Well, Jones lost...

DKW 86

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

What make you think Doug Jones didn't represent the "people who elected him"?

Doug Jones won because the people who usually vote republican knew better than to vote for Roy Moore. If Jones had been willing to vote against impeaching Trump and and had voted to confirm Kavanaugh then he might be preparing to serve another term. He was unwilling not to be partisan and it cost him. His partisanship may earn him the AG spot, so he may be glad he put his party over his constituents.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Grumps said:

Doug Jones won because the people who usually vote republican knew better than to vote for Roy Moore. If Jones had been willing to vote against impeaching Trump and and had voted to confirm Kavanaugh then he might be preparing to serve another term. He was unwilling not to be partisan and it cost him. His partisanship may earn him the AG spot, so he may be glad he put his party over his constituents.

What complete BS this is. :bs:  Great example of "begging the question" to a max.

Taking a principled stand is not "partisan".   Throwing your principles out the window for political reasons is partisan.  (See Lindsey Graham.)

Only a MAGA would see a vote for impeachment as necessarily partisan.  They're good at ignoring the facts.

16 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

He went to school in Arkansas....just sayin.

He represents Alabama though.  Alabama voters sent an apparently uneducated idiot to represent them, not Arkansas voters.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

He represents Alabama though.  Alabama voters sent an apparently uneducated idiot to represent them, not Arkansas voters.

Well, you could take a good long look at most Alabama pols and say close to the same thing. I have heard Reed and Worley both say some truly cosmically bad stuff over the years... Howell Heflin? I could google some of Heflins mumbling idiotic diatribes. Want to hear him totally fail at asking Anita Hill questions? I just bring this to mind. TT may be no WORSE, than some that went before him. We collectively elected him and will bear that shame for a while. But even Biden has said some truly dumb things over the years. That isnt an excuse for TT, I am just saying that he isnt the only one. 

On 11/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, Brad_ATX said:

I think many here forget who represents Americans in Congress. Idiots abound. I suggest revisiting the rolls.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 3:15 PM, Grumps said:

Y'all are hilarious!!! Who knew that the purpose of the Senate was to have a good Quiz Bowl team!

If Doug Jones had compromised some then he might have kept his seat. Voting to impeach Trump when NO ONE thought anything would come of it and voting against the confirmation of Kavanaugh sealed his fate. He is way smarter than Tuberville, but he was not smart enough to keep his senate seat (though admittedly that may not have been his ultimate goal).

Honestly, not trying to troll here...I absolutely believe that IF Doug Jones had voted with the Republican side every time on EVERY issue...that he still would have lost to Tubberville in this race simply because he is listed as a Democrat. Heck, a majority of voters in Alabama use the 'straight ticket' option on the ballot to automatically vote for either all republican or all democrat candidates with one mark. IF he had voted against impeachment and for Kavanaugh, I don't believe it would have mattered one bit to most Alabama voters. 

I also don't believe that Jones beat Moore because of Republican voters switching to Jones. It was still an incredibly close race, and I believe the main difference was more Republicans just chose to not vote at all instead of voting for Moore like they normally would have done.

34 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Honestly, not trying to troll here...I absolutely believe that IF Doug Jones had voted with the Republican side every time on EVERY issue...that he still would have lost to Tubberville in this race simply because he is listed as a Democrat. Heck, a majority of voters in Alabama use the 'straight ticket' option on the ballet to automatically vote for either all republican or all democrat candidates with one mark. IF he had voted against impeachment and for Kavanaugh, I don't believe it would have mattered one bit to most Alabama voters. 

You may be right. Straight Ticket Voting is the first sign you are too stupid to vote IMHO. If you are that hopelessly partisan, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

I also don't believe that Jones beat Moore because of Republican voters switching to Jones. It was still an incredibly close race, and I believe the main difference was more Republicans just chose to not vote at all instead of voting for Moore like they normally would have done.

I differ here. I actually think that enough Republicans were actually offended by Moore that it drove them to proactively vote for Jones. 

Great post btw.

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Honestly, not trying to troll here...I absolutely believe that IF Doug Jones had voted with the Republican side every time on EVERY issue...that he still would have lost to Tubberville in this race simply because he is listed as a Democrat. Heck, a majority of voters in Alabama use the 'straight ticket' option on the ballet to automatically vote for either all republican or all democrat candidates with one mark. IF he had voted against impeachment and for Kavanaugh, I don't believe it would have mattered one bit to most Alabama voters. 

Great post! I don't really disagree. But the fact that the republicans did not vote for Moore tells you that they have at least SOME standards. On the votes that really mattered to republicans, Jones would not deviate from the democrat party line. I agree with you that Tuberville probably would have still won, but I still believe that Jones did nothing to try to get the votes of people like me who did not think Tuberville was a good candidate.

Jones had to at least toss a bone to the conservatives on one or two of the big three votes... Impeachment, Kavanaugh or Barrett. The Dem votes would have been there in November and he likely has enough GOPers who couldn't stomach Tuberville. Especially if he explains his logic. That's what keeps Manchin in office out of WV. Manchin is an old pre-Obama southern Democrat that’s socially moderate and fiscally conservative. Nothing wrong with being that and owning it. Alabama just isn't ready to stop fighting the Civil War. 

In Alabama, we have 60%+ voting straight line party votes. I dont think anything would have gotten Jones elected. I say this having donated etc. This state is just that backward. Jones only won before because Moore was so cosmically bad AND it was a single special runoff election. If that runoff had been in a regular election cycle, with other party members on the ballot, Jones would lose every time. 

On 1/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, BizTiger said:

Jones had to at least toss a bone to the conservatives on one or two of the big three votes... Impeachment, Kavanaugh or Barrett. The Dem votes would have been there in November and he likely has enough GOPers who couldn't stomach Tuberville. Especially if he explains his logic. That's what keeps Manchin in office out of WV. Manchin is an old pre-Obama southern Democrat that’s socially moderate and fiscally conservative. Nothing wrong with being that and owning it. Alabama just isn't ready to stop fighting the Civil War. 

I don't think there are near as many Republicans in Alabama who don't care for Tuberville as you think. Tuberville won the crowded primary based ONLY on the fact that he was the biggest Trump fan among the contenders and that Trump advocated for him. Byrne and Sessions...and then Jones in the general, spent too much time talking policies, goals, and 'politics', while Tuberville was cruising the state avoiding cameras and reporters, talking about how his primary goal would be to support Trump every day, in every way, and that his greatest advantage was being an outsider who knows nothing about politics and thus wont let personal goals or ambition get in his way of being Donald Trumps surrogate in the senate. 

THAT is what Alabama GOP voters wanted in a state senator and that's exactly who they elected. To say they were closely weighing Jones's voting record against...whatever they thought made Tommy qualified for the job..is giving Bamas GOP voters way too much credit IMO. 

On 11/4/2020 at 4:58 PM, autigeremt said:

No shocker here. Jones was ok given the situation but this isn't Mass.....the elites run that show up there. 

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have read, even for an Alabamian.

On 11/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Well, it is Alabama...uneducated fits like an isotoner glove

11 hours ago, 1716AU said:

Well, it is Alabama...uneducated fits like an isotoner glove

Indeed

On 11/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, autigeremt said:

No shocker here. Jones was ok given the situation but this isn't Mass.....the elites run that show up there. 

Not true. MA puts forth centrist  Republicans with broad appeal.

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not true. MA puts forth centrist  Republicans with broad appeal.

If you are a liberal, yes. 

Just now, TexasTiger said:

As long as you’re left of Attila the Hun, you should find MA Republicans centrists.

I was thinking more of Stalin. 

15 hours ago, 1716AU said:

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have read, even for an Alabamian.

Always humorous when people who voted for the guy with the gold toilets... and whose wife wouldn't move into the White House at first because it wasn't as nice as her apartment in New York... and who is the ultimate trust fund baby... complain about "the elites". 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Always humorous when people who voted for the guy with the gold toilets... and whose wife wouldn't move into the White House at first because it wasn't as nice as her apartment in New York... and who is the ultimate trust fund baby... complain about "the elites". 

If you are voting for someone for President in this country you are voting for someone with $$$$$. Odd how that works. 

7 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

If you are voting for someone for President in this country you are voting for someone with $$$$$. Odd how that works. 

So that only applies to POTUS, huh?

I guess Tommy Tuberville got into public service because he needed the money.

And lord knows Kelly Loeffler is hurting. 

Odd how that works. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Tommy Tuberville is a certified moron 

I hardly ever post over here but was coming on to post this same exact thing. It's been 0 days since Tuberville has proven to be an idiot and an embarrassment to Alabama and the country.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Tommy Tuberville is a certified moron 

Wow. I mean just...wow. Tuberville is a college graduate. How can you graduate from college, no matter what your major, and be this stupid? People with fake degrees from "diploma mills" are better informed than Senator Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) (Moron)

Archived