2021 3* CB Dontae Balfour (UNC 2/3)

ellitor

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Just realized this kid lives in Starke, FL? He can't sign soon enough. One of the most miserable towns I've ever been to. Has two off brand motels and mine was covered in dry blood and roaches. How they won the bid to host regional that year I'll never know.

Only notable fact about that town is that Ted Bundy was executed there.

Right down road from Waldo. For those not familiar with this other shitacke hole google is your friend! 301 through this area is like land that time forgot!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, Zeek said:

Only notable fact about that town is that Ted Bundy was executed there.

Plus they turn off as much electricity in the town as possible to give more juice for Ted

• ellitor changed the title to ***2021 3* CB Dontae Balfour (Commit Watch, 12/16/20)***
  • 2 weeks later...
  • ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* CB Dontae Balfour (Commit Watch, 12/16/20: 3 PM CT)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* CB Dontae Balfour
On 11/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, McLoofus said:

bUt wE DoN't geT OuR heADs TuRNed aRouND

I hear you, and my tv has had that same thing yelled at it. I have to admit though, I saw improvement in that all season long!! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Not sure what it means but there seem to be a lot of UNC people commenting on this.

Keith liked Auburn’s chances as of yesterday for what it’s worth.

FWIW autigers07 says not looking good here. Says we are behind UNC. Thinks we offer Juwon Gaston soon as a Safety. Much like Balfour Gaston had a great week at the Alabama Mississippi All Star week/game & had a monster season on D & in returning kicks.

I read an article posted on facebook that i think came from 247 where they interviews Balfour. What he had to say about AU did not give me the warm and fuzzies on him coming here. He said things like things we recruiting was "ok so far" and "Mason seems like an ok guy. That the coaches were "going to recruit me hard.....i've talk to them twice". Nothing there that is the kiss of death but he certainly did not sound overly excited talking about AU.

5 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I read an article posted on facebook that i think came from 247 where they interviews Balfour. What he had to say about AU did not give me the warm and fuzzies on him coming here. He said things like things we recruiting was "ok so far" and "Mason seems like an ok guy. That the coaches were "going to recruit me hard.....i've talk to them twice". Nothing there that is the kiss of death but he certainly did not sound overly excited talking about AU.

@gravejd Can you link the article? TIA

Tigers make final 3 for DB target Dontae Balfour

ByKEITH NIEBUHR Jan 18, 10:11 AM

x

Defensive back Dontae Balfour of Starke (Fla.) Bradford County has named a final 3. Not surprisingly, Auburn has made the cut.

According to Balfour, who the Tigers offered last fall, Auburn, LSU and North Carolina comprise his top group. Of those three, Auburn was first to offer but the others have come on strong of late.

Balfour was close to picking the Tigers and signing in December during the early signing period. But after Auburn fired Coach Gus Malzahn, he pumped the brakes on his recruitment. 

Now, his plan is to announce a decision Feb. 3 -- National Signing Day.

The new Auburn staff appears to like him as much as the old staff. This group also has prioritized him. And, we've learned some at Auburn like the Tigers' chances.

Here's what we wrote about Balfour last week ...

Regarding the new Auburn staff’s recruitment of 3-star defensive back Dontae Balfour, the best phrase to describe the situation might be this: So far, so good.

The Tigers offered the 6-feet-2, 170-pound Balfour last Nov. 2. And for weeks things appeared to be trending toward the corner/safety ultimately picking the Tigers during the early signing period.

But when Auburn fired Gus Malzahn in December, Balfour pumped the brakes on his recruitment. A couple weeks later, the Tigers hired Bryan Harsin as Malzahn’s successor. Later hires included Derek Mason as defensive coordinator and Zac Etheridge as cornerbacks coach. Many expect Mason to coach the safeties.

After talking with Mason for the first time last week, Balfour described him as being a “cool dude.”

He now has spoken with Etheridge, a former Auburn defensive back.

“I’m just now getting to know him; he seems like a pretty nice dude,” Balfour said. “He said he’s going to recruit me hard. I talked to him twice.”

With Auburn having a need in the secondary, Balfour appears to be a priority recruit. Additionally, we expect the Tigers to continue exploring the transfer portal for back-end help.

Balfour the No. 84 recruit in the state of Florida for 247Sports, could be in line for one more ratings bumps after having a solid senior season. He finished the 2020 season with 25 catches for 428 yards -- and four interceptions -- one being a 100-yard pick six. He’s a three-sport athlete who also plays basketball and runs track.

1COMMENTS

LSU, North Carolina and Penn State are three of his most recent offers. Right now, he seems fairly open to all.

“I’m announcing my decision on the 3rd (of Feb.),” Balfour said.

Per Keith Auburn has made this a race with North Carolina. I don’t think some people realize this but if Auburn wins this battle it’s a really nice statement for Mason and Etheridge. Beating a great recruiter like Dre Bly is not an easy task, especially starting from behind on the relationship department.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, ellitor said:

Per Keith Auburn has made this a race with North Carolina. I don’t think some people realize this but if Auburn wins this battle it’s a really nice statement for Mason and Etheridge. Beating a great recruiter like Dre Bly is not an easy task, especially starting from behind on the relationship department.

Zac has a really high ceiling.  He has been to my school a couple times over the last couple years and, IMO, he will blossom at AU and become elite.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Zac has a really high ceiling.  He has been to my school a couple times over the last couple years and, IMO, he will blossom at AU.

I think he’s going to turn into one of our best recruiters 

For what it’s worth jughead posted this morning he is starting to like Auburn’s chances here. Keith did not go that far but he did say this morning that there is more optimism in Auburn after a good conversation they had with Balfour yesterday.

• ellitor changed the title to ***2021 3* CB Dontae Balfour (Commit Watch 2/3, 4 PM CT)***

Archived