2021 4 * SG Trey Alexander Signs With AU! (Update 11/18/20)

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I like his game. I just don't want it to me a trade for scoot. He's really really who I want missing jd was bad enough. But I like this kids game. He reminds me of Jamaal Murray a bit

His midrange pull-up was the most impressive part of his game that I saw. An effortless, smooth stroke from multiple angles, taking what he was given and not forcing the action

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And just because I was curious Bruce still recruited 6 of the top 11 recruits all time for UT including their 2 highest ranked players ever in the star era. 

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

And just because I was curious Bruce still recruited 6 of the top 11 recruits all time for UT including their 2 highest ranked players ever in the star era. 

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

That's not everybody or maybe the site wasn't around then but I know one of the most talented players they've ever had is Vincent Yarborough, Marcus haislip as well. I know that team well as my big homie played for Tennessee but this is when Jerry green was the coach

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

His midrange pull-up was the most impressive part of his game that I saw. An effortless, smooth stroke from multiple angles, taking what he was given and not forcing the action

That's what made me think of Jamaal Murray. Seemed to score efficiently at all levels

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

With the additions of Bari and Trey Alexander in the past month BRUUUUUUCE has 11 of the top 13 recruits all time in the star era for AU!!!! WOOOO!!!! LETS GOOOO BRUUUUCE!!!!!!!!!

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

This list is missing Brandon Robinson, Marco Killingworth, Dwayne Curtis. Either Marco or Brandon were rated very high. Maybe both actually. Marco had a skilled post game and Robinson was probably a top 5 athlete of all time

And if it goes back a little further doc Robinson was rated very high. Jamison brewer and Marquis Daniels were like 3 stars. Brewer was my favorite PG ever here. 

Edit I saw Curtis on there. 

Edited by cole256

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just want to give a shout out to muhhhhhhh boy my ride or die my best fraaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd @Tiger He has known for a couple of weeks that the hay was in the barn and Trey was AU bound. But he was sworn to secrecy and could not say anything!!!!! WHAT A NICE SUPRISE THIS WAS!!! Just a couple of weeks ago it looked like we were 2 or 3!!! WOOOOO!!!!!! WAR DAMN BRUUUUUUUUUUCE!!! and War damn our bball crutin insider TIGERH!!!!!!! LETS GOO!!!!!

@TigerI didn't know you had connections. Share what you can more often please.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Side note: It's also been purported here they intentionally pulled out of the JD sweepstakes

FTR that's from a football insider. Have you seen basketball insiders on other boards confirm it? I haven't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Vincent Yarborough, Marcus haislip

They both did finish high school before the recruiting site era which started in 2003 in basketball.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

r.gif

ttyy.gif

dsfffd.gif

You’re the master of the GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@cole256 Would he affect Scoot? Trey is a 2. Scoot is listed as a 1 in the next class.

Some guards are like that as far as when they are that good they want minutes right away

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

They both did finish high school before the recruiting site era which started in 2003 in basketball.

Ahhh. Somebody had one though but I remember Vincent was highly rated, five strar. I'm pretty sure haislip was too. Haislip was one of the most athletic power forwards I've ever seen. He had a dunk against us......it literally blew my mind. I waited the entire game just wanting them to show it over and over

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Rednilla At least one will have to leave. Both enrolling would put us one over the maximum limit.

I know, but I was going more on the idea that someone not getting much playing time would transfer, rather than someone leaving college early for the pros. In other words, none of the major contributors from this team gone. Probably should have made that more clear, right? Oops.

Although that being said, losing one big man wouldn't be as big a deal because Jabari will almost certainly step in and make an immediate impact, so if Thor were to have a huge year and decide to go pro, we'd still be in good shape all the way around. What would really hurt is if Coop were to show out and go early. I know it is expected that he'll be here at least 2 years, but PG is the one position we really can't afford to lose the starter going between 20-21 and 21-22.

14 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

What would really hurt is if Coop were to show out and go early.

I'm not worried about it. Bruce has proven time & time again he can land or develop PGs. Gotta think AU has positioned themselves to be very attractive to a quality transfer or quality high school PG that has dragged out their recruitment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

I like his game. I just don't want it to me a trade for scoot. He's really really who I want missing jd was bad enough. But I like this kids game. He reminds me of Jamaal Murray a bit

I don't see why it would be a trade for Scoot. I think the plan is for Coop to man the point for the next two years, and then he moves on to the NBA and Scoot comes in and takes over. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, I dunno, but that's the way it seems.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I don't see why it would be a trade for Scoot. I think the plan is for Coop to man the point for the next two years, and then he moves on to the NBA and Scoot comes in and takes over. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, I dunno, but that's the way it seems.

People blow up coop's draft potential, but like I said earlier when you're as good as scoot is you want to play immediately. Pretty much what happened with us with davion Mitchell. 

And scoot will want to  showcase his pg skills. That is what will separate him from elite prospect to dime a dozen prospect.

Edited by cole256
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Back then I think it was scout that ran everything. Oh and I forgot about Scotty hopson and JP Prince. Prince was a 5 star.....these are long versatile guards that Bruce actually prefers. I believe prince ended up going to Arizona or came from Arizona or something like that

But they did stars before then or maybe just rankings but I think I remember stars

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, cole256 said:

People blow up coop's draft potential, but like I said earlier when you're as good as scoot is you want to play immediately. Pretty much what happened with us with davion Mitchell. 

And scoot will want to anywhere l showcase his pg skills. That is what will separate him from elite prospect to dime a dozen prospect.

I know full well we don't get Scoot if Coop stays more than 2 years. I didn't suggest or even imply otherwise. I just don't think Coop stays more than 2 years. I don't know how he'll do for draft potential because he's not got prototypical height, but I expect him to be ready for the League physically by then, and I doubt he'll be able to play his way any higher than he will have by then, so you gotta know Bruce will encourage him to go on, just like he did Jared Harper (who is, of course, the guy Bruce compared him to four years ago, when Coop was a freshman in high school).

I don't know, it just feels like it's lining up for us to be the ideal spot for Scoot to come and step in. Maybe that's just me dreaming, but it's quite a lovely dream, and Bruce has made several of those materialize over the last few years.

Edited by Rednilla
Oops, mixed up the player names

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Back then I think it was scout that ran everything. Oh and I forgot about Scotty hopson and JP Prince. Prince was a 5 star.....these are long versatile guards that Bruce actually prefers. I believe prince ended up going to Arizona or came from Arizona or something like that

But they did stars before then or maybe just rankings but I think I remember stars

Some people or companies did do stars before 2003 but it didn’t become streamlined and nomenclature in basketball until then. Not discounting any services or people who had recruits ranked 4 or five stars before the recruiting side era. It’s just hard to find their information now.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know, it just feels like it's lining up for us to be the ideal spot for Coop to come and step in. Maybe that's just me dreaming, but it's quite a lovely dream, and Bruce has made several of those materialize over the last few years

Cooper is quite a bit better as a facilitator than a scorer right now so if Cooper has a blowup first year the other players on the team are going to have to step up offensively or he will have to take his scoring to another level.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I know full well we don't get Scoot if Coop stays more than 2 years. I didn't suggest or even imply otherwise. I just don't think Coop stays more than 2 years. I don't know how he'll do for draft potential because he's not got prototypical height, but I expect him to be ready for the League physically by then, and I doubt he'll be able to play his way any higher than he will have by then, so you gotta know Bruce will encourage him to go on, just like he did Jared Harper (who is, of course, the guy Bruce compared him to four years ago, when Coop was a freshman in high school).

I don't know, it just feels like it's lining up for us to be the ideal spot for Coop to come and step in. Maybe that's just me dreaming, but it's quite a lovely dream, and Bruce has made several of those materialize over the last few years.

Well when you originally ask why do I think a trade because I don't see coop leaving early so that means you have coop thoroughly engraved at point and a bunch of candidates playing off ball, as far as most talented trey will probably be one with a heads up on the offense. And even if we run a 3 guard offense like I said scoot will want to showcase his PG skills. 

And that's not even thinking about how we will have to play one of our taller guards to be able to match up on defense to make up for coop's size

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well when you originally ask why do I think a trade because I don't see coop leaving early so that means you have coop thoroughly engraved at point and a bunch of candidates playing off ball, as far as most talented trey will probably be one with a heads up on the offense. And even if we run a 3 guard offense like I said scoot will want to showcase his PG skills. 

And that's not even thinking about how we will have to play one of our taller guards to be able to match up on defense to make up for coop's size

...If Coop doesn't leave early, we're not getting Scoot, regardless of Trey Alexander. You're right, Scoot wants to showcase his skills at the point, and unless Coop either leaves or underperforms, the latter of which I see as unlikely, he's going to have a massive roadblock to starting at PG here.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Some people or companies did do stars before 2003 but it didn’t become streamlined and nomenclature in basketball until then. Not discounting any services or people who had recruits ranked 4 or five stars before the recruiting side era. It’s just hard to find their information now.

Yeah it's fuzzy but it's coming back to me. I'm pretty sure it was a site called Scout and every team had a scout recruiting page. I remember Vincent even though he was first team sec still didn't live up to his hype. He's easily top 2 recruit Tennessee ever had. He was ranked super high in the small forward class and a few people in it was Mike Miller, Quinton Richardson, Richard Jefferson, Cory maggette! His class was stacked and many felt he was the best player!

His career ended in the NBA when Kobe got a hold of him when he was destroying everybody lol. He's the guy Kobe did the behind the back 360 dunk on!

He was very talented but too passive imo. But anyway I'm just saying there was a time that wasn't too far off where Tennessee was number 1 in the nation with a bunch of talent. 

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Cooper is quite a bit better as a facilitator than a scorer right now so if Cooper has a blowup first year the other players on the team are going to have to step up offensively or he will have to take his scoring to another level.

I actually mistyped and put Coop in the quoted part instead of Scoot. I meant that it would be ideal for Scoot to take over for Coop in two years.

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

...If Coop doesn't leave early, we're not getting Scoot, regardless of Trey Alexander. You're right, Scoot wants to showcase his skills at the point, and unless Coop either leaves or underperforms, the latter of which I see as unlikely, he's going to have a massive roadblock to starting at PG here.

I think if trey wasn't here we'd still have a chance. I've seen offenses where Bruce was able to really showcase 2 high level guards. I think 3 would be too much though. I don't think any other guard on the roster would make scoot worried about beating them out