connection to the daily lives of Alabama.

I do agree totally that Sessions would have been a far better representative. However, let’s look at the pattern...Trump has an axe to grind with Sessions, because Sessions is an honorable man intent on doing the right thing. Trump says vote Tuberville. The people of Alabama vote Tuberville. In the general election Jones is branded as left of Bernie. Trump says vote Tuberville. Alabama votes Tuberville.  IMHO it is very sad.

21 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Grumps, you do have some good points. However, the constituent thing can get dicey. Most “constituents” are ill informed and simply not up to speed on the workings of government. Do they have opinions they embrace and vote upon? ....oh, hell yeah! Does that make them right? ....oh, hell no! 

It seems you believe Trump should not have been impeached. Fair enough. However, if Obama had been charged with the exact same offenses that Trump was, I suspect you’d support impeachment. Correct me if I’ve drawn the wrong impression.

Their is no question Doug Jones has and would best represent the daily interest of the citizens of Alabama. Please note that impeachment is an aberration...with zero connection to the daily lives of Alabama.

I do agree totally that Sessions would have been a far better representative. However, let’s look at the pattern...Trump has an axe to grind with Sessions, because Sessions is an honorable man intent on doing the right thing. Trump says vote Tuberville. The people of Alabama vote Tuberville. In the general election Jones is branded as left of Bernie. Trump says vote Tuberville. Alabama votes Tuberville.  IMHO it is very sad.

In my opinion, successful politicians must be able to do some of what their constituents want and some of making their constituents want what the politician does. If a politician tells me that she/he didn't do what I wanted her/her to do because what I wanted isn't the best thing for me then I won't vote for that politician. Jones chose to toe the party line, and I don't blame him, but that is why he was never going to get re-elected.

No, I don't think Trump should have been impeached. I think it was a political stunt. There was not much evidence and everyone knew what the outcome was going to be before the impeachment started. Trump is a horrible person, but being horrible is not an impeachable offense.

On 11/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, Grumps said:

This is sort of ironic coming from the side who is always stressing the "republican' aspect of our democracy.  <_<

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

In my opinion, successful politicians must be able to do some of what their constituents want and some of making their constituents want what the politician does. If a politician tells me that she/he didn't do what I wanted her/her to do because what I wanted isn't the best thing for me then I won't vote for that politician. Jones chose to toe the party line, and I don't blame him, but that is why he was never going to get re-elected.

No, I don't think Trump should have been impeached. I think it was a political stunt. There was not much evidence and everyone knew what the outcome was going to be before the impeachment started. Trump is a horrible person, but being horrible is not an impeachable offense.

Grumps, thanks for your perspective. You did however, avoid my question. If Obama had been charged with the same offenses as Trump would you have supported impeachment?

2 hours ago, tomcat said:

Grumps, thanks for your perspective. You did however, avoid my question. If Obama had been charged with the same offenses as Trump would you have supported impeachment?

I can’t honestly tell you what I would have done. But when people like Maxine Waters, who does not like Trump, say that the Russia info was a “Nothing Burger,” it is hard to believe that there was ever a chance of anything coming out of it. 

Did you support the impeachment of Trump? Would you have supported the impeachment of Obama in a similar situation? Should Biden be investigated for possible ties to Ukraine and China?

9 hours ago, tomcat said:

I think any fair minded person would agree with charges being brought if the accusation was substantiated.    But its obvious that Obama was held to a different standard and alot of things he did were overlooked 

On 11/4/2020 at 4:58 PM, autigeremt said:

Yeah, and here's an example of who runs Alabama:

“The election results are out of control,” Tuberville said in a tweet following Trump’s speech. “It’s like the whistle has blown, the game is over, and the players have gone home, but the referees are suddenly adding touchdowns to the other team’s side of the scoreboard.”

But you keep those "elites" (educated?) in check.  Let 'em move somewhere else so 'bama can stay 'bama.

6 hours ago, auskip07 said:

I think any fair minded person would agree with charges being brought if the accusation was substantiated.    But its obvious that Obama was held to a different standard and alot of things he did were overlooked 

Did Obama abuse the presidency to leverage a foreign leader help him attack his political opponent?   Trump's own words weren't enough to "substantiate" what he did?

The failure to convict was all on McConnell and the Senate.  The whole thing turned into a sham.

And if you are going to use Obama as a 'whataboutism', make it specific.

58 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, and here's an example of who runs Alabama:

“The election results are out of control,” Tuberville said in a tweet following Trump’s speech. “It’s like the whistle has blown, the game is over, and the players have gone home, but the referees are suddenly adding touchdowns to the other team’s side of the scoreboard.”

But you keep those "elites" (educated?) in check.  Let 'em move somewhere else so 'bama can stay 'bama.

It's not possible to have a high minded debate on policy with people who are triggered by others telling them "Happy Holidays."

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Sigh

Tubs in good company. Sad but true.

Archived